Forge: My list of grievances

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
So I disagree with the majority of the OP as modders like Lemming, PowerCrystals(Despite not being on FC), OhaiiChun, and many others are a breathe of fresh air compared to modders from many other communities. Most of the time streamers and youtubers are casting from playing on FC/2 they aren't doing it to grow their epeen; they're doing it to give you a look at what you can use in the future. That said there is only one mod dev from FC that I know of that is "elitist" and only one other than has changed a good deal because of his mod. The latter is Pahimar.

I know I'll get a bit of flak for saying that, but to be sure I love Pahimar. He's an amazing modder and I have talked to him many times in EddieRuckus' streams and is extremely fun to talk to. The only problem is since the end of EE2 he took HUGE amounts of flak for it. I wouldn't be surprised if he got death threats of his own. EE2 was large in part the most polarizing mod(Second in topic only to technic/tekkit) of the MC community. He has since, and understandably so, taken on a "fuck all" attitude when it comes to the topic of EE2 and most of the things from it. I do hope in time he changes this because EE2 had tons of wonderful things and refusing to talk about them or accept ideas for even balanced versions of them(I understand this can and is being compensated through open source code) seems like steps down the wrong path.

The only modder I've seen be elitist of the level of FlowerChild is cpw. He seems to classify modders(Only ones that are his friends) as a completely separate class of people which is usually what leads to this kind of stuff. Two of his larger changes lately were the filler nerf and the removal of book enchanting IC2 tools. Many would argue these two changes were seeking of balance but really when I see cpw talk about the changes... it's not at all. He's more "Haha you can't use that anymore because I say so". A prime example of this to me is the filler change. He specifically changed it so that you cannot undue it and made it non-configurable. Again many would say this is balance but for anyone that's ever looked through the configs there was already a config option to make the filler destroy blocks it mined. the only change that needed to happen was to make the default of the config file set that to true. If anyone has any logical reasoning as to not do that please do tell. The change to the tools was basically a nail in the coffin for IC2 tools. The only thing they had over Tinkers tools was speed when they could be enchanted. Now they don't have anything on them and are basically weak, expensive versions of the power tool from MPS. It does sadden me that he seems to be the ego stroking kind of modder because of the huge amount of things he's added to the community but nonetheless the attitude is still toxic.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds good, but not gritty enough. Too much constant supervision is not a good thing :).

Then again, what do I know, I ain't got my own little bundles of poop yet.

sure as hell am looking forward to it though

I thought "subject of the queen"land outlawed home schooling. People sure claim it here everytime the subject of making it illegal here. ("Europe does it" is deemed sufficient argument, and felt to end all need of further discussion. At least by those spouting it.)

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Can I post my list of grievances? Not everyone here's part of Forge, but ...

Lexy is clever, he made all of this,
Elo and Flower are busy with a kiss,
Sengir and Covert are fixing OP,
Power and Soaryn don't look so to me!
Neptune is missing, what a tragic lament,
Bioxx? For his crimes he will repent!
Calclavia and Alkbaba are warring,
Someone really needs to give Pahimar a warning!
Cpw is the repairman to ask,
And no one but Binnie makes black gold so fast!
Benimatic and XCompWiz give Steve more land,
Azanor lets golems give him a hand.
Myrathi gives mobs a bit of a yelp,
Chickenbones gives some technical help.
Spacetoad does, too,
But not like AlgorithmX2.
Scott's always lagging the bleep out of us,
And Greg nerfed these lines so they don't even rhyme!
If I left out a modder,
It's cos I forgot her.
(Or him.)
Why didn't I post it in that flame bait war?
I did that simply cos this one is newer.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
The only modder I've seen be elitist of the level of FlowerChild is cpw. He seems to classify modders(Only ones that are his friends) as a completely separate class of people which is usually what leads to this kind of stuff. Two of his larger changes lately were the filler nerf and the removal of book enchanting IC2 tools.

