Botania - An innovative natural magic themed tech mod (Not in beta any more!)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Trying to work out a way to automate Living Stone/Wood production... without SFM. ExtraUtils doesn't seem to want to help, even with World Interaction upgrades. Is there another mod that can be used to wait until the wood/stone becomes living wood/stone then harvest it?

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
A little bit of redstone and some sort of blockbreaker will do it. Just time how long the Daisy turns a ring into Living blocks, then setup a timer to trigger the breakers. Even Automated Activators will do in a pinch, although a fast signal repeater need to be added and some sort of collection system like vacuum hoppers.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Trying to work out a way to automate Living Stone/Wood production... without SFM. ExtraUtils doesn't seem to want to help, even with World Interaction upgrades. Is there another mod that can be used to wait until the wood/stone becomes living wood/stone then harvest it?

Later in the game the mana spreaders can be upgraded with a block-breaking Bore Lens, and you can use redstone signals to automate them. Hopperhocks or plain hoppers can gather the broken blocks.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
The only way without SFM is to use old fashioned horribly error-prone and/or inefficient "manual timing".
Which is one of the major gripes I have with a lot of botania automation: it relies on redstone timing and manual testing.
Which means variable tickrate can make it very very error prone. It's why I want production flora to be capable of outputting a comparator signal while they have mana in them. Then you don't have to use the error prone and inelegant automation systems we currently see.

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
It's why I want production flora to be capable of outputting a comparator signal while they have mana in them. Then you don't have to use the error prone and inelegant automation systems we currently see.
Maybe a block that replaces the dirt you plant the flower on? That'd be pretty cool. Make it Elven Knowledge so that it doesn't break the early-game.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Another flower, a spark augment, something added onto the corporea system, a new mode for the Wand of the Forest... I honestly don't know... Maybe a Dreamwood wand of the forest allowing the flowers themselves to output a relative strength redstone signal with a special mode? 0 mana = 0 redstone. 1 mana to 6.66% full = 1 redstone, etc up to 100% (only) being 15. I've never liked the fudge factor in a couple of comparator outputs where 0 is output at a range, and 15 at a range. 0 should only ever be 100% empty and 15 should only ever be 100% full. If you want to get "mostly empty" that's what 1 is for, and "not quite full but really close" is 14. (I'm looking at you Thermal Expansion Energy Cells... *grumble*

Oh speaking of sparks, is the dispersive spark augment faster than a mana pool at charging items, and do multiple dispersive augments stack for charging rate? I'm asking mostly because of the terra shatterer. I could easily make a rig to just keep it atop a mana pool fed by sparks and such in a chunkloaded area, refreshing it every 4 minutes... but that strikes me as rather cheaty if I can just use spark augments to do it "legit".

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Cross-mod interaction yay!
This is my example setup (click thumbnail)
2015-03-19_19.20.50.png

I'm using block placers from Openblocks and block breakers from ProjectRed (mainly because they use iron picks, where Openblocks' use diamond picks).
The turtle checks every X seconds (10 in my example) if the block infront of it is the same as in the turtles selected slot. If yes, send redstone signal and print a Yay in the log, if not print a Nope in the log.
Whe redstone signal is sent, the blocks get broken and 8 ticks later, new blocks get placed.

You could also make this system only use 1 turtle and do both, livingwood and livingrock.

This is the (very primitive) code I came up with:
Code:
while true do
  if turtle.compare() then
    print("Yay")
    redstone.setOutput("back", true)
    sleep(1)
    redstone.setOutput("back", false)
  else
    print("Nope")
  end
  sleep(10)
end

But honestly, SFM is way easier to set up xD

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I would personally choose SFM over CC for the simple reason that you don't need to learn a coding language to use it. Granted, Lua seems to be pretty easy, but still...
Of course, There are some things that CC can do that SFM can't, and vice versa. (I, think?)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Move, bundled redstone, and multiple functions in one block. I think that might be the only things CC has over SFM. Add in the peripherals mods and that number of things goes up, but unless you need all the logic in one block, or the machine to move on it's own? SFM beats out CC for everything I've used SFM for ever.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I used Botania quite a bit in my last world but I decided not to include it in my new one. Its a huge mod with a lot of features so I dont really take the decision lightly. But most of my time spent with the mod was me trying to figure out ways to generate mana at a respectable rate, not actually using the mana for anything interesting. And its really hard to get excited about having an efficient mana producing setup when its so ugly and noisy that you have hide it away from view. The question I kept asking myself is "why flowers?"...Why does it have to be about flowers? Ugly boring flowers. Why couldnt it have been crystals or something remotely interesting?

