FTB News - March 20th, 2015

FInaldeath

Jul 29, 2019
Would have been nice to tell it where to install instead of it just dumping itself in appdata. Wish it was just a mod manager like it should have been and not have a bunch of other junk i don't care for tacked on. Don't need YET ANOTHER voice chat program or YET ANOTHER friends list or YET ANOTHER overlay. Why does every single program nowadays needs its own friends list and overlay? If i want those features i will download a program made for those and not a mod launcher for them. Going to remove it because of all the extra crap i don't want nor need, will check back later if all the unnecessary junk is removed. Was really looking forward to this but after seeing it is thrown together with the extra useless junk i will pass.

The FTB launcher while dated was great because it's sole purpose was for modpacks and had zero extra bloat that is already done far better by countless other programs.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Well, installed on my second PC and again he suggested Documents folder and not the AppData... Also, if you guys stop pressing the Express install button and use the advanced setup which is just below the install button, it will ask you for the folder to install.
So... complaining that the system doesnt ask where to install on the 'express way' is like being guilt for 'having and not having a dog'

Reactions: kofti

FInaldeath

Jul 29, 2019
Well, installed on my second PC and again he suggested Documents folder and not the AppData... Also, if you guys stop pressing the Express install button and use the advanced setup which is just below the install button, it will ask you for the folder to install.
So... complaining that the system doesnt ask where to install on the 'express way' is like being guilt for 'having and not having a dog'

I had no express install or anything, i run the exe file and get a screen that says "cancel" and "install" nothing more, nothing less. When i press install it just installs it in appdata. There is no "express" option at all.

I am not an idiot, i know what i am doing and i know the difference between express install and custom/advanced install. This program has no such choice when installing.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
I had no express install or anything, i run the exe file and get a screen that says "cancel" and "install" nothing more, nothing less. When i press install it just installs it in appdata. There is no "express" option at all.
Ohh... you mean the launcher, not the packs!

Ok... fair, I accept the rant but still, I dont thing its to much important where he puts 80Mb of config and Dll's files. I am much more worried where my hundreds of Mb's of packs/resources/temporary downloaded files will end up!

FInaldeath

Jul 29, 2019
Ohh... you mean the launcher, not the packs!

Ok... fair, I accept the rant but still, I dont thing its to much important where he puts 80Mb of config and Dll's files. I am much more worried where my hundreds of Mb's of packs/resources/temporary downloaded files will end up!

You are probably also the kind of person who like having a slow computer full of crap programs thrown wherever the hell they please. I on the other hand like to take care of my computer and keep it tidy and want to install things where i want them and that is not in a hidden appdata folder.

Edit: Also like to point out that when the install finishes it also creates an empty "curse" folder outside of the folder it creates for the program. This is no bueno. But then again, littering my computer with trash files all over the damn place seems to be the go to deal for everything involving minecraft and modded minecraft.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
It's what I had to end up doing. No it isn't curses fault fast isn't a part of curse. That launcher doesn't have the ability to add any mods that aren't signed up. I understand that it goes against what I think curse was supposed to do to help devs. It is apart of the dw20 though. Wish that could be a part of the mf3 mod pack or really any self made pack being that any pack gets unplayable if fastcraft isn't added. If I have to add the mod manually, why have the curse middle man? Obviously this is an exceptional case because of how heavily relied upon fastcraft is to everything atm.

I won't add fastcraft to my packs. Its does things I am unsure of, and I am not willing to include it by default. It wouldn't matter which launcher it was on.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
You are probably also the kind of person who like having a slow computer full of crap programs thrown wherever the hell they please. I on the other hand like to take care of my computer and keep it tidy and want to install things where i want them and that is not in a hidden appdata folder.

Actually, I am the kind of guy that actually develops applications and like to have my PC working perfectly and by so, I know that Windows has routines to optimize performance and one of them is optimizing the files inside program files folder and appdata folder since they are the recommended locations. When you move stuff out of there you are just hurting yourself, since the other places will not be so optimized and you will end up with an under optimized PC...

And by the way, its a damn BETA version. The main purpose of beta is to find some bugs and fix annoying stuff like its being reported.

Ranting and screaming about how broken it is and how bad it is is not gonna help getting attention to the problems that need fix and its just ridiculous and immature...

Just saying...

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Would have been nice to tell it where to install instead of it just dumping itself in appdata. Wish it was just a mod manager like it should have been and not have a bunch of other junk i don't care for tacked on. Don't need YET ANOTHER voice chat program or YET ANOTHER friends list or YET ANOTHER overlay. Why does every single program nowadays needs its own friends list and overlay? If i want those features i will download a program made for those and not a mod launcher for them. Going to remove it because of all the extra crap i don't want nor need, will check back later if all the unnecessary junk is removed. Was really looking forward to this but after seeing it is thrown together with the extra useless junk i will pass.

The FTB launcher while dated was great because it's sole purpose was for modpacks and had zero extra bloat that is already done far better by countless other programs.

Umm there's a spot to select install location. Why not use it?

Side note: Very glad I am not responsible for bopping people anymore.

Reactions: Flipz

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I won't add fastcraft to my packs. Its does things I am unsure of, and I am not willing to include it by default. It wouldn't matter which launcher it was on.
Roger... JAVA arguements have never worked for me. Fastcraft does... Do what you gotta do. It's such a rock and hard place situation... no fastcraft because its not with curse (and you don't trust it which I understand) can't run pack without fastcraft. shrug

Last edited:

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
On other and more important news, out of curiosity I installed Magic Farm 3 just to take a sneak peak to the pack and how the launcher behaves and... its the second time I installed the pack and I still dont have a start option. It keeps asking to install the pack.

Having to go 'back' to see the installed pack does not seem to intuitive and will make users download 2-3 times the pack until they find out the mistake

FInaldeath

Jul 29, 2019

Please, show me where this install location option is. Read my reply to nuno. I am talking about the launcher itself not modpacks.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013

There was nothing mentioning anything about advanced options, or select install location to cursevoice executable. as of atleast 10am est.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Roger... JAVA arguements have never worked for me. Fastcraft does... Do what you gotta do. It's such a rock and hard place situation... no fastcraft because its not with curse (and you don't trust it which I understand) can't run pack with fastcraft. shrug
Gotta agree here. If I choose to unlock the pack, an option to manually browse and add mods would be nice!

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
On other and more important news, out of curiosity I installed Magic Farm 3 just to take a sneak peak to the pack and how the launcher behaves and... its the second time I installed the pack and I still dont have a start option. It keeps asking to install the pack.

Having to go 'back' to see the installed pack does not seem to intuitive and will make users download 2-3 times the pack until they find out the mistake
click back. you will see your list of profiles. it will say play over MF3.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

Also in the list of "bop a dev till they make that more obvious"

Reactions: Flipz

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Gotta agree here. If I choose to unlock the pack, an option to manually browse and add mods would be nice!
There is... the layout is, was not user freindly to me. Someone had to tell me what to look for and what to do. there is a manual browse. Right click on modpack and select review. To edit said modpack, click the "..." button to make editing available.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
After downloading a full pack, pressing start and having another 40Mb download, to download the launcher seems counter-productive. And after that, the minecraft launcher will also download assets... Confusing for less technical people. When people press install, they expect everything to be installed at once, not later when they try to start the pack.
On the other hand, using official minecraft launcher and also downloading latest JRE is an awesome touch! Kudos for who though about that!