Introducing JamPacked

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I am entering the contest but I am wondering, are we allowed to do a modded sky-block like Agrarian Skies but way different. If you want me to explain my ideas, just reply to this post.

You are allowed to do anything you want, except copy an existing pack. THe more creative the idea the higher your score.

JACreations

Jul 29, 2019
Am I allowed to enter my dad into my team even tho he doesn't have minecraft?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't see why not. You could've just not told anyone and then he would still be in your team and the rest of the world would be none the wiser:p

Israel Rodriguez

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question. Is there a way to create a standard world setup like crowley skyblock does for every new world being a void? I want to have every world be setup a certain way. Like when you create a world with certain biomes with mystcraft.

What I'm looking to do is customize the Starter world "like void does" but with set starting biomes and Terrain. Anyone have an idea how this can be done? Is there a mod that does this? I still want to use Ex nilo.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
What I'm looking to do is customize the Starter world "like void does" but with set starting biomes and Terrain. Anyone have an idea how this can be done? Is there a mod that does this? I still want to use Ex nilo.
Ex Nihilo can do the void gen, and you can set the biomes with MCedit.
I recommend the Lockdown mod to generate a preset world each time.

Reactions: Kill-Joy

Israel Rodriguez

Jul 29, 2019
Ex Nihilo can do the void gen, and you can set the biomes with MCedit.
I recommend the Lockdown mod to generate a preset world each time.

So with lockdown I can make a customized world with every new game select like Ex Nihilo? My Idea is a kinda like skyblock except the world is either hellish or something else. You get a starting "Island" or safe area not infected. But resources will have to be gotten through EXN still. Just like in skyblock if you step off of the "island" you will pretty much die just in a differrent way. I was thinking of using Mystcraft to craft the world or save and go from there but it would be nice to have it auto gen'd everytime a new world is created like the void is done with EXN.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
So with lockdown I can make a customized world with every new game select like Ex Nihilo? My Idea is a kinda like skyblock except the world is either hellish or something else. You get a starting "Island" or safe area not infected. But resources will have to be gotten through EXN still. Just like in skyblock if you step off of the "island" you will pretty much die just in a differrent way. I was thinking of using Mystcraft to craft the world or save and go from there but it would be nice to have it auto gen'd everytime a new world is created like the void is done with EXN.
Yup. Just create the world like you want it, rename it to "template" and drop it in the Minecraft directory, and bam. All worlds will generate as that world.
Lockdown is here, by the way.

Scopius

Jul 29, 2019
I have an idea for a modpack, but I do not have the time or the skills to get a pack together for this jam. The pack would be Zombie Apocalypse, and you start in a village where all the villagers have been turned to zombies. You have taken in a stray cat that does not seem to be affected by the zombie virus. The end goal of this pack is, using the Advanced Genetics Mod to come up with a cure for the zombification. In the meantime, you will need to defend against the zombies, and maybe get some plants to help you with your defense (I don't know if pea shooters are a possibility, but there should be some novel means of defense vs. zombies, and why not plants?). As you will not be able to venture outside for long, you will need to make good use of all the zombie meat you collect.

Anyway, this is just a seed of an idea, and I'm putting it out there if anyone has the inclination to make a pack, but doesn't have a good starting point.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
BTW, is there a way to submit packs yet?
Not yet. As of now, people have just been paring them in the third-arty Modpacks section

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk
There will be a way for you to submit finished projects soon but I really don't understand why people are posting their work on the forums for other people to potentially copy, surely it'd be a good idea to keep your entry private?

Which reminds me actually, after entries are open you wont be able to see anything entered until after the competition entry period ends then the entries will be public

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
There will be a way for you to submit finished projects soon but I really don't understand why people are posting their work on the forums for other people to potentially copy, surely it'd be a good idea to keep your entry private?

Which reminds me actually, after entries are open you wont be able to see anything entered until after the competition entry period ends then the entries will be public
Because my pack existed before this was a thing. And, really, you need people to actually play your pack to get it balanced and tuned correctly. Also, at least in my case, I want people playing and enjoying my pack, even in its unfinished state, more than I care about any prize. Winning a prize would be nice, don't get me wrong, but that is decidedly not why my pack exists.

