Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
You have a point with libraries. I'm not at all familiar with them, so I don't know how a reasonably-well-designed game would use them or how difficult they would be to decompile, modify, and replace.

In any case, I think we all know Mojang's stance on an actual modding API. How many years have they been promising to create one?
It's been years now. It's either going to happen very soon or its not going to happen at all. I had hoped that the Microsoft merge would have helped speed it along.

Reactions: sturla2409

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
It's been years now. It's either going to happen very soon or its not going to happen at all. I had hoped that the Microsoft merge would have helped speed it along.

I've read that modding Win10/PE/Consoles will most likely be the next target after Win10/PE/Console versions are all brought to parity with Vanilla Java MC. By that time it may possibly accomplished with the mythical API we've been hearing about from Mojang for years, developed for both languages.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
You have a point with libraries. I'm not at all familiar with them, so I don't know how a reasonably-well-designed game would use them or how difficult they would be to decompile, modify, and replace.

In any case, I think we all know Mojang's stance on an actual modding API. How many years have they been promising to create one?
It depends on what you use to make it. For things like .Net, which compile into things like DLLs and EXEs, its trivially easy unless you use obfuscation. For fully-compiled languages like straight C++ (I don't know about Qt C++, I've heard it has some form of reflection, but I've not read up on it), such a thing would be exceedingly difficult. However, chances are, that if the hypothetical Minecraft were made in straight C++, then there'd be facilities to at least script your own content, even if proper tools were made unavailable. Again, it has a lot to do with things like compilation time (something like Minecraft would take a very long time to compile w/o scripting) and the ease with which the original authors can add content. That's something my C++ books drilled into my head from the very beginning: the more complex your project becomes, the more time and resources it'll take to maintain. Its why a lot of games use things like Lua, custom scripting languages, QML, and the like. In the long run, it makes things much, much easier to maintain.

S

SteelxCityxPro

I'm currently playing the direwolf20 mod pack from the curse/ftb launcher and I've been following the youtuber direwolf20's LP. I've made it up until botania and when I used a similar set up to his but for some reason my alter isn't getting power from my mana spreaders. This is how I have things binded 5 endo flames --> mana spreader (yes all have green check marks saying their binded) mana spreader --> mana pool (Which is currently full with mana) mana pool---> mana spreader and lastly mana spreader --> runic alter the second mana spreader's internal buffer is full with mana but it's not transferring mana to the runic alter. Is this a known bug or am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated I would hate to have to ditch this world because I can't progress.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'm currently playing the direwolf20 mod pack from the curse/ftb launcher and I've been following the youtuber direwolf20's LP. I've made it up until botania and when I used a similar set up to his but for some reason my alter isn't getting power from my mana spreaders. This is how I have things binded 5 endo flames --> mana spreader (yes all have green check marks saying their binded) mana spreader --> mana pool (Which is currently full with mana) mana pool---> mana spreader and lastly mana spreader --> runic alter the second mana spreader's internal buffer is full with mana but it's not transferring mana to the runic alter. Is this a known bug or am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated I would hate to have to ditch this world because I can't progress.
Is the last mana spreader aimed directly at the Runic Altar? If it's not, you can reorient it by taking your Wand of the Forest, shift-clicking it on air until it's in Bind Mode, then shift-clicking on the Spreader, and finally shift-clicking on the Altar.

Also note that mana spreaders will not fire through solid blocks without the help of a Phantom (or Warp) Lens. If there's anything in the way, remove it.

S

SteelxCityxPro

Is the last mana spreader aimed directly at the Runic Altar? If it's not, you can reorient it by taking your Wand of the Forest, shift-clicking it on air until it's in Bind Mode, then shift-clicking on the Spreader, and finally shift-clicking on the Altar.

Also note that mana spreaders will not fire through solid blocks without the help of a Phantom (or Warp) Lens. If there's anything in the way, remove it.

Ya there are no blocks in between any of the items I even have the endo flames behind the first mana spreader and the second mana spreader is binded to the runic alter it says so on the window that pops up when I mouse over it. I would send a picture but I'm new to computer gaming and don't kno how to access the screenshot file through curse

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Ya there are no blocks in between any of the items I even have the endo flames behind the first mana spreader and the second mana spreader is binded to the runic alter it says so on the window that pops up when I mouse over it
Have you tried actually crafting something? The altar and any spreaders powering it will not kick into action unless you've already put in items forming a valid recipe.

S

SteelxCityxPro

Well..... No I feel like a total idiot I swear last nite I put in the same recipe for runes of air following direwolfs LP and it didn't work but it just took the recipe thx for the help

S

SteelxCityxPro

So is that how it works then the runic alter only pulls mana when working on a recipe it doesn't have an internal buffer or some type of internal storage?

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
You could point more spreaders at the altar if you want the mana requirement to build faster, or possibly use sparks (never tried a spark on an altar myself). Even with a single spreader, though, it only takes a few seconds.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You could point more spreaders at the altar if you want the mana requirement to build faster, or possibly use sparks (never tried a spark on an altar myself). Even with a single spreader, though, it only takes a few seconds.
Sparks don't work, but multiple spreaders do. Found that 2x Elven spreaders is quite decent speed.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I really need to actually get into Botania... >.> If nothing else, the agricarnations would be handy for my farms since I tend to run them small, but highly-accelerated, so I can pack more stuff into less space, but still get good yield.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Black lotuses and overgrowth seeds are two things I know are blacklisted from the Loonium. Usually the main thing i'm using it for are things like division sigils. (But i usually get a nice amount of iridium and other misc. stuff as a sideproduct waiting for the things I am using it for.)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Black lotuses and overgrowth seeds are two things I know are blacklisted from the Loonium. Usually the main thing i'm using it for are things like division sigils. (But i usually get a nice amount of iridium and other misc. stuff as a sideproduct waiting for the things I am using it for.)
i'd probably use it to get rftools dimlets. Maybe.

I have a wither grinder with division sigils routed directly to the trash heh.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Enderman farm with cursed earth in the end will get you far more dimlets and wont cost you anything to run depending on how you kill them. The Loonium is nice but is just costs a lot of mana to run, i usually make one fairly early on to get a division sigil and stop it after.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Enderman farm with cursed earth in the end will get you far more dimlets and wont cost you anything to run depending on how you kill them. The Loonium is nice but is just costs a lot of mana to run, i usually make one fairly early on to get a division sigil and stop it after.
Yeah I'm doing that atm. I'm thinking I *might* be able to get a stable loonium setup running earlier than a decent enderman farm in a given new game. Maybe.