Lol! You must smoke crack.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
A prime example of this to me is the filler change. He specifically changed it so that you cannot undue it and made it non-configurable. Again many would say this is balance but for anyone that's ever looked through the configs there was already a config option to make the filler destroy blocks it mined. the only change that needed to happen was to make the default of the config file set that to true

It's still changeable(from buildcraft 3.5.0):
Code:
   # set to false to prevent fillers from dropping blocks.
    B:dropBrokenBlocks=true

# If true, Filler will destroy blocks instead of breaking them.
    B:filler.destroy=false

If anyone has any logical reasoning as to not do that please do tell. The change to the tools was basically a nail in the coffin for IC2 tools. The only thing they had over Tinkers tools was speed when they could be enchanted. Now they don't have anything on them and are basically weak, expensive versions of the power tool from MPS. It does sadden me that he seems to be the ego stroking kind of modder because of the huge amount of things he's added to the community but nonetheless the attitude is still toxic.
And as far as I know Alblaka never intented for the tools to be enchanted, and removed the capability because it was a bug, not a feature.[DOUBLEPOST=1368118898][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can I post my list of grievances? Not everyone here's part of Forge, but ...

Lexy is clever, he made all of this,
Elo and Flower are busy with a kiss,
Sengir and Covert are fixing OP,
Power and Soaryn don't look so to me!
Neptune is missing, what a tragic lament,
Bioxx? For his crimes he will repent!
Calclavia and Alkbaba are warring,
Someone really needs to give Pahimar a warning!
Cpw is the repairman to ask,
And no one but Binnie makes black gold so fast!
Benimatic and XCompWiz give Steve more land,
Azanor lets golems give him a hand.
Myrathi gives mobs a bit of a yelp,
Chickenbones gives some technical help.
Spacetoad does, too,
But not like AlgorithmX2.
Scott's always lagging the bleep out of us,
And Greg nerfed these lines so they don't even rhyme!
If I left out a modder,
It's cos I forgot her.
(Or him.)
Why didn't I post it in that flame bait war?
I did that simply cos this one is newer.

You're a poet and you didn't know it.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It's still changeable(from buildcraft 3.5.0):
Code:
  # set to false to prevent fillers from dropping blocks.
    B:dropBrokenBlocks=true

# If true, Filler will destroy blocks instead of breaking them.
    B:filler.destroy=false

And as far as I know Alblaka never intented for the tools to be enchanted, and removed the capability because it was a bug, not a feature.
Those configs do nothing and were there before he made the nerf and now do absolutely nothing aside from letting items stay to be able to be picked up for a fraction of a second or just not shop up at all.

Regardless of bug or feature it made them pointless and I could have sworn seeing info from cpw saying something about him doing it for them.

Only when I have to read your posts.

Reactions: agaricus

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Lol, I read that and my first thought was "Where's King Lemming"? :D

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
*sniff* I'll be over here in my corner. Alone and forgotten.

Seriously though, I lol'd.
It's fine KL, I got you covered ;)

Lambert2191 said:
THERMAL EXPANSION!!!
vs
INDUSTRIAL CRAFT 2!!!

FIGHT!

Look at your mod, it's old and it's faded,
When was the last time it added content you created?
The only reason you're around,
is other talent can be found,
creating things for you to keep your head above ground.

People cry about balance and point fingers at EE2
But no one seems to give a damn 'bout your Pink UU Goo.
Your power supply is boring,
your methods leave me snoring,
people say your mod is easy but it's criticism you seem to be ignoring.

You have the confidence of a new kid on the block
You huff and you puff but you're all just talk
Builcraft used to be hardcore
a power system you couldn't ignore
until your lame conduits and energy cells came to the fore

My mod has been around for years
if I need something talent appears
you say that's bad thing
all these addons I can bring
but have you forgotten you're just another BC addon, "King" ?

WHO WON?!?!?
YOU DECIDE!!!!

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019

Yep, realized I'd somehow managed to leave you out about 5 minutes after I posted that, at which point I was unable to edit it due to being in a shower.

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
Sir, you simply managed to get Lamblasted and have two posts from King_Lemming here on this thread.

Getting lambasted hasn't really affected me at all, I will admit. I wrote in the OP that I was not expecting it to be well-received in all quarters. As for the two appearances from King Lemming, while I found said responses articulate, well-balanced, and civil, I hope you are not implying that I should view them as some kind of divine dispensation. That would only serve as a demonstration of my original point, and you wouldn't want to give me further cause for believing that my opinion is justified, would you? ;)

If you re-read this thread and still don't realize what in the name of God have you done, I am personally coming to your house to force you to re-read this one more time.

Judging by the last sentence in this post, we are living on different continents; but perhaps it would not be wise at this point for me to name which one I am on.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Was there a point to this little screed or do you just enjoy the taste of bile?

Protip: if you are jealous of someone's community, and their subsequent success and fame, then build your own successful and famous community.[DOUBLEPOST=1368122600][/DOUBLEPOST]

He's sort of right though, but it's not a modder problem. It's a problem with software developer culture in general. Somehow it's become very competitive, prescriptive, and derisive.

