FTB Store. Looking for input on what people want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerelleBot

Jul 29, 2019
I was appalled to find out that "Cap" was at the BOTTOM of the list! Really, the one I would be most likely to buy. Does no one here play TF2?

I can always use a mousepad, but I want something that other people can see, not just me when I'm at home. For that, a hat would be the best way to do it. Possibly a wristband or lanyard. But all of these are the lowest voted, at just 7%. :(

If the flash drive that came with the launcher was completely portable, that would be really cool. Java + lastlogin files + MC game files ≈ plug into any computer and play without installation. Well, I can dream can't I?

Reactions: VikeStep

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
If the flash drive that came with the launcher was completely portable, that would be really cool. Java + lastlogin files + MC game files ≈ plug into any computer and play without installation. Well, I can dream can't I?

Oddly enough... that's not impossible. I'm thinking about how I could do it now :D

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
And mods are not moving to 1.7. 1.7 won't be released that soon and even if it does 1.6 will be used for mods a very long time (like 1.2.5) as MC base code got so many FUNDAMENTAL changes to it that mod authors will have a hard time porting. (At least at the moment it looks like that, future will tell)

To be completely honest, that's what FTB always says. "Update X is going to be hard for modders", yet mods release in record time and FTB lags behind. It's not really that mods don't update, it's that FTB is afraid of change and will lag behind because of 1 or 2 mods that are not even necessary. I know this is completely up to you guys to decide whenever you want to release your modpacks, but don't blame the mod authors for that. (people were playing 1.5 in May, you released end of july... when people had already mostly moved to 1.6).

I know that FTB tries to preserve people's worlds as much as possible, but honestly saying that's nearly impossible before the plugin API anyways.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
To be completely honest, that's what FTB always says. "Update X is going to be hard for modders", yet mods release in record time and FTB lags behind. It's not really that mods don't update, it's that FTB is afraid of change and will lag behind because of 1 or 2 mods that are not even necessary. I know this is completely up to you guys to decide whenever you want to release your modpacks, but don't blame the mod authors for that. (people were playing 1.5 in May, you released end of july... when people had already mostly moved to 1.6).

I know that FTB tries to preserve people's worlds as much as possible, but honestly saying that's nearly impossible before the plugin API anyways.
Oh really? Let's see:
1.6.2 was out at July 8, 2013 and 1.6.4 at September 19, 2013.

Core mods releases:
Thaumcraft -> released like 3 weeks ago for 1.6.X
Thermal Expansion -> No public release for 1.6.X
Minefactory Reloaded -> skyboy port came out like 1 week ago, other ports where available in early september for 1.6.X
Mystcraft -> No 1.6.4 release yet, 1.6.2 released End of July (29th)
Railcraft -> Released early August for 1.6.X
Forestry -> Mid August for 1.6.X
Buildcraft -> Early August for 1.6.X

Those mods a core for us which means that we often will lag behind at least one month after a new MC version is released. And i am not taking any beta release into consideration as those are often TOO unstable for pack usage (unless we are told otherwise by the mod author(s)).
I do not blame the mod authors for anything. I want them to take their time and get things done properly instead of rushed. And due to major background changes in the Launcher(Both vanilla and ours) the move to 1.6 takes longer than expected.
Believe me that it is not what we intented to happen but it is like that now and we all have to deal with it!

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019

I agree with Lathanael, and would like to add one thing to his statement:

When the major MC update comes out, put the modpack together yourself, with all of the mods that are usually included in an FTB pack. Then, see for yourself why they wait for more stable versions.
Watch Direwolf20? Ok, pay close attention to the Forgecraft series. They tend to use more stable versions of the mods as it is, but still encounter serious issues.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Dire's video series (Forgecraft 3 started two days ago) also tend to playtest and tweak the latest versions of the mods, since a majority of the Mod Authors also play on the server. I've seen bugs found, reproduced and reported to the author in one video (sometimes the author was online during the video) and fixed in the next. Thaumcraft 4 was being shown weeks before it was publically released.

Unfortunately, I don't think FtB has quite that level of interaction with all 90 or so mod pack developers they deal with.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with Lathanael, and would like to add one thing to his statement:

When the major MC update comes out, put the modpack together yourself, with all of the mods that are usually included in an FTB pack. Then, see for yourself why they wait for more stable versions.
Watch Direwolf20? Ok, pay close attention to the Forgecraft series. They tend to use more stable versions of the mods as it is, but still encounter serious issues.

That's exactly what i've been doing since the 1.5.2 FTB packs were delayed by a loong while. The mods are generally working quite good, you just have to test a bit and see what's stable and what's not. Not alot of -major- problems have actually come from this. I've been on 1.6.2 since mid august, and already playing 1.6.4.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
That's exactly what i've been doing since the 1.5.2 FTB packs were delayed by a loong while. The mods are generally working quite good, you just have to test a bit and see what's stable and what's not. Not alot of -major- problems have actually come from this. I've been on 1.6.2 since mid august, and already playing 1.6.4.

Now, create multiple different packs, using mostly the same mods (I say mostly because some added mods create significant ID/config changes). Make all of those interchangable.

Now, package it nicely for the general public. Make sure it's not "too op" or in any way exploitable.

Do all of this while maintaining 3 modpacks in 1.5.2 and offering support for 1.4.7. Oh, and you also have to field private pack and third party pack requests, while ensuring those packs are good to go.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I thought if I put my mind to it, I could come up with something. I tried. It hurt. I gave up.

Well, you can put a version of Java on the USB no problem (potentially illegal though, I'm not sure). Then you'd have to put the FTB launcher there and use a batch script with something like "<path to Java install>/java.exe -jar FTBLauncher.jar"
I'm sure the modpack team could come up with something a little more... professional, but that would work. You might have to install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the USB too, but it's all doable.

stlprice

Jul 29, 2019
What about a FTB cape? Or a selection of them? Something people can buy to wear and show for their favorite mod packs or mods? ...In-game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Reactions: DerelleBot

DerelleBot

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can put a version of Java on the USB no problem (potentially illegal though, I'm not sure). Then you'd have to put the FTB launcher there and use a batch script with something like "<path to Java install>/java.exe -jar FTBLauncher.jar"
I'm sure the modpack team could come up with something a little more... professional, but that would work. You might have to install both 32 and 64 bit Java on the USB too, but it's all doable.

But the FTB launcher installs MC into system folders, doesn't it? (I wouldn't know, I've never used the Windows version) What about if I didn't even want FTB at all, but instead my own MC 1.6.4 with Forgecraft-esque mods? I know the vanilla launcher now allows different game directories, but I haven't tried it out yet. It also allows you to specify where to look for Java. This seems like my best bet. Maybe I'll give it a try a bit later.

DerelleBot

Jul 29, 2019
Would love to see zippered hoodies or large posters.

Actually, I wear a zippered hoodie almost every day, year-round. I would love an FTB one.

Posters are cool, but I would prefer something that lets me show off my Minecraft mod swag. Posters usually just hang on my wall, and get seen only by me.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
Now, create multiple different packs, using mostly the same mods (I say mostly because some added mods create significant ID/config changes). Make all of those interchangable.

Now, package it nicely for the general public. Make sure it's not "too op" or in any way exploitable.

Do all of this while maintaining 3 modpacks in 1.5.2 and offering support for 1.4.7. Oh, and you also have to field private pack and third party pack requests, while ensuring those packs are good to go.

*facepalm* do you really think making modpacks is hard? Lemme say this back to you: Try creating multiple different packs yourself. Maybe you'll realise that with a bit of organizing it's not too difficult. I guess what you're trying to say is that "running FTB is hard", sure.. I completely agree with that, and it's not because of the mods in a pack or configs. It's because FTB has a huge userbase that you have to manage.

also to "make sure it's not op", why is FTB so op and exploitable then?

Also regarding the support, afaik it's mainly the community that provides the support.

I'm really done with this conversation though, so please dont even try to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.