FTB Launcher News

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
All of our packs are available on Linux as well as Mac/Windows. If other packs aren't then that is something you need to addressing those authors about. We've stated all along that there will be a 'solution' for Linux users to play our packs. We've never said that that way will be the Curse app (although that is the hope).

In terms of official news, while there has been, and continues to be, a lot going on behind the scenes. There is very little news that can be announced. We do plan to have a Town Hall reasonably soon to make the announcements that we were unable to make at Minecon. The situation with the launcher remains unchanged at this time though.

I don't understand yet why the saying on the main page was yet not fixed, like Slow said he would do and that it would be simple to do, on reddit. I don't understand why the Linux launcher is being called legacy, when it is the only option(it has gotten people confuse since day one). And I don't understand the lack of communication, ftb is acting almost like Microsoft acted when Skype stopped to work on Linux, and then came the "alpha version" that only works between Linux users.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Lack of communication regarding what? I've been pretty active in this thread I think? As a whole FTB has given as much information as we currently have regarding updates to the situation. As I said, there just isn't anything new to report yet.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Lack of communication regarding what? I've been pretty active in this thread I think? As a whole FTB has given as much information as we currently have regarding updates to the situation. As I said, there just isn't anything new to report yet.

The last news about Linux support was on June, 4 months ago, and the info was: "Finally, work has started to test the viability of a Linux based client. " Which contains almost no information. I've asked several times what the progress on the Linux Launcher is and nothing has been said. If in 4 months the amount of "information that you have" is nothing than it is really troubling.

And what about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/4o81ej/ftb_deprecates_their_launcher/d4b2kdx

And why are you calling the Linux launcher legacy? Is there a non-legacy Linux? When you click on view all Downloads on the feed the beast page it directs me to a page where there is no information about Linux, so I have to look at the tiny Link bellow that says legacy, which for most people means not supported.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
In those 4 months a number of things have happened, there has been a big push to get the WoW plugin done and released along with an acquisition. 4 months seems like a long time but I wouldn't be expecting much in the way of news on that just yet. Besides which there is no guarantee (and never has) that the app itself will be the final solution for Linux users. I'll see what can be done about removing the word Legacy, in the grand scheme of things though the wording itself has no bearing on the actual situation.

Reactions: Padfoote

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Still, you have to admit that something, anything, would be better than the effective nothing Linux users are getting now. Even just a blurb from a dev or someone involved with Curse directly that boiled down to "we're working on it" would do wonders for the public perception of Curse. As it is, people tend to conflate silence with inaction; that's not an indictment of Curse, its a freaking psychological fact.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
In those 4 months a number of things have happened, there has been a big push to get the WoW plugin done and released along with an acquisition. 4 months seems like a long time but I wouldn't be expecting much in the way of news on that just yet. Besides which there is no guarantee (and never has) that the app itself will be the final solution for Linux users. I'll see what can be done about removing the word Legacy, in the grand scheme of things though the wording itself has no bearing on the actual situation.

WoW? What that has to do with Linux?

And about the word, and the way the links are presented: on reddit every now and then there is someone confused asking if Linux support is gone or if the ftb launcher is not working anymore on Linux because they can't find it. It happens when the name legacy is used, the link is hidden bellow with smaller font and there is no clarification about the fact that the "legacy" version is the only one available on your system right now. Presentation is important, and it is even more for new users who have not been following everything like the people posting here.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I can pretty much guarantee Curse gets most of their income from WoW, so it makes a lot of sense for them to stop paying attention to something so minuscule when their primary money maker needs more manpower. That's what it has to do with the Linux solution.

Reactions: jikuja

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013

And about the word, and the way the links are presented: on reddit every now and then there is someone confused asking if Linux support is gone or if the ftb launcher is not working anymore on Linux because they can't find it. It happens when the name legacy is used, the link is hidden bellow with smaller font and there is no clarification about the fact that the "legacy" version is the only one available on your system right now. Presentation is important, and it is even more for new users who have not been following everything like the people posting here.

I've seen zero confused linux users in IRC or in FTB's support channel in Curse. Do you have examples?

Usually those people who comes to ask for old launcher just hates Curse. Less than 10% have reasons like wanting to play old pack or play with linux.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen zero confused linux users in IRC or in FTB's support channel in Curse. Do you have examples?

These are the people who knows about IRC and ftb support channel in Curse(both of which I'm hearing about for the first time). They are not the new users I'm talking about. Why would I use Curse support channel since there's no Curse Launcher for Linux?

links:

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/54md4n/ftbcurse_on_linux/

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/4wu7di/linux_support_no_longer_available/

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebea...s_anyone_know_where_i_can_download_mods_from/

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/4oj9w2/question_about_starting_a_modpack_server_with/

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/434tgb/the_future_of_feed_the_beast_on_linux/

edit: Also just to clarify. All my complaints until now are about wanting a version for Linux, I haven't complained about the curse launcher because I haven't even been able to use it since I have only Linux on my PC.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Just pointing out that that is 4 users in 8 months (1 of those was about an unrelated non-FTB pack server install). Which is non-zero, ofc. I'll see about getting the word "Legacy" removed from the Linux link.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Why would I use Curse support channel since there's no Curse Launcher for Linux?
Exactly! Most of the "where can I download old launcher" questions I've personally seen have been in Curse channel. That's really weird!

The "View all Downloads" link sends you to a page which tells me how great this client I can't use is, and tells me there's a Mac and Windows client, and even, apparently, an iOS and Android version (I didn't think there were mods for mobile Minecraft, thus why the need for a client?).
Trust me I gave feedback about that. Did OP or did he just complain in unofficial reddit?

