IC2 is slowly dying out ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
one other thing, that no one mentioned in this thread: IC2 adds the teleporter. there are no teleporters in other technical mods in FTB... well besides the portal gun.

okay, it is really energy consuming, and should not be used without a nuclear reactor (or hv-solar) on both ends, but it's the fastest travelling mode, compared with hs-rails in the nether and fast running/flying added by mods like modular powersuits or IC2s quantum suit.
I think one of the UE mods adds a teleporter as well. That has portable teleporters as well.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
What, you want to remove the induction furnace? Why would you do that, it's pretty much the only useful thing IC2 has if you have an ore setup from any other mod.
At the moment, I believe the only things I really like from IC2 are that and the chargepads addon. I like the mining laser on horizontal mode as well, but I haven't used it in a long time.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, can RailCraft steam furnace be faster than Induction furnace? It's 9 items at a time after all...

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
What, you want to remove the induction furnace? Why would you do that, it's pretty much the only useful thing IC2 has if you have an ore setup from any other mod.
At the moment, I believe the only things I really like from IC2 are that and the chargepads addon. I like the mining laser on horizontal mode as well, but I haven't used it in a long time.

Are you being thick? That's the opposite of what I am saying. The induction furnace shows intent by the IC2 team to make a 2nd tier. They should finish the 2nd tier, even if it means reaching out to one, or the other fork of advanced machines and acquiring the code.

Reactions: RedBoss

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. I never really understood why they added a better electric furnace but completely forgot the rest of the machines either, and I doubt the induction one is recent enough for the excuse of things not being ready yet to work.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Are you being thick? That's the opposite of what I am saying. The induction furnace shows intent by the IC2 team to make a 2nd tier. They should finish the 2nd tier, even if it means reaching out to one, or the other fork of advanced machines and acquiring the code.
AFAIR, when one ask devs about adding secondary machines like Induction Furnace, they answer "There is a mod for it".

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
That's the main point of the people who say that IC is dying. There are tons of addons were made that add "industrial" stuff to IC, while Alblaka was developing crops... I think crops were the last major addition to IC (Except for Nuclear Reactor changes but... that's not a new content, actually), and my opinion is that they don't fit the mod at all.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, BС has the same issue as IC, I think. I use BC power, but not BC devices except for quarry and pipes at some early stage.

cmwatford

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't innovate, you fall behind.

Okay, how about a related but possibly critical question:

Why is nobody afraid that buildcraft is going to be left behind and forgotten?
Because buildcraft is still being tweaked every now and then. Plus it and forestry are in this crazy feedback loop of mod development.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019

Actually when SpaceToad left and put everything in SirSengir there was a period without updates at all only a few to get it up to date with minecraft. But what makes buildcraft different from ic2 is that we've gotten some updates not so long ago and they have still anounced upcoming updates that way we don't get the feeling of it being forgotten. And you do have to take in count that most mods are running on MJ's now.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly? Probably only unpopularity.

I'd imagine that more people use Forestry than GregTech, and even then far more people like Forestry more than GregTech.

Personally, I use GregTech far more than I use Forestry, so naturally I like GT more. A lot of other people don't, and that may simply be the key difference.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
Somebody latter, with more sleep then any of us will toss this into a crooked hat...

What's keeping gregtech from being for IC2, what forestry is for buildcraft?

Well in this one you have to take other things into account, why does everyone prefer Modular Powersuits better than let's say "obsidian armor" mods?

Quality and features.

epicninja

Jul 29, 2019
i think the devs at ic2 should work with GregorousT and add some more interesting ways of producing power, but the recipes would be more like vanilla ic2 recipes. like add diesel generators, fusion reactors (or fission reactors) and gas turbines.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Well in this one you have to take other things into account, why does everyone prefer Modular Powersuits better than let's say "obsidian armor" mods?

Quality and features.

Have you even used GregTech?

That mod may be many things, but it is not lacking in quality.

Juice57

Jul 29, 2019

What has TE innovated mostly carbon copies of old mods with new textures.

IC2 is a well rounded mod, it has everything most of the new mods are trying to reinvent, with AE TE doesnt bring anything new to the table as far as factory set ups go IC2 alone or with GT. Dont start with that macerator bonus resources crap GT does it to and everything is unlimited, the world will never run out of gold or iron.

For the people bitching about addons instead of IC2 implementing the machines itself... what work do you do on your part to keep them updated... nothing so why does it happen to be such a big deal that a machine comes from a separate mod. UE is one big ass segmented cluster f**K so dont even try and say IC2 is on a bad path.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
Have you even used GregTech?

That mod may be many things, but it is not lacking in quality.

I never said Gregtech is lacking quality or features, however forestry adds so many features that is not so much of an addon but a standalone mod. People might download it for the bees or the farms and not for the buildcraft additions(you see my point?)

And scratch my example in my previous post, I want to ask you.

Why do people prefer Modular Powersuits over IC2 Quantum armor?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

Quality and features.

More like MPS being completely broken, you mean. Nothing like having infinite free flight, quantum-level runspeed and a 7-in-1 multitool for the cost of a some bars of iron and a few diamonds. It may not be your reason for using the mod, but for the large majority it is. "Gravity Suit? Aint nobody got time fo dat", they say, in pursuit of instant gratification over progression-based unlocks. Why build the expensive thing if another mod does it cheaper?

You can't compare GregTech and Forestry for this reason. Forestry in its default config, aptly titled "EASY", is really ridiculously easy. It basically barfs free energy at you, and in contrast to the beliefs of those people who never tried them out, the multifarms are in fact very high yield for very minor fertilizer costs. Except oh no, the upfront cost of the blocks and the requirement to spend 10 minutes mining for apatite, ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Both Forestry and MPS have harder difficulty modes, in addition to MPS being far from finished - it just got updated with the long-announced heat mechanic in 1.5.x, and people are throwing a fuss over their cheap godmode armor actually coming with a downside now. Hardly anyone ever uses these modes though (I do, but I don't know anyone else who does). GregTech, on the other hand, requires investing time into a progressive tech tree, and that makes things "difficult", quote unquote, and therefore unpopular. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

So no, it's not about quality or features. It almost never is. A few special mods like Thaumcraft can get away with requiring effort because they do it in such a unique and cool way that it's hitherto unseen in the mod community, and others like IC2 for example make themselves essential by providing the framework upon which an entire ecosystem is built. For the rest, it's about giving the player more power, more resources and more energy for less time and effort, less upfront cost and with less complexity. That's what makes mods popular.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on what you think is a feature or not. Gregtech in my opinion adds balance and power which for some people could be feature and for others the opposite. The same with MPS for some people the god powers could be a High Quality feature or for others like you it could be a deficit.