Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
This is what I ended up making for magical spawns. I found a magical forest biome, outlined it, then filled it in. Got pechs soon enough to trade with to get my greatwood and silverwood saplings. Later, when looking for angry zombies, I ended up expanding it out (grass/bone brick area) into a Jungle biome. Also spawns ocelots then too, whee! But once I expanded out, plus removed all light, I've had both pechs and angry zombies spawning with regularity at night. Other stuff too obviously, but I just ignore or kill it all.
Agreed. Did some tests myself, with the available illumination options.

Night
Day
As the road lights have an obvious yellow "lamp" in them, they might be good options too. I agree that the Illuminators are hard to tell apart, especially with different colors. But with one color (redstone lamps/road) you don't get the pretty effect like with the Neon lamps. Just put the cable to the side, not behind, as otherwise you can see it through the lamp. They won't be hard to get to, once you let the fishing nets run for a while. Just make some plastic using the ethanol recipie, and there ya go.

Can't see the bottom of his, but here's the bottom of mine. Not symmetrical due to how heads can be placed on a "wall", as I started the front too far back, I couldn't add the 2 more rows without redoing it all. I was able to craft all the staff cores (thinking I needed the staff cores for the primal staff, not realizing it's merely wand cores and staff research), then the staff core of the primal, with no instability I could tell of. Haven't lost an item except once when I forgot to have an aspect ready first. Runic matrix is above the one with my crosshairs.
Also, bonus pics. You mention your idiot spawn and sacrifice area. For ongoing LP filling, consider a witch room. As pictured below, I have my original conveyor-belted villager spawning area for quick fills if necessary, but also a 51 witch jail right on top of my well of suffering. Probably overkill, especially as I haven't lost one yet thanks to their drinking problem, but it gets me plenty of LP to make a constant supply of slates, sockets, or keep my orbs filled. With 14 runes of sacrifice and 34 speed runs, it'll run continuously making Demonic Slates, topping up in the middle of each one. 1200LP to the altar per "hit" of the well. Actually just tested, and it'll fill blood sockets too without villager sacrifice. They run the altar dry, and I see grey sparkles, but after ~20secs, I still end up with a filled socket. Guess I don't need my villager auto-spawner anymore!

What exactly do the Speed Runes effect? All I could find is that it increases the Altar's processing power by 20% [additive]. So it just speeds up item creation/orb filling?[DOUBLEPOST=1408383664][/DOUBLEPOST]
that's why you first catch a witch in a jailers safari net, and then transfer it into a re-usable safari net.
you then autospawn that re-usable safari net with the autospawner set to precise
this will start spawning the witch that you first caught in a jailers safari net, and the witches shouldn't despawn

I did this on my old worlds, worked each and every time
This is what I ended up doing...but I forgot fans in the corners :eek:. Are they needed? If they are, I'll go with a Containment ritual [might just do this anyway ;)].

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
that's why you first catch a witch in a jailers safari net, and then transfer it into a re-usable safari net.
you then autospawn that re-usable safari net with the autospawner set to precise
this will start spawning the witch that you first caught in a jailers safari net, and the witches shouldn't despawn

I did this on my old worlds, worked each and every time
Huh, well then. Oh well, I had tons of zombie flesh, which gave me 1/3 as many tons of leather through the Alchemical ChemSet, which meant I wasn't really short on resources to make the jailer nets. Suppose with that method, I could have used conveyor belts to route them straight into their pen, rather than messing with it manually. If I go for AgSkies, Round 3, I'll give that a go!
What exactly do the Speed Runes effect? All I could find is that it increases the Altar's processing power by 20% [additive]. So it just speeds up item creation/orb filling?
Correct, makes things not take so long. I suppose that means you'd run the LP dry faster, but as noted, it doesn't seem to have much detriment when suffering 51 witches. Plus means less time waiting for tons of slates to process (for ritual stones, whatever) Now that I realize I can constantly process slates to whatever level I want, I might put ALL Runes of Sacrifice in, just for giggles. :D Oh wait, aren't those the ones that needed fluxed electrum? That might have been why I didn't go that route.

