Direwolf20 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

JesterGaming

Jul 29, 2019
Any tips on getting this to run better? Im hitting around 30fps and lows of 12.

Ive installed optifine changed a few options that should give me better fps but no luck im running on java 8.

Pc specs are -
8320 @ 4ghz
Gigabyte windforce oc 3x 280x
8gb ddr3 ram
256Gb ssd

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Running 1.0.3

Does anyone know of a way to detect an item on the ground?
I am attempting to automate the powering on and off of my AE2 Growth accelerators.

I have a transfer node as the bottom of the pool with an item filter to pull the completed Pure Crystals. I would like to have a way to see if there are items in the pool, turn on the accelerators then once they are completed and pulled out of the pool have them turn off.

Thanks in advance

Gloval

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Running 1.0.3

Does anyone know of a way to detect an item on the ground?
I am attempting to automate the powering on and off of my AE2 Growth accelerators.

I have a transfer node as the bottom of the pool with an item filter to pull the completed Pure Crystals. I would like to have a way to see if there are items in the pool, turn on the accelerators then once they are completed and pulled out of the pool have them turn off.
Steves Factory Manager can do that
Other than that Pneumaticcraft has a block that can act as item detector

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
My DW20 based world has become increasingly laggy.
I have invested heavilly in a thaumcraft golem driven tree farm and have flattened a large area that I have lit with arcane lamps.
Opis does not indicate any particular bottle necks but does show that I have over 10k tile entites that are "glimmers of light", but the cumulative time associated shows as ~100 microseconds in the opis report so I'm not sure that that is the issue.

The problem is the lag persists even when I leave the area entirely. And there the Opis "loaded chunks" view shows that chunks near this treefarm are remaining loaded. (The spawn chunks ARE elsewhere). If/when I restart the server the chunks near this base don't load - until it gets visited. And then they don't unload.

I am beginning to suspect thaumcraft as the area that remains loaded ecompasses the area lit by arcane lamps and/or frequented by my golems.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
I would think that 1/10 of a second just on "glimmers of light" would cause a bit of lag. 2 out of every 20 ticks just on those alone. Then MC has to do all the other ticks of things happening.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
I would think that 1/10 of a second just on "glimmers of light" would cause a bit of lag. 2 out of every 20 ticks just on those alone. Then MC has to do all the other ticks of things happening.
micro != milli :)

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
My DW20 based world has become increasingly laggy.
I have invested heavilly in a thaumcraft golem driven tree farm and have flattened a large area that I have lit with arcane lamps.
Opis does not indicate any particular bottle necks but does show that I have over 10k tile entites that are "glimmers of light", but the cumulative time associated shows as ~100 microseconds in the opis report so I'm not sure that that is the issue.

The problem is the lag persists even when I leave the area entirely. And there the Opis "loaded chunks" view shows that chunks near this treefarm are remaining loaded. (The spawn chunks ARE elsewhere). If/when I restart the server the chunks near this base don't load - until it gets visited. And then they don't unload.

I am beginning to suspect thaumcraft as the area that remains loaded ecompasses the area lit by arcane lamps and/or frequented by my golems.
The biggest and most imoprtant question here is this: is it tick lag (TPS) or frame lag (FPS)?

It's quite possible 10,000 tile entities of lights are causing considerable FPS lag, whilst not really affecting TPS. As it persists regardless of where you are this seems unlikely though.

If it's TPS, then it may not be the glimmers of light, although being 10,000 tile entities, it could be just that minecraft is having a hard time keeping track and updating them all. does opis track the time it takes for minecraft to do it's stuff with tile entities, or just the tile entities themselves? if the latter, which I suspect is quite possible, then its possible that the sheer number of tile entities is the problem, rather than the time each individual one takes to update, even when added together. There's a difference between the time it takes minecraft to visit each tile entity and the time it takes that tile entity to do whatever it is it does, the former is usually a lot less than the latter, but for 10,000 tile entities which are probably doing almost nothing, it could be the other way around and it could add up quickly. A mod author would probably be more informed in this area than I.

Its also possible that it's the particles the glimmers emit that are lagging the game, 10,000 glimmers all emitting particles could add up quickly, and probably wouldn't be lumped together under 'glimmers of light' in opis. Though I suspect, if built correctly, the particle systems in minecraft/thaumcraft should have a safety against particles being emitted/updated if they're too far away, which means it should stop when leaving the area or looking in a different direction. Again, a mod author might know whether minecraft/thaumcraft implements such a system.

