Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Anti-virus may see minecraft as using way too many resources, or a firewall perhaps.
I talk as if I know what I'm doing...
Or the AV may scan every file every time it is accessed. So every chunk file gets scanned before you open it... depending on the AV software and the settings.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Stupid AE2 question:

What's the start point for my ME network?

I gather the ME controller is no longer the core of all things, but neither my ME drive nor my ME terminal (nice flatscreen thingy now <3) will connect to my power supply directly...

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Stupid AE2 question:

I gather the ME controller is no longer the core of all things, but neither my ME drive nor my ME terminal (nice flatscreen thingy now <3) will connect to my power supply directly...

You power the me system though an energy acceptor, or a vibration chamber(?, not used this but it essentially burns furnace fuel for ae power).

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Why would disabling the antivirus affect the game?

The antivirus software is constantly scanning the logintimes.dat file as chickenchunks is updating it. Depending on your AV software it may lock the file at the same time chickenchunks is updating the file. This causes the crash. I don't recommend disabling your AV software though. Instead go into the software and add your minecraft/FTB folders to the exception list so that the AV software doesn't scan them anymore.

Reactions: L0neGamer

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
If you are on windows, you should be able to just right click on the antivirus icon in your tray at the bottom right and click "Disable" or something along those lines.
I'm sorry, just went back to your comment, were you saying to install FastCraft, or turn off the anti virus when playing with it? Because I've had FastCraft for a while now. Just started to get those kinds of crashes today.

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
The antivirus software is constantly scanning the logintimes.dat file as chickenchunks is updating it. Depending on your AV software it may lock the file at the same time chickenchunks is updating the file. This causes the crash. I don't recommend disabling your AV software though. Instead go into the software and add your minecraft/FTB folders to the exception list so that the AV software doesn't scan them anymore.
I will try this. Hopefully it works

efr44738

Jul 29, 2019
Stupid AE2 question:

There is still a controller that will accept power, but that is generally thought of as wasting precious channels.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Stupid AE2 question:

The ME Controller is still the core of your network, at least if you want to use more than 8 channels. Any ME blocks that interact with items in the network, like chests, drives, buses, and terminals, and tunnels, require a channel. Blocks that only use (or produce) power, like the crystal growth accelerators, the charger, the imprinter thing, and the Energy Acceptor and Vibration Chamber don't. So, without a Controller, you can have a terminal, an import bus, six drives, and any number of imprinters, chargers, and the like with no trouble. However, as soon as you add that seventh Drive or another bus, the whole network just dies.

To fix it, add in a Controller. Each channel-using device now only needs to connect its channel to any face of the Controller. However, keep in mind that most cable types (and blocks that connect to cables, which act like cables themselves) can only carry eight channels, and dense cable can only carry 32. If you put nine Drives in a line connected at one end, the one at the end won't function, but the other eight will.

Also, keep in mind that the Controller is a multiblock, and can be expanded as necessary to open up more faces to connect things to.

There are several different ways to manage your channels, which Algorithm himself explains in detail here. It's worth a watch, if you're at all interested in AE2.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
After seeing the new tinkers' Construct crossbow and Longbow, I decided to play with the shortbow until updates start coming out. I know that normally the sharpness would go on the arrows and speed on the bow, but the bow itself has a +x damage value. Does putting quartz on the bow increase its damage? If so, then does it stack with the quartz on the arrows?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
After seeing the new tinkers' Construct crossbow and Longbow, I decided to play with the shortbow until updates start coming out. I know that normally the sharpness would go on the arrows and speed on the bow, but the bow itself has a +x damage value. Does putting quartz on the bow increase its damage? If so, then does it stack with the quartz on the arrows?
IIRC applying quartz to the bow only increases its damage when you use it as a melee weapon
That's probaby not what you intend :D

Reactions: darkeshrine

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
That damage value on the bow only applies when you use it as a melee weapon (i.e. swing the bow at a mob as if it were a sword). With enough quartz, you could theoretically get some decent damage out of it making it a dual use weapon, but it'll never be as good as a sword, and you'll miss out on the awesome draw speed redstone will give you.

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
Stupid AE2 question
You need a controller to have the growth accelerators to work right? Because that'd be really annoying seeing as you need to wait for such a long time if you do.

Reactions: Chaka

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
That damage value on the bow only applies when you use it as a melee weapon (i.e. swing the bow at a mob as if it were a sword). With enough quartz, you could theoretically get some decent damage out of it making it a dual use weapon, but it'll never be as good as a sword, and you'll miss out on the awesome draw speed redstone will give you.

Direwolf used Redstone (for haste) to great effect on his longbow... Got it down to 0.25 seconds to draw and fire. I think the time is closed to 2.5 seconds without enhancement.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Stupid AE2 question
You need a controller to have the growth accelerators to work right? Because that'd be really annoying seeing as you need to wait for such a long time if you do.

You don't need a controller. You do need the block that receives energy and basic ME cabling of some type. That way power to the accelerators can be delivered through the ME cable.

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf used Redstone (for haste) to great effect on his longbow... Got it down to 0.25 seconds to draw and fire. I think the time is closed to 2.5 seconds without enhancement.
Exactly my point... I think he even had room for another modifier. He did the diamond/gold block and the nether star to add 2, but there should be a third with a notch apple and diamond block or I believe.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
With Tinkers' Construct, does looting go on the bow or the arrows?
I think it's the bow, as AFAIK looting is based on the item that you are holding when the mob dies, so in theory you could swap from your bow to your looting sword while the arrow is in the air. I think someone mentioned this on a recent ForgeCraft video. I'm not 100% sure of this information though.

ywyak

Jul 29, 2019
i apologies if my post are not meant here: but i'd like to ask question :
If anyone expert on Extrautility; has the duping of Drum and fluid transposer been fixed in 1.7? if so, please do provide me a link