Suppose it'd help with orb filling too, but whenever I toss one in, it'll suck the altar dry between every "hit", so not a big concern.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Aww. Unable to use Ritual Green Grove + MFR Planter :(

Edit: Un-upgraded planter that is. I just need to move the planter and give it a Lapis upgrade. Time to redesign a little.

Edit: Not Lapis, Iron Upgrade. Little slower to plant but well worth it.

Last edited:

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Latest experiment; I got into my creative world armed myself with a mystery safari ball and right clicked..... for 15 min, no angry zombie spawned, at all.. Biome; forrest

I have no idea why that is, in other modpacks I had gotten them before

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Buggered up quest; Bragging Rights; Armorsmith
Not detecting "Armored Resonant Jetpack" full or empty, enchanted or not enchanted (also full or empty)

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
Latest experiment; I got into my creative world armed myself with a mystery safari ball and right clicked..... for 15 min, no angry zombie spawned, at all.. Biome; forrest

I have no idea why that is, in other modpacks I had gotten them before
I'm getting Angrys in my drop trap, I'll check what biomes it's in if that might help, gimme a minute.

edit: It's Jungle.
But that probably isn't your issue (except maybe the magical forest part, I hardly ever see them in my spawner over there). How large is your spawn area? I noticed with the Pechs and Wisps that a larger spawn area helps the rarer mobs to spawn; it gives them more chances.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
May I ask what a "jailer net" is? I've seen them mentioned above. Is this about the second part of the monster hunting quest? Because while I know how to get witches (didn't I see a villager spawn egg as a Blood Magic recipe?), I have no idea about how to get Slimes to spawn, and I don't even know how to start with those special zombies. If these are the kind that drop Thaumcraft zombie brains, I get enough of those. Maybe I should just switch the grinder off in my mobtrap and funnel all the mobs onto a fenced walkway?

Which would leave the slimes. How the hell do I get those? I recall one spawning on one of my accidentally unlit aura node platforms at level 8, but it fell into the void before I got there with a safari net. Is there any reliable way to get these things to spawn?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
May I ask what a "jailer net" is? I've seen them mentioned above. Is this about the second part of the monster hunting quest? Because while I know how to get witches (didn't I see a villager spawn egg as a Blood Magic recipe?), I have no idea about how to get Slimes to spawn, and I don't even know how to start with those special zombies. If these are the kind that drop Thaumcraft zombie brains, I get enough of those. Maybe I should just switch the grinder off in my mobtrap and funnel all the mobs onto a fenced walkway?

Which would leave the slimes. How the hell do I get those? I recall one spawning on one of my accidentally unlit aura node platforms at level 8, but it fell into the void before I got there with a safari net. Is there any reliable way to get these things to spawn?

Jailer Nets are one-time use nets that, once the mob is released from the net, prevent the mob from despawning. Name tags also prevent despawning, but then you need to use the Golden Lasso to move them around.

The Villager spawn egg recipe is 5 emeralds in the chemistry set.

Green Slimes are easy-peasy to spawn. Take a water-filled barrel, and throw in some milk. Tooltip will say 'generating slime' [the barrel may need to be Oak?]. After it's done, you can get 2-3 slimeballs. However, if you leave it in the barrel...a slime will spawn after some time [doesn't take too long]. Net the slime and you're set.

Blue Slimes only spawn from Liquified Slime? You get a choice between the bucket, a slimy sapling, and some other stuff early on in 'Learning to Skyblock' chain. Dump the bucket somewhere where the liquid slime will flow [blue slimes will only spawn from the flowing liquid]. Again, net and done. If you chose the sapling, I think you can get the blue slimeballs from it and maybe melt those down. Get enough and you can make the liquid bucket. If not, then the sapling's your only blue slimeball source?

Angry Zombies [where the brains drop from] are supposed to be a random spawn from regular zombies. I think if you net one, you can have the spawner spit out an Angry Zombie every time if you set the spawner to exact copy.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks for the extensive info. Very nice :). I knew about the blue slime and have the blue slime bucket, but that won't help me with the slime hunting quest, right?

Why would you need to prevent a mob from despawning? It's not as if they'd survive more than a few seconds of your attention (or the attention of your killing machines) anyway? The only use I see is if you want to keep a pet.

