Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Are 64k storages worth it? Or should I get multiple 16s or something. 64s require so much quartz I dont have. @.@I only have enough to partially make a 64k. I could make 2 16ks atm.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Are 64k storages worth it? Or should I get multiple 16s or something. 64s require so much quartz I dont have. @.@I only have enough to partially make a 64k. I could make 2 16ks atm.
It depends on your setup.

If you have lots of small stacks of different types of items, a 16k should easily be sufficient. As you get more drives dedicated to certain item types (i.e. a disk pre-formatted for ingots) and you expand your automated resource gathering 64ks start being better and better.

There is a page on the AE wiki for detailed info on how much AE storage disks can hold.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
AE is NOT an early game mod. You don't want to touch it until you have a reasonably stable constant power source, and you don't want to do anything major with it until power scarcity is no longer a thing for you.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019

I start by making a few 16ks as my quartz allows (1 unformatted in a me chest, 2-5 formatted in a me drive), by the time you have enough resources to require an upgrade on your disks you should also have enough quartz to upgrade the disks :)

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
AE is NOT an early game mod. You don't want to touch it until you have a reasonably stable constant power source, and you don't want to do anything major with it until power scarcity is no longer a thing for you.

Not true. AE is one of those mods that has a spectrum of use and is not limited to "early" or "late".

The most basic setup is an ME chest hooked directly into an engine. Even a sterling engine will work. This provides you with a great, large, storage area in a relatively small space. Normally I don't take this step but that is because it is such a short time before the next one that I simply don't bother. Much like most of the "early tier" entries in other mods which have a wide spectrum of usage.

A step up from that would be a basic network (controller, drive, access point/crafting table) which can run off just a few MJ. This is my normal entry point into ME. At this point my "power network" consists of a pair of hobbyist engines and if I'm feeling froggy, actual conduits.

From there we get into cross-mod autocrafting w/buses and level emitters as well as some basic automation. Normally at this point I have a small solid fueled boiler and maybe 4 commercial engines.

The top end is when we get the autocrafter where you need a large power supply. But that is post-quarry with a beefy LP or a mid-range HP driving industrials.

The main limiting factor for AE post-1.5.x is access to the nether. Which in vanilla can be considered mid-game but in modded minecraft is actually fairly early. You can get into the nether before getting diamonds.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Well I went twilight hopping. Managed to make 5 64ks. Barely stuffed all my chests into there. Formatting be damned, I just wanted 1 chest rather then a wall of 12 golds and 1 diamond. I have too much power anyway.

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
Oceans are big, but they will have some content soon™. Overall they are underused by both Mojang (which is expected) and modders, but it is changing slowly (saphires from GT, geodes with awesome stone from RC). Most of the MC world is ocean and the only interesting thing there are AM structures (BTW they are awesome in newest update).

What are AM structures and geodes?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Railcraft adds those? Why would a mod that focuses on the vanilla minecart system need geodes? Seems a bit like adding world gen just for the sake of it (like Redpower). Those blocks just look like a RP basalt replacement.

Got nothing against a mod adding worldgen, but only if it's actually needed by something in that mod.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft adds those? Why would a mod that focuses on the vanilla minecart system need geodes? Seems a bit like adding world gen just for the sake of it (like Redpower). Those blocks just look like a RP basalt replacement.

Got nothing against a mod adding worldgen, but only if it's actually needed by something in that mod.
Boilers, saltpeter and sulfur also aren't needed. Railcraft actually added a 7 different blocks in all those variants with slabs and stairs (however I still prefer Immibis microblocks instead), 2 coming from worldgen, 2 being earlier in only small brick variant and 3 with not so cheap crafting recipes.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Those blocks just look like a RP basalt replacement.

Fun fact: that's exactly what they are. ;) There's a marble replacement too. And you can even turn them off in the config if it doesn't suit you.

Railcraft has had cosmetic blocks for a long while, including concrete, metal or wooden bridge posts (some paintable in any color you like), decorative variants of all multiblock bricks (so you can hide the gaps without ruining the multiblocks), and other such tomfoolery.

Of course, these features go into the "wait what, that exists?" category right together with Industrialcraft's magnetic elevators and paintable walls, Forestry's stained glass, TE's rockwool and many other neat or cosmetic features that nobody ever looks at because, you know, it doesn't give you free energy and bonus ore...

Reactions: glepet1962

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Of course, these features go into the "wait what, that exists?" category right together with Industrialcraft's magnetic elevators and paintable walls, Forestry's stained glass, TE's rockwool and many other neat or cosmetic features that nobody ever looks at because, you know, it doesn't give you free energy and bonus ore...
I just spent ages making 8 stacks of rockwool because I asked a friend what I should build my bee house out of and she said "black and yellow stripes", and that's the only way I could think of. Paintable walls, eh? What are those?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My railcraft usage has been limited to tanks and boilers. I was aware of the ores, just not what they were used in/for. I like the "wait what, that exists" category, if it's in theme with the mod. Geodes are a bit of a stretch of the imagination :D

Separate note, and not really FTB but is there a mod that will reduce the amount of rain you get? Last two nights of playing, almost every day/night it's been raining - getting a bit of a joke. I don't think I've had a dry 20 minute minecraft day/night cycle for a long time now.

Also, is there a mod that will give falling sand/gravel physics to water source blocks, lava source blocks and plain old dirt?

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Separate note, and not really FTB but is there a mod that will reduce the amount of rain you get? Last two nights of playing, almost every day/night it's been raining - getting a bit of a joke. I don't think I've had a dry 20 minute minecraft day/night cycle for a long time now.

I assume you're on single player because you have the power to add mods, so ./toggledownfall
You could even set up a command block looper thing to do that...
Or use a Disserpation (misspelt) Capsule in a Rainmaker if you don't want to cheat

Also, is there a mod that will give falling sand/gravel physics to water source blocks, lava source blocks and plain old dirt?

The dirt shouldn't be too hard to code yourself even, TFC does it quite nicely but it's less a mod and more a complete overhaul.
As for water and lava, due to how they work with flowing liquids it would be quite difficult to code (although Sethbling has proven it possible using custom spawners and stuff, but it's glitchy as hell and the liquids don't flow any more when they land)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What about that energised glowstone? That's a liquid that falls upward and spreads, so it's possible to have a falling liquid source block.