All Becomes Grey [SIGNUP AND OOC THREAD] [ROLEPLAY] [POSSIBLE MATURE CONTENT]

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
By the way, I've decided to move a point from Linessa's Magic Defense into Magic Skill. I feel like it needed a boost.

I'll update the rolesheet (version 2) momentarily.

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Anything I missed? Feedback? Questions? Outright dumb character?:

Name: Erildus Oritun
Magiks: Fire
Appearance (picture or description): Human wearing a sort of clockwork device powered by a fire elemental that can shoot fire a short distance. Also wearing dark blue leather armor.
Personality: Sometimes hostile to others, but he always keeps a coin handy for children on the street. He hates the cold and any form of magic that revolves around it.
Backstory (You've always lived in Pert):

Erildus grew up in the center of Pert as an orphan. His parents died earlier than his memory, fighting to protect him. Typically a smaller child, Erildus was never left alone by the other orphans (of which there were many), so he often found himself alone, tinkering with small clockwork mechanisms. Around ten years old, Erildus discovered that he could manipulate fire to his liking. He used this to help fight off the hostile creatures that attacked the village almost everyday. During the down time he used his skill with small contraptions to set traps for enemies, before discovering that a device that makes a big display of flame is far more scary and effective. With this in mind, he trapped a small fire elemental in a cage built to be fire resistant, and channels its energy into a more projectile form of flame, creating the one of a kind Inferno Device. During one of the many fights, he lost his best friend Merdia to an ice spike in the chest. As she died in his arms, he swore to hunt down her killer, but has so far been unable to find him. Ever since, he has always hated cold magic, and has never been quite the same.

Equipment: Leather armor, Inferno Device (flamethrower), and a Clockwork Saber (simple looking longsword with some hidden clockwork features, such as a flip out second blade and timekeeping and navigation device). Also carries some equipment to make some simple traps.

Stats
Health: 4
Armour: 5
Agility: 3
Strength: 5
Accuracy: 3
Magical skill: 3
Magical defense: 2

Magical abilities (Italics represent spells/activated abilities, Bold represents a passive power):
Flame Dart: Shoots a dart of fire at an enemy. Rolls Magical Skill against Magical Defense
Wall of Conflagration: Creates a wall of fire approximately 10 feet high, with a length of up to 60 feet. 2 turn cooldown. Burns anyone who crosses, but doesn't prove a physical barrier.
Blaze Armor: Gains +2 Bonus to Armour or Magical Defense, decided upon casting. 2 turn? cooldown, lasts for 3 turns? Flammables that make contact while the spell is active (but nothing on his person) may catch fire. (Feedback on this?)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Wall of Conflagration: Creates a wall of fire approximately 10 feet high, with a length of up to 60 feet. 2 turn cooldown. Burns anyone who crosses, but doesn't prove a physical barrier.
Distance is not a thing in this combat system. Every character can easily walk around the wall and attack in the same turn. Maybe have it react to (enemy) actions in general (thus attacking, using abilities on others of their team/your team)
Blaze Armor: Gains +2 Bonus to Armour or Magical Defense, decided upon casting. 2 turn? cooldown, lasts for 3 turns? Flammables that make contact while the spell is active (but nothing on his person) may catch fire. (Feedback on this?)
I don't think that the flamables that make contact part will help you (even if flammables =everything) I believe that pretty much every character in the rp is currently technically ranged (though there is no diffrence in ranged/mellee attacks in the rp as well). I think you should just make it do something when you are attacked if you want that part to be relevant.

It may also be a good idea to drop a link to your post in the discord, that way you have a better chance people will see it as not everyone is often on the forum

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
@erindalc in the back story you say "he was never left alone" then you say "so he often found himself alone", that doesn't sound right.
I think he meant that other orphans weren't exactly nice to him (read he was getting bullied by them) when they saw him, thus he tried to avoid them as good as possible thus ended up being often alone. Though, I might be totally wrong about that and it may just be a derp.

Reactions: erindalc

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
"Typically a smaller child, Erildus was never left alone by the other orphans (of which there were many), so he often found himself alone, tinkering with small clockwork mechanisms"

Erildus was never left alone, so he often found himself alone...wut? EDIT: DAMNIT KC

"Flammables that make contact while the spell is active (but nothing on his person) may catch fire."

I struggle to see how this could be implemented in the combat system just FYI. As a bit of flavour there's nothing wrong with it, just in case you were expecting it to do something.

