IC2 is slowly dying out ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Do you not use slag? My TE line is setup around the production and use of slag/rich slag, plus I use a LOT of rockwool.

As with everything, feel free to point your fingers at me and say mean things about me, but realize that when you point your finger at me, you're point three at yourself. :D

I really like the Thermal Expansion mod, and I don't want to point fingers. I've never had a use for slag. I've never used rockwool. With slag, I don't even know what it is used for. And as for rockwool, I don't play with much fire.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 isn't dying out, but IMO it could use a good revamp and update.

Right now, IC2 seems to be heading in a direction where it's basically only useful as precursor to GregTech. Which is great for people who like GregTech, but would make it worthless for anyone who doesn't like GregTech.

What the mod needs is something that improves the mid-game options for IC2 (similar to what TE did for BC). Especially when it comes to Item I/O. The GregTech automatic machines would be a decent start in that regard if they weren't tied to the rest of Greg's design philosophy.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Arent they adding electric boats or something in 1.5? I heard someone on Morve's stream talking about them

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I've been thinking. My wishlist for IC3. Anybody else want to reply to this with your own?

1. Remove nothing. Pointedly #1 on the list because there is not a single feature or design element in IC2 that I would criticize or remove.
2. Complete it. Yes, some of the bits that I think of missing are filled in with other mods. I'll call it collateral damage. Stage 1 machines exist. Stage 2, expand the induction furnace mechanic to the other machines.
3. Expand it. Upgrades are a lovely mechanic, how about a few more kinds. Ejector upgrade?

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I've been thinking. My wishlist for IC3. Anybody else want to reply to this with your own?

1. Remove nothing. Pointedly #1 on the list because there is not a single feature or design element in IC2 that I would criticize or remove.
2. Complete it. Yes, some of the bits that I think of missing are filled in with other mods. I'll call it collateral damage. Stage 1 machines exist. Stage 2, expand the induction furnace mechanic to the other machines.
3. Expand it. Upgrades are a lovely mechanic, how about a few more kinds. Ejector upgrade?
This and I kind of want to see electric boats

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
how about two electric jetpacks, an MFSU, two overclockers, and an electric boat... for an even faster electric boat? (jetboat)

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
well I do remember an add-on for IC that made unbreakable boats. If its anything like that we're in for a treat.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Someone mentioned it earlier, but IC2 isn't dying, it's just maturing. There aren't a lot of shiny new features added because it already does what it wants to do, and does it well (complaints about electrical mechanics aside). I consider it a foundation mod. It's not super exciting by itself (simply because most of it are used to it, it was amazing revolutionary when it first came out), but considering the half dozen or so add-on mods that extend it's content, it doesn't need to be. Faster core machines? Advanced machines already does it. Pretty much any other kind of machine? See GregTech (which can be as simple or grindy as you choose via configs). Better armor/jetpack? Gravisuit or MPS.

Frankly, the only major change I'd make to it would be to remove crops altogether. To me it never made much sense in the theme of the mod, and now other mods handle them far better. Granted, that's strictly my opinion, and I know some people are oddly attached to their Terra Wart.

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Berserkenstein

Jul 29, 2019
I still say they need to come to some sort of agreement with one of the two advanced machines groups, roll the code in, fix the bugs, and ship it, or remove the induction furnace. One machineout of four is a job unfinished.
The induction furnace is from IC2. The singularity compressor, centrifuge extractor, and rotary macerator are from the advanced machines add-on.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
one other thing, that no one mentioned in this thread: IC2 adds the teleporter. there are no teleporters in other technical mods in FTB... well besides the portal gun.

okay, it is really energy consuming, and should not be used without a nuclear reactor (or hv-solar) on both ends, but it's the fastest travelling mode, compared with hs-rails in the nether and fast running/flying added by mods like modular powersuits or IC2s quantum suit.