FTB Launcher News

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Personally, other than the way it looks, I find the Curse launcher to be better than the old FTB launcher. My only gripe is that there still isn't a download button for server versions of the packs. While I know server version for the FTB packs are available from the website. That doesn't help me with the 3rd party packs.

Reactions: jikuja
M

mouseymars

Hello,

So i just found out about this strange "curse" launcher thing, and i must say i absolutely do not like curse - they try and encapsulate everything good. The launcher however is not the worst thing i have ever used, it looks lovely and they did do a good job.

My issues with the launcher are as follows:
  1. It's insanely sluggish, things take a while to load even with my fast internet - not to mention the resources it uses compared to the last launcher
  2. I don't need anything but the Minecraft launcher part of it - What even is curse voice? Why do i want friend syncing? Why do i need a curse account?
  3. It's a lot worse than the old launcher for looking at packs, before i could just click on a pack and see all the information i needed - How do i even see what mods are in a mod pack? (yes i do know that once a pack is installed i can see the mods, but what even is the point in that? Waiting for a whole pack to download to see what mod are in it?)
  4. The change log is nice, but it's titled change logs - which is funny because i only see the latest version in there
  5. The versions list is a joke, while it's all good seeing a little filename there i would rather have a column for the version number and maybe even a way to sort things?
  6. How do i download the server zip files for the packs with a lovely and easy to use button? I also can't seem to find the server files anywhere.
  7. Would be nice to have a separate tab for FTB news, or at least make the text smaller or have an adjustable area? http://prntscr.com/byazxe
  8. When a mod pack is installing, it just says installing and lists a bunch of mods - it would be nice to know what pack is installing. http://prntscr.com/byb0ej
  9. Where are the third party packs located? This is one part of the FTB launcher i love, being able to find new and somewhat different packs to the usual things.
  10. How do i change the install folder of the packs and other options like java parameters, and option to close/open launcher after exiting minecraft? I recommend this for reference: http://prntscr.com/byb56n http://prntscr.com/byb5aj
  11. How do i hide the stupid profile bar thing? http://prntscr.com/byb4h7
As you can see, i do have several things i believe need fixed to bring this up to par, and i really hope that the old launcher does not retire as mentioned - and i don't see the point in debranding it? Isn't that just more work? But hey that's for you to decide. To be perfectly honest the main thing that bugs me is i cant scroll down packs and click them to see what mods are in the pack, it's a massive inconvenience to install them just to see this information when it could be displayed. And having server files accessible is also a massive thing missing - though i mean i could be missing something?

Edit: i installed FTB infinity Evolved, and launched it like you do.. And it's crashed. This has never happened even once on the other launcher.

Edit: Just remembered, i forgot to ask, how do i install my own mods and enable chicken chunks on infinity?

GantradiesDracos

Jul 29, 2019
*sigh* do you guys really HAVE to go though with this?
err, meaning the enforcing of using the Curse client?
it just feels unnecessary.
as a choice, sure, ive used curse before AGES ago,before i realised CKAN was a thing for KSP, but given i allready have Origin ( i know, i know), Steam,Skype,Discord,Evolve and Teamspeak 3 installed and running right now on my pc, i dont really need or want another social platform, and as far as i can see, Curse isnt really modular (i.e i can just run the components relivent to running minecraft, meaning more system resource use/slower loading).
from the comments ive seen, it seems there's at least a few other people who are fine with the legacy launcher ( and i have a few gaming buddies with..borderline PC's that have extremely long load times using the legacy launcher. with the extra overhead of Curse...)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
*sigh* do you guys really HAVE to go though with this?
err, meaning the enforcing of using the Curse client?
it just feels unnecessary.
as a choice, sure, ive used curse before AGES ago,before i realised CKAN was a thing for KSP, but given i allready have Origin ( i know, i know), Steam,Skype,Discord,Evolve and Teamspeak 3 installed and running right now on my pc, i dont really need or want another social platform, and as far as i can see, Curse isnt really modular (i.e i can just run the components relivent to running minecraft, meaning more system resource use/slower loading).
from the comments ive seen, it seems there's at least a few other people who are fine with the legacy launcher ( and i have a few gaming buddies with..borderline PC's that have extremely long load times using the legacy launcher. with the extra overhead of Curse...)

Check out the original announcement made by Slowpoke in Mar 2014 (in the spoiler of my previous post, #269)...

To Quote that post, "These negotiations have now been concluded and last week a contract was finally signed." To me that implies that no matter how much bellyaching occurs in this thread the foreseeable future has been determined and nothing can be done to change it.

