Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
If the boiler is fully heat up, and that you indeed kill them right as they spawn (so max spawn rate for the spawner), them you might be able to keep your boiler heat up.

The problem being that for way less work, a 1 chunk tree farm can also do that, be it with mfr or railcraft.

Blaze rods used to be really good for boilers, but now they are just not worth the trouble. Look at the heat value for them, and compare it to planks, charcoal, or any other readily available solid fuel sources, and you will notice that it's been nerfed so hard that even your T5 will have trouble keeping up.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So if i got that right then, with a more practical example of what im planning to build in my world. If i have a MRF DSU filled with wood from my treefarm, and no wood anywhere else in my system. If i program the storage bus to contain wood and i pull a stack of wood out of the terminal, craft some things, and trow half a stack back. Then that half stack of wood will end up back in the DSU instead of the regulair disks.. Right? Because that i never managed to figure out and always used export busses to keep my items in DSU's after using it to craft
That should work. You might need to mess with the settings in the DSU GUI (about which side things go in and out), but storage busses seem to have some "sneaky" behavior, so it might not be a problem.

I would first try setting the DSU to allow items out from the side facing the storage bus, and to allow items in on at least one of the other sides. You might want to try the top or the side facing away from the storage bus first, as (if I'm not mistaken) barrels work when the storage bus is on the bottom (items go in the top and out the bottom of barrels).

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
That should work. You might need to mess with the settings in the DSU GUI (about which side things go in and out), but storage busses seem to have some "sneaky" behavior, so it might not be a problem.

I would first try setting the DSU to allow items out from the side facing the storage bus, and to allow items in on at least one of the other sides. You might want to try the top or the side facing away from the storage bus first, as (if I'm not mistaken) barrels work when the storage bus is on the bottom (items go in the top and out the bottom of barrels).

I will try that out when i get home then. A other question also about storage bus's. Someone mentioned somewhere that if you preformat disks with a material, and put a storage bus on a incinerator with the same materials programmed on it. That the disk will first fill up and all other items will then process to the incinerator altough the incinerator doesn;t acually contain any items. Naturally all other disks need to be empty of that material but would that work since the incinerator doesn;t have that material inside it, or is a acually inventory to begin with.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
I will try that out when i get home then. A other question also about storage bus's. Someone mentioned somewhere that if you preformat disks with a material, and put a storage bus on a incinerator with the same materials programmed on it. That the disk will first fill up and all other items will then process to the incinerator altough the incinerator doesn;t acually contain any items. Naturally all other disks need to be empty of that material but would that work since the incinerator doesn;t have that material inside it, or is a acually inventory to begin with.

I'm using this, currently only for my cobble and dirt, and it works perfect, keeps 8128 blocks (a full 1k storage) in my me network and anything else goes to the incinerator. It acts as an inventory (as far as the game is concerned) as pipes connect to it etc, it just doesn't need a player accessible inventory as anything entering it is immediately annihilated.

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using this, currently only for my cobble and dirt, and it works perfect, keeps 8128 blocks (a full 1k storage) in my me network and anything else goes to the incinerator. It acts as an inventory (as far as the game is concerned) as pipes connect to it etc, it just doesn't need a player accessible inventory as anything entering it is immediately annihilated.

Awsome, that will replace my export bus+level emitter per item then. Thank you both for the answers. There very usefull indeed.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Storage buses don't need any configuring -- i'm not sure they even have a config panel. They simply attach whatever they are pointing at to your network. When you drop Logs (or whatever items) into your network, the AE system looks at Preformatted disks first (which you can also set priority on), then it looks for any currently stored Logs in the network and just adds the new Logs to those already in the network wherever they are (including non-AE storage attached via Storage Bus).

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Storage buses don't need any configuring -- i'm not sure they even have a config panel. They simply attach whatever they are pointing at to your network. When you drop Logs (or whatever items) into your network, the AE system looks at Preformatted disks first (which you can also set priority on), then it looks for any currently stored Logs in the network and just adds the new Logs to those already in the network wherever they are (including non-AE storage attached via Storage Bus).
Yes, Storage Buses do have a GUI. You can configure them to only accept certain items. What if you run out of logs? When you get more, they might not end up going to the right inventory unless you configure the storage bus to only accept logs.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, Storage Buses do have a GUI. You can configure them to only accept certain items. What if you run out of logs? When you get more, they might not end up going to the right inventory unless you configure the storage bus to only accept logs.
Ah ok, i just never use them like that. My storage buses are attached to deep storage, which receive items via tubes or BC pipes or other outside sources rather than routing thousands of items per day through the AE network just to put them back in deep storage+bus.

A little more detail for KyoNeko on AE storage priority:
You can Shift+Right click with a BC Compatible Wrench on ME Chest, ME Drive or ME Storage Bus to configure that storage's Priority Level. Higher Priorities are more imporant then lower ones, by default all storages are set to 1.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Bee question!