I struggle every day not to take on the dad mode voice when telling people about programming because the truth is I only understand very tiny spheres of a truly massive discipline. But given how rare software engineers are in the general population you end up with a false sense of expertise. The Dunning-Kruger effect is most dangerous to people who think they're too smart to fall prey to it.[DOUBLEPOST=1368122653][/DOUBLEPOST]

Your comfort, sir is that you and PowerCrystals are neck and neck for the best damn mod of 2013. You'd better watch out, he has a quarry now. :)

No one else is even close to you (and he) in terms of delivering a quality, usable mod that offers really novel and useful stuff. Everyone else is about a mile behind in terms of quality. Thermal Expansion and MineFactory Reloaded are going to start fighting for the cherished "must-have" spot that Redpower 2 occupied.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
He's sort of right though, but it's not a modder problem. It's a problem with software developer culture in general. Somehow it's become very competitive, prescriptive, and derisive.

I struggle every day not to take on the dad mode voice when telling people about programming because the truth is I only understand very tiny spheres of a truly massive discipline. But given how rare software engineers are in the general population you end up with a false sense of expertise. The Dunning-Kruger effect is most dangerous to people who think they're too smart to fall prey to it.

I've noticed this a good bit since starting classes for programming three years ago in college and have since decided to pull out from it because of it. Not because I saw it in other people but because I saw it start happening to me. Really is a sad thing though.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Your comfort, sir is that you and PowerCrystals are neck and neck for the best damn mod of 2013. You'd better watch out, he has a quarry now. :)

Naw, I'll solidly concede that one to PowerCrystals. Fact is that MFR and TE have a lot of parallels - each team is 2 coders and an artist. The difference is that the MFR team has time to do stuff. Zeldo, Cynycal, and myself are all ridiculously slammed with work and life right now. By the end of the summer, I'd expect TE to maybe have a dozen new blocks at most and power armor. I have no idea what MFR will be able to whip up, but it will be extremely impressive.

Also, it's not a quarry, it's a Deep Core Mining mechanic. ;) Same thing I had planned for months and months, but it's further down my tech tree and we have slightly different takes on it.

Also, PC and I coordinate on a lot of stuff - we share code and fixes, I'm integrated on his Straw API, he added TE-based recipes, I just added laser support on all of my ores, he's using my new liquid code, etc. That's really what you're seeing here.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Also, it's not a quarry, it's a Deep Core Mining mechanic. ;) Same thing I had planned for months and months, but it's further down my tech tree and we have slightly different takes on it.

Then you know more about it than I do. Because I can spawn it in and get the precharger to hum, but the actual laser block appears to do nothing for me. :( Still, don't sell yourself short, sir. It is not about quantity.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Those configs do nothing and were there before he made the nerf and now do absolutely nothing aside from letting items stay to be able to be picked up for a fraction of a second or just not shop up at all.

It was actually Slowpoke, after seeing Etho use it in a video, who made a big stink about using the filler as a mining tool instead of the quarry.

Your ignorance and blame spreading though, is mildly amusing. Do keep it up.

Only when I have to read your posts.

More lying! You gotta get that under control.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed this a good bit since starting classes for programming three years ago in college and have since decided to pull out from it because of it. Not because I saw it in other people but because I saw it start happening to me. Really is a sad thing though.

Seek humbling experiences. First humbling experience: learn Haskell. After about a year you may actually find it useful. Then you have 2 problems.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It was actually Slowpoke, after seeing Etho use it in a video, who made a big stink about using the filler as a mining tool instead of the quarry.

Your ignorance and blame spreading though, is mildly amusing. Do keep it up.

More lying! You gotta get that under control.
It was actually cpw who made the change in the code and gloated about it on twitter. The same as he did with the IC2 tools even if he didn't make the change himself. He loves to shove it in people's faces.

Oh I really must get that lying under control. It is so absolutely terrible.

Seek humbling experiences. First humbling experience: learn Haskell. After about a year you may actually find it useful. Then you have 2 problems.

I'm still torn on whether I'll continue learning to code much. I don't plan on using it for a job so it's a moot point unless I actually learn something worthwhile. I'll look into though to see if it is.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
It was actually cpw who made the change in the code and gloated about it on twitter. The same as he did with the IC2 tools even if he didn't make the change himself. He loves to shove it in people's faces.

Yes, we all know Slowpoke isn't a coder. Did you have a point?

Status
Not open for further replies.