I feel I'm alone when complaining about website :/ Nobody is supporting my views: Nobody wants write their complains into websigte forum section. :/

Q already pointed this. Is this FTB pack? Is it FTB's fault if pack author decides to use not to release pack for linux users? Did FTB remove startup script from server files?

Edit: Why angry mobs are not attacking pack makers who decide to use only curse without giving access to premade zip with mods?

The FTB launcher is getting replaced by the curse launcher soon. On the feed the beast website there is only a download link for a windows executable. Does this mean we will need to use wine or other hacks to play on linux once the regular launcher gets depreceated?

That message does not make any sense:
  • First he says there is only windows executable in the page.
  • Then he uses future tense and asks how linux is supported once regular launcher gets deprecated.
Does he have time machine? edit2: OP of that message talked about future. Future is not here yet.

Last edited:

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
People are not tech savy, they tend to go to the wrong place and ask questions. For example I've seen some of these questions on the Minecraft Forum(that is not the place for that at all). People get confused and sometimes simply quit, or go back to the old launcher, like Technic, because the one that was recommended is not working. Clear communication is essential and misleading information is troublesome. People who play with me like my family has to use a pack from another launcher, have me do the install for them or do a step-by-step how to download and install the pack that we are going to play because of the misleading information on the site.

I'll see about getting the word "Legacy" removed from the Linux link.

This is something that I heard from slowpoke on reddit several times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebea...precates_their_launcher/d4b1tc9?context=10000

It was 4 months ago. And when people point it to him he simply doesn't answer them anymore, that's the kind of communication issue that is happening.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
These are the people who knows about IRC and ftb support channel in Curse(both of which I'm hearing about for the first time). They are not the new users I'm talking about. Why would I use Curse support channel since there's no Curse Launcher for Linux?

I don't know which channels they are idling in IRC but nobody in #ftb confirmed that they have seen even once per week old launcher requests by linux users. Only #minecrafthelp seems to redirect people to #FTB. And most of the redirected people does not even have problems with FTB. Usually they broke their installation with jar mods.

And like you said it does not make any sense to assume that linux users join in support channel in Curse just to ask download link for old launcher version. There must be some other reasons for asking download links. (I can't tell my honest opinion about those reason because they might be rude and offensive)
=> Quoting old launcher link requests from support in Curse chat does not make any sense.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know which channels they are idling in IRC but nobody in #ftb confirmed that they have seen even once per week old launcher requests by linux users. Only #minecrafthelp seems to redirect people to #FTB. And most of the redirected people does not even have problems with FTB. Usually they broke their installation with jar mods.

There isn't a lot of people using IRC.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
There are a lot in the MC community. Almost all modders use IRC and people playing modpacks like Resonant Rise use IRC without realizing it (their game chat is connected to IRC) :)

That's true, the first time I was really confused, but after a while I really liked that feature.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
not for sure why the legacy name should be removed from the ftb client. it isn't supported anymore. no packs are being released on it anymore? it is for all intents a legacy client and the name is extremely appropriate. As for curse not supporting linux. why is that a issue? there are plenty of launchers that still do. many of them can even install packs even. if all else fails there is the vanilla launcher which has never stopped working for newer packs. ftb packs are good, direwolf20 packs are among some of the many i have enjoyed playing. i am used to playing ftb style packs. They have a style. A way they build there packs and what mods they use in them. It takes getting used to not playing that style of pack. Still there are plenty out there that are perfectly fine and enjoyable.

The issue isn't that they aren't supporting linux. the issue is you still support them even when they don't support you. reminds me of plenty bad relationships i've heard of before. Exception with this one i doubt they would promise to change if you stayed. I doubt they would really notice if we left.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Biggest issue currently seems to be lack of status updates.

Exactly. Lack of any information and the fact that previous statements(like the one I linked above from slowpoke on reddit talking about changing the way the links are presented in the site) that doesn't get anywhere, and starts to be ignored.

As for packs not being launched: There are even new third party packs every now and then. I think someone stopped using the launcher.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Source?
Source?
Biggest issue currently seems to be lack of status updates.
What, didn't see the question mark? don't need a source to ask a question do I? Or have the rules changed? "Source" is such a asinine comeback. just refute it. Or do you not have that ability?

Edit:
Never mind i looked it up and miss remembered. the launchers will co-exist until curse is working as intended.
Either way the curse launcher(sorry app, as it doesn't launch modpacks and isn't needed at all by any modpack that uses it) will see as little support as i can give it. I know how to run a modpack from the vanilla launcher. I will likely use curse to download them though. As its method is much simpler then manually. Other then that though it has nothing i want, or need. so isn't running except to download packs for me. I sure that is enough for them. So everything seems fine by me.

I recommend people do the same with any software they make use of. Use it as you want. If you don't need it for something don't use it. If it refuses to only be used the way you want then find something else.

Edit:
As for ftb. it plans to focus on modpacks. if it makes a mod i feel like playing i will. i have enjoyed many of the packs it has made in the past and likely will far into the future. They aren't the only ones out there whos packs I play. Still I will play what I like, as I like.

I feel no loyalty to mod pack makers, or launchers. Feel no reason why one needs to be loyal to one either.
Edit:
Sorry, I stated most that wrong. I feel strongly on the subject. I just don't know the correct way to word it to get my meaning across.

I like the curse app. It lets me download packs easily. I can also easily create and edit modpacks using it. Past that I have no use for it though, as of now. I can see why people want to use it or don't want to use it. I had less use for the FTB launcher then I do for the curse app. I am certain curse wants people using it and that they will put every effort into making it usable by as many people as possible.

I mis remembered the news posts. those were my sources.

Last edited: