FTB Beyond Release

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
ports never work out good. always something wrong with the graphics.

Arimus

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,

I think I am missing something. I can't seem to make alumite and I therefore have no way of mining cobolt or ardite? What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Hey guys,

I think I am missing something. I can't seem to make alumite and I therefore have no way of mining cobolt or ardite? What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Use an obsidian sharping kit. You can pour lava and water into the smeltery to get the obsidian. Pour it into a sharping kit cast. The add the kit plus flint to your pick.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,

Yeah it was upsetting to see Alumite is gone from the Tinkers mod, that was my go-to material for all my early-game needs.
To get around this problem, I scoured NEI (or JEI or whatever acronym we're using for it this year) and discovered there's a block called Iron Alloy Furnace, which can make "Steel Blend" and the block runs off coal, doesn't need RF. Then I used Tinkers to make steel ingots, and make a steel pickaxe which can mine Obsidian blocks. Then I immediately made an Obsidian pickaxe in order to mine Cobalt and Ardite.

So it's theoretically possible in this modpack to have a Manyullyn sword before the very first nightfall (altho you'd have to build your Tinkers smeltery pretty darn quick haha). There's so much Cobalt and Ardite in the nether it's almost ridiculous, but from a player's standpoint, it sure is a positive for us. :) Also, in case you're afraid... don't be. The nether in this modpack is probably the least scary I've ever been in. Basically only two real threats, the Ghasts, and those red colored Creepers. Or falling into lava from a great height, I guess that "threat" won't ever disappear in any pack. hehe

So Alabaster was disabled in the configs. How are we supposed to make the Environmental Tech stuff with out it?

Well that explains my server-mate's complaints about Alabaster last night. LOL No wonder he was so confused and/or agitated over it. Since I never used EnviroTech mod before I couldn't help him.

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Well that explains my server-mate's complaints about Alabaster last night. LOL No wonder he was so confused and/or agitated over it. Since I never used EnviroTech mod before I couldn't help him.

I did find out there is hardened stone variant of the technical block needed to make environmental tech stuff. So tell him to use that recipe instead of the one that uses alabaster.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
After playing the pack for a few days now, it's apparent that the "Tech Reborn" mod is an attempt to copy GregTech. But it's got a lot of WIP (work in progress) items, and thus it seems incomplete.

Here's my thoughts: why do we need a GregTech copy mod, when the real GregTech mod is still in active development? Why not just use the GregTech mod?

For those unaware... please don't respond. LOL Yes I know all about the falling out between FTB and Gregorious after the 1.4.7 FTB Ultimate modpack days... the good old days. sigh

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
After playing the pack for a few days now, it's apparent that the "Tech Reborn" mod is an attempt to copy GregTech. But it's got a lot of WIP (work in progress) items, and thus it seems incomplete.

Here's my thoughts: why do we need a GregTech copy mod, when the real GregTech mod is still in active development? Why not just use the GregTech mod?

For those unaware... please don't respond. LOL Yes I know all about the falling out between FTB and Gregorious after the 1.4.7 FTB Ultimate modpack days... the good old days. sigh

its not a GregTech Copy... @Pyure just teached me this some week ago :) I think its a mod that add the machines from Gregtech/ic2 but without the other more hardcore mechanics that GT would bring.
This is why I think it fits well into this pack.

Reactions: Pyure

Maverik

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it was upsetting to see Alumite is gone from the Tinkers mod, that was my go-to material for all my early-game needs.
To get around this problem, I scoured NEI (or JEI or whatever acronym we're using for it this year) and discovered there's a block called Iron Alloy Furnace, which can make "Steel Blend" and the block runs off coal, doesn't need RF. Then I used Tinkers to make steel ingots, and make a steel pickaxe which can mine Obsidian blocks. Then I immediately made an Obsidian pickaxe in order to mine Cobalt and Ardite.

So it's theoretically possible in this modpack to have a Manyullyn sword before the very first nightfall (altho you'd have to build your Tinkers smeltery pretty darn quick haha). There's so much Cobalt and Ardite in the nether it's almost ridiculous, but from a player's standpoint, it sure is a positive for us. :) Also, in case you're afraid... don't be. The nether in this modpack is probably the least scary I've ever been in. Basically only two real threats, the Ghasts, and those red colored Creepers. Or falling into lava from a great height, I guess that "threat" won't ever disappear in any pack. hehe

I believe you can use steel to mine cobalt/ardite, or at least that's how it was for very long time. Also AA drills do that with ease, although their usage questions big point of TiC.

Real gregtech looks nothing like it was in 1.4.7. It's a completely new mod which is supposed to be played nearly on its own and changes minecraft perspectives entirely. Try infitech2 if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Real gregtech looks nothing like it was in 1.4.7. It's a completely new mod which is supposed to be played nearly on its own and changes minecraft perspectives entirely. Try infitech2 if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

I barely even remember FTB Ultimate days. LOL That was probably 3 years ago now? More? But yeah, Infitech2 modpack is by far my favorite modpack, I'm still playing my world. GregTech is my favorite mod of all time, since I'm a techhie. :) So I hear ya. I know all about GT's ore distribution, it's one of the things I absolutely love about that mod, but yes I understand why it makes the mod kinda/sorta incompatible with most other mods (or modpacks) unless you do a lot of work on config changes. Jason McRay and BloodAsp did such an incredible job, I cannot praise either of them highly enough. Heck, I even got so used to "no infinite water" that it surprised me taking a bucket in this new pack and seeing the water fill back in. :)

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings, back to FTB Beyond!