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019
I used Botania quite a bit in my last world but I decided not to include it in my new one. Its a huge mod with a lot of features so I dont really take the decision lightly. But most of my time spent with the mod was me trying to figure out ways to generate mana at a respectable rate, not actually using the mana for anything interesting. And its really hard to get excited about having an efficient mana producing setup when its so ugly and noisy that you have hide it away from view. The question I kept asking myself is "why flowers?"...Why does it have to be about flowers? Ugly boring flowers. Why couldnt it have been crystals or something remotely interesting?
c20b63ef3a.png

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019

There are plenty of interesting things to use the mana on. Ore production (orechid), dungeon loot production (loonium), or chasing that SS Terra Shatterer come to mind. Or if you're a bit more 'modest' in your desires you could always just go for a set of Terrasteel armour and equipment. And just like with any energy-producing system, you only need as much energy as you'll use. If you're "not using the mana for anything interesting" then you're creating too much mana.

As for aesthetics? You can make some pretty damn pretty mana generation systems. I've seen many setups posted on Reddit. I've even seen a pretty slick setup (ab)using aer-infused fire from TT that's more than a touch amuzing. It's designed to *be* pretty and worth looking at ... if you like flowers. And if you don't then, and pardon my bluntness, what the fsck are you doing using Botania!? If you want the same old boring techy energy gen with generators/dynamos/engines that a mass majority of mods use then use those mods instead!

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
There are plenty of interesting things to use the mana on. Ore production (orechid), dungeon loot production (loonium), or chasing that SS Terra Shatterer come to mind. Or if you're a bit more 'modest' in your desires you could always just go for a set of Terrasteel armour and equipment. And just like with any energy-producing system, you only need as much energy as you'll use. If you're "not using the mana for anything interesting" then you're creating too much mana.

As for aesthetics? You can make some pretty damn pretty mana generation systems. I've seen many setups posted on Reddit. I've even seen a pretty slick setup (ab)using aer-infused fire from TT that's more than a touch amuzing. It's designed to *be* pretty and worth looking at ... if you like flowers. And if you don't then, and pardon my bluntness, what the fsck are you doing using Botania!? If you want the same old boring techy energy gen with generators/dynamos/engines that a mass majority of mods use then use those mods instead!
*enthusiastic applause*

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019

Not to pass over all the utility "rods" that Botania has to offer. There's so many I can't even remember right now... Bifrost, Shaded Mesa, Terra Firma, Depths, Seas...
Also, the baubles. O, the baubles. Plethoras of baubles. Seriously, try them. You're missing out on a huge chunk of the mod if you just stick to flowers.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
You could do this to automate Livingrock/wood. As I stated in the comments, almost everything there could be replaced with Botania/Vanilla blocks. The Itemducts are the exception, but you could use Pfaeff's Mod for that.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You could do this to automate Livingrock/wood. As I stated in the comments, almost everything there could be replaced with Botania/Vanilla blocks. The Itemducts are the exception, but you could use Pfaeff's Mod for that.
Eh, I'm hesitant to rely on timing as server lag is a Thing. Also, the bore lens requires elvin gate tech, so that's more of a late-game stage. By that point, you almost don't need automated livingstone/wood anymore.

Not seeing a good way to fully automate without using either CC or SFM, neither of which I'm a big fan of. They blow the power curve off of my private pack, much like EE2 did back in 1.2.5. Fortunately, you don't need enormous quantities of either resource, so manual works well enough.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest problem is probably detecting if the stone or wood has already been converted. I also dislike relying on timers there.