FTB - Curse Update

Peter Chu

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone.
I'm not very well known here but this is my thought.
All of you calm your tits please.
They just started this new partnership and project, already you guys bombarding them with very hard questions.
Yes we don't all us window and Yes we don't all have beast machines and Yes coffee for the win.
Let them finish the first project, transfer all ftw to the new client/system/domain up and running smoothly...All happy chappy right?
Then we can focus on other OS's.
I us window OS but my friends have a iOS and Linux but he knows that these people won't disappoint him in the future.
So yea....calm down guys and gals.....pls? :3

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
So out of the 10 pages I have read. I still have not seen a full-out definite answer for the following questions.

1. Will the new Curse Client basically tell you "f-you" if you try to download say, more than 1 thing at once?
  2. Will there be a (extremely-stupid) limitation on queued-up downloads like there is now?
  3. Will there be throttling on downloads?
  4. Is this going to affect -all- games supported by the client? (WoW, for example.)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So out of the 10 pages I have read. I still have not seen a full-out definite answer for the following questions.

1. Will the new Curse Client basically tell you "f-you" if you try to download say, more than 1 thing at once?
  2. Will there be a (extremely-stupid) limitation on queued-up downloads like there is now?
  4. Is this going to affect -all- games supported by the client? (WoW, for example.)
  1. Maybe
  2. Maybe
  3. Maybe
  4. Maybe
It's still, as a reminder, all up in the air. You found no answers because there are none yet.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

As answered in several posts

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
I played WoW for 5 years and didn't like Curse to start with either. (With a lot of other people) However they did give you a free way to save you time and problems.

I started off a little off to the side when Curse and FTB first started talking about this partnership, however the more we get to talk to @Kaelten the more I'm thinking they are stepping up and thinking outside the box to what YOU want rather then what they need.

Looking forward to annoying the hell out of them if I'm unhappy about something :p I'm sure I wont be as bad as @Jadedcat however. So kinda safe.

Peter Chu

Jul 29, 2019
I think they all want what we want for this launcher so yea we'll annoy the hell out of them if they do something stupid :p
Okay now how do you kill a poro ?.....hmmmmm :/

Reactions: Kaelten

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Well
I still need an answer
Will it work on mobile?
I've been managing the technical running of these forums for over a year now and this message is what I think rather than any official view.
Personally I think it would be ludicrous for us to move to any forum software that doesn't support either tapatalk, a fully responsive design or a mobile version of the forums. Any of these would work but currently over 10% of our forum views come from users on mobile platforms. I for one would not support dropping or downgrading support for mobile users and without a full feature set and clear advantages for moving I don't see why we would. That said I don't know what deals have been done with Curse on this and it's not my call so we'll all just have to wait and see I guess.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I've been managing the technical running of these forums for over a year now and this message is what I think rather than any official view.
Personally I think it would be ludicrous for us to move to any forum software that doesn't support either tapatalk, a fully responsive design or a mobile version of the forums. Any of these would work but currently over 10% of our forum views come from users on mobile platforms. I for one would not support dropping or downgrading support for mobile users and without a full feature set and clear advantages for moving I don't see why we would. That said I don't know what deals have been done with Curse on this and it's not my call so we'll all just have to wait and see I guess.
Thank you
I was very worried about mobile being lost, so I hope Cobalt works (and that they have a similar mindset)

Reactions: Not_Steve

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I have held off commenting on this for a couple of days, atm I think that curse could end up like most large gaming companies in such as its not a case of whats best for the game/ftb/moders its more a case of what can be financially justified, as in adding linux based loaders & seeking mod permissions , we see this all the time with large companies that often the great & often best ideas are put on hold or just dropped as they may well not be financially viable in the current market.

There was a wall of text here that I just deleted, until more info is available I feel I cant really comment, one question thats nagging me is will ftb still be the soul owners of ftb as a brand ?.

& if any of us for any unknow reason do not wish to use a curse loader what options will be left ?.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
will ftb still be the soul owners of ftb as a brand ?.

& if any of us for any unknow reason do not wish to use a curse loader what options will be left ?.
FTB will be owners. Whether sole owners or not, I'm not sure, but as I understand it, they will be owners (if I'm wrong please don't kill me for spreading false rumours Jaded :S).

Your option will be to use the API that may or may not come out and build your own client, or wait for someone else to do so and release theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Actually for #4 things like no ads, no throttled downloads and the other feature changes we're doing will be carried back to all games. :)
...Is it just me or is Curse going from being "Apparently Evil" to "Actually not half bad"? Before you joined I heard a lot of "Curse = Bad" sorta talk. Now I'm uncertain if this was purely misinformation or if Curse is actually stepping up and trying to represent their users desires better.
Still wish I had a Tophat and Petticoat, though. I can't be dapper enough 'til I get those.

Reactions: Kaelten

Torino10

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a coder, and this whole statement may be completely irrelevant, but Linux is the most popular operating system if you count android and arm architecture in general. I enjoy playing Minecraft on my smartphone as well as on my pack of gum sized android based pc. Once MCPE servers support mods and modpacks I will certainly be setting up my own server.

My point is this, setting up support for the curse launcher now on Linux for x86 may be beneficial on the server and client side of things if Arm continues to grow at it's current rate.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a coder, and this whole statement may be completely irrelevant, but Linux is the most popular operating system if you count android and arm architecture in general. I enjoy playing Minecraft on my smartphone as well as on my pack of gum sized android based pc. Once MCPE servers support mods and modpacks I will certainly be setting up my own server.

My point is this, setting up support for the curse launcher now on Linux for x86 may be beneficial on the server and client side of things if Arm continues to grow at it's current rate.

You are correct.. if you leave out Windows and OS X.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

osmarketshare.png

I could not find one single solitary source anywhere aside from you that believe linux is the most popular operating system...

Android is based on Linux.... however it is not a gaming platform. There aren't any mods for the pocket edition so we can't release modpack for it... so its kind of irrelevant.

THe only relevant OS for this discussion are desktop/laptop because those are the only platforms there are mods for. They are the only platforms we will be releasing modpacks for. So they are the only platforms the Curse Client needs to work on. So um yeah... no Linux isn't even close. Win 8 even beats Linux.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Android is not Linux... Android is really a Linux Application, one that is becoming less useful (more closed) every day considering the hardware and access restrictions I've been reading about in the next release, such as no external SD card support.

I'd like to see a client for Solaris myself, but I won't argue the point.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
There aren't any mods for the pocket edition so we can't release modpack for it... so its kind of irrelevant.

Despite my own disappointment at pulling the APK apart only to find an ARM binary, you might be surprised to hear that other people stuck it out and have indeed made some mods for MCPE. I think someone added in redstone functionality back before Mojang did, even. These aren't the kind of mods you would ever put in a pack, though. To my knowledge they're still at the equivalent of the JAR mod phase of desktop Minecraft.