"he lost his best friend Merdia to an ice spike in the chest"

More of a pet peeve here, but who is Merdia? Why did they get on so well? How did they meet? For their death to have such a lasting impact on poor ol' Erildus, I kinda feel like she deserves a little more screentime, a bit more appreciation into why she was so important to him. This is more a stylistic point than an issue though, so feel free to ignore it should you wish.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
OOh.

Also one other thing I missed. Your flame dart ability is going to be very situational. Unless your opponent has incredibly high armour or incredibly low magic defense, then you'll be better off just punching them.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
So...I am really the only one where the sentence "Erildus was never left alone by the other orphans (of which there were many), so he often found himself alone" made sense to?

Not sure what that tells about me, or my main language. I doubt it is good though then again we already knew that my brain was weird to say the least :p

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Some answers: That combustible thing is just a bit of flavor. I fixed my inability to write correctly (in a couple places, and gave Merdia more of a story. Made the wall of fire shapeable, so he could surround himself with the wall to prevent people from getting to him. @lenscas You're correct, but I've changed it so it sounds better. I've also updated my Appearance and Personality to reflect some of the changes)

Name: Erildus Oritun
Magiks: Fire
Appearance (picture or description): Human wearing a sort of clockwork device powered by a fire elemental that can shoot fire a short distance. Also wearing dark blue leather armor, and has a sword at his waist. He wears a necklace with a small, purple gem heart.
Personality: Can be hostile, usually sees the worse of people, and is typically a loner. He always keeps a coin handy for children on the street. He hates the cold and any form of magic that revolves around it.
Backstory (You've always lived in Pert):

Erildus grew up in the center of Pert as an orphan. His parents died earlier than his memory, fighting to protect him. Typically a smaller child, Erildus was always harassed by the other orphans (of which there were many), and made few friends. When alone, he tinkered with small clockwork mechanisms, which interested him greatly. Around ten years old, Erildus discovered that he could manipulate fire to his liking. He initially hid his discovery, telling only his close friend (and fellow orphan) Merdia. She encouraged him to use his power to help the settlement defend against the constant attacks by hostile creatures. As she was already nearly old enough to fight (She was older, almost 14 (age of leaving the orphanage) at the time), she promised to get him out of the control of the orphanage once she was old enough. Once that happened, Erlidus was free to fight and do as he wanted. During the down time he used his skill with small contraptions to set traps for enemies, before discovering that a device that makes a big display of flame is far more scary and effective. With this in mind, he trapped a small fire elemental in a cage built to be fire resistant, and channels its energy into a more projectile form of flame, creating the one of a kind Inferno Device. After several years of fighting, Merdia was killed, by an ice spike in the chest. As she died in his arms, he swore to hunt down her killer, but has so far been unable to find him. Ever since, he has always hated cold magic, and wears her necklace.

Equipment: Leather armor, the Inferno Device (flamethrower), a Clockwork Saber (simple looking longsword with some hidden clockwork features, such as a flip out second blade and timekeeping and navigation device), and Merdia's necklace (No special effects). Also carries some equipment to make some simple traps.

Stats
Health: 4
Armour: 5
Agility: 3
Strength: 5
Accuracy: 3
Magical skill: 3
Magical defense: 2

Magical abilities (Italics represent spells/activated abilities, Bold represents a passive power):
Flame Dart: Shoots a dart of fire at an enemy. Rolls Magical Skill against Magical Defense. Bypasses armor but does little damage, unless the armor is specifically designed against fire. (Not sure if this is better @RJS ?)
Wall of Conflagration: Creates a wall of fire approximately 10 feet high, with a length of up to 60 feet, in any shape. 2 turn cooldown. Burns anyone who crosses, but doesn't prove a physical barrier.
Blaze Armor: Gains +2 Bonus to Armour or Magical Defense, decided upon casting. 2 turn? cooldown, lasts for 3 turns? Flammables that make contact while the spell is active (but nothing on his person) may catch fire. (Feedback on this?)\\

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
The point about the fire dart was more for your information tbh. It's a consequence of your stats rather than a failing of the ability.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
@erindalc how did your character get the fire elemental?

He captured it with Merdia's help, since no human summoners exist apparently. An Ork or Daemon summoned it and either died or lost control of it. I could toss that in there.

The point about the fire dart was more for your information tbh. It's a consequence of your stats rather than a failing of the ability.

Ah. Maybe I'll change his stats. Maybe his armor doesn't need to be that high.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So...I am really the only one where the sentence "Erildus was never left alone by the other orphans (of which there were many), so he often found himself alone" made sense to?

Not sure what that tells about me, or my main language. I doubt it is good though then again we already knew that my brain was weird to say the least :p
It made sense to me, and I'm a native English speaker. I interpreted it the same way you did.
*shrug*

Reactions: goreae