Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
The wand finally charged up all the way, and after replacing the thaumium-bossed wand, the altar wouldn't infuse the molecular assembler. It would seem that it requires a fully-charged thaumium-bossed silverwood scepter, despite the fact that the unofficial FTB wiki (only big wiki I know of that has an entry for the device) hints that you can use different wands or scepters for the infusion.

So I guess I have a spare ichorium wand in my survival world now. :/

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
The wand finally charged up all the way, and after replacing the thaumium-bossed wand, the altar wouldn't infuse the molecular assembler. It would seem that it requires a fully-charged thaumium-bossed silverwood scepter, despite the fact that the unofficial FTB wiki (only big wiki I know of that has an entry for the device) hints that you can use different wands or scepters for the infusion.

So I guess I have a spare ichorium wand in my survival world now. :/
Considering the number of tweaked recipes in IE:Expert, I wouldn't trust any recipes other than what's in NEI. Not to worry - you'll probably need that ichorium wand for something.

Reactions: Everlasting2

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Are you running Windows 10? It has an option in the display settings for zooming in apps, and I've had it conflict with some projection software recently. When I set it to 100%, the projection software took up only a portion of the screen instead of the whole thing, so I had to set it to 125% for the software to use the entire screen.

You can get to that by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting "Display Properties." I think the setting is about halfway down, but I'm on a computer running 8.1 right now and can't confirm.

So!

This is totally it and I can't thank you enough!

However, my windows scaling has always been at 300%. I run it on a TV 8-10 feet away at 4k, you need 300% to be able to see anything at all. It's never affected this before. In the grand scheme of things, u guess it's not that big if a deal, I can just flip it on and off. But why is it suddenly affecting minecraft?

Now that I think about it, it might have been a java update.... To Google!

Edit: I was able to find an option to disable high dpi scaling from the javaw exe, and all is right again! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I was about to have to quit playing Minecraft forever!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brotuulaan

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
So!

This is totally it and I can't thank you enough!

However, my windows scaling has always been at 300%. I run it on a TV 8-10 feet away at 4k, you need 300% to be able to see anything at all. It's never affected this before. In the grand scheme of things, u guess it's not that big if a deal, I can just flip it on and off. But why is it suddenly affecting minecraft?

Now that I think about it, it might have been a java update.... To Google!

Edit: I was able to find an option to disable high dpi scaling from the javaw exe, and all is right again! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I was about to have to quit playing Minecraft forever!
Great to hear! Makes sense there's a disable option in java for that, so it certainly could have been an update. I may in future return to ask where you found that option (who knows what future updates may bring?), so heres hoping that you're around to help me back!

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Back in Minecraft after a several year sabbatical.. Playing the Infinity Evolved pack at the moment, what is my best bet for lighting large areas? I remember there being some bloody great lamp things back in the day, but that might have been back on 1.4.7

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Back in Minecraft after a several year sabbatical.. Playing the Infinity Evolved pack at the moment, what is my best bet for lighting large areas? I remember there being some bloody great lamp things back in the day, but that might have been back on 1.4.7
I'm really partial to Managlass (no power needed! and you can also use a Saw on them to micro-block them) Carpenter's Blocks with Glowstone are a little pricier in this pack, but once you have a Sawmill, it's not so bad. The lamps from Railcraft (I think - I've got both the 'bloody' and the 'frosty' version) are a classy-looking alternative to torches. And, for lighting large 'outdoor' areas, Witchery's Glint Weed does nicely. If you put them on anything but dirt/grass, they won't spread - I just think they look weird inside. Higher end - you've got Blaze Lamps and Thaumcraft Nitor. There's a sleek looking ceiling light - I remember it used glowstone blocks in the recipe, and comes in both regular (power to turn on) and inverted (power to turn off). Word of warning, though: You will need tons of Glowstone if you want to take this pack to the end.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
I'm really partial to Managlass (no power needed! and you can also use a Saw on them to micro-block them) Carpenter's Blocks with Glowstone are a little pricier in this pack, but once you have a Sawmill, it's not so bad. The lamps from Railcraft (I think - I've got both the 'bloody' and the 'frosty' version) are a classy-looking alternative to torches. And, for lighting large 'outdoor' areas, Witchery's Glint Weed does nicely. If you put them on anything but dirt/grass, they won't spread - I just think they look weird inside. Higher end - you've got Blaze Lamps and Thaumcraft Nitor. There's a sleek looking ceiling light - I remember it used glowstone blocks in the recipe, and comes in both regular (power to turn on) and inverted (power to turn off). Word of warning, though: You will need tons of Glowstone if you want to take this pack to the end.
are u sure they are playing expert mode? they could be playing normal mode.

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
Playing Enigmatica 2 (normal) and recently had the Xs for the f7 light level become grey. I can still see the Xs, albeit faintly as they are light grey which is tricky to see on stone. Wouldn't know which is yellow and which is red. Thinking maybe I toggled something on accident or maybe something is inferring in some way? Pretty much unaltered mod pack aside from adding Fossils and Archeology, and that's never been an issue before. Concurrently, about 75% of the name plates over NPCs and mobs are grey as well. A handful are normal, like on vanilla pigs/chickens/cows...but not all of them. At first I thought it was just the Animalia creatures, but that doesn't pan out as it affects all name plates outside the vanilla animals (mobs, villagers, etc are grey.). I will go back through settings and keybindings tonight just in case, but I can't see how that would be a feature. Press N to make almost all name plates washed out grey and essentially worthless... Thoughts?

