Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Certainly here, there were some major issues with spam posts for a long time, though those really seem to have tailed off. Those of us invested in the Forum Games are still having a great time with it though. But as Pad said, Discord seems to be a popular place - I'm using it a lot at the moment as well. People who accidentally ask about a 3rd party pack in the FTB pacls bit here tend to basically be told "go ask somewhere else", which - while technically correct - is not exactly welcoming or friendly.

This. There used to be that whole section for third-party packs, listings for such. Then the Curse/Twitch launcher came up, and all of a sudden, *poof*. You still get some occasional poking in threads like Regrowth, but - otherwise, dead.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Forum Addict
Jan 29, 2015
That and the forum games threads - they're still going ;)

How are we feeling about the state of modded Minecraft? In particular it's stability? It feels to me like 1.12 is another plateau - which is a very good thing. If folks stick with it, it'll have time to continue to grow a good base of mature mods. The big stumbling block to me seems to be the RAM requirements - 1.10+ just seems to really suck up that RAM.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That and the forum games threads - they're still going ;)

How are we feeling about the state of modded Minecraft? In particular it's stability? It feels to me like 1.12 is another plateau - which is a very good thing. If folks stick with it, it'll have time to continue to grow a good base of mature mods. The big stumbling block to me seems to be the RAM requirements - 1.10+ just seems to really suck up that RAM.
My most recent 1.12-based server has been by far the most stable minecraft server I've ever run. Some of this is learning the tricks of the trade over time, but a lot of it comes form 1.12 itself being just about as stable as it's ever been (or at least as far as I've seen). It does look like we have a plateau here.

I mostly have jsut been running the classic mods, the mod set that at this point I'd consider "vanilla" modded. Your openblocks, exu2, AA, enderio type mods and I'm here to say that ALL of these are running their best versions on 1.12 right now. I don't know that it's possible to top 1.7.10 on the all-time best eras (largely due to nostalgia glasses, you just can't complete), but 1.12 is easily the second highest peak on Modded Minecraft Mountain and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it remains the primary platform for quite some time. As more and more of the original mod authors move on to other projects/in life, I can't see them constantly rewriting everything forever. Any future Microsoft-based updates really just aren't important enough to uproot everything, IMO.

GamerwithnoGame

Forum Addict
Jan 29, 2015
My most recent 1.12-based server has been by far the most stable minecraft server I've ever run. Some of this is learning the tricks of the trade over time, but a lot of it comes form 1.12 itself being just about as stable as it's ever been (or at least as far as I've seen). It does look like we have a plateau here.

I mostly have jsut been running the classic mods, the mod set that at this point I'd consider "vanilla" modded. Your openblocks, exu2, AA, enderio type mods and I'm here to say that ALL of these are running their best versions on 1.12 right now. I don't know that it's possible to top 1.7.10 on the all-time best eras (largely due to nostalgia glasses, you just can't complete), but 1.12 is easily the second highest peak on Modded Minecraft Mountain and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it remains the primary platform for quite some time. As more and more of the original mod authors move on to other projects/in life, I can't see them constantly rewriting everything forever. Any future Microsoft-based updates really just aren't important enough to uproot everything, IMO.
I'm totally with you on this :)

Reactions: Drbretto

Sage of Souls

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question regarding Mystcraft. Mystcraft has the tendency to keep going up in count when creating new ages. Now, I know it's possible to mark ages as "dead" for deletion and overwriting, but is it possible to move ages that I don't want to delete down in the list? For example, my Mining World is Age 8. What if I want to move this to Age 3; is it possible? I read somewhere that you should just be able to rename the folder and the .dat file to the new number, but when I tried this, my server would crash and restart without generating a crash log. Did I miss a step or do something wrong?

Heineken

Jul 29, 2019
What are tools and blocks anyone recommends to start grinding when starting a new world on FTB Revelations?
Like for Energy and making tools

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Back again!

I did ask about this on the discord, but I'll cross post here to a different audience as I'm yet to see an answer. I'm playing the Infinity Evolved pack and am about to step up my RF production, I already have a Big Reactor and a single turbine pumping out about 23k RF/t, but am going to set up 4 max size turbines now so need a high volume of steam from a reactor.

Basically my question is this, I'm using Gelid Cryotheum in the reactor currently, as I was using it to output power directly. When using it to make steam though, it makes little sense to be 'cooling' it internally with the Cryotheum, so is there a better material to fill it with for steam production. Am I just overthinking this and its still the right material for optimum steam output?

Thanks in advance.

GamerwithnoGame

Forum Addict
Jan 29, 2015
Back again!

I did ask about this on the discord, but I'll cross post here to a different audience as I'm yet to see an answer. I'm playing the Infinity Evolved pack and am about to step up my RF production, I already have a Big Reactor and a single turbine pumping out about 23k RF/t, but am going to set up 4 max size turbines now so need a high volume of steam from a reactor.

Basically my question is this, I'm using Gelid Cryotheum in the reactor currently, as I was using it to output power directly. When using it to make steam though, it makes little sense to be 'cooling' it internally with the Cryotheum, so is there a better material to fill it with for steam production. Am I just overthinking this and its still the right material for optimum steam output?

