Forge: My list of grievances

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
When I say us, I don't mean all of us, just an indefinite set of people whom I hoped would reply if they were part of that us.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I feel like I should post a naked chick or a kitten to dispel the tension.
baby+chicks+n+kittens.jpg

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, GregTech isn't a mod that I'm going to be creating any drama about whatsoever. I made the decision roughly five minutes after first hearing about that mod, that I was extremely unlikely to ever go near it. Problem solved.

So youre a read a book by its cover rather than actively try ity out and observe how it effects things in-game.

What a scientist.
ಠ_ಠ

Starting to think this is all just a troll. Well done!
[DOUBLEPOST=1368140361][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cute chick with a nice pussy?

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
ok so I have never clicked so many likes on a page before. Their was a lot of good arguments but in the end people are people. They don't have to like you and you certainly don't have to like them. As said many times in this thread they do it because they enjoy it and If they didn't well I'm just going to jump on the bandwagon of make your own mod. I just don't see the point of raging against someone for something they make for enjoyment rather than the person they are.

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
He's sort of right though, but it's not a modder problem. It's a problem with software developer culture in general. Somehow it's become very competitive, prescriptive, and derisive.

I struggle every day not to take on the dad mode voice when telling people about programming because the truth is I only understand very tiny spheres of a truly massive discipline. But given how rare software engineers are in the general population you end up with a false sense of expertise. The Dunning-Kruger effect is most dangerous to people who think they're too smart to fall prey to it.

Quoted for truth. However it's just not our profession, it's any field where you can or are something that most people can't or won't do. Every once in a while I get a whiff of elitism from the modders but I think the above couple with being young is the cause.

Reactions: Morvelaira

BananaSplit2

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say everyone have correct points. Yes the modders, streamers and youtubers offer us free entertainment and we give them as much as they give us, but also yes some modders are egocentric, some streamers enjoy crushing down others and some youtubers think they're celebrities and are worth more than others.

In the end this is exactly the same everywhere in human society. Such debates are useful to say what must be said, to try and make things better. It's not about bashing the OP for wanting to say what he wanted to say. If you're not capable of having a debate on such matters without having anger entering the thing, then not one is better than the other.

Everlast

Jul 29, 2019
Celebrities are made, not born. I don't see what all the rage is about when in fact, all things discussed are the reflection of the community's decisions as a whole.

Everlast

Jul 29, 2019
The world would be a better place if this was true.

They are the direct result of people needing someone to look up to. Streamers and YouTubers are nothing without their viewers. So yeah, they are indeed made - by the community which starves entertainment.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
They are the direct result of people needing someone to look up to. Streamers and YouTubers are nothing without their viewers. So yeah, they are indeed made - by the community who starves entertainment.

Some people are made/born celebrities by virtue of their inheritance.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Some people are made/born celebrities by virtue of their inheritance.
Like the Royalty and Nobility.
Also people with famous parents.
Though that's not necessarily true, considering that some kids are born with talent completely opposite of the parent, or don't ever take the time to nurture their talent.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
The trend towards elitism and insularity has perhaps been most strikingly visible with Eloraam. I've been using her mods since before 1.7.3, and back then, she referred to it as Integrated Redstone. This was back before RP World and a lot of other things; the wiring and the integrated blocks were the only real thing there. Back then, however, she was friendly and a lot more communicative; I used to see her regularly responding to people in the RP Minecraftforums thread. Over time, however, and as the mod got bigger and Forge was developed, that changed. We started hearing less and less from her; and for me, the straw which really broke the camel's back was the fact that ShadowDragon and Direwolf20 were making YouTube videos which featured a 1.4.7 version of RP2, probably three months before there was a public release.

Most of the OP has already been covered and debated to death. But there's a couple things I want to say about this bit.

About videos showing off RP2 before it was released: did you notice all of the issues and bugs that RP2 (and plenty of other mods on Forgecraft) had? Seriously, there's a reason why they get to play with mods first. It's because they're beta testing. It's because the mods aren't finished or bug-free. It's because their server probably crashes FAR more often than servers using the released versions of mods. I recall one of DW20's videos from a few months ago where Forestry multifarms wouldn't accept anything from pipes. Another one where the entire server crashed because of a single typo in a single mod. And so on. I've noticed while watching both Direwolf's SMP season 4 and his Forgecraft 2 videos that he mentions crashes A LOT. Many such crashes even happen WHILE he's recording. Do you experience daily crashes for a multitude of reasons? No? Forgecraft is the reason why.

About Eloraam: she's busy. VERY busy. She has a life beyond Minecraft modding and it's a very busy one. If you've checked out her twitter at all, you'd know that she's had several lengthy absences from the whole Minecraft community due to her rather demanding job. What spare time isn't spent working is spent coding RP2. You'll notice that she doesn't really show up on Forgecraft any more. Not because she's insular, but because she doesn't have time.

Also, you're just mad about RP2 not being out for 1.5 yet, aren't you? Like, I'm fairly certain that's the underlying reason for your post, and the reason why you decided to complain NOW about something that has supposedly bothered you since a date that coincidentally seems to match up with the period of time when RP2 wasn't out for 1.4 yet.

EDIT: By the way, your thread title? Horribly inaccurate. You have no grievances with Forge itself. You have problems with the modders.

Status
Not open for further replies.