As for the chunks loading, well, chunk loading is often an odd thing, and they sometimes take a while to unload after a visit. I wouldn't think that the lights would be chunkloading. The golems might be, but I've never heard of them chunkloading before. It's probably either a glitch, not waiting long enough after leaving, or something else loading the area. Opis should be able to tell you if the chunks are force loaded or player loaded, which should help determine the cause.

The best way to test whether or not it's the arcane lamps is to simply remove them (and all the glimmers). If it's a big enough problem that it requires direct intervention, then use the admin-type tools at your disposal and creative the lamps out/in, or switch to peaceful while you tinker with the lights, testing lag. If you're game you can do it all in survival, but if the threat of a darkened large area is what's preventing you from simply removing the lights to do some testing and fix your game, then set it to peaceful while you do so.

Personally I'd rather cheat to fix game-breaking bugs and enjoy my survival game, than be completely 'honest' and crippled by them. Although in this particular instance I'd probably just sleep through nights, and kill the lights in survival ;).

Of course there's the possibility that it isn't that area at all that's lagging the game...

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest and most imoprtant question here is this: is it tick lag (TPS) or frame lag (FPS)?

It's quite possible 10,000 tile entities of lights are causing considerable FPS lag, whilst not really affecting TPS. As it persists regardless of where you are this seems unlikely though.

If it's TPS, then it may not be the glimmers of light, although being 10,000 tile entities, it could be just that minecraft is having a hard time keeping track and updating them all. does opis track the time it takes for minecraft to do it's stuff with tile entities, or just the tile entities themselves? if the latter, which I suspect is quite possible, then its possible that the sheer number of tile entities is the problem, rather than the time each individual one takes to update, even when added together. There's a difference between the time it takes minecraft to visit each tile entity and the time it takes that tile entity to do whatever it is it does, the former is usually a lot less than the latter, but for 10,000 tile entities which are probably doing almost nothing, it could be the other way around and it could add up quickly. A mod author would probably be more informed in this area than I.

Its also possible that it's the particles the glimmers emit that are lagging the game, 10,000 glimmers all emitting particles could add up quickly, and probably wouldn't be lumped together under 'glimmers of light' in opis. Though I suspect, if built correctly, the particle systems in minecraft/thaumcraft should have a safety against particles being emitted/updated if they're too far away, which means it should stop when leaving the area or looking in a different direction. Again, a mod author might know whether minecraft/thaumcraft implements such a system.

As for the chunks loading, well, chunk loading is often an odd thing, and they sometimes take a while to unload after a visit. I wouldn't think that the lights would be chunkloading. The golems might be, but I've never heard of them chunkloading before. It's probably either a glitch, not waiting long enough after leaving, or something else loading the area. Opis should be able to tell you if the chunks are force loaded or player loaded, which should help determine the cause.

The best way to test whether or not it's the arcane lamps is to simply remove them (and all the glimmers). If it's a big enough problem that it requires direct intervention, then use the admin-type tools at your disposal and creative the lamps out/in, or switch to peaceful while you tinker with the lights, testing lag. If you're game you can do it all in survival, but if the threat of a darkened large area is what's preventing you from simply removing the lights to do some testing and fix your game, then set it to peaceful while you do so.

Personally I'd rather cheat to fix game-breaking bugs and enjoy my survival game, than be completely 'honest' and crippled by them. Although in this particular instance I'd probably just sleep through nights, and kill the lights in survival ;).

Of course there's the possibility that it isn't that area at all that's lagging the game...

1. Since upgrading to 1.6.4 my minecraft server GUI has ceased to show the performance graph.
2. I run, for safety, the server on my PC and use a localhost entry to play against it from my client. This means any client crashes don't crash the server and thus don't corrupt the game. The PC is a quad core running 64bit java (for both) has 16GB of RAM. Normally I get about 60-70fps, but with this world fps drops to an average 40fps, until it spazzes out and drops to below 10. At the same time, the server starts emitting messages about ticks taking too long, skipping 1000's. I don't think that rendering is the problem as, if I am running this server and I play a different single player game (that normally gets 100fps) I get very low fps. So, somehow, despite having 4 cores and loads of ram, a busy server process causes the clients fps to drop.
3. Despite the "skipping ticks" messages on the server console, nothing really leaps out at me from opis - other than the large number of glimmers. But, again, opis claims they take merely hundreds of microseconds - I am concerned that the large number of TEs is causing a processing cost "outside" of where opis can measure.
4. The chunks in this base, once loaded, remain loaded (according to the mapwriter map bundled with opis) for hours. Also, a charcoal burning power facility in that base will run out of charcoal while in this state, indicating both that its loaded, and that the chunks are acting more like spawn chunks - they are loaded but not processing random ticks - the charcoal runs out as trees are not growing.
5. I was using chunk loaders to work around the trees not growing problem. But I removed them, and the witchery poppet table that opis indicated was force loaded. There are no force loaded chunks in this area (and the actual spawn chunks are far away).
6. The only non vanilla blocks in the area (that I know of) are thaumcraft, AE2, chisel and witchery. So one of these mods must surely be the root cause of the chunks not unloading.
7. As a counter point, I did copy the world to a SSP save folder, load it as a single player world and destroy arcane lamps in creative. I was down the <2k glimmering lights and did not see an improvement in FPS. But perhaps there are internal data structures that "remember" the 12k max and continue to incur a cost. I did not unfortunately have time to exit and reload the world to test :/

