Introducing JamPacked

zwar

Jul 29, 2019
I finished my pack and i had a really great idea for the map (which i started) but i found out about the contest a few days ago, and there's no way i will finish in the 2 weeks left. Good luck to everybody else.

DiegoAtravesar

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta say, I'm pretty sad that this isn't open to Canadians, as we usually end up grouped with US in contests and such, oh well. Guess my pack will just end up being a personal endeavour. Have to say, I'm glad this is in 1.6.4 as opposed to 1.7.X, as 1.7.X removes a lot of the difficulties and challenges experienced with the old ID systems still in place. I look forward to seeing the winning packs and trying them out(hopefully all of them!). Will definitely be keeping my eye on this in the hopes it opens up to Canadian Residents as well.(Out of curiosity, how will you verify the citizenship of each member of the teams/individuals?)

DiegoAtravesar

Jul 29, 2019
Since when did having to change IDs become hard? :p
Haha I never said it was hard ;) I said it lead to difficulties. Most people i know aren't capable of changing them, whether its due to lack or knowledge, lack of courage to attempt it, or simply because they're lazy and won't put the time in.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Haha I never said it was hard ;) I said it lead to difficulties. Most people i know aren't capable of changing them, whether its due to lack or knowledge, lack of courage to attempt it, or simply because they're lazy and won't put the time in.
IDFix-Minus

You're welcome ;)

DiegoAtravesar

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh, but can you make a good, 5-8 mod pack?

Depends on the kind of pack you want. If you wanted a pack that just slightly modified Vanilla to run smoother, be a bit more optimized, and possibly just add in extra food options, and more animals, absolutely. You could probably manage that in <10 mods, not counting core mods needed. Pams harvestcraft(More food options), Mo'Creatures(More mobs to enhance general exploration and peaceful creatures for people who prefer that), Optifine(for lower end PCs if needed), and any other personal choices that might add similar options, without branching too far from the vanilla experience.

Theoretically of course, you could build a skyblock map with something like that in mind, designed around breeding of animals(perhaps bees in Forestry, or Fish in Mariculture), and food (Harvestcraft and others), as well as some more advanced Vanilla mechanics or something. Like i mentioned before, you can manage a nicely balanced modpack with just a few mods, thats half the challenge anyway ;)

IDFix-Minus

You're welcome ;)
Haha thanks ;)

I am more than aware that tools like this exist, in fact I often encourage the lazy ones to use them in that case. It is, however, my personal preference to do these things by hand, even though it takes more time. I don't always agree with the way mods like that order the IDs, or deal with conflicts. I've also run into issues where certain versions of the mod might be semi-broken and will overwrite one ID for multiple blocks or items, without catching the error. Even with an updated version of the mod at the time(I don't recall the name anymore), it wouldn't fix itself, I had to go in and replace the IDs manually, as there were unfortunately no backups.

Obviously, that's just my preference, choosing to do them by hand. To each his own. :)

I enjoy spending the time and just straightening simple things like that out, i find it to be fairly relaxing.

Last edited:

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
is there a list of all the packs that have entered the contest? maybe one that includes links to the projects so fans, like myself, could follow the development of the packs?

DiegoAtravesar

Jul 29, 2019
is there a list of all the packs that have entered the contest? maybe one that includes links to the projects so fans, like myself, could follow the development of the packs?
Some people have been releasing the packs they're working on here with the tag [JamPacked]. Take a look, I ran into at least 4 or 5 that are out currently. I know the main post says they might set up a way to specifically enter the packs for the competition, so I'm sure there will be a proper way to enter them soon, but in the meantime, thats the best way I can think of. :)

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
There isn't currently a page to enter and once there is the entries will be closed I assume, if people want to show their work then fine but personally I'd want to keep my work private

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the quick replies. this is why I love this site and group. always responsive.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
So ... that means the packs have to be 1.6.4?!
Wouldn't it have been somewhat smarter to wait for a 1.7.10 release of HQM to support the ongoing advance to 1.7? But that'd be to late since people will start now anyway. ^_^

Have fun everyone, I think I'm way to uncreative to think of a decent setting sadly.

The problem with waiting until HQM is 1.7 is that most mods included in modpacks, like Agrarian Skies won't be updated yet, such as Tinker's Construct.