FTB News - March 20th, 2015

dhawk312

Jul 29, 2019
So far I quite like the client because everything can be managed pretty easily. Can't wait for the release where we can share custom packs with friends. Using curse is a lot easily than sending files to my gf and walking her through how to find the correct file path and where to put them. Now it's just hey click resource packs and pick one.

But I have two major issues: (1) I cannot figure out how to update to a non-recommended pack version without deleting the existing profile and creating a new one. Maybe I'm simply overlooking the option? When I select update pack then it actually rolls the pack back to the recommended version (e.g., cannot update from Infinity 1.3.2 to 1.3.4 within the profile, but when I hit update it goes from 1.3.2 to 1.2.1). (2) There is no option to download the server zip. This isn't that big of a deal but would be convenient.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
So far I quite like the client because everything can be managed pretty easily. Can't wait for the release where we can share custom packs with friends. Using curse is a lot easily than sending files to my gf and walking her through how to find the correct file path and where to put them. Now it's just hey click resource packs and pick one.

But I have two major issues: (1) I cannot figure out how to update to a non-recommended pack version without deleting the existing profile and creating a new one. Maybe I'm simply overlooking the option? When I select update pack then it actually rolls the pack back to the recommended version (e.g., cannot update from Infinity 1.3.2 to 1.3.4 within the profile, but when I hit update it goes from 1.3.2 to 1.2.1). (2) There is no option to download the server zip. This isn't that big of a deal but would be convenient.

I think in most cases that only recommended packs are installed on Curse at this time since they want to work on the client and not pack issues.

In the case of JadedCat's new packs I think they are there because she's a Curse employee and they provide a special test case. She's said that one of her packs gets up to 15 updates a day, after all.

As far as adding mods to packs you can do it but you have to unlock the pack first. Check out Direwolf20 or Jadedcat's Youtube review of the client.

The packs come locked by default because in this day and age everybody else has to look out for those running with scissors rather than letting evolution take it's course. :D

HangingLotus

Jul 29, 2019
Having used the curse client for awhile i think that packs load faster than using the ftb launcher. also the curse launcher isnt throwing false errors at me.

Reactions: Jadedcat

vlademir1

Jul 29, 2019
We're running in parallel for a long time still, and no crowd will be left without a way to access the packs when we get to migration.
Thank you for this response very early in the thread, it was the main issue I was on here to inquire about.

Yes. And don't bother with Wine, it won't work. :(
As a Linux guy with some major experience with Wine, that's likely an issue with what is and isn't implemented in Wine's WinAPI and/or related DLLs. Wine has always had some serious transparency and testing issues, especially considering they are a FOSS project

That would only work if there were no custom configs. The json doesn't deal with those. But its an interesting idea. @Kaelten ?
My personal typical usecase for something limited like that is "here is a list of links for all the mods as an HTML file, and here's a zip of the configs", such a feature would work well in getting people to actually bother if only because manually downloading 100+ mods is... well, you of all the people on here probably know ;D

Leonexis

Jul 29, 2019
At this point most people who are unhappy fall into one of the following
  • Linux - 1% of users
  • Mac - 5% of users
  • Needs some tweaks and bug fixing
  • Constructive Criticism

YAY! I'm a 99%er and 1%er! I am now complete =P

I know Linux support will be lower priority for a while, and I'm OK with that so long as it remains on the ToDo. It is becoming a popular gaming platform, especially with the Steam client (and OS/platform). Not to mention every Android device is technically a Linux system. In any case, it isn't like I'm paying for the client, nor does there seem to be any way for me to help develop it. All I can do is hope.

I have taken a test drive on my Windows install that I use for all my non-Linux games. I really like it so far. I think of concern to more people is maintaining server support, especially for Linux. It's usually the cheapest hosting option. Even if the client remains Windows for now, I would be super happy with an "Export Server" option similar to the server download button in the FTB client. It would be even better if it retains the mods I chose to enable/disable, customize, etc and provide an export URL/code that I could give to other users of the Curse client to get the exact client needed to connect to that server. Perhaps this could be part of the modpack publishing system in the works?

Although there are still plenty of issues, I think the new client is a good step forward even if it doesn't support my favorite OS yet. ;)

And I have to comment on this...
- setup.exe: why does every little app and tiny program these days want me to 'install' it? I don't want or need you putting things into my registry or whatever corner this particular installer is throwing things into, and I don't want you on my system drive . Custom install locations only half fixes this problem because the fact is, I don't know what and where the installer is putting things, but I can know where I unzip a 'portable' program and run it from.

@Antaioz, the current FTB launcher may be portable, but it too installs config files, caches downloads, etc. It just doesn't ask you to do it at first. You aren't going to get any MC client that is 100% portable in a single file (meaning containing all of MC, modpacks, resources, configs, etc) except maybe on a Mac with the client storing everything in its .app folder (which is considered a "bad idea" IIRC, and technically not a single file).

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
@Antaioz, the current FTB launcher may be portable, but it too installs config files, caches downloads, etc. It just doesn't ask you to do it at first. You aren't going to get any MC client that is 100% portable in a single file (meaning containing all of MC, modpacks, resources, configs, etc) except maybe on a Mac with the client storing everything in its .app folder (which is considered a "bad idea" IIRC, and technically not a single file).

When I mentioned that comment, it was more about the stigma from an installer than the actual stuff it's putting on the drive. I don't usually bother looking into each individual program that far, so I stick to rules of thumb, and the rule of thumb is In general, programs that require installation will leave more junk behind than programs that don't.

This seems to only be half the case with cursevoice vs FTB launcher when looking into system drive vs registry.
system drive:
- So checking this out properly I'm actually a bit aghast that the FTB launcher is storing 126MB of 'cache' in my appdata folder. (this could have easily gone into the folder I told ftb to use as an install location, WHY?). This is mostly image files for modpacks.
- Cursevoice actually only left a few random folders in appdata, and they're empty (why it didn't delete the empty folders that were named "curse" I don't know, but whatever).

registry:
- FTB hasn't seemed to have put any registry entries in that I can find, other than other programs and windows referencing it occasionally (windows seems to reference most of the recently or frequently run programs).
- However after uninstalling cursevoice from my machine, it's still left at least two folders worth of registry entries behind (I stopped searching after that).

There's another point here, I don't expect FTB to clean up it's mess, (I didn't expect it to have a mess :mad:), however an uninstaller is expected to clean up after the program it's removing, and almost none of them do it properly. The cursevoice uninstaller seems to be pretty good compared to others I've seen, but why didn't it remove those extra few folders? and why did it leave entries in the registry?

Most uninstallers are guilty of this kind of thing (It's probably hard to get right, especially when some programs carelessly splatter stuff across folders and the registry), so programs that require installation develop a stigma for leaving behind more junk than programs that don't.

Oh, and I can find a minecraft client that's completely portable in a single file (I assume you mean folder).
After testing, MultiMC seems to be content to sit in it's directory and not touch anywhere else. It doesn't put anything I could find on my system drive, and the only thing that went into the registry referencing it were exceptions from my firewall, which noticed it connecting to the net.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
There's another point here, I don't expect FTB to clean up it's mess, (I didn't expect it to have a mess :mad:), however an uninstaller is expected to clean up after the program it's removing, and almost none of them do it properly. The cursevoice uninstaller seems to be pretty good compared to others I've seen, but why didn't it remove those extra few folders? and why did it leave entries in the registry?

Would you mind putting in a bug report under the dropdown and listing the files that didn't get removed so the devs can get those added to the list?

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
I actually like the launcher so far. It's very easy to add a third-party pack for now till it comes up and running, probably some notable person would make a youtube or something how soon.

It's just launch pack with FTB, close after minecraft is done loading, open FTB folder\Modpack\Minecraft, copy contents, open curse, create custom profile, open folder for profile, paste contents, voila. done.
I do have a suggestion and a non-suggestion though if the curse folks are still listening.

1. Please for the love of pete let me change that "My Custom Profile" picture. I also second that person that wants shortcuts directly to run instances of minecraft, even if the launcher is a silent middle-man of that process. (hint, you can make the icon be a thumbnail of what we set for it's profile pic)

And the non-suggestion. Please don't add an "Update All" button. I know there will be call for it, but this should never be the natural choice of updating a private pack. Unless you plan to add in a 'undo' button for update all, trust me, it's not worth adding.

Also, a side note. A certain mod-author should add pieces of his mod as their own downloads so they can be set as requirements (I'm looking at you forge multipart!) He has NEI and ChickenCore, but not FMP there.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I actually like the launcher so far. It's very easy to add a third-party pack for now till it comes up and running, probably some notable person would make a youtube or something how soon.

It's just launch pack with FTB, close after minecraft is done loading, open FTB folder\Modpack\Minecraft, copy contents, open curse, create custom profile, open folder for profile, paste contents, voila. done.
I do have a suggestion and a non-suggestion though if the curse folks are still listening.

1. Please for the love of pete let me change that "My Custom Profile" picture. I also second that person that wants shortcuts directly to run instances of minecraft, even if the launcher is a silent middle-man of that process. (hint, you can make the icon be a thumbnail of what we set for it's profile pic)

And the non-suggestion. Please don't add an "Update All" button. I know there will be call for it, but this should never be the natural choice of updating a private pack. Unless you plan to add in a 'undo' button for update all, trust me, it's not worth adding.

Also, a side note. A certain mod-author should add pieces of his mod as their own downloads so they can be set as requirements (I'm looking at you forge multipart!) He has NEI and ChickenCore, but not FMP there.

If you look on Youtube you'll find that both JadedCat and Direwolf20 have videos on how to use the client, and several other 'Tubers have recently started new series have used the new client on-screen to load respective packs.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

The profile pic is on the list it will be coming at the same time as the "export/share" button.
And CB is planning to. I think.

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
I find the filter setting on the curse client lacking such as searching for only 1.7+ packs only.

OH_Herobrine

Jul 29, 2019
If anything, this should be in pre-alpha, it fails at creating a game profile that can even run - fails by using the stock launcher. Why did we need an 'ALL NEW' launcher, i'd have rather stuck with the old FTB launcher and actually be able to play AS2 than being unable to install the god damn pack at all

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
If anything, this should be in pre-alpha, it fails at creating a game profile that can even run - fails by using the stock launcher. Why did we need an 'ALL NEW' launcher, i'd have rather stuck with the old FTB launcher and actually be able to play AS2 than being unable to install the god damn pack at all
It uses the vanilla Minecraft launcher at the request of Mojang.

Zinthose

Jul 29, 2019
A Linux solution is being investigated.
My biggest fear Linux gamer's being abandoned here. At the very least I hope the JAR FTB launcher will stay in development until a Linux client is officially supported.

EDIT: Has anyone tested the Curse BETA on Linux using WINE? IF so I'm curious what your findings are.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
My biggest fear Linux gamer's being abandoned here. At the very least I hope the JAR FTB launcher will stay in development until a Linux client is officially supported.

EDIT: Has anyone tested the Curse BETA on Linux using WINE? IF so I'm curious what your findings are.

It crashed.

OH_Herobrine

Jul 29, 2019
I get a crash whenever I try to launch a modpack, and also - any chances we'll be able to install Beta mods using curse forge? Unless we want to play with 0 mod addons, there is no way we can make a modpack with only the stable/release versions of mods

Crazyjestor

Jul 29, 2019
After quickly scrolling through 11pages of forums looking for answer of when a MAC version is to be released. Im starting to think we MAC uses have been left behind. :(....

I have high hopes that my modded MC game play will continue. or move onward to new games without the creative and learning that MC gives me.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
After quickly scrolling through 11pages of forums looking for answer of when a MAC version is to be released. Im starting to think we MAC uses have been left behind. :(....

I have high hopes that my modded MC game play will continue. or move onward to new games without the creative and learning that MC gives me.

A mac version of Curse Voice will be available later in the year.