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
1. Since upgrading to 1.6.4 my minecraft server GUI has ceased to show the performance graph.
being that it's the DW20 pack, you should have access to "/tps" and/or "/cofh tps"

2. I run, for safety, the server on my PC and use a localhost entry to play against it from my client. This means any client crashes don't crash the server and thus don't corrupt the game. The PC is a quad core running 64bit java (for both) has 16GB of RAM. Normally I get about 60-70fps, but with this world fps drops to an average 40fps, until it spazzes out and drops to below 10. At the same time, the server starts emitting messages about ticks taking too long, skipping 1000's. I don't think that rendering is the problem as, if I am running this server and I play a different single player game (that normally gets 100fps) I get very low fps. So, somehow, despite having 4 cores and loads of ram, a busy server process causes the clients fps to drop.
Remember, in general, minecraft doesn't care about cores, it usually uses 1 or 2 threads (are you 4core/8thread or 4core/4thread?). If I recall correctly, there have been attempts at increasing the multithreaded nature of minecraft, but so far it still sucks at multithreading, I think dimensions are the only multithreaded thing at the moment.

Also, whats your GHz? for client and server on a heavy world I'd recommend at-least 3+ GHz.

And for completeness sake, how much RAM are you allocating to the server, and to the client, each?

3. Despite the "skipping ticks" messages on the server console, nothing really leaps out at me from opis - other than the large number of glimmers. But, again, opis claims they take merely hundreds of microseconds - I am concerned that the large number of TEs is causing a processing cost "outside" of where opis can measure.
It may be the sheer number of tile entities, or it may just be the general lag that starts happening when things start getting hectic on a heavily modded game. For instance, how gradual was the lag buildup, did it start suddenly, or has it been getting steadily worse? Just how many golems are in the tree farm, and how large an area are they farming? How many other automated systems are running, and how many chunks are loaded in general (besides those randomly loaded ones). Are the builds efficient? I could go on...

If the lag buildup happened gradually it's unlikely you'll find a single cause of lag, as its probably everything working together that's overwhelming the game.

4. The chunks in this base, once loaded, remain loaded (according to the mapwriter map bundled with opis) for hours. Also, a charcoal burning power facility in that base will run out of charcoal while in this state, indicating both that its loaded, and that the chunks are acting more like spawn chunks - they are loaded but not processing random ticks - the charcoal runs out as trees are not growing.
5. I was using chunk loaders to work around the trees not growing problem. But I removed them, and the witchery poppet table that opis indicated was force loaded. There are no force loaded chunks in this area (and the actual spawn chunks are far away).
6. The only non vanilla blocks in the area (that I know of) are thaumcraft, AE2, chisel and witchery. So one of these mods must surely be the root cause of the chunks not unloading.
Based on this, I'd say it's a random bug or a vanilla feature us modded users have no knowledge of. If it were any forge mod loading the chunks, opis should report it as 'force loaded', which it isn't.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
is anyone else having problems with the rednet controller from Minefactory Reloaded?
whenever I break a controller and place it back down it's bugged and can't be used at all.

so far this has happened 2 times now and the controllers have become complete useless, and it's a bit expensive to constantly craft a new controller...
do note I tried to reinitialize the controllers and that doesn't work at all. I also tried breaking it with other tools, also didn't work

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
being that it's the DW20 pack, you should have access to "/tps" and/or "/cofh tps"

Even if I run a brand new vanilla server with the GUI enabled the tps graph is blank. Can't believe i'm the only one experiencing this.

Remember, in general, minecraft doesn't care about cores, it usually uses 1 or 2 threads (are you 4core/8thread or 4core/4thread?). If I recall correctly, there have been attempts at increasing the multithreaded nature of minecraft, but so far it still sucks at multithreading, I think dimensions are the only multithreaded thing at the moment.

