FTB Horizons - General Feedback Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiUSA

Jul 29, 2019
Just wondering how people are going about making tree farms in Horizons. I'm thinking about using the Gamy's Surface blocks for crops, but I don't think the Planter would work with saplings. Overall, I quite like the feel of the modpack. Many thanks for putting it together.

Bigdog

Jul 29, 2019
Another question, issue. Anyone know what the checkerboard blocks are in this picture? They pop up right near spawn in a BoP world created with the seed The Fifth Element and appear to generate in 2x2 cubes in extreme hills biomes. Waila has no information, and breaking the block generates a crash log that I couldn't decipher. I have added mods to the game, but after removing galacicraft, mekanism, dimdoors, and reliquery, the blocks remain. The only other mods added to the pack were taken from my dw20 1.6.4 folder (twilight forest and MPS).
you can read my post on it you only need to read the 4th post down to fix it unless you mind reading everything took me 4-5h to find and fix the problem. it dont have to be ATG Alanesh just anything with a good height basically stuff over 228 its why he said extreme hills as they all go over that range. They fixed it in the tech world they just got to lazy to fix it in horizons it seems. as this apply to 3 packs the rest don't matter so it also be a problem for extreme hills in the FTB light as well they should of just fixed all 3 instead they just fix the one i don't know if ftb light is fixed have not downloaded it to see i did test the horizons and tech though only one got fixed out of those.

they need to fix it as anyone that has world gen already with using those configs has to restart on a new world if they don't want that Regen they could just go in new areas, but that's more of a pain all depends how far they get. :p

edit i like to add that the master configs has that same problem and its still not fixed or updated.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
You don't have to be a Piers Morgan or Simon Cowell to deliver negative feedback, and you've demonstrated that wonderfully, Greyed. Thank you. :)

Can we try it as a Gordon Ramsay just once, just for kicks? He'd make a pretty hilarious LPer, let's do be honest. Especially the first time Raw Chicken dropped; I feel it would provoke an existential quandry.

On another note, I'm loving the pack but I find RotaryCraft EXTREMELY difficult to get into; the in-game guide, while very comprehensive, just doesn't really cover at all what is required to get started.

I'm sure it's a great mod but I keep getting the impression I need a mechanical engineering degree to understand it... I just spent two hours trying to get some canola oil and I've pretty much given up.

Last edited:

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Those checkers are coal. I accidentally used the ID for the item instead of the ore when adding high altitude support. Also, I don't shotgun updates, I frown upon that actually, even with packs in Open Beta.
Do remember that also, until otherwise stated, all packs are still Beta.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Can we try it as a Gordon Ramsay just once, just for kicks? He'd make a pretty hilarious LPer, let's do be honest. Especially the first time Raw Chicken dropped; I feel it would provoke an existential quandry.

On another note, I'm loving the pack but I find RotaryCraft EXTREMELY difficult to get into; the in-game guide, while very comprehensive, just doesn't really cover at all what is required to get started.

I'm sure it's a great mod but I keep getting the impression I need a mechanical engineering degree to understand it... I just spent two hours trying to get some canola oil and I've pretty much given up.

You don't really. Once you get into it and understand how it works you'll be like "Really? How did I not get this in like 10 seconds?" It is not a mod you get into minutes or even hours into your world though.

Reactions: PierceSG

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
You don't really. Once you get into it and understand how it works you'll be like "Really? How did I not get this in like 10 seconds?" It is not a mod you get into minutes or even hours into your world though.
I'll have to give it another shot. I feel that a tutorial in the manual labelled "How to get your first bucket of canola" would go a long way toward understanding the concepts. I may have to overcome my distaste for videos and check out a spotlight or something.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I'll have to give it another shot. I feel that a tutorial in the manual labelled "How to get your first bucket of canola" would go a long way toward understanding the concepts. I may have to overcome my distaste for videos and check out a spotlight or something.

Yeah I had to do the same. Bevo has the most indepth videos but its 2 hours long or so over 5 vids.

lmas

Jul 29, 2019
Dont know was mentioned Bad Id thing from Ars Magic? I got on my server 1.0.6 version and its bugging out a lot of times.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019

One of my big issues is the various machines capacities. Interlinking reservoirs and gear boxes sinks HUGE volumes of lubricant into internal buffers.

Cheremenin

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so, here's some feedback. Been playing for a few days and I'm more than satisfied!

This modpack is just perfect. I've been looking for a good stable (it literally never crashed/froze) pack with aquaculture/agriculture and Pam's harvescraft (jesus, approx 400-500 food items - prepare you cookware and ingredients, also SMP fishing contests are really fun). It's basically a perfect mix of all four popular mod types - worldgen (with a bit of adventure, would use some dungeon/battle towers/etc mod), industry (Rotarycraft is incredibly amazing, so is any pack containing it, also TE3. Maybe a bit more of these? Just no old boring stuff like IC2/BC, please :c ), magic (Ars Magica, Blood Magic, TC4, Witchery (best one so far, really fun), arcane scrolls, etc) and finally farming. The latter is incredible there, and it's also still useful even if you're not into food farming (Magic Crops!)
A bunch of other mostly "random" mods like Gany, Random Things, and Extra Utilities is also a nice touch, as always.

