Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
I can't believe all this, just for the x5 processing. Mekanism (Which also has x5 Processing) and Atomic Science never had me tearing my hair out like this. Unfortunately if I want to be able to multiply things like Mimichite, which Mekanism doesn't support, I /have/ to learn thsi infuriating mod. GREGTECH on HARD never gave me this much trouble!

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Oh, and the performance of ElectriCraft went up 425% in the latest release.
I can't believe all this, just for the x5 processing. Mekanism (Which also has x5 Processing) and Atomic Science never had me tearing my hair out like this.

They also don't rely on the player to do real world physics.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I can't believe all this, just for the x5 processing. Mekanism (Which also has x5 Processing) and Atomic Science never had me tearing my hair out like this. Unfortunately if I want to be able to multiply things like Mimichite, which Mekanism doesn't support, I /have/ to learn thsi infuriating mod. GREGTECH on HARD never gave me this much trouble!
they are many threads on how to do this efficiently, but remember not too rush anything

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Unfortunately if I want to be able to multiply things like Mimichite, which Mekanism doesn't support, I /have/ to learn thsi infuriating mod. GREGTECH on HARD never gave me this much trouble!

Because there is a HUGE difference between this and GregTech. GregTech is pure resources and repetition. RotaryCraft is math, problem solving, and a ton of iron.

Reactions: trajing and Pyure

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
If I wanted to do math in insane amounts like this I'd go back and continue working on my orbital lifesupport station in Kerbal Space Program.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
It's not that hard...
power=speed*torque
Gearbox on speed = speed*ratio, torque/ratio
opposite for torque
shaft junction need same speed, add their torque together...

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019

You don't sound like you are approaching the mod with the midset you want to learn how to use it. Sounds like you just want the final output -- 5x ores and are looking for the easiest shortcut you can take to get there.

I don't remember the extractor being that complicated to run. I tested two setups -- one for earlish game where I could flip a lever and go from high speed output to high torque at the minimum total power level the extractor needed. Powered by the one that accepts falling water.

And then later one with various engines that went through CVTs to always provide the minimum torque for each step and ran at top speed -- or may have been reverse of that... whatever one does more work as your scale past the minimum the machine needs.

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
I know it's not that difficult for the math. But the real thing that is making me frustrated is that instead of having normal generator tiers, she has generators that don't even come close to the requirements for her machines. I can't seem to get that right. I am now trying to run an extractor on a performance engine, and everything is fine, but then I realize the second and third stages don't have enough speed when I use a 16:1 steel gearshaft. So I switch the gearshaft to Speed mode... and suddenly the 1st and 4th stages are out of torque. It's this sort of infuriating switcharound that makes me frustrated; and don't just tell me to use a Jet Turbine either. WHile it does do the extractor well, the rate it eats Jet fuel means that any survival attempt for it leaves it completely lacking, and can only run for a few seconds.

And @Peppe - I stopped trying to approach the mod with the midset of learning it when 14 hours of trying to learn it through tutorials and do things step by step left me with a pile of wasted resources, wasted time, and being stuck with a grinder that is slow as molasses. At this point all I want is the extractor. I don't want the ractors, I won't ask for bedrock tools, I will effectively shelve my excitement on creating a fully functional nuclear reactor, because I can't understand this mod.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
so far to start, I just charge a coil and drop it infront of a machine, type whatever I want into the output, while the other coil is charging. Switch it out like batteries... for now until I get a better grasp of how to effectively use the different shaft arrangements.

Reactions: Pyure

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I know it's not that difficult for the math. But the real thing that is making me frustrated is that instead of having normal generator tiers, she has generators that don't even come close to the requirements for her machines. I can't seem to get that right. I am now trying to run an extractor on a performance engine, and everything is fine, but then I realize the second and third stages don't have enough speed when I use a 16:1 steel gearshaft. So I switch the gearshaft to Speed mode... and suddenly the 1st and 4th stages are out of torque. It's this sort of infuriating switcharound that makes me frustrated; and don't just tell me to use a Jet Turbine either. WHile it does do the extractor well, the rate it eats Jet fuel means that any survival attempt for it leaves it completely lacking, and can only run for a few seconds.

And @Peppe - I stopped trying to approach the mod with the midset of learning it when 14 hours of trying to learn it through tutorials and do things step by step left me with a pile of wasted resources, wasted time, and being stuck with a grinder that is slow as molasses. At this point all I want is the extractor. I don't want the ractors, I won't ask for bedrock tools, I will effectively shelve my excitement on creating a fully functional nuclear reactor, because I can't understand this mod.

though the setup is now oudated, this should probably still work for the extractor
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/rotary-extractor-going-to-slow-for-you.39538/

basically you run the power into a CVT unit with belts that goes into the extractor and set the CVT unit to redstone mode
redstone on is 8x speed, redstone off is 32x speed (may have been changed by now), then add a redstone timer and toggle latch to constantly switch between cycles

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
though the setup is now oudated, this should probably still work for the extractor
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/rotary-extractor-going-to-slow-for-you.39538/

basically you run the power into a CVT unit with belts and set it to redstone mode
redstone on is 8x speed, redstone off is 32x speed, then add a redstone timer and toggle latch to constantly switch between cycles

Yushunoha. I want to strangle you. I know you mean well and are trying to help, and for that thank you. But this, once more, leads me to that same destructive cycle. I CANNOT GET BEDROCK DUST TO MAKE BEDROCK SHAFTS!

DepressivesBrot

Jul 29, 2019
Then either use a multiclutch with a second line of gearboxes and a timer or I've also seen someone using an autonomous activator to whack the gearbox with a screwdriver (also set on a timer).
Most ghetto way I've ever personally run an extractor was with an array of I think 16 steam engines and that timer+multiclutch setup.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Yushunoha. I want to strangle you. I know you mean well and are trying to help, and for that thank you. But this, once more, leads me to that same destructive cycle. I CANNOT GET BEDROCK DUST TO MAKE BEDROCK SHAFTS!

well, it's been more then half a year since I last played with Rotarycraft, so I guess it didn't really help you that much.
sorry for that.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

That's kind of the point of the tiers he's included in his mod. It isn't a "drop an engine and forget about it" mod like Mekanism or TE. One engine isn't enough? Chain them together. The mod gives you the tools to get everything to work. Either you put in the effort to figure it out, or the mod eats you. There's no other option here.

@Yusunoha made that awhile back. Pretty sure they didn't require bedrock then.

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
But Padfoote, the question is how do you merge them together? I need speed, yet gearboxes eat speed if they're no torque mode. So I set it to speed mode, and it eats my torque! Plus, torque never changes from what I understand, so chaining does not increase torque. So when you use a gearbox to increase torque, it eats at that speed that you had accumulated from chaining!

Also, how DO you tier up a Magnetostatic. I have looked online everywhere but there seems to be no guides.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
But Padfoote, the question is how do you merge them together? I need speed, yet gearboxes eat speed if they're no torque mode. So I set it to speed mode, and it eats my torque! Plus, torque never changes from what I understand, so chaining does not increase torque. So when you use a gearbox to increase torque, it eats at that speed that you had accumulated from chaining!

Shaft junctions merge. The torques of the incoming engines will be added together, the speed will remain as a single constant. Gearboxes will then change that at whatever ratio the gearbox is. It's a MANUAL change until you get the CVT, because that's how tiers work. Large effort for a large reward.

Reika has said this before, as have I: Trying to brute force RotaryCraft will not work. It will lead to frustration and a non-functioning system. If you aren't willing to put in the time and effort to figure out how to work everything in the tiers, the mod isn't for you.

