FTB News - March 20th, 2015

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
Tested it earlier. Good concept, but not for me, I will stick with MultiMC, which I am used to. As stated above, Im no way interested in the voice part, that should have been optional.
As uninteresed in the voice part as you are, you are not in any way obliged to use it, it is optional to use. But if you'll give it a chance I bet you're gonna like it. :p I've been using it to voice chat in Smite, long before it had anything to do with Minecraft and it was and is a really good voice client. :D

Reactions: Jadedcat

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
It needs an optional way at 1 to minimise the Voice part over to 2. Then another way to minimise the clutter up top at 3 into a bar to drop down at 4. Leaving the main client as a mod pack launcher without all the clutter and waste of space.

clutter.png

Last edited:

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
It needs an optional way at 1 to minimise the Voice part over to 2. Then another way to minimise the clutter up top at 3 into a bar to drop down at 4. Leaving the main client as a mod pack launcher without all the clutter and waste of space.
clutter.png
Your signature is bugging me so hard:D. Isn't it "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."?

Redrick73

Jul 29, 2019
I have to ask, since I just now found out this was a thing, why dose it even have a friends list or anything? Seems pretty pointless to me to have all that extra stuff in what is essentially a mod manager. I got it downloading now to test it out, I'm not really pro-curse but I do want to see what they're up to here.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

clutter.png

And if the client was only for minecraft that might make sense. But Curse doesn't just support minecraft mods. They support about 20 different games worth of mods. Have 1 application with optional game plugins makes way more sense. I like that I will eventually be able to put almost all my mods for games through 1 thing, and I like the way the voice part works for streaming. If you don't like the voice part, ignore it, and turn off the sync and display settings.

Why would you want to have to download a seperate client for multiple games (if you play them)? And picking just one game as the main platform for the others to plug into did not work well with the last client. It only really worked well for the primary game. This way voice works as the platform/app/thingy (tech term) and you choose to enable optional plugins based on what game you want to install for.

Reactions: ZethHQ

Redrick73

Jul 29, 2019
Quick update, as a downloader this thing is just fine. Decided to test it on college wifi in a hallway and was able to download Magic Farm 3 pretty quickly. Not a fan of the appearance or windows only bit, but one is taste and the other is an easy copy paste to move modpacks somewhere where multiMC can find them in Linux. Overall rating from me is a 'not bad' for this beta.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
And if the client was only for minecraft that might make sense. But Curse doesn't just support minecraft mods. They support about 20 different games worth of mods. Have 1 application with optional game plugins makes way more sense. I like that I will eventually be able to put almost all my mods for games through 1 thing, and I like the way the voice part works for streaming. If you don't like the voice part, ignore it, and turn off the sync and display settings.

Why would you want to have to download a seperate client for multiple games (if you play them)? And picking just one game as the main platform for the others to plug into did not work well with the last client. It only really worked well for the primary game. This way voice works as the platform/app/thingy (tech term) and you choose to enable optional plugins based on what game you want to install for.

And that's why when this was announced the majority didn't like it. Taking the FTB launcher which was pure blooded MC and converting it into a whole host of stuff no one wants, needs or even asked for, we knew this would happen and guess what ... it did.

Barclay Jeffreys

Jul 29, 2019
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:182) ~[launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
... 23 more
I have found where the issue is, however i do not know what is wrong, I, like you, am no good at this.

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
And that's why when this was announced the majority didn't like it. Taking the FTB launcher which was pure blooded MC and converting it into a whole host of stuff no one wants, needs or even asked for, we knew this would happen and guess what ... it did.
I don't get why does the extra features annoy some of you guys. What difference does it make for you if it is only for Minecraft or not? Give or take the extras you still play the same game, you don't play in the launcher, you just use it to start the game :).

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

Forum threads do NOT tell you what a majority of the community cares about. They tell you what the majority of the people in that specific thread care about. And the people that will show up on forum threads will fall into , constructive criticism because they want whatever it is to be useful to them, people who don't want anything to ever change, people convinced its a "devious" plot, and people that have an opinion on everything. You seldom find the content happy players in these type threads. They are too busy playing the game.

Most modpack creators I have talked to like the idea of being able to distribute their content in a way where players determine popularity. Most players like the idea of FTB focusing on packs and maps and not on a launcher to share those packs and maps.

At this point most people who are unhappy fall into one of the following
  • Linux - 1% of users
  • Mac - 5% of users
  • Needs some tweaks and bug fixing
  • Constructive Criticism
  • Don't like change
  • Will never like a non open source option
  • Vested interest in status quo
  • Dislike Curse , some for a reason, some just because its something they don't know
Most of the concerns fall into the top 4 and we are working on addressing all their concerns. The bottom 4 there is nothing anyone at FTB or Curse can do anything about. The reason I put numbers is the majority complaint on most of these threads is Linux. By your definition that means the majority of players are concerned about Linux support, but the majority don't play Linux.

TLDR: Threads are NOT majority opinion. They are just the majority of the not happy users. The people who have a concern that needs addressed. That doesn't mean its a concern shared by all users or even a majority of users.

Last edited:

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get why does the extra features annoy some of you guys. What difference does it make for you if it is only for Minecraft or not? Give or take the extras you still play the same game, you don't play in the launcher, you just use it to start the game :).
People get emotional about trivial things. Human nature, I suppose. The launcher is a modpack delivery system. Can I find and download the pack I want quickly and easily? If yes, the launcher works fine. There are added features to this launcher which you can use, if you like them, or ignore/disable if you don't. Personally, I rarely use voice chat, and when I do, it won't be Curse voice, but turns out, if I don't add anyone to my friends list, the voice feature doesn't impact me, so, whatever.
Also, if, as it sounds, the packs are going to be available as direct download via the website, there's little reason to use the launcher at all (as well as making them available for Linux/Mac), unless you want to use one of the added features. For instance, I'll likely be using it to create my own packs, as it's a huge time saver versus downloading all the mods by hand.
Regardless, for many people, change is bad, so don't expect the bitching to stop any time soon.

Shaithlis

Jul 29, 2019
I just downloaded this again, after my meds kicked in lol. I gotta admit, this is handy for keeping the mods updated, at least the ones that are hosted on curse, I have a few that isn't, but not hard to keep updated. My main question, I play a few packs that are under the 3rd party tab, mainly, Material Energy ^4, at some point, will the 3rd Party packs become available on the Curse Launcher?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't know if anyone has posted or not but are the latest builds released on Curse Voice? I ask because I just spent about an hour downloading FTB Infinity only to discover it is 1.2.1 and I don't know where to click to find other versions of the mod pack.

I'm guessing that Beta packs haven't been set up yet, only those that are Recommended. They want to troubleshoot/get feature ideas for the client, not deal with beta pack issues after all.

Barclay Jeffreys

Jul 29, 2019
Hey jaded I am currently playing MF3 and omg thank you so much you evil devil you have made an awesomely hard, fun pack, keep up the good work the modding community loves you!!!

d3w10n

Oct 9, 2014
Most recent update? It should be running fine. Give me any logs/crashes that are produced with the odd behaviour.
well fckit I didnt play it since 1.0.5 came out, I made autofarm for most of things and some piping configurations were quite buggy, energy pipes not conducting in some cases etc. Crashing was very rare but piping is not best, and updating some mods solved most of my problems... except the multiplayer thingy