Now about some... downsides. I guess I can suggest mods here?

Bibliocraft.
Or Carpenter's Blocks.
Or better, both.
But ideally, the first.

Why? Well, on my server, I've set up a nice underground brick kitchen with Agriculture and Pam stuff, but it feels so empty w/o Bibliocraft's chairs, tables, and shelves.
I'd like to put all of the useful stuff like salt and other common ingredients on shelves, put plates on table, put mod food on them, place nice looking lights (along with ProjectRed ones) on ceilings and walls, set up a library with bookshelves, brewing room with potion shelves, an apartment room or a house with customizable Carpenter's Blocks doors/trapdoors/beds/slopes/slabs/collapsible blocks, etc.
I know I can always add them myself, but I like having some good mods already in the pack, by default. Not only it makes it better for everybody, but also my fellow server visitors don't have to bother to manually add them themselves.

Well, that's it. A bit more mods-that-pretty-much-nobody-ever-played-with (I see quite a few being already in the pack, awesome) and a furniture mod to match with alive atmosphere mods like Agriculture.
(...I had to build a stairs sofa... Jesus christ, I haven't done that in quite a while...)

And how about Mariculture? I guess it should work fine along with Aquaculture, while making oceans/lakes a more interesting place. Another good example of an atmospheric mod.

Hope you can excuse my poor English.

Last edited:

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing around with ATG lately and I've noticed that while it makes some beautiful, realistic terrain - the top-down really does look like a proper topology map - there are certain things it tends to miss. Clay has not been especially easy to find, but more to the point, I spent several hours hunting a desert yesterday. After covering pretty much two entire continents, I was unable to find one... I finally had to cheat in a piece of cactus because I was just done at that point.

Another note, when I started playing today my TiCo Knapsack (and everything in it) had disappeared.

Last edited:

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I had similar results when I first made an ATG world (not in horizons, but same theory). But I kept going east-west in explorations, and likely didn't go far enough N/S to shift into a different climate band.

Reactions: un worry

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'm having real problems with JABBA, when I right-click on a barrel the stack goes flying off in a random direction. Once it flew out through the wall behind the barrel and into a deep lake.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I've been playing around with ATG lately and I've noticed that while it makes some beautiful, realistic terrain - the top-down really does look like a proper topology map - there are certain things it tends to miss. Clay has not been especially easy to find, but more to the point, I spent several hours hunting a desert yesterday. After covering pretty much two entire continents, I was unable to find one... I finally had to cheat in a piece of cactus because I was just done at that point.

Another note, when I started playing today my TiCo Knapsack (and everything in it) had disappeared.

The knapsack thing was happening to me on 1.5.2 as well. I fix it by calling up my inventory and clicking on the armor tab to make sure the pack is still there, then click the crafting tab and the knapsack tab reappears. It just doesn't seem to show if equipped when you fire up the game.

Bigdog

Jul 29, 2019

ATG works well with COFH core so you can set up world gen you can add clay to world gen if you want though it be in the lvls you specified. I have not really had a clay problem though maybe because I using EXLB and they changed ATG some it seems wile BOP don't change a thing they just add there biomes. So basically you get more flat wile still big mountains with using EXLB which is nice though I had to change ATG configs some just seemed little flat for me now I think I got the right amount of flat and mountain areas that I am happy with.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

A lot of the problems with ATG/BoP in Horizons is that by default a metric ton of biomes are disabled. This is especially bad when paired with ATG because the biomes are specific to climate so it'll just generate virtually the same stuff forever.

Gamabunta00

Jul 29, 2019
I really enjoyed the horizons pack, and i really liked that it was one of the first released, it was (and is) really enjoyable to play on. i feel like metallurgy wasnt documented well enough, specifically concerning how it interacts with Tinkers Construct. the idea of being able to combine the metallurgy metals sounds awesome, but if your trying to play it as normal and you have little resources its hard to know what the metals actually do unless you craft things out of them, and even then its not particularly reliable information. so basically, what i mean is if you are planning on releasing a modpack with a ton of new mods, it would be a good idea to give the wiki staff the mod list in advanced, so there would be proper documentation, or at least some documentation, on the mods available to the users before the pack becomes outdated. Otherwise it is a welcome change from the normal grind!!

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
The knapsack thing was happening to me on 1.5.2 as well. I fix it by calling up my inventory and clicking on the armor tab to make sure the pack is still there, then click the crafting tab and the knapsack tab reappears. It just doesn't seem to show if equipped when you fire up the game.
Unfortunately in this case I mean it actually outright disappeared. I've had the problem with the knapsack tab since forever, but actually having the knapsack just go away was a new one.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Unfortunately in this case I mean it actually outright disappeared. I've had the problem with the knapsack tab since forever, but actually having the knapsack just go away was a new one.

Yikes! I'll have to keep an eye on that then... perhaps even to trying to remember to unequip it before logging off. The Knapsack, as well as the Miner's, Diggers and Forestry packs are usually my first big investments after TCon.

Status
Not open for further replies.