Calech

Jul 29, 2019

If you can get Jet Fuel production going, running two Microturbines into a shaft junction, then through a 16x gear setup for torque, should allow you to run all four stages of the Extractor without adjustments, if my calculations are right.

When I first looked into RotaryCraft I tried setting up an Extractor to work using 16 Steam Engines. That didn't work out so well. After a while I came back to it and worked through the Magnetostatic tiers (I'm pretty sure that the Bedrock Breaker will run off a Tier 4 Magnetostatic in the version included in Monster, with appropriate gearing).

Oh, and checking the handbook I'm pretty sure that the Bedrock Breaker can run off a Microturbine - the problem is that you need to increase the torque by a factor of 512x, which can be done with 16x, 16x, and 2x gearboxes chained together... again, if my calculations are correct :)

With limited resources RotaryCraft can be a tough mod, as if you miscalculate you'll need to spend more material on alternative gearing - but it can also be a very rewarding mod, as the Borer is a set-it-and-forget-it mass mining monster, and the Extractor allows you to get maximum value out of its products.

Thread moving too fast to type reply...

Also, how DO you tier up a Magnetostatic. I have looked online everywhere but there seems to be no guides.

-Shaft junctions will add the torques but speed remains constant; gearboxes change torque and speed while keeping power constant (check the RotaryCraft handbook). The power is what doesn't change - a Microturbine is always 2MW, for instance.

- Search NEI for Converter Tier Upgrade - there are 5 tiers. Tier 1 uses ethanol, Tier 2 needs magnetising (do a stack at once as it's slow!), Tier 3 needs a Pulse Jet Furnace, Tier 4 requires a functional Extractor and Friction Heater attached to a Furnace, while Tier 5 is Bedrock. Right click the Magnetostatic with the upgrade to... upgrade.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019

I think this is the core of the issue. Again I have not played RC in a while, but the in game book or a wiki site should give you a reference on minimum speed and torque each step of the extractor requires.

The reward of 5x ore processing is behind solving the challenge of powering the extractor. Until you have 4MW to just toss at it and not worry about you will need to engineer a flexible gearing solution to provide high torque for step 1 and 4 and high speed for speed for step 2 and 3. That is the nature of the machine and all the tools to solve it are in the mod and don't require bedrock dust. You can get the 65Kw minimum the machine needs through most of the cheap power methods available in the early game.

I recall CVT being the easier of the solutions to flip between speed and torque like Yusanoha mentions. I recall that costing a lot of iron, so even before that you can use cheaper gear boxes to split your power off into two paths (high torque and high speed), rejoin to one path into the machine and use a clutch to control which side is active.

Extractor is one of the more complicated machines to run. Most of the other machines in the mod have just a single step, so you don't need very complex gearing to run them -- just meet the minimum and if they scale on torque/speed you can supply extra.

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
Reika has said this before, as have I: Trying to brute force RotaryCraft will not work. It will lead to frustration and a non-functioning system. If you aren't willing to put in the time and effort to figure out how to work everything in the tiers, the mod isn't for you.

I /know/ its not for me, but I have to learn it anyways. I'm going to be a server owner soon, and I have a duty to help players as they come in and need help. So, I guess I have to put even more time and effort in.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Shaft junctions merge. The torques of the incoming engines will be added together, the speed will remain as a single constant. Gearboxes will then change that at whatever ratio the gearbox is. It's a MANUAL change until you get the CVT, because that's how tiers work. Large effort for a large reward.

I need to pastelink my setups so far. To start off to get lub, I went with a 4 steam engine setup. It was a good first attempt at multiple engine setups using bevels and junctions. Even had to use a multijunction. Hydro will be even easier because they daisy up to each other. It also helps to think like buildcraft and not like TE when using RoC imo. BC is ideally meant to power locally. and TE is meant to power centrally.[DOUBLEPOST=1407437048][/DOUBLEPOST]I hear that the Industrial Coil is your friend when using the extractor.