I know. Thats was suprised me. Afaik the new multi threaded chunk loading only is in MC 1.8.

Also, whats your GHz? for client and server on a heavy world I'd recommend at-least 3+ GHz.

And for completeness sake, how much RAM are you allocating to the server, and to the client, each?

Each is getting -xmx2G as the ingame f3 shows me about 1.5G allocated and memory usage <60%.

It may be the sheer number of tile entities, or it may just be the general lag that starts happening when things start getting hectic on a heavily modded game. For instance, how gradual was the lag buildup, did it start suddenly, or has it been getting steadily worse? Just how many golems are in the tree farm, and how large an area are they farming? How many other automated systems are running, and how many chunks are loaded in general (besides those randomly loaded ones). Are the builds efficient? I could go on...

Lag has been getting steadilly worse, but I have not been adding a lot of industry. Just a "small" golem powered treefarm thats meant to keep a small AE2 storage system up. No AE2 autocrafting, its just arrays of disks to store the 100k cobble I really really need. for some purpose.

All told there are about 8 golems moving stuff between chests, an2 vibration chambers, an infernal furnace and an overflow chest that feeds into the AE2 system: a single chopping core golem cutting the trees and a use core golem to replant saplings.

If the lag buildup happened gradually it's unlikely you'll find a single cause of lag, as its probably everything working together that's overwhelming the game.

Most of the build has been decorative, so the lag buildup has coincided with the placement of arcane lamps as i've levelled and built.

Based on this, I'd say it's a random bug or a vanilla feature us modded users have no knowledge of. If it were any forge mod loading the chunks, opis should report it as 'force loaded', which it isn't.

I know that it is quite easy to create an inadvertent chunkloader using hoppers pointing across chunk boundries. Buildcraft can also end up loading chunks without force loading them if a pipe carrying items flows into an unloaded chunk. It seems that there are many ways to unintentionally end up keeping chunks loaded without "force loading" them. At any rate force loaded chunks ususally process random ticks properly such that trees grow and other randomly cued events happen.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Even if I run a brand new vanilla server with the GUI enabled the tps graph is blank. Can't believe i'm the only one experiencing this.
"/tps" and "/cofh tps" commands, not gui on the server.

Each is getting -xmx2G as the ingame f3 shows me about 1.5G allocated and memory usage <60%.
I doubted it was running out of memory, since usually that just results in a crash. Anyway, have you checked what the CPU usage is like per thread? that should indicate if the server and/or client are crapping out on CPU power.

All told there are about 8 golems moving stuff between chests, an2 vibration chambers, an infernal furnace and an overflow chest that feeds into the AE2 system: a single chopping core golem cutting the trees and a use core golem to replant saplings.
How many saplings? I'm not sure how optimised the 'use' golems from thaumcraft are, but that could be something to look into. Though you did say small, so it's probably not that, I might be clutching at straws...

Most of the build has been decorative, so the lag buildup has coincided with the placement of arcane lamps as i've levelled and built.
Are you using loads of carpenters blocks or multiparts? Sometimes those can lag out games when used in large quantities, e.g. Fireball's base on forgecraft, so laggy everytime DW visits :p.

Also, are you on 1.0.3 of the pack? It updates forge to fix a performance issue, and have you added fastcraft?

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
"/tps" and "/cofh tps" commands, not gui on the server.

I doubted it was running out of memory, since usually that just results in a crash. Anyway, have you checked what the CPU usage is like per thread? that should indicate if the server and/or client are crapping out on CPU power.

How many saplings? I'm not sure how optimised the 'use' golems from thaumcraft are, but that could be something to look into. Though you did say small, so it's probably not that, I might be clutching at straws...

Are you using loads of carpenters blocks or multiparts? Sometimes those can lag out games when used in large quantities, e.g. Fireball's base on forgecraft, so laggy everytime DW visits :p.

Also, are you on 1.0.3 of the pack? It updates forge to fix a performance issue, and have you added fastcraft?

re the "tick time" graph missing on the server GUI - I am just perplexed that its been missing for so long and Mojang has not fixed it. Unless (somehow) I am either the only person who runs a server with the GUI enabled, or the only person who sees (doesn't see at least) this glitch.

I have added fastcraft. When I first switched to 1.7.10 I had to add it due to the massive generation lag the game started experiencing.

I don't know how to check the CPU usage per (java) thread? I know that the server process is busy (Across multiple cores) as is the client (which is expected given the cpu cost of rendering).

I want to use carpenters blocks but havn't started yet due to the increasing lag. Mostly chisel, and the mods mentioned.

