FTB News - March 20th, 2015

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
There is... the layout is, was not user freindly to me. Someone had to tell me what to look for and what to do. there is a manual browse. Right click on modpack and select review. To edit said modpack, click the "..." button to make editing available.
That is what I meant by 'unlocking' the pack.
I just missed the 'add more...' at the end of the list of mods. If I unlock a pack, I might, might..., know what am I doing, so... the add more option should not be so hidden at the end of a list with 100 mods...
And... even so, its only to add mods on curse directory. Should add a browse option where, for example, I would browse to my download folder and chose the fastcraft.jar file and it would add it to the pack. And maybe put some kind of information on the mods list showing that the mod was 'imported'.

Also... would be nice if the mod list was sortable. Its a grid... has an header... let me sort it please!
And the mods that are not on curse, when the list is in unlock mode, has the enable/disable option not aligned correctly.
Posting it here assuming that this little suggestions are actually being delivered to the curse development team. If not, just slap me with the right place to do it :)

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I believe the discrepancy you have is with the 2 launcher's purposes... The FTB launcher is player based to allow the player to create anything he can get his hands on in whatever fashion he/she wishes. The Curse launcher does the same, but is developer based and allows the player to create anything that is permitted by Curse. If it is signed on by curse, its all good. If it isn't on Curse, you can't use it from the curse launcher to make your pack. I get it, and I am here to play the pack that has been made for me by talented people and I don't want to hate the messenger curse. This fastcraft is difficult because a strong majority of the community HAS to have it to do anything.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
It's a more corporate environment than the ftb launcher. Let me be clear. I think the FTB community needs to be more corporate. I do not hate the Curse idea at all. Curse does respect the developer and mod pack creator much more than the organic ftb launcher, of course if they aren't Curse, I see them in the future outside looking in but that is the nature of the beast. My criticism is meant to be constructive and I hope I have worded it in that fashion.

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
Does the curse client offer offline mode? It'll be awesome if it does. I can't play any FTB packs when I'm on a road trip and can't get internet access.

We load profiles into the official launcher. If offline mode works there, and none of the mods require internet access, then it'll work with us.

gotcha... Is there anyway I can tell it where I want it installed instead of the default C:\Users\_______\AppData\Roaming\Curse Client\Bin\Curse.exe location?

Currently there is not, I've passed along the feedback on this. :)

All Curse Client seems to do is build the folder structure (in a dumb place by default, luckily you can change it) and create a profile for the vanilla MC launcher to launch the game.

Has more bad points than good right now, but I guess we'll either get used to it or just use it to download packs and use MMC to run them (which is pretty straight forward to do).

I'd be very curious to hear you feedback on bad points. We have a lot left to do but I do feel like things are a little mroe balanced than that.

Big thing.... Can we have a way of sorting the modlist when enabling/disabling a instance's mods? Is there a difference between disabling and removing?

Feature requested. Disabling is a soft disable (changes file name to .jar.disabled) where remove deletes the jar all together.

It's what I had to end up doing. No it isn't curses fault fast isn't a part of curse. That launcher doesn't have the ability to add any mods that aren't signed up. I understand that it goes against what I think curse was supposed to do to help devs. It is apart of the dw20 though. Wish that could be a part of the mf3 mod pack or really any self made pack being that any pack gets unplayable if fastcraft isn't added. If I have to add the mod manually, why have the curse middle man? Obviously this is an exceptional case because of how heavily relied upon fastcraft is to everything atm.

It's up to the author of fastcraft to decide to host with us. If Player chooses not too that's his prerogative. That being said all you have to do is drop the jar into the mods folder and it will work.

On other and more important news, out of curiosity I installed Magic Farm 3 just to take a sneak peak to the pack and how the launcher behaves and... its the second time I installed the pack and I still dont have a start option. It keeps asking to install the pack.