Reactions: Flipz and Padfoote
S

Suomi_Jonte

Im gonna give my opinion on the launcher:
First of all, the client looks very sleak, but having to use the curse account is a pain in the butt, because you have to sluggishly create a new account.
The way you have to launch modpacks is dumb, why not do it like tekkit? just launch me directly into the game, not to the launcher.
I installed ftb ultimate, and it launches without forge, only modpack i got to work was sky factory.
Final verdict: Needs polish. Try to fix the issues with it, and maybe ill come back.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
The way you have to launch modpacks is dumb, why not do it like tekkit? just launch me directly into the game, not to the launcher.

That's actually a Mojang requirement. They don't want people making launchers that handle your MC login info. So Curse is the only one (to my knowledge) doing this the correct way. The others could get shut down at anytime at Mojang's request if they decide they want to actually enforce their rule.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
That's actually a Mojang requirement. They don't want people making launchers that handle your MC login info. So Curse is the only one (to my knowledge) doing this the correct way. The others could get shut down at anytime at Mojang's request if they decide they want to actually enforce their rule.

I would be far happier with that requirement if the new mojang launcher was being planned for Linux too, because people will have to use the old one, or the new one and if they use the new one(that is not yet launched) it's even more reason to keep us Linux users from it.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I would be far happier with that requirement if the new mojang launcher was being planned for Linux too, because people will have to use the old one, or the new one and if they use the new one(that is not yet launched) it's even more reason to keep us Linux users from it.
The launcher already works on Linux? The only thing they won't do for the Linux version is bundle it with their own java version, which is probably a good thing anyway.

Reactions: Padfoote

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
The launcher already works on Linux? The only thing they won't do for the Linux version is bundle it with their own java version, which is probably a good thing anyway.
Well I hope it stays that way after the new launcher is out(if it keeps it no Linux support status)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Well I hope it stays that way after the new launcher is out(if it keeps it no Linux support status)
So....this isn't the newest launcher?
Minecraft Launcher 1.6.61_033.png
Or is there (again) another one getting worked on? and if that is the case then can I get a link to where that is talked about?
Or do you mean the win10 version of Minecraft? because honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that stays only working for windows 10.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Or do you mean the win10 version of Minecraft? because honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that stays only working for windows 10.

Isn't that the one that requires the piece of junk Windows Store to get?

Reactions: Flipz

PolishPanda

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

So i just found out about this strange "curse" launcher thing, and i must say i absolutely do not like curse - they try and encapsulate everything good. The launcher however is not the worst thing i have ever used, it looks lovely and they did do a good job.

My issues with the launcher are as follows:
  1. It's insanely sluggish, things take a while to load even with my fast internet - not to mention the resources it uses compared to the last launcher
  2. I don't need anything but the Minecraft launcher part of it - What even is curse voice? Why do i want friend syncing? Why do i need a curse account?
  3. It's a lot worse than the old launcher for looking at packs, before i could just click on a pack and see all the information i needed - How do i even see what mods are in a mod pack? (yes i do know that once a pack is installed i can see the mods, but what even is the point in that? Waiting for a whole pack to download to see what mod are in it?)
  4. The change log is nice, but it's titled change logs - which is funny because i only see the latest version in there
  5. The versions list is a joke, while it's all good seeing a little filename there i would rather have a column for the version number and maybe even a way to sort things?
  6. How do i download the server zip files for the packs with a lovely and easy to use button? I also can't seem to find the server files anywhere.
  7. Would be nice to have a separate tab for FTB news, or at least make the text smaller or have an adjustable area? http://prntscr.com/byazxe
  8. When a mod pack is installing, it just says installing and lists a bunch of mods - it would be nice to know what pack is installing. http://prntscr.com/byb0ej
  9. Where are the third party packs located? This is one part of the FTB launcher i love, being able to find new and somewhat different packs to the usual things.
  10. How do i change the install folder of the packs and other options like java parameters, and option to close/open launcher after exiting minecraft? I recommend this for reference: http://prntscr.com/byb56n http://prntscr.com/byb5aj
  11. How do i hide the stupid profile bar thing? http://prntscr.com/byb4h7
As you can see, i do have several things i believe need fixed to bring this up to par, and i really hope that the old launcher does not retire as mentioned - and i don't see the point in debranding it? Isn't that just more work? But hey that's for you to decide. To be perfectly honest the main thing that bugs me is i cant scroll down packs and click them to see what mods are in the pack, it's a massive inconvenience to install them just to see this information when it could be displayed. And having server files accessible is also a massive thing missing - though i mean i could be missing something?

