Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
You might be surprised. Each iteration of the fuel creation process only has a chance to use up some of the ingredients. So a couple of stacks of each will last you for quite a while.
Sludge boiler gives required stuff even less often - it like to give all the BoP stuff awailable - like mud, clay, heat sand and whatever is possible in BoP. And we don't have many farms currently - a tree farm, a reed farm and a wheat farm, all 7x7.
Having said that, none of those processes were continuously running.
Doesn't gas turbine use way more fuel when spinning up? And it doesn't the max reach operational speed for... some time, so maybe it's not a good idea to use it non-continuously?
And that's what worries me a bit - it looks like you are using jet fuel mostly for reactors (which are probably fun, haven't tried the mod yet) and ore processing. I was pondering about ore processing in mods for some time and honestly I think that large multipliers at the endgame are just a waste of time. I'd like to use x5 when I mine ore by hand, but when I have some automatic miner or lazor it will probably give me more ore than I can use even if I just smelt it straight away.

Regarding reactors, what do you use reactors for? :3

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Doesn't gas turbine use way more fuel when spinning up? And it doesn't the max reach operational speed for... some time, so maybe it's not a good idea to use it non-continuously?
The expense of spinning it up is offset by the free power you get when you turn it off (ECU) and it continues running for a while w/o fuel.

And that's what worries me a bit - it looks like you are using jet fuel mostly for reactors (which are probably fun, haven't tried the mod yet) and ore processing. I was pondering about ore processing in mods for some time and honestly I think that large multipliers at the endgame are just a waste of time. I'd like to use x5 when I mine ore by hand, but when I have some automatic miner or lazor it will probably give me more ore than I can use even if I just smelt it straight away.
That's probably fairly true. Some ores are more rare than others though, and if you're playing RoC, at that point in the game you're probably perpetually low on iron.

Regarding reactors, what do you use reactors for? :3
A means of powering your whole base without jetfuel. Also really fun end-game projects. Pimp-factor.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
The expense of spinning it up is offset by the free power you get when you turn it off (ECU) and it continues running for a while w/o fuel.
Though, you don't probably need that power at that point...
That's probably fairly true. Some ores are more rare than others though, and if you're playing RoC, at that point in the game you're probably perpetually low on iron.
Well we don't use RoC that heavily so we have plenty of iron for now since it's pretty common. And we don't have an autominer setup yet, just TiCo hammers. Well, I actually lost mine because of stupid p-engine mechanics.
A means of powering your whole base without jetfuel. Also really fun end-game projects. Pimp-factor.
wait, how do you power the base with reactor? Isn't distributing power among machines with different requirements painfully hard with RoC?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
wait, how do you power the base with reactor? Isn't distributing power among machines with different requirements painfully hard with RoC?

It's all about how you turbine. You can either use a turbine generator multiblock which produces RF directly or the standard turbines which output shaft power, which you can either transport as-is or convert to other types to suit your transporting desires ;)

Reactions: Pyure and Padfoote

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
It's all about how you turbine. You can either use a turbine generator multiblock which produces RF directly or the standard turbines which output shaft power, which you can either transport as-is or convert to other types to suit your transporting desires ;)
Wow, I didn't know you can get RF from reactors...
Or you can use ElectriCraft, which is made just for that purpose.
Haven't tried that mod either. Is it OK to use? Where can I read about it?

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft is hard, until you laern how to and get enough resources to brute-force stuff.

I used 1k iron just to make enough hydrokinetic engines to run an extractor. 8 hydro engines and 2 16-1 bedrock gearboxes. The most straightforward setup, and the most costly.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

RF from an ReC reactor beats pretty much everything by a large margin. Block for block it destroys Big Reactors for instance. However its also hefty performance wise and comes with dangers that aren't (yet) present in BR.

ElectriCraft is probably my favorite electrical system out there. There's nothing out there to read about it unless there's a well-done wiki I haven't seen. Your best bet is to check out the various youtube videos covering it and ask questions here.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019

There is a cool item (multiblock actually) called the turbine generator which, when connected to a turbine, turns everything into RF

Pyure made a good guide on EC here
and I just realize he was here since he changed his avatar :O
I'd make a HTGR which doesn't need uranium enrichment, and jet fuel production - well, if you make 1 KB per minute it makes no sense to keep it running.

You need to run the exchanger at 4 MW IIRC. That's a real pain without Jet fuel ;) I did it with a Gas Turbine at 25% speed IIRC. It's possible (not saying it's not!) Just saying it would be easier to do it with jet fuel

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently the sheer scale and power of RoC and ReC proved to be too much for them. Though I do have a question about the wood cutter. It seems to mostly work as intended, except every time I walk by it there's saplings all over (I'm guessing it's because of the mod that's making the leaves decay fast). If I put a vacuum hopper next to the logging area, would that keep the woodcutter from replanting (it's not echanted)?

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
Holy crap. Reika himself is in my thread. o.o

I haven't given up, I have tried and tried and tried and finally have some things down now. I understand the basics of power generaton, how to get things working and several different things. Next up is Reactorcraft, which, as stated in a thread I am currently typing, I have noticed is highly inefficient with uranium pellets... or maybe that's just an old version.

But, I am quite honored for you to post in this thread, Reika. Your work is amazing, even though i feel I'm too stupid to fully grasp it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICountFrom0