FTB Launcher News

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Try as I might I cannot find a benefit to this new launcher. It uses more CPU, and adds complexity. Could you possibly continue the development of the stand alone client as a pay for app?

Did you read previous messages in the thread? E.g.
TLDR: anyone suggesting that FTB Launcher development should continue or suggesting that FTB Launcher should use Curse as backend, please read those posts. At least first three of them.

FTB Launcer is not standalone application. There is backend for packfiles and application for pack submissions.

Reactions: Watchful11

SSDSanMan

Jul 29, 2019
I admittedly didn't read all 18 pages so thanks for the links to the key parts! It appears that the FTB statement at Minecon was a bit off. Mojang is not being very friendly at all with the modded community.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
So i take it, it's a big middle finger to us Linux users then?
No, no that is not the case at all, look at all the exploring of options they already did for us? I mean, they are doing so since practically the beginning of time so they must be very busy with that right?

(If you couldn't tell, that was pure sarcasm.)

My prediction about what we Linux users will get, assuming we even get something officially is a giant sh script that has a thousand and one dependencies, it also needs root access for who knows what reason.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
I admittedly didn't read all 18 pages so thanks for the links to the key parts! It appears that the FTB statement at Minecon was a bit off. Mojang is not being very friendly at all with the modded community.

FTB Statement at Minecon? Please, do tell for those of us like myself who couldn't afford and/or couldn't make it out to Minecon.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
FTB Statement at Minecon? Please, do tell for those of us like myself who couldn't afford and/or couldn't make it out to Minecon.
+1 Even there was unofficial stream it had low quality and did not watch.

Reactions: Hambeau

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

One of the things extremely painful for me to watch (I refuse to watch them these days and "downvote" them whenever possible) are amateurish videos taken by audience member wanna-bes who:

1) Couldn't keep a camera stable if a gun were being held to their heads
2) Can't remain silent enough to let the important audio be captured and laugh or cough when something important is said
3) Think their phone is capable of functioning well enough to capture audio and video from 50-100 feet to begin with

Heck, some of the people recording "official" streams/videos only get the opportunity because they do it for free...

Reactions: DeathOfTime

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019

One of the things extremely painful for me to watch (I refuse to watch them these days and "downvote" them whenever possible) are amateurish videos taken by audience member wanna-bes who:

1) Couldn't keep a camera stable if a gun were being held to their heads
2) Can't remain silent enough to let the important audio be captured and laugh or cough when something important is said
3) Think their phone is capable of functioning well enough to capture audio and video from 50-100 feet to begin with

Heck, some of the people recording "official" streams/videos only get the opportunity because they do it for free...

So, what exactly was the FTB statement at Minecon that caused the resolution that Mojang isn't being very friendly towards the modded community?

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
I have no idea. Did not watch the stream.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Did anyone ever record anything of quality at Minecon, or Twitchcon for that matter?

I've seen nothing posted anywhere yet. I also realize that some haven't returned home yet so it may be forthcoming.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
With regards to the Minecon panel, we found out pretty late on that there wasn't going to be an official livestream, which is a bit odd considering that Microsoft just bought a streaming platform. We had a number of announcements planned for that panel that we had to cancel as a result, there was an official recording made by the convention for later upload to, presumably, the TeamMojang YouTube account. The periscope of the panel was not an ideal solution but was the best that could be done at the time. You can complain all you like about the quality of a mobile phone video stream, but for some people anything is better than nothing and we're very grateful to the Content Creator that made the best of a bad situation (you try holding your phone in one position for an hour straight without fidgeting)

It appears that the FTB statement at Minecon was a bit off. Mojang is not being very friendly at all with the modded community.
I think the conclusion here is purely the posters opinion on the current situation and not related to what was said or not on the panel. As I said, we didn't drop any bombshells on this panel because of the fact that there wasn't a 'proper' stream of it being done. Keep an eye on the TeamMojang youtube account, VODs from Minecon are in the process of being uploaded although how long it takes them to get through them all is anyones guess. Last year it took a couple of months before the modding panels were uploaded.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
We had a number of announcements planned for that panel that we had to cancel as a result, there was an official recording made by the convention for later upload to, presumably, the TeamMojang YouTube account.
Keep an eye on the TeamMojang youtube account

Thanks for info. First time I heard about that

The periscope of the panel was not an ideal solution but was the best that could be done at the time. You can complain all you like about the quality of a mobile phone video stream, but for some people anything is better than nothing and we're very grateful to the Content Creator that made the best of a bad situation (you try holding your phone in one position for an hour straight without fidgeting)

+1 Better than nothing. I did not heard anything important being told there and that was part of the decision which made me to skip periscope stream.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
You are right about being better than nothing, and far better than rumors. I guess I was really just ranting about videos taken from within large crowds in general.

P

Phil Morris

There is no (nor has there ever been any give a crap about) a linux port of the curse launcher.
Since they've decided to alienate this section of gamers, they don't exist to us.
Long live the hard working people at FTB!

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
There is no (nor has there ever been any give a crap about) a linux port of the curse launcher.
Since they've decided to alienate this section of gamers, they don't exist to us.
Long live the hard working people at FTB!

Slowpoke has said several times now: "There will always be a linux option to download our packs)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Slowpoke has said several times now: "There will always be a linux option to download our packs)
Though that is indeed said, so far there has been no visible progress on it yet on the same time we hear that the current FTB launcher will slowly but surely be stripped down. There are already plenty of modpacks that can only be downloaded using the curse-launcher and not on the ftb launcher thus they are inaccessible for those that use Linux.

Even Microsoft has shown to care more to get Skype working on Linux then curse with their curse launcher.

If it looked like at least some progress was being done, on it there would be a lot less complains but so far all we ever got was "we are exploring options" and so far it looks like they will be "exploring options" until the end of time.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Though that is indeed said, so far there has been no visible progress on it yet on the same time we hear that the current FTB launcher will slowly but surely be stripped down. There are already plenty of modpacks that can only be downloaded using the curse-launcher and not on the ftb launcher thus they are inaccessible for those that use Linux.

Even Microsoft has shown to care more to get Skype working on Linux then curse with their curse launcher.

If it looked like at least some progress was being done, on it there would be a lot less complains but so far all we ever got was "we are exploring options" and so far it looks like they will be "exploring options" until the end of time.
Fair point. There has been a lot of no communication on lots of things lately. I think there are some third party modpack downloaders for curse for the time being.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong (and chances are I am). But from what I understand they need to basically start from scratch on a Linux version/plugin/viable whatever it'll be. Considering all the other features already involved with curse why is this an issue? it's only been 4mos or so not years. This seems like it's no mean feat.

Before lynching me here... I'm not supporting curse. I use the launcher only out of eventual necessity. I still don't feel like most of the "features" benefit this community.

I'm just asking why it taking more than 4mos is getting so much anger?

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
All of our packs are available on Linux as well as Mac/Windows. If other packs aren't then that is something you need to addressing those authors about. We've stated all along that there will be a 'solution' for Linux users to play our packs. We've never said that that way will be the Curse app (although that is the hope).

In terms of official news, while there has been, and continues to be, a lot going on behind the scenes. There is very little news that can be announced. We do plan to have a Town Hall reasonably soon to make the announcements that we were unable to make at Minecon. The situation with the launcher remains unchanged at this time though.

Reactions: jikuja