FTB Horizons - General Feedback Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabeuk

Jul 29, 2019
Actually we use this modpack as out live pack, and so far we all love it completely.

Few things in the latest patch, great to see the enhanced portal recipe and roguelike spawn fixes! However it seems that you left all the map/minimap addons disabled on the client rather than the suggest rei's being enabled.

Also on the enhanced portals front, are they actually supposed to use a metric crapton of power? we disabled the power usage because we wanted them for ease of movement, but with a full mid level redstone energy cell they were unable to keep two portals linked for more than a few seconds without emptying the internal power storage on the Dimensional Bridge Stabilizer, and drained the cell in less than 5 mins, and thats with the portals only on for literally less than a second each time.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Hi I need help when I try to run [FTB] Horizons it crashes on MOJANG anything will help
Thanks

We ALMOST went a full page without someone asking for technical support. Thanks for ruining that for us.

Hint: This thread is not for technical support. There is an entire subforum dedicated to exactly that.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Actually we use this modpack as out live pack, and so far we all love it completely.

Few things in the latest patch, great to see the enhanced portal recipe and roguelike spawn fixes! However it seems that you left all the map/minimap addons disabled on the client rather than the suggest rei's being enabled.

Also on the enhanced portals front, are they actually supposed to use a metric crapton of power? we disabled the power usage because we wanted them for ease of movement, but with a full mid level redstone energy cell they were unable to keep two portals linked for more than a few seconds without emptying the internal power storage on the Dimensional Bridge Stabilizer, and drained the cell in less than 5 mins, and thats with the portals only on for literally less than a second each time.

Yeah I believe they are meant to consume a massive amount of power when they open, at least thats how I understand it.

My impression so far: Too many mods which are too busy and add far too little.

Agriculture, Pam's Harvest, Gany's (all), Metallurgy, just to name a few. All of them add a metric buttload of new stuff, but absolutely no reason to use any of it. I get that it is interesting to have different kinds of food, different processes of making it, or different metals. But having it to just have it without some reason (a revamp of the hunger mechanic, etc) it is just poor mechanical fluff that is too annoying to have to deal with. If they do have anything interesting to bring to the table it is, at most, one or two interesting mechanics which in no way justifies the plethora of cruft that comes with it.

I'll grant I have not touched most of the mods, but that is mainly because finding reasonable documentation which isn't more than 50% incomplete is a chore. So far out of the core set that have been included I have had need, or desire, to dabble in JABBA (ok, but I was never a fan of barrels though the dolly is bloody brilliant!), BetterStorage (dislike), BetterChests (Passable, but with TE's Strongboxes and Iron Chests in other packs...), EnderIO (meh, one or two machines are ok, I won't miss them, however). The rest either falls into unappealing (RotaryCraft/ReactorCraft), poorly documented (ESmasher's stuff, Engineer's) or I've not run into an overriding desire to look at.

Let me say, I'm not against new, or different mods. I get the idea of the mod pack as a whole. It is an awesome idea. Heck, I generally don't do standard modpacks in SSP because I like a particular blend of core mods without duplicating cruft coupled with mods I found interesting from the FTB's Forums "Suggest a Mod" topic. Just these mods, outside of the staples, are leaving me almost uniformly cold.

A few preemptive responses.

1. "Disable the mods you don't like..." - I am playing this pack on an SMP server w/guildmates and is run by someone else. Their server, their mod choice, I have little input into the matter.
2. "Play another mod pack..." - I do. In fact right now I am playing Vanilla 1.7.x with my wife (just got her into Minecraft) as well as ShneekeyCraft 1.2.6 from ATLauncher. This is what my SMP peeps decided to try, so I tried it with them.

3. "If ya don't have anything good to say..." - All of the above is my opinion on the mods in the pack and should not be construed as a comment on anyone else's preferences. The topic is soliciting feedback on the mods in this pack. Not all feedback is gonna be positive, but all constructive feedback, positive or negative, should be valuable to those soliciting the feedback.

I can't help but feel you've missed the points of quite a few of the mods. For example EnderIO isn't based around the machines it adds, which are basically added for crafting recipes and the fact that every mod needs some sort of ore duplication method apparently :p, but its appeal is within its wiring. For example being able to have an energy, fluid and redstone pipe within the same block. Metallurgy is one that before I'd agree with you on. A bunch of useless ores that add armour and tools that will never be as good as the powered gear you can normally acquire. However in conjunction with ExtraTiC its awesome. Try making yourself a platinum pick and seeing how hilariously fast you can mine stuff without any redstone applied. Gany's Mods add some interesting new items to the game, for example the Volcanic Furnace. This gives you an unpowered way of generating lava but requires massive farms to fuel. But at the end of the day its your choice, and if you'd rather play with the staples thats fine, and eventually I'll probably go back to one of the bigger packs. But this has been a lot of fun to tinker with

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
We decided to ship all map mods .disabled to avoid playing favorites. This allows any player to simply enable the one they want instead of disabling one just to enable another.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
My impression so far: Too many mods which are too busy and add far too little.

