Botania - An innovative natural magic themed tech mod (Not in beta any more!)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm liking the "consume fuel even if not useful" idea for most of the flowers. Though I wouldn't do that for the Thermalily, the vast majority of the setups I see that use them would become nearly completely un-usable. Timing is a really REALLY annoying thing to troubleshoot.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mention that any timer that is not exactly set to the correct time will de-synchronize after a while, unless you somehow detect when the flower produces mana.
Plus, letting it consume hot fluid while cooling down makes no sense.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I meant Endoflame. I totally meant Endoflame!
The Thermalilly needs to be able to waste lava from Blood Magic and Flood-Gate based setups, that's what's making them so cookie-cutter, it's literally set-and-forget and it produces mana at some of the highest sustained rates in the mod (at current time).

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of nerfing, I believe some buffing is required for those flowers that requires one to think ahead and plan out the setup.

For example, Entropinium (sp?) produces too little mana per tnt IMO. Too much planning for too little in returns.

Hydroangea is producing very little mana but I find it is fine since it is pretty much a set and forget flower.

Same for Thermalilies if you take cross mods interaction into account.
However, if you are playing with only Botania, Thermalilies isn't a flower you would even be thinking or using.

There are a lot more flowers I've not yet play with but these are my humble opinion of those I did.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I'm liking the "consume fuel even if not useful" idea for most of the flowers. Though I wouldn't do that for the Thermalily, the vast majority of the setups I see that use them would become nearly completely un-usable. Timing is a really REALLY annoying thing to troubleshoot.

I kinda avoid any flower that consumes even when it won't benefit from it. I understand the mechanic, but the only real 'vanilla' timers are too large and bulky to make automating them worth it to me in the presence of other flowers that don't waste the fuel so profligately. It's the reason I always avoid using the Gourmaryllis, despite wanting to like it.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that Thermalillies are either impossible to automate, or blindingly easy to automate depending upon your set of mods. Which make them either just this side of powerless or just about the only thing you'll ever need.

I can't think of a way to nerf them in packs with Blood Magic, Thaumcraft, Buildcraft, or BluePower without outright nerfing them into unusability in a pack without liquid placers and or lava producers. Other than a greedy consumption mechanic. Which requires little effort to implement and doesn't change how it functions in a meaningful way beyond requiring timing.

Maybe a radius diminishing return multiplier? I guess you could make it able to eat lava from a really wide radius but work a lot like the MFR sewers in that overlap in areas causes a malfunction? That would make them useful for eating lava lakes, and then you could transfer the mana with warp lenses and/or mana storage devices like tablets.

Actually... that's something that might be useful. Something that can detect if a flower/altar/brewery/etc is currently storing mana from a short (8 blocks?) distance and emit a redstone signal. It would allow people to more easily automate the delicate timing based flowers without relying on honestly flaky MC timing methods. Make it Elven Knowledge and require beating the Gaia Guardian but make a few at a time per spirit. Then the "problem child" flowers aren't immediately the One True Setup because of power/skill ratio, but when you progress into the endgame of the mod you can MAKE them into the One True Setup again assuming you don't want to deal with the hassle of one of the more interesting builds.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
I had an Idea...

Sooth Sayer:
Type: Block
Function: This would be a block that has a GUI that you can type sentences into. It will remember said sentences and upon being activated by redstone (It will have 15 lines that you can type into and based off of how strong the pulse it it will use the respective line) it will "Say" it, Coporea systems are the only ones that can "See" the text that its saying, This allows you to automate the corporea system.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
I had an Idea...

Sooth Sayer:
Type: Block
Function: This would be a block that has a GUI that you can type sentences into. It will remember said sentences and upon being activated by redstone (It will have 15 lines that you can type into and based off of how strong the pulse it it will use the respective line) it will "Say" it, Coporea systems are the only ones that can "See" the text that its saying, This allows you to automate the corporea system.
That is a very interesting thing you have come up with.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
There would be no other way to do it and it would make the Corporea system actually useful.
You could do it another way. Consider the idea of having it be that you use the wand to set it to a setup mode where it remembers the first thing that is said to an adjacent/nearby corporea system then reverts to a functional mode where it'll perform the command in response to redstone/mana pulse/whatever you want.
Honestly though its not really needed. Corporea is more of a way for the player to interact with their storage centrally. For using the items in the storage in automated systems etc, just have stuff interact with the actual storage vessels...