Having to go 'back' to see the installed pack does not seem to intuitive and will make users download 2-3 times the pack until they find out the mistake

We have some ideas to fix this based on yours and others feedback. :)

Gotta agree here. If I choose to unlock the pack, an option to manually browse and add mods would be nice!

You can get to it from the Get More button at the bottom or the 'Get More Content' button up on the toolbar.

After downloading a full pack, pressing start and having another 40Mb download, to download the launcher seems counter-productive. And after that, the minecraft launcher will also download assets... Confusing for less technical people. When people press install, they expect everything to be installed at once, not later when they try to start the pack.
On the other hand, using official minecraft launcher and also downloading latest JRE is an awesome touch! Kudos for who though about that!

We use the native launcher from Mojang for a number of reasons. It gets everyone on Java 8 and handles the installation of that is a big win for the community over all, and by doing so we never see your Mojang username or password. This is something that Mojang has long desired and we feel that it's important for everyone's security.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
We use the native launcher from Mojang for a number of reasons. It gets everyone on Java 8 and handles the installation of that is a big win for the community over all, and by doing so we never see your Mojang username or password. This is something that Mojang has long desired and we feel that it's important for everyone's security.
That is why I love it! I would just love even more if when creating a profile and downlaoding the pack, the launcher checked imidiatly if it needs to download anything else and just do it if needed. So, I install the launcher, press install for an arbitrary pack and everything is download at once and not at a later stage.

Some people still have slow internet connections or no internet at all and they might just install the launcher and set a pack to install and go afk for an hour or more. Or are on a place with internet, like a pub or at school and download the pack just to find later, when they try to finally play the game they still have to wait for another download or find out that they cant simple play coz now they are at home/somewhere else where they have no internet.

And by downloading everything I mean, everything! Even the assets that the launcher will download from minecraft servers, so you have one and only one stage of downloading/install.

Reactions: Liquid Klone

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
We load profiles into the official launcher. If offline mode works there, and none of the mods require internet access, then it'll work with us.

Currently there is not, I've passed along the feedback on this. :)

I'd be very curious to hear you feedback on bad points. We have a lot left to do but I do feel like things are a little mroe balanced than that.

Feature requested. Disabling is a soft disable (changes file name to .jar.disabled) where remove deletes the jar all together.

It's up to the author of fastcraft to decide to host with us. If Player chooses not too that's his prerogative. That being said all you have to do is drop the jar into the mods folder and it will work.

We have some ideas to fix this based on yours and others feedback. :)

You can get to it from the Get More button at the bottom or the 'Get More Content' button up on the toolbar.

Bigups... High 5

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019

Bad points:

- It's called Curse Voice - #1 confusion

- When you load it up for the first time you have no idea what your looking at (having never seen it before) or wondering where the mod packs are - #2 confusion

- When you eventually get the Minecraft plugin loaded it sits there and asks you to load it again (I had to quit the launcher to get it to work)

- When you quit the launcher it doesn't quit it sits minimised, I didn't ask for it to be minimised I asked for it to quit (config option to make it quit should be on by default)

- When you install a modpack it sits there afterwards with the install still there - #3 confusion

- I had to quit to figure out how to get the mod pack to play and then I had 4 of the same one because of point above

- It installs modpacks by default to .... I don't care where ... it should ask us, people use SSD boot disks now that don't want to be filled up with MC modpacks

- After loading the client it updated and now sits there at "Game Installs" for 2 minutes, why is that I only have 1 pack installed?

- Add/removing mods - #4 confusion (it's completely not obvious)

- The client is splattered all over with voice stuff/comms/friends I don't want any of it all I want is a MC modpack launcher.

- Enable/Hide Toast notifications - #5 confusion - what the hell is this Toast?!?! tooltips wouldn't go amiss

- Memory allocation only goes up to 6GB those of us who use 512x HD resourcepacks are stuffed

Edit- I just learnt that only mods on curse can be used in modpacks, so if I went and got permission to use a mod NOT listed on Curse I can't host my mod pack on the Curse launcher.