1.0.3 is being used. Allthough Ive updated Thaumcraft and Twilight Forest as Direwolf seems to be lagging a bit there.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
re the "tick time" graph missing on the server GUI - I am just perplexed that its been missing for so long and Mojang has not fixed it. Unless (somehow) I am either the only person who runs a server with the GUI enabled, or the only person who sees (doesn't see at least) this glitch.

I have added fastcraft. When I first switched to 1.7.10 I had to add it due to the massive generation lag the game started experiencing.

I don't know how to check the CPU usage per (java) thread? I know that the server process is busy (Across multiple cores) as is the client (which is expected given the cpu cost of rendering).

I want to use carpenters blocks but havn't started yet due to the increasing lag. Mostly chisel, and the mods mentioned.

1.0.3 is being used. Allthough Ive updated Thaumcraft and Twilight Forest as Direwolf seems to be lagging a bit there.
Ok, a couple things you haven't tested that I've asked for:

Is it client lag, or server lag? which should narrow down if it's TPS related or FPS related. (graphics/rendering vs contraption/computational)

To test:
first, go into the game, and confirm it's currently lagging, then:
In the server console, type the command "/tps" or "/cofh tps" a few times, what's the average number you're getting back? (since you're using the gui, you can probably omit the slash)
then after logging out and closing the client completely, do it again, what's the average number this time?

What is the GHz of your processor, how fast is it?
Another way of testing if this is an issue is by testing how many and how much of the different CPU threads/"cores" are taken up:
If you're on windows (if not, you'll have to google) open task manager and go to the 'performance' tab.
There should be 4-8 graphs under "CPU Usage History", how high is each graph while running the server, then how do they change when you login and run the client too?

You could also look at the processes and check how much CPU is being used by "javaw.exe", then take that number, and multiply it by the number of graphs in the "performance" tab. that's how much % of a thread minecraft is using (it might be over 100% if its running on two CPU threads or more). generally if it's at 100% or so, then the CPU is capping out.

For these tests to be accurate, try to minimise background running applications, or get a baseline before starting the server/client at all.

This should determine if its *just* the server lagging, or if the client is contributing.

Honestly, form the descriptions the only thing that could conceivably cause that much FPS or TPS lag would be the 10,000 or so tile entities (or a buggy block somewhere, they can do really random stuff), so I'd retest that properly too. To be sure of a proper test, I'd backup the world and use MCEdit, or just locate the region file, and delete the entire area, then hop back on and see if it's still laggy (and for that matter, if it's still loading oddly). That's generally the most foolproof way to track down laggy areas. Though it does take some trial and error, that's often what MC world debugging is.

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
@Chris Becke To answer your question about the server GUI. Most minecraft servers (modded and vanilla) do not run on windows boxes. They run in a linux environment. All of the preconfigured servers like creeper host use linux. So there is no GUI.

Also, have you tried to run the server on separate box so the that the client and server aren't running on the same machine. While this can be done it really isn't a recommended solution. Especially if the lag you are seeing is TPS lag.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft_server.jar does include a rudimentary GUI that can be accessed by not passing -nogui when launching it. It has a console log. List of logged in players. And a stats panel showing a (blank in current versions) tick time graph, memory used and avg tick.

My CPU is a quad core (4 graphs in total) 3.2 ghz i5-3470.

More tellingly I performed this experiment: created a completely new sap world. Moved away from spawn and verified that no chunks other that around me are remaining loaded according to opis.
Placed a few arcane lamps and moved away. The chunks with lamps persisted for a bit longer than other chunks then unloaded.

Then I placed about 20 lamps and waited for nightfall so they created about 2k glimmering light te's.

When I moved away the core of the lot area remained loaded. And then actually extra chunks started to re load around the edges. 40 minutes in and that area shows no sign of unloading.

I think from this it's clear that arcane lamps/glimmering lights do something that causes their chunks to persist for a while. And at some critical mass they start to chain updates such that they can never properly be unloaded.

aram_mco

Jul 29, 2019
Why can not I add "redstone flux capacitor" at my broadward? I've 4 modifier slot but i can't add :s
Sorry for bad english

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Why can not I add "redstone flux capacitor" at my broadward? I've 4 modifier slot but i can't add :s
Sorry for bad english

the flux modifier has been changed in 1.7.10
you can now add different tiers of flux capacitors to tinker tools which increases their RF storage
but with that there's also a small condition, you can't add high tier flux capacitors to low material tools.
for example you can't add the highest tier flux capacitor onto a stone tinker's tool