Agriculture, Pam's Harvest, Gany's (all), Metallurgy, just to name a few. All of them add a metric buttload of new stuff, but absolutely no reason to use any of it. I get that it is interesting to have different kinds of food, different processes of making it, or different metals. But having it to just have it without some reason (a revamp of the hunger mechanic, etc) it is just poor mechanical fluff that is too annoying to have to deal with. If they do have anything interesting to bring to the table it is, at most, one or two interesting mechanics which in no way justifies the plethora of cruft that comes with it.

I'll grant I have not touched most of the mods, but that is mainly because finding reasonable documentation which isn't more than 50% incomplete is a chore. So far out of the core set that have been included I have had need, or desire, to dabble in JABBA (ok, but I was never a fan of barrels though the dolly is bloody brilliant!), BetterStorage (dislike), BetterChests (Passable, but with TE's Strongboxes and Iron Chests in other packs...), EnderIO (meh, one or two machines are ok, I won't miss them, however). The rest either falls into unappealing (RotaryCraft/ReactorCraft), poorly documented (ESmasher's stuff, Engineer's) or I've not run into an overriding desire to look at.

Let me say, I'm not against new, or different mods. I get the idea of the mod pack as a whole. It is an awesome idea. Heck, I generally don't do standard modpacks in SSP because I like a particular blend of core mods without duplicating cruft coupled with mods I found interesting from the FTB's Forums "Suggest a Mod" topic. Just these mods, outside of the staples, are leaving me almost uniformly cold.

A few preemptive responses.

1. "Disable the mods you don't like..." - I am playing this pack on an SMP server w/guildmates and is run by someone else. Their server, their mod choice, I have little input into the matter.
2. "Play another mod pack..." - I do. In fact right now I am playing Vanilla 1.7.x with my wife (just got her into Minecraft) as well as ShneekeyCraft 1.2.6 from ATLauncher. This is what my SMP peeps decided to try, so I tried it with them.

3. "If ya don't have anything good to say..." - All of the above is my opinion on the mods in the pack and should not be construed as a comment on anyone else's preferences. The topic is soliciting feedback on the mods in this pack. Not all feedback is gonna be positive, but all constructive feedback, positive or negative, should be valuable to those soliciting the feedback.

Just wanted to highlight your post, particularly #3: we on the moderation staff often get slapped with the complaint that we and the FTB team discourage negative responses and dissenting feedback. Nothing could be further from the truth; not only do we value different opinions (in part because of the insight they offer into issues and ideas we might not have even considered thinking about), but one of my personal goals as a forum moderator is to make sure that everyone has an equally protected ability to voice their opinions, no matter what they are.

Unfortunately, many people choose to share their opinions in a way that is hurtful and demeaning toward other users, and provoke further fighting and bad behavior. When we on the moderation team have to deal with these posts (and we deal with them almost every day), we end up being accused of favoritism--in spite of the fact that people on both sides of an argument often end up with warnings, and the fact that we have to discipline unruly and overzealous supporters of the "majority" opinion just as much as we do those of a dissenting opinion. The rules apply equally to both sides, it's just that most of you don't get to see the details of their enforcement.

But that's not the main reason I highlighted this post. I wanted to point out your opinion, Greyed, because it is a shining example of the right way to share criticism: thoughtful, insightful, honest, and, most importantly to me, respectful. You don't have to be a Piers Morgan or Simon Cowell to deliver negative feedback, and you've demonstrated that wonderfully, Greyed. Thank you. :)

Reactions: jokermatt999

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I would point out that as of the most recent mod pack update the bedrock is being flattened. This limits the ability of players using several items/rituals.

Partial List:
Rotary craft, bedrock grinder
Rotary craft, bedrock armor
rotary craft, bedrock tools
Blood magic, minor rituals

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
Just suggestion for mod developer-FTB team. Is it possible to add "Bonus Bookshelf" with manuals similar to bonus chest? At least everyone can read what modes are about. Currently there is no idea without searching youtube how to start with some mods especially magical ones.

Reactions: Greyed

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
T'heck with that. The mod I am missing most in this mod pack? A way to automate farming mining outside of TC (which I do not care for nor use)? Nope.