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for the reply, I did try blaze lamps and nitor, they are both pretty weak really compared to the lamps I remember using. I'm talking about lighting a roughly 50 x 200 block workshop with a ~15high block ceiling.

EDIT, The lamps I was using were Wrath Lamps, thats the sort of thing I'm looking to replicate if possible.

Last edited:

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Thanks for the reply, I did try blaze lamps and nitor, they are both pretty weak really compared to the lamps I remember using. I'm talking about lighting a roughly 50 x 200 block workshop with a ~15high block ceiling.

EDIT, The lamps I was using were Wrath Lamps, thats the sort of thing I'm looking to replicate if possible.
Did a poke into Reddit, and someone mentioned Thaumcraft's 'Arcane Lamps', which apparently cover a pretty decent area. You may also consider 'floating' your lights (Nitor doesn't require a supporting block, only a block during placement, for example.) A 15 meter ceiling in a modern warehouse would likely have suspended fluorescent lights (sawing any light-producing block gives you a multitude of aesthetic choices).

P

Pancakeisdope

I need some assistance. Im currently playing the Jurrasic-craft modpack and with the Animania mod, I can't get Vanilla Minecraft eggs.

S

Suntanned Duck2

@Pancakeisdope while I don't know much about the pack is there a recipe for Vanilla eggs at all in JEI or whatever recipe mod there is? (I checked the mod wiki for Animania and thought I'd ignore the pack's logic to see if it's possible normally and that doesn't seem to be the case). Like the ability to convert to those eggs or maybe you might need an ore dictionary converter for it (if the modpack doesn't already have one), or if there isn't say a spawn egg mod that allows for you to craft them (besides already requiring eggs usually for those).

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Did a poke into Reddit, and someone mentioned Thaumcraft's 'Arcane Lamps', which apparently cover a pretty decent area. You may also consider 'floating' your lights (Nitor doesn't require a supporting block, only a block during placement, for example.) A 15 meter ceiling in a modern warehouse would likely have suspended fluorescent lights (sawing any light-producing block gives you a multitude of aesthetic choices).
Nice one OniyaMCD, the Arcane Lamp was perfect. A few dozen of these scattered around have the building lit perfectly. I'm not sure how the secondary light source thing works with them, but it does!
(The irony is not lost, that in a high technology workshop, I had to resort to magic to light it.. lol)

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Nice one OniyaMCD, the Arcane Lamp was perfect. A few dozen of these scattered around have the building lit perfectly. I'm not sure how the secondary light source thing works with them, but it does!
(The irony is not lost, that in a high technology workshop, I had to resort to magic to light it.. lol)

'Sufficiently advanced technology,' as Arthur C. Clarke would say. ;)

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone explain how to use the pump from Industrial Foregoing in FTB Ultimate Reloaded? Without a range upgrade it works fine, draining the one block it can get, but as soon as I place a range addon it doesn't do anything.

S

Suntanned Duck2

@Redweevil What version of IF is in the pack? I'll take a look myself but it might be a bug with that version (if latest version then report it just encase) or just a conflict of some other kind of thing you have setup with the pump maybe...

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I have a very simple question, what happened to the FTB forums? It's been over a year since we had a news post, the forums are kinda buggy, and the admins kinda disappeared.

S

Suntanned Duck2

@Nuclear_Creeper0 I think it's gotten a bit infrequent for responses/questions/thread creation or less busy or people just don't have much to say/moved to other places instead like Discord. I've seen a moderator at least not the admins so people are still around. No clue really, I noticed the same with the MCForums too but it's being moved to the Curseforge forums (my spectulation due to it looking similiar to a restructuring of it going on over there) so who knows when it comes to users over admins. Maybe the admins are working on Forge 1.13.2 or something big maybe for FTB. I don't know. When it comes to news I'm not sure since I've not been here long or know where many of the regular threads are... but I have my 1.14 mod update news thread I just created a few weeks ago (a continuation from MCForums work due to the MCForums being archived I had to move it somewhere and Fabric has a place on the FTB wiki so thought I've move here) but in terms of like 'whats new in modding' or otherwise yeah they have been a bit barren or infrequent it seems. Again I'm only spectulating/assuming as I have no clue.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I have a very simple question, what happened to the FTB forums? It's been over a year since we had a news post, the forums are kinda buggy, and the admins kinda disappeared.
Even the FTB subreddit is fairly quiet, and that’s more of a general modded MC hub than these forums ever were. People seem to be hanging out in Discord since that’s an instant response.

I’ve been disconnected from everything for nearly a year, so this is just what I’ve seen in the last week. The people who have been here the whole time probably have a better idea than I do.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Forum Addict
Jan 29, 2015
Certainly here, there were some major issues with spam posts for a long time, though those really seem to have tailed off. Those of us invested in the Forum Games are still having a great time with it though. But as Pad said, Discord seems to be a popular place - I'm using it a lot at the moment as well. People who accidentally ask about a 3rd party pack in the FTB pacls bit here tend to basically be told "go ask somewhere else", which - while technically correct - is not exactly welcoming or friendly.