As for copying, well, it would be blatantly obvious in my case, at least, since my pack has been a thing for a month longer than this competition.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com

I like to take credit for my work-
Everybody always says how life is an Odyssey. The Odysseys are based off of Homer's great epic, The Odyssey. The particular part I'm referring to is in the beginning. After Odysseus and his men set off on thier journey back to their homeland, they stop for a rest on an island. This proves to be a mistake, as there is a giant cyclops there. The cyclops did not welcome them.
In order to escape, Odysseus and his men blind the Cyclops and leave. However, just as they are leaving, Odysseus turns and says: "I am Oddyseus!"
The Cyclops, angry at his lack of eyesight, tells his father, Poseidon. Poseidon then enacts a curse that prevent Odysseus from returning home for quite some time.
Had Odysseus not taken credit for his work by saying his name, there would have been no curse. It represents humanity because we like to take credit for our work, and this part of The Odyssey represents that part of us. So, I wanted to show it to others,show off my awesome idea (in my opinion). I wanted to take credit for something I had done. However, in this case, I don't think it's going to end with Poseidon cursing me :p
Pointless spoiler ^

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Because my pack existed before this was a thing. And, really, you need people to actually play your pack to get it balanced and tuned correctly. Also, at least in my case, I want people playing and enjoying my pack, even in its unfinished state, more than I care about any prize. Winning a prize would be nice, don't get me wrong, but that is decidedly not why my pack exists.

As for copying, well, it would be blatantly obvious in my case, at least, since my pack has been a thing for a month longer than this competition.

Yeah and packs started before the competition will get dinged by the judges since that wouldn't be fair to people who actually completed it in the month alloted.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah and packs started before the competition will get dinged by the judges since that wouldn't be fair to people who actually completed it in the month alloted.
Yeah. Eh, not really concerned about that. My pack was never designed for this, it just happens to qualify. If I win, I will be happy. Losing isn't a big deal. The real reward is watching people play my pack and having fun. Even if it is still fairly damn surreal watching people play something I created.

On another note, it will be interesting to see how many good complete packs come out of this. Making a mod pack can be done easily. Tying everything together in a sensible manner with HQM is another beast altogether. And if you add Minetweaker/Modtweaker...ow. The more I tinker with my pack, the more I appreciate the work that went into AgSkies. Especially the quests. Yeesh.

Oh well, Crash Landing is getting there. With a little push I might bring it to release status by month's end. The biggest problem will be getting the map set pieces built. I really envy AgSkies for being a sky block sometimes.

Pavilion5097

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. Eh, not really concerned about that. My pack was never designed for this, it just happens to qualify. If I win, I will be happy. Losing isn't a big deal. The real reward is watching people play my pack and having fun. Even if it is still fairly damn surreal watching people play something I created.

On another note, it will be interesting to see how many good complete packs come out of this. Making a mod pack can be done easily. Tying everything together in a sensible manner with HQM is another beast altogether. And if you add Minetweaker/Modtweaker...ow. The more I tinker with my pack, the more I appreciate the work that went into AgSkies. Especially the quests. Yeesh.

Oh well, Crash Landing is getting there. With a little push I might bring it to release status by month's end. The biggest problem will be getting the map set pieces built. I really envy AgSkies for being a sky block sometimes.

Imo that should be the biggest reward out of this is having people play and enjoy your map. Ive had my idea in my head for a few months and was planning on doing it once all the mods I needed were updated to 1.7. But since this contest started i decided to go ahead and see what i could get done in a month. Sadly in order to get everything done in a month i do have to tweak the storyline for the end and cut the map i have planned in half but after the contest i will be working on the 2nd half of the map. Ive had alot of fun doing this and would do it again in the future.

Blufire13

Jul 29, 2019
Will it count against our stability score if the pack crashes when you close the it? I mean, you told it to close... It just decided to close in a different way :D

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Will it count against our stability score if the pack crashes when you close the it? I mean, you told it to close... It just decided to close in a different way :D
I'm going to guess if it frequently crashes in any way you'll have points taken off

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

Reactions: Not_Steve

Joe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on a modpack. It seems the individual event is based on the honer system. Would beta testers be considered a team if they never work on the pack?

Blufire13

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on a modpack. It seems the individual event is based on the honer system. Would beta testers be considered a team if they never work on the pack?
Someone Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read Slow's post was that there can be any number of people working on the modpack, but there will only be either 1 or 3 top prizes awarded depending on which division you enter into. So you could have 5 people working on the pack and if everyone's cool with it, then 1 person would get the prize. Or 1 person felt like entering into the team division (not sure why you would do that) then they would get 3 prizes. That's at least how I understand it.

Reactions: JACreations