All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Last edited:

Kerazi

Jul 29, 2019
I have to ask, since I just now found out this was a thing, why dose it even have a friends list or anything? Seems pretty pointless to me to have all that extra stuff in what is essentially a mod manager. I got it downloading now to test it out, I'm not really pro-curse but I do want to see what they're up to here.
Curse Voice has been out for a while. It allows games that don't support native voice (or whose native voice sucks) to create ad-hoc voice chat channels. In World of Warcraft, you can use Curse Voice to join a Curse Voice chat room with anyone in your group who also has Curse Voice, all without alt-tabbing out of the game.

So they didn't add the Voice/Friends/Chat to their FTB Launcher replacement. They added a Minecraft Plugin to their Voice/Friends/Chat program. Given that they have another program that can be used to update AddOns, I'm guessing that Curse Voice/Minecraft for Curse is their new platform for managing all this gaming stuff, and things like the FTB Launcher and existing Curse AddOn updater will be going away.

Reactions: Eyamaz and Jadedcat

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Any way the 3rd party modpack add the curse beta cliens? Or how to add custom modpack, with downloaded zip file?

I don't think they'll add any beta packs while the client is the focus of bug fixes/improvements... They don't want complaints about updating pack "X" while trying to improve the client.

[edit] Custom modpacks are possible now but a better interface is coming soon from what I've read.

You might want to watch this for a better idea of what the client does now:

Kerazi

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with this. In 40 or so years I have never seen "..." used as a settings icon. I come from the command line era, before Icons or graphics on personal computers for that matter existed. Changing settings, or "Options" as they were called then, was a simple forward-slash "/" such as "Command /Option1 /Option2" etc.

Had I not seen a tweet indicating the function of the "..." button the day this loader was made available I might have mossed it, but as a long time tester of unreleased software I'm betting I would have found it.

I see "..." as an settings icon every time I open my inventory of pretty much every single Minecraft modpack I've every played. Every Minecraft pack I play includes Inventory Tweaks, which uses "..." as its setting icon.

If you want to be technical about it "..." in the launcher isn't an options icon. Its a menu with additional commands. That is how "..." is used in my Mobile RSS reader Feedly. But UI standards change. Now you see more and more that icon with "hotdogs" (Chrome ditched the wrench over 2 years ago in favor of hotdogs). In my 40 or so years, that's pretty new as well.

And to be fair to the launcher, it does use a Gear Icon as well. Its used for, not surprisingly, as an option menu for managing your Curse Client profile (where the ... contains the options for the Minecraft Plugin inside of the Curse Client).

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
Helpful Youtube video

To make sure I'm understanding correctly, this is the current method for sharing packs, but next week there will be a different method? Or this is the method to be used starting next week and going forward?

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
To make sure I'm understanding correctly, this is the current method for sharing packs, but next week there will be a different method? Or this is the method to be used starting next week and going forward?
It's the method that will be used from now on so the FTB Team can focus on making the actual packs rather than maintaining the launcher to provide those packs. :p

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, I think you misunderstood me. I understand the future plans for FTB launcher. What I'm asking about is the sharing of custom modpacks via the Curse client, which was the subject of Jaded's video.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say my feedback is about as follows:

- I really don't like the idea that to play minecraft I have to login to/create another account (I suppose it uses the MCF account?), even if I'm not using any of the features whatsoever that should require an account (offline mode for the launcher itself, anyone?).

This one stands in line with most other people that like to keep their windows installation clean:

- setup.exe: why does every little app and tiny program these days want me to 'install' it? I don't want or need you putting things into my registry or whatever corner this particular installer is throwing things into, and I don't want you on my system drive . Custom install locations only half fixes this problem because the fact is, I don't know what and where the installer is putting things, but I can know where I unzip a 'portable' program and run it from.

Sadly, I suspect both of these are unlikely to change, nor are able to be changed at this point without 'significant' effort.

I'll probably end up using the launcher eventually anyway since I'll either be strong-armed into it so I can play the latest modpacks when the FTB launcher retires, or a few of these new features will outweigh the annoyances with conveniences. I'm not averse to downloading mods seperately and installing them manually, but see below.

While I'm not entirely 'qualified' to give feedback on the app itself (I uninstalled the beta the second it wouldn't let me past the login screen without logging in), I watched the dw20 video and beleive I would be very happy with the pack construction and editing system, It seems to have been done really well, although an add mods button wouldn't go amiss. Sure, you can copy and paste the mod into the mods folder, but really, after making a fully fledged and functioning modpack building system, why not add the one extra tiny button and make it feature complete? all it has to do is copy/paste a file. That and I bet you'll get questions from a whole bunch of players asking how to add x mod, because they don't know where the mods folder, or their instance, is.

Feature suggestion: I believe the curse modpacks use a sort of meta-file (manifest.json) to keep track of all the mods in a modpack, from the file all of the mods, hosted on curse, can be found and downloaded. It should be possible to 'export' a minecraft instance made with curse into one of the manifest files, and then send it to a friend so they can 'import' it, and get all the same mods, with all the same versions, without making a whole modpack just for a couple friends (basically sharing a pack with a couple of people without putting it on curse). Can that be done already, or is it planned? It would bring new glory to small server owners everywhere.

Last edited:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

As soon as it opens up. Sometime in the next 5-7 days is what we are aiming for. Unless of course some major bug hits.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Feature suggestion: I believe the curse modpacks use a sort of meta-file (manifest.json) to keep track of all the mods in a modpack, from the file all of the mods, hosted on curse, can be found and downloaded. It should be possible to 'export' a minecraft instance made with curse into one of the manifest files, and then send it to a friend so they can 'import' it, and get all the same mods, with all the same versions, without making a whole modpack just for a couple friends (basically sharing a pack with a couple of people without putting it on curse). Can that be done already, or is it planned? It would bring new glory to small server owners everywhere.

That would only work if there were no custom configs. The json doesn't deal with those. But its an interesting idea. @Kaelten ?

Reactions: Fuzzbling

ĐevE@gŁ3

Jul 29, 2019
Jadedcat forgiveness. I do not see the video. I for example. the ultimate quest should pack, which 3rd party modpack. In the video, I do not see where such is to be given modpack was the client. The only thing I can see how to build.

Sorry my BAD english... I'm hungarian player...

d3w10n

Oct 9, 2014
I make sure to keep this link on hand at all times: http://api.feed-the-beast.com/betapackdownloads.php

Hrm?

2w7fv4z.png

Server download option is still grayed out, that's what I meant... btw when did 1.10 version popped out? :D

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Redrick73

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm tryin to see how the curse thing works on my desktop, but when I download the installer it says it's a corrupted archive. Redownloaded twice and same result. I've got the one I downloaded on my laptop to try out but I thought I'd leave a heads up.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
My initial impressions of this launcher which is supposed to retire the FTB launcher has been overwhelmingly negative (deflating) so far.

1. Why don't I have the option of installing this launcher where I wish to (like the others)? I have a small SSD running my OS, and I do not have *any non essential installations* on my main OS drive.
  2. Why does this install have a "hard dependency" on DirectX 9? Soon after the client installed, I was told that "you have a missing DirectX components, so you need to repair it before you can do some things" (paraphrase), and I had to give "admin permissions" to curse client for it to proceed. Then, I was told it is not possible for the client to do the "repairs", and I was sent to the Microsoft windows download page to install the DX 9.0 runtime. I run Win 8.1 and I had to do an additional 100+ MB download and install DX 9.0 despite having DX11 installed already! Really?
  3. When I asked to run a mod pack (MF3 beta, since I have the other packs on the FTB launcher already) to test the whole playing experience, the "download and installation" time taken, was really, really long compared to any of the other launchers. And I mean, a seriously long time in comparison.
  4. When I clicked on "play" after this whole initial circus, the curse client downloads the Minecraft launcher/client (1.6.11) again(!?), in order to play the mod pack. At this point, my mood is going from "resigned to my fate" to "monster raving loony party"!
  5. So, the MC launcher is also downloaded and I find that I have TWO COPIES OF MC LAUNCHER now in my C drive (user profile) AND now the mod pack is also installed in my user profile! I am already annoyed at the FTB launcher for storing large ZIP files of the mod pack in my damned user profile and staking up precious SSD space.... And now this!
  6. Oh, and I already have an installed Java version on my Computer. Why doesn't the client check to see if Java is previously installed on the machine? Why do I have another copy of the JRE x64 in my user profile, AGAIN?
These are real problems for the client to iron out, if it needs to be a viable long term replacement to the FTB launcher. I am sure there are others with similar constraints like mine (For e.g., small SSD size, and unable to upgrade it for some time). I really think that the MMC launcher is doing a fantastic job of managing and maintaining the mod packs, and its application design is worth emulating in the new client. D-R-Y people.

Obligatory mention of @Kaelten in my reply so he is aware of these issues faced by some of us.

Thanks,

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
  1. Oh, and I already have an installed Java version on my Computer. Why doesn't the client check to see if Java is previously installed on the machine? Why do I have another copy of the JRE x64 in my user profile, AGAIN?

The java thing is done by the new vanilla launcher as that now comes with java for some reason.

Reactions: AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
The java thing is done by the new vanilla launcher as that now comes with java for some reason.

Oh! Thanks for this information. I am guessing, that for mandating Java 8? Anyhow, that's really stupid of Mojang not to check if the damned version is already installed first.
*Mutters under his breath and goes away*