Oh, and while I'm at it...wisps. Is there any way to prevent them from spawning? I guess these spawn in the Magical Forest area where I planted a Silverwood and a Greatwood tree for no better reason than they look so beautiful. The wisps are a good source of Auram essence, but I don't need that much of it, and being distracted by a new one every five minutes is annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Thanks for the extensive info. Very nice :). I knew about the blue slime and have the blue slime bucket, but that won't help me with the slime hunting quest, right?

Why would you need to prevent a mob from despawning? It's not as if they'd survive more than a few seconds of your attention (or the attention of your killing machines) anyway? The only use I see is if you want to keep a pet.

Oh, and while I'm at it...wisps. Is there any way to prevent them from spawning? I guess these spawn in the Magical Forest area where I planted a Silverwood and a Greatwood tree for no better reason than they look so beautiful. The wisps are a good source of Auram essence, but I don't need that much of it, and being distracted by a new one every five minutes is annoying.
the ritual of regen combined with the ritual of sacrifice, (witches self regen) for LP generation

or squid farms

Reactions: Loufmier

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I have never done any mushroom farming. How do I go about doing that? I have enough myceiium, but no mushrooms appear to grow on it. Meanwhile, some did grow on the patch I'm using for my witchwater production. I have no idea what's different.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I have never done any mushroom farming. How do I go about doing that? I have enough myceiium, but no mushrooms appear to grow on it. Meanwhile, some did grow on the patch I'm using for my witchwater production. I have no idea what's different.

witchwater. while witchwater is "cooking" the mushrooms will spawn on nearby mycelium.

it worth mentioning that quest for mushroom soup cannot be completed, because you can only craft the wrong kind of mushroom soup(must be ore dictionary issue) that doesn't work in transposer.

you can use mushroom for burger though.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
witchwater. while witchwater is "cooking" the mushrooms will spawn on nearby mycelium.

it worth mentioning that quest for mushroom soup cannot be completed, because you can only craft the wrong kind of mushroom soup(must be ore dictionary issue) that doesn't work in transposer.

you can use mushroom for burger though.
Milk mooshrooms for that quest.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I know how to get the mushroom soup. The actual mushrooms I need for the bacon mushroom burgers.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
If setting up a witch water/harvester mushroom farm, doesn't need to be too big to get plenty of mushrooms [16 barrels within a 9x9 area works well]. You pipe water into the barrels and then pipe out the witch water. The barrels are continuously converting the water so mushrooms constantly spawn. And no sprinklers nearby. Random bonemeal effect from sprinklers will grow giant mushrooms. Be wary of using ducts to move the fluids around, as they can cause lag [depends on size of farm].

As mentioned above, sometimes you need a mob to not derez [Squid harvested for ink, Witches being put to the question, etc.]. Jailer's net/nametag gets used in these situations to keep the mob permanent in the world.

@Loufmier - To get soup from a mooshroom you need to milk with a bowl. And I believe Ranchers do get the soup.

You can use any type of mushroom to make the quest meal BTW.

Edit: always do this...having trouble with my mob farm weapon recharger. Have a duct set to pull out weap with no charge using NBT and ignore all else. Works first time then weap get damage and isn't pulled even with no charge. Halp:confused:

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
@Loufmier - To get soup from a mooshroom you need to milk with a bowl. And I believe Ranchers do get the soup.

You can use any type of mushroom to make the quest meal BTW.

Edit: always do this...having trouble with my mob farm weapon recharger. Have a duct set to pull out weap with no charge using NBT and ignore all else. Works first time then weap get damage and isn't pulled even with no charge. Halp:confused:
i'm aware of using bowl to get mushroom soup from mooshrooms, but screw this way of getting soup for the quest.

using uncharged weapon for filtering is a bad idea. charge it to full, put it in your grinder for a while like 20-30% charge and then you use it in your filter.

Last edited:

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Ranchers will "milk" mooshrooms to get the soup needed for the quest. 6 mooshrooms will keep the rancher constantly running, so more than 6 mooshrooms serve no advantage to the rancher. (You can place ancient spores on cows to get mooshrooms.)

Set the filter to ignore metadata. That is what stores the damage value. Ignoring damage value, but matching NBTdata should allow it to work no matter what damage the weapon takes.