Bibliocraft. Tool racks and bookshelves. Out of all the blocks that have gone AWOL those are the two I miss the most. No joke. I loved having a tool rack on every floor of my base. I didn't carry around a dozen wrenches for a dozen mods. I had several tool racks near the various machines with the appropriate tools in the rack. TiCo lumberaxe and scythe on near my manual tree farm. Wrenches near my LP junctions and BC/RC engines. Crescent Hammers on every floor for my TE machinery. TiCo Hammer in my mine's main branch for when I had to extend it. Just an elegant solution to that very common problem. Gone. *snuffle*

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
T'heck with that. The mod I am missing most in this mod pack? A way to automate farming mining outside of TC (which I do not care for nor use)? Nope.

Bibliocraft. Tool racks and bookshelves. Out of all the blocks that have gone AWOL those are the two I miss the most. No joke. I loved having a tool rack on every floor of my base. I didn't carry around a dozen wrenches for a dozen mods. I had several tool racks near the various machines with the appropriate tools in the rack. TiCo lumberaxe and scythe on near my manual tree farm. Wrenches near my LP junctions and BC/RC engines. Crescent Hammers on every floor for my TE machinery. TiCo Hammer in my mine's main branch for when I had to extend it. Just an elegant solution to that very common problem. Gone. *snuffle*

You realize this isn't necessarily meant to be one where you play a world for an extended amount of time, right? This pack is purely to allow you to try new mods that haven't gotten much attention. Not so much about stability, balance, or themed experience, but just trying a bunch of new things rather aimlessly. Though when the new launcher comes it will server another purpose along side that. You'll be able to easily use any of the under used mods in the pack in any other pack rather effortlessly.

Reactions: AlanEsh

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Again, the horizons pack was not build specifically to set up and play in as a main pack. It is a showroom for new mods, but they did go to the trouble of actually making it possible to play the pack like some other. But that is not its main purpose. So you will be missing all the common and tried and true mods.

The way I think Horizons is meant to work is that you have a DW20, Monster or something else as a main playable pack. You can then go "browse" and experiment in horizons for new mods which you can add to your main pack.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
You realize this isn't necessarily meant to be one where you play a world for an extended amount of time, right?

Yes. I even stated so in my first response in the message. The time it took me to miss Bibliocraft? The time it took me to mine my first batch of iron. Bookshelf + TiCo books. So "Extended time" isn't the factor here. ;)

Again, the horizons pack was not build specifically to set up and play in as a main pack.

Yes, I get that. I was not saying it should be included nor really lamenting that it wasn't there. The point was just to observe how something which seems so trivial is truly what I miss the most when divested of many of the core mods. An anecdote meant to add to the conversation.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Yes. I even stated so in my first response in the message. The time it took me to miss Bibliocraft? The time it took me to mine my first batch of iron. Bookshelf + TiCo books. So "Extended time" isn't the factor here. ;)

Yes, I get that. I was not saying it should be included nor really lamenting that it wasn't there. The point was just to observe how something which seems so trivial is truly what I miss the most when divested of many of the core mods. An anecdote meant to add to the conversation.

Ah my apologies then. I couldn't tell from your two posts if you got a clear idea of the pack lol. Thought it was just more feedback :p

Optibane

Jul 29, 2019
Ultimately, all of Minecraft in all it's options, is a very cool toy. :p

It's an infinite Lego set, and just when you think you've seen it all some great new mods come out.

That's the beauty of Horizons - it exposes you to a bunch of new things and gets you thinking about how they fit into your play style. Some mods add a lot of fun, some mods make us uncomfortable because they change how we are used to playing, and others might not add anything that we value. The kicker is that each of us will judge the mods on different set of criteria.

For instance, I:

Like magical crops because it adds a tidy way to make a bunch of resources renewable and fits very well with my style

Am uncomfortable with rotary craft because its new to me and I just need time to decide if I like it or not

Dislike Pam's harvest because I tend to mass produce bread or steak and then never think about food again.

So it's interesting reading through this thread to see what the pack looks like through everybody else's tinted glasses :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
As a whole the pack feels fairly random and to me it is hard to use due to my heavy reliance on BC and IC2.

Blood Magic is interesting and seems fun but I have just gotten started.
Rotarycraft looks awesome, but I feel like most people don't use it much as it seems overly complex, but give it a month and it will quickly gain popularity.

I feel that Gany's mods are very unappreciated. It helps farm nether materials and the infinite bucket has a ton of uses for making builds more compact (Multifarm, Combustion engines, etc.). Plus, who doesn't enjoy being able to through poop at other players?

Status
Not open for further replies.