Edit: i installed FTB infinity Evolved, and launched it like you do.. And it's crashed. This has never happened even once on the other launcher.

Edit: Just remembered, i forgot to ask, how do i install my own mods and enable chicken chunks on infinity?

1. For me, thr launcher is fine speed wise, though I can't speak for everyone.
2. If you don't need the Discord type functions, just don't use it.
3.To see the mods in a pack, click it, click website, click "project site", then click relations.
4. The change logs depend on whether the pack author wrote them up. In Infinity Evolved they did not.
5. ?
6. The server files are on curseforge. View the packfiles, find ur version, click "+1 more"
7. FTB news works great, way better than the old launcher...
8. You should already know the mods in the pack from number 3, so this shouldn't matter.
9. There are WAY more third party packs on Curse. Just go to "all packs"...
10. Settings-> Minecraft settings
11. Why do you need to?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
2. If you don't need the Discord type functions, just don't use it

It will still be present, taking resources. Perhaps not as many as if it were in active use, but it's still resources.
8. You should already know the mods in the pack from number 3, so this shouldn't matter.

Alright, so you know the mods included, but that has nothing to do with what was originally said.
11. Why do you need to?

It's a waste of space and an eyesore. Why wouldn't you want to close it if it's not being used?

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
So....this isn't the newest launcher?
Or is there (again) another one getting worked on? and if that is the case then can I get a link to where that is talked about?

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...or-minecraft-linux-might-not-see-support.7733

It has been said for a while, it's supposed to be the last thing Dinnerbone will do related to minecraft.

W

whateverthisis

First things first, it's more than understandable that you want to drop the terrible current launcher, even if seems finally stable and not memoryleaky anymore (although it still doesn't actually close the process when launching minecraft). I will immediately believe it's a hacked together solution with the kind of code nobody wants to touch. I get it.

But I will never install the Curse launcher. It is the worst kind of legal software. Thirdparty junk that isn't required for any legitimate reason with a bunch of added bullshit that has no business whatsoever in a launcher, like bad voice apps and literal adware. I don't care about why you think it's a great idea to let new ftb packs be held hostage by a scumbag company, but I guess I won't be allowed to play those anymore.
Unless some kind soul will hack together a new terrible launcher or you guys will actually release packs in a sane way, by direct download or peer to peer solutions. Or if devs take the pro consumer standpoint of refusing to have their packs hosted exclusively on the new launcher.

EDIT: I also gather we would need to create accounts with this scumbag third party company. This is not a reasonable request. What the hell are you guys thinking. I'm sure most people won't mind any kind of switch, but anyone who is a more serious informed user or a dev may not. This is going to tear an already niche thing into pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piripács
J

Jeffvian

I don't know why there's so much hate for curse. It runs great and is easy to use. So what if there's one more account you need to make. We all already have three million other accounts for things what's one more. Curse makes using these massive and amazing modpacks for people that arnt quite as technicaly smart much easier. The old launcher was good but so is the new one. Change happens in life with everything. Just get used to it.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I don't know why there's so much hate for curse. It runs great and is easy to use. So what if there's one more account you need to make. We all already have three million other accounts for things what's one more. Curse makes using these massive and amazing modpacks for people that arnt quite as technicaly smart much easier. The old launcher was good but so is the new one. Change happens in life with everything. Just get used to it.
I'm sure that for those that aren't interested in the technical details it works great, however for those that know a lot about this kind of stuff there are a lot of problems. I'm not going to list them again as there are plenty of examples in this thread already.
Personally for me the biggest problem I have with it is that it has no Linux version and as a Linux user this means that no matter how great or bad it is, I won't care as I can't use it anyway.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm sure that for those that aren't interested in the technical details it works great, however for those that know a lot about this kind of stuff there are a lot of problems. I'm not going to list them again as there are plenty of examples in this thread already.
Personally for me the biggest problem I have with it is that it has no Linux version and as a Linux user this means that no matter how great or bad it is, I won't care as I can't use it anyway.

If you didn't know that Curse is already exploring solutions for a Linux client then you can turn in your "Forum Addict" badge on the way out... :D

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
If you didn't know that Curse is already exploring solutions for a Linux client then you can turn in your "Forum Addict" badge on the way out... :D
I know about that however this "exploring" doesn't have to result in an port for the curse client.
For all I know it ends up being an .sh script that is horrifically written and in-logical to use in any way shape or form.

Reactions: Flipz