You can tell FTB was a community driven project and Curse is a corporate one, FTB was written with people in mind, this is 100% purely corporate and as such is confusing, not at all user friendly and most of the private functions are turned off. I'd love to know what all these "features" are and what exactly this launcher is collecting data wise.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
well I can't play any of the packs because I can't add fastcraft to them as fastcraft is not part of the curse network. Oh well....

Fastcraft is in the Curse version of DW20 so I assume it's also in any pack from FtB that includes it from here...

When you look at the mods they are listed alphabetically by name, then by Mod Author... In DW20 there's a large section at the bottom with Mod Author == "Unknown" so there are actually 2 sections of mods listed alphabetically to search, although Fastcraft is listed with Player as the Mod Author.

kleshas

Jul 29, 2019
Bad points:

- It's called Curse Voice - #1 confusion

- When you load it up for the first time you have no idea what your looking at (having never seen it before) or wondering where the mod packs are - #2 confusion

- When you eventually get the Minecraft plugin loaded it sits there and asks you to load it again (I had to quit the launcher to get it to work)

- When you quit the launcher it doesn't quit it sits minimised, I didn't ask for it to be minimised I asked for it to quit (config option to make it quit should be on by default)

- When you install a modpack it sits there afterwards with the install still there - #3 confusion

- I had to quit to figure out how to get the mod pack to play and then I had 4 of the same one because of point above

- It installs modpacks by default to .... I don't care where ... it should ask us, people use SSD boot disks now that don't want to be filled up with MC modpacks

- After loading the client it updated and now sits there at "Game Installs" for 2 minutes, why is that I only have 1 pack installed?

- Add/removing mods - #4 confusion (it's completely not obvious)

- The client is splattered all over with voice stuff/comms/friends I don't want any of it all I want is a MC modpack launcher.

- Enable/Hide Toast notifications - #5 confusion - what the hell is this Toast?!?! tooltips wouldn't go amiss

- Memory allocation only goes up to 6GB those of us who use 512x HD resourcepacks are stuffed

Edit- I just learnt that only mods on curse can be used in modpacks, so if I went and got permission to use a mod NOT listed on Curse I can't host my mod pack on the Curse launcher.

You can tell FTB was a community driven project and Curse is a corporate one, FTB was written with people in mind, this is 100% purely corporate and as such is confusing, not at all user friendly and most of the private functions are turned off. I'd love to know what all these "features" are and what exactly this launcher is collecting data wise.
I agree with most everything here, especially the concerns at the end. Definitely not a fan of the UI, colour choices etc. Too busy. Primarily being marketed as a voice client, which I will never use, is definitely a turn-off for me. I want a nice, clean, lightweight modpack client without the corporate-branded, extraneous apps integrated into this. I understand that you guys need some monetary support to do the work you do here, but this move to their harder-to-use client where the main functionality of the existing client seems to be secondary is a worrying direction. I doubt I'll ever use this until I have no choice.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Quick test of the new launcher, It hates me because I don't use a Mic at all times, no obvious way to stop it looking for headset/mic, meh pass on this for now anyway.

Edit after reading most of the four pages, I have just deleted this loader, never reinstall it, I'll quit MC & FTB first.

Last edited:

KevinF

Jul 29, 2019
Umm just a question I have the curse client but I don't see any FTB pack options anywhere

I see on the page Browse FTB Modpack button but it does not bring up any modpacks

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Umm just a question I have the curse client but I don't see any FTB pack options anywhere

I see on the page Browse FTB Modpack button but it does not bring up any modpacks

The answer in on this page !!

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Quick test of the new launcher, It hates me because I don't use a Mic at all times, no obvious way to stop it looking for headset/mic, meh pass on this for now anyway.

Edit after reading most of the four pages, I have just deleted this loader, never reinstall it, I'll quit MC & FTB first.
Do you understand the concept of Beta?
Not final, not release candidate, just plain beta!