Just starting out with bees, and now have cultivated bees starting to appear (just trying to get them to a pure status at the moment). I'm happy at that as that sounds good :D Now, without going into spoilers, how do I advance them next? Just keep cross breeding them with earlier strains of bees. Wouldn't that cause the quality to degrade?
I don't want to know what I could get from the breeding, as that would spoil the surprise.

In a nutshell, what should I do with the cultivated bees next?

Currently I have the following strains of bee: Marble, Forest, Meadow, Rock, Marshy and Water (can't breed the water bees, haven't found any lillypads!)

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Bee question!

Just starting out with bees, and now have cultivated bees starting to appear (just trying to get them to a pure status at the moment). I'm happy at that as that sounds good :D Now, without going into spoilers, how do I advance them next? Just keep cross breeding them with earlier strains of bees. Wouldn't that cause the quality to degrade?
I don't want to know what I could get from the breeding, as that would spoil the surprise.

Currently I have the following strains of bee: Marble, Forest, Meadow, Rock, Marshy and Water (can't breed the water bees, haven't found any lillypads!)
I don't know much of bees, but I think generikB just did this in his BEEcademy series on youtube. You should look it up.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Bee question!

Without spoilers it's a bit tricky, the bees you list on the last part of your post are all mundane bees (from hives in the world), the cultivated is the second bred bee you have, you must have already seen common (or not noticed it on your path to cultivated). Go for pure cultivated and pure common... then see if they give you something new ;)

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question; Is there anything that can give server-specific skins? I like to role-play between my different servers, and thus have different skins for each. It's helpful for machinima too.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Well, come 1.5.x, CoFH Core (the base environment for Thermal Expansion) lets you change skins via an ingame chat command. It's not quite automatic switching, but it's a hell of a lot faster than going through the Minecraft website everytime.

...also it can do HD skins ;)

Reactions: Jess887cp

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
I would suspect some problem with a farm trying to build and screwing up the one above it, but those farms are a bit buggy now that they're no longer maintained. It sucks to have a build go obsolete, but if the problem is really bugging you I'd just dump the whole system and move to a farming method that will still be compatible if you ever want to update your world. An MFR-based system is functionally pretty darn similar to those old forestry farms, so I'd recommend looking into that.
Never dealt with mfr farm, I have tried the new multifarm from forestry and it won't allow me to put wheat on all 4 sides in a managed farm so I didn't wanna use that. I went ahead and took 2 farms off the tower so it has 5 total and this fixed the issue, idk why it did as I would think since I have the farms in a straight line vertical if one was affecting another it would be on every row but I guess not. But o well, currently I have 20 fermenters and stills and the wheat production is keeping up with the compost needs so we shall see how this goes when I expand my biofuel production when I add biogens

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I was watching forgecraft and one of the folk there mentioned a setting to "fix lava".
Does anybody remember what mod they said could do it, and what the setting was?
I suspect they said NEI, but I'm not sure.
More importantly, does the fix date back far enough to be in the current version of "ftb light"?
I know some of the pumps, like the advanced one from GT, pump without block updates or something similar.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Without spoilers it's a bit tricky, the bees you list on the last part of your post are all mundane bees (from hives in the world), the cultivated is the second bred bee you have, you must have already seen common (or not noticed it on your path to cultivated). Go for pure cultivated and pure common... then see if they give you something new ;)
I've had some common drones, but skipped them for the cultivated. At least that gives me something to aim for, for a few generations and a bit of luck at least.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I've had some common drones, but skipped them for the cultivated. At least that gives me something to aim for, for a few generations and a bit of luck at least.
Always try to purify a new species and keep 10+ drones somewhere, so that you can always set a random princess to that species.
To get an overview of how many possible mutations a bee has, you can craft an Apiarist Database (from Extra Bees). This will show you in the mutation tabs the number of available mutations. As long as you didn't have a mutation happen, only gray bees will be shown (so no hint who can mate with whom), but after a success, the mutation information will be lifted. This way you can check, if you have found all possible mutations already.
Without going into specifics: 5 species (if I didn't miscount) need a certain environment to be bred, so if you stay at a beach you cannot get all possible species.
You listed six hive bees in your previous post. You can find another six species in the wild (and one in dungeon chests), the rest is only by breeding. You have to search very different biomes to find all six.[DOUBLEPOST=1368641949][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm asking about a config file setting that alters the behavior of flowing lava so it updates properly.
CodeChickenCore.cfg:
#Set to false to make lava fade away like water if all the source blocks are destroyed
persistantLava=false

(normally this is set to true)

Reactions: ICountFrom0

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I only found out about this thanks to Lathanael, we currently play on the same server. I also find the setting "environmentallyFriendlyCreepers=true" really funny named :)

Reactions: ICountFrom0