Thanks in advance.
It seems like an odd situation, but if I'm remembering correctly the cryotheum and/or liquid ender is still the best solution, as its effectively "moderating" the reactor too, allowing more neutrons to be captured, or somesuch ;)

Same as you'd do normally, and then have water going into your fluid input hatches (or whatever they're called) and steam coming out and you're good. Rate of steam transfer is more of an issue than anything, in my experience, which is why I've gotten into the habit of placing the reactor output blocks adjacent to the turbine input blocks, and vice versa.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
It seems like an odd situation, but if I'm remembering correctly the cryotheum and/or liquid ender is still the best solution, as its effectively "moderating" the reactor too, allowing more neutrons to be captured, or somesuch ;)

Same as you'd do normally, and then have water going into your fluid input hatches (or whatever they're called) and steam coming out and you're good. Rate of steam transfer is more of an issue than anything, in my experience, which is why I've gotten into the habit of placing the reactor output blocks adjacent to the turbine input blocks, and vice versa.
In a game where you can cut a tree down by punching it, I'm comfortable with odd, I'll crack on with Cryotheum for now then. Yeah, I was going to build a central reactor and have the 4 turbines flanking it for better transfer (was going to build a 'cross' but my current facility doesn't have room for that...) Thanks!

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
(Few week old pic) I went for an 'Out to sea' base this time, with everything on pillars from the seabed. Was great right up until I keep running out of space for reactors/turbines to feed my MFR laser habit...

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Did anyone else notice that both of the AgSkies packs got overhauled this past week? :eek:

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Did anyone else notice that both of the AgSkies packs got overhauled this past week? :eek:
there actually was a Reddit post about it , lots of reworking apparently went into it because of various issues including a fatal hqm one from back in the day

Sage of Souls

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, but I guess I should've clarified. There are two modular force field mods. One that uses Forcicium and one that uses Fortron. The one that uses Forcicium, the current MFFS for 1.12.2, has been consistently updated, but the Fortron one, the one that I've only seen in Unleashed, which is 1.5.2, doesn't appear to have been updated since. Is there a way to go through and update the Fortron one to 1.12.2 with little programming knowledge? Or is that something I need to know Java (or JavaScript, I don't know which one Minecraft uses) in order to do?

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Thanks, but I guess I should've clarified. There are two modular force field mods. One that uses Forcicium and one that uses Fortron. The one that uses Forcicium, the current MFFS for 1.12.2, has been consistently updated, but the Fortron one, the one that I've only seen in Unleashed, which is 1.5.2, doesn't appear to have been updated since. Is there a way to go through and update the Fortron one to 1.12.2 with little programming knowledge? Or is that something I need to know Java (or JavaScript, I don't know which one Minecraft uses) in order to do?
You'd not only need to know Java, you'd also need the permission of the mod-maker, unless you're a) starting from scratch or b) they've made their code publicly available. And if this is the one you mean, it looks like it's closed source now.

Sage of Souls

Jul 29, 2019
You'd not only need to know Java, you'd also need the permission of the mod-maker, unless you're a) starting from scratch or b) they've made their code publicly available. And if this is the one you mean, it looks like it's closed source now.
Looks like I'm out of luck, then. I also hear Java's a pain in the *** to learn/write, too.

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
to top 1.7.10 on the all-time best eras
What?!?! 1.7.10 is the worst Minecraft version ever, bugged as hell. Just think about it; we needed all kind of fixer mods for both MC and for JAVA too. Maybe your nostalgia glass is broken too, like that version of MC. :D
I literally stopped playing MC because of 1.7.10. I only watched some videos when new versions come out. And I always was upset...
Only a few weeks ago, when I was really bored, started playing again (version 1.12.2).

I play modded Minecraft since beta 1.8.1(and vanilla since 1.5_01) and I think, the best MC versions are;

1.2.5 -All the (IMO) best calssic and (mostly) still updated mods are born in this era. This is and will be my all time favourite version.

1.6.4 (and 1.4.7) -Modpacks. That was the era when incredible amount modpacks, and new type of mods, modpacks are born and become popular. Incredible amount of mods. Sadly (I never will understand this stupid behaviour) most of the mod makers are delete this version of their mods, and you can't download them anywhere.
Or at least not in a place, that doesn't get money simply stealing others work and put the free downloads behind ads (like the not-that-so-long-time-ago mentioned 9minecratf and similar pages)
(Yes, Sage of Souls shame on you that you use those pages!) https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/members/sage-of-souls.157920/

1.12.2. -Currently for this version you have the most mods, and all the mods constantly getting fixes, updates.

I'm afraid of the future of modded MC too. IMO, Microsoft just made Minecraft into an annoying bloatware. They just added tremendous amount of aesthetic features, that doesn't really needed, just made the game requires more-and-more powerful computer to run it. Of course, they extended vanilla MC a lot by adding new stuff into the game. But! They modified lot of core elements how MC works that simply required the complete rewrite of mods and literally forced the user to re-learn playing Minecraft. Why they done that?
Not to mention that, what I really hate; thanks to curse (which I always consider literally a curse!) and twitch, I several time forced to made accounts in places that I never visit, never wanted to use, just to be able to download the mods. And top of that, they totally ignore my platform; Linux. FU curse and twitch!
I have to suffer and mess around with geeky-stuff on my computer just to be able to download a modpack.
If it works, no guarantee that I even able to download the pack.
So I have to download every mod and whatnot manually, one by one. And this lead to another, rather new stupidity! Now I even have to WAIT FOR 5 SEC to start to download a single mod?!? Why?
Those at curse and twitch are... hmmm... mental?

"...someone who is stupid...usually for attention...in a sporadic way...involving nonsensical references and actions..." - Urban Dictionary.
Yes, this definition really fits them....

The reasons that I originally bought Minecraft in 2011; because it worked on Linux and that it can modded in a way that you always have something new to play with. Now curse and twitch and microsoft totally ruined this...
I hope one day, they disappear from existence, and we will have something that cares equally about all the different platforms that Minecraft runs on.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
OK, so I'm scaling up my RF production again (I think I have an mfr laser habit...), according to a big reactor simulator my reactor should be able to output 29 buckets of steam per tick, best ways (other than 120 accumulators) to get to this number for water supply? I tried transfer nodes too, but they didn't seem very effective even with speed upgrades.