Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
I actually feed my rednet cable through a block to indirectly power the lamps. (This is partially left over from working with vanilla redstone.) I've gotten in the habit of this as you can read redstone from a block away and successfully hide the rednet cable in the wall or under the floor without leaving anything visible.

This is one area I really miss the old redpower. The lamps and cable just worked so well for lots of things...

I looked in AE, and actually have a breeding pair of tetras. Just before calling it a night, I put together a fish feeder. Now I just need to build a tank in the jungle and get things going. That will be tomorrow's project though.

That also explains how you address each lamp, without the signal affecting it's neighbors. Nice!

Eh, if you're in SSP, you could always add Project Red - Illumination, unless it requires other resources/ores/etc not available in AS. I don't see how adding another lamp would be a game breaking change...not like adding Chisel which gives cheap moss balls, or MPS and it's associated OP'ness.

Why breed for the fish? Just to get more? I suppose it's something I've been wanting to get into too, just have no idea where to start.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
@pjfranke + @netmc : Thanks tons for the Witch Jail idea! This is what I'll implement for permanent LP gen. Do I need to nametag them to prevent despawning?
Jailer net can do it too
What he said. I forgot that I made a whole ton of jailer safari nets to keep them around too. I think nametags would work too (or maybe a regular safari net, renamed in an anvil?)

I actually used my villager spawner on exact mode to spawn a bunch of priests, then had a bit of witchwater suspended with microblocks, and surrounded by blocks (to both hold it, and hide me from the witch). I'd pick the villager up with a golden lasso from in front of my altar, turn around, and drop them where they'd be standing in the witchwater. It would convert them, then I'd pick up with the jailer net. Once I had a hotbar full, fly up and deposit them into their new home. Repeat a few times until you have enough witches.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...does AE treat all negative storage priorities as the same value?

Lazy me just set the storage bus priority [on my overflow chest] to -63. All the drives are set to default [1]. My crafting disk was also set to -63 [to stop this disk from accumulating storage stuffs]. Went to craft a Tesseract frame. Frame crafts then disappears. Set crafting disk to -62. Crafted frame disappears again. Set crafting disk to 0. Crafted frame still disappears! Weird.

Turned off Tesseract to Condenser so items stay in chest. Only overflows are showing up in chest, so that's good. I wonder...is this a priority issue or a no space issue? Crafted items should have somewhere to go [craft disk is only unformatted disk]. Only other unformatted storage is the bus on the void chest.

Any ideas on what's going on here? I'm trying to avoid specifically telling the storage bus what to void.

Edit: Set all my drives to 64 priority, set the craft space to 63, and the void chest storage bus to 1. Turned off the Tesseract and crafted another frame. Frame stayed on craft disk. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Edit: Ok, now AE is being difficult. Prior to above changes, anything crafted with preformatted storage [ex: blocks to ingots] would go to storage disk. After changes, stuff is going to crafting disk even though crafting disk is lower priority than storage. Have I been making use of an AE exploit?

Final Edit?: I think i finally figured out what was causing the problem. I completely forgot about the storage bus/interface network bridge.

Last edited:

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I went with the Slime Spawner / Electric Weapon in AA / Sewer route for Mob Essence and noticed something odd. Does the Vacuum Hopper have trouble grabbing dropped items from conveyor belts?

Made my spawn room 4-high [will fix] and went in to get a large slime stuck behind the spawner. Noticed some lingering slimeballs not being picked up by the vacuum [a stack actually].

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I went with the Slime Spawner / Electric Weapon in AA / Sewer route for Mob Essence and noticed something odd. Does the Vacuum Hopper have trouble grabbing dropped items from conveyor belts?

Made my spawn room 4-high [will fix] and went in to get a large slime stuck behind the spawner. Noticed some lingering slimeballs not being picked up by the vacuum [a stack actually].

There is nothing for the vacuum hopper to suck up as it's not an item entity. Regardless of appearance, conveyor belts store the item in its internal inventory, just like a TE duct. In fact, you can use ducts to pull items out of the conveyor belts, or pipe them in if needed. So, if an item is on a conveyor belt, it doesn't become and actual item entity until it reaches the end of the belt. If you have the belt running directly up to the wall, the items will never become entities, and will just accumulate on that last belt.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing for the vacuum hopper to suck up as it's not an item entity. Regardless of appearance, conveyor belts store the item in its internal inventory, just like a TE duct. In fact, you can use ducts to pull items out of the conveyor belts, or pipe them in if needed. So, if an item is on a conveyor belt, it doesn't become and actual item entity until it reaches the end of the belt. If you have the belt running directly up to the wall, the items will never become entities, and will just accumulate on that last belt.

Hmm...is this true for both MFR's conveyors and XU's [I've enabled and use XU's when I can]. After your explanation, I removed some conveyors in front of the AA. And Yay!. Some slabs and additional [un-upgraded] sewers solved my problems. It appears XU's conveyor is like slowsand...it sits lower than a normal block. So some drops and orbs were getting stuck at the end of the belts and not getting pushed onto the full blocks. But they fall off onto slabs!

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of mob grinders...how did you all learn how to use the Signal Bus/Terminal from Mechworks? All I could find was a single mod spotlight.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
What he said. I forgot that I made a whole ton of jailer safari nets to keep them around too. I think nametags would work too (or maybe a regular safari net, renamed in an anvil?)

I actually used my villager spawner on exact mode to spawn a bunch of priests, then had a bit of witchwater suspended with microblocks, and surrounded by blocks (to both hold it, and hide me from the witch). I'd pick the villager up with a golden lasso from in front of my altar, turn around, and drop them where they'd be standing in the witchwater. It would convert them, then I'd pick up with the jailer net. Once I had a hotbar full, fly up and deposit them into their new home. Repeat a few times until you have enough witches.

or catch a priest, turn it into a witch, catch it in a jailers safari net, transfer it to a re-usable safari net, and autospawn the witch with the auto-spawner set to precise spawning, that should also work

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I have a couple of questions and some comments:

(1) Is there another source of salt except the sludge boiler? I'm going to need tons of dough, and the potatoes I'm going to use as my primary flour source are produced much faster than salt comes in. Yeah, I've seen nether salt ore, but it appears to be very rare, and I don't want to risk the Nether more than I absolutely need.

(2) Is there a machine that automatically applies bonemeal? MFR's Fertilizer, from the description, only uses Industrial Fertilizer, and while I'm making that, too, I have tons of bones I have no other use for.

(3) Is there a way to make my cows and pigs grow up faster? The number of baby cows and piglets is a cause for serious lag.

As for the zombie brain problem mentioned above - I guess this is about the Thaumcraft zombie brains. I get these from both of my mob grinders - the passive and the active one - with no problem at all. And for stabilizing my infusions, I'm using the tons of heads that came out of my passive mob grinder, hidden under the floor of the infusion room and covering a 15x15 area.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I have a couple of questions and some comments:

(1) Is there another source of salt except the sludge boiler? I'm going to need tons of dough, and the potatoes I'm going to use as my primary flour source are produced much faster than salt comes in. Yeah, I've seen nether salt ore, but it appears to be very rare, and I don't want to risk the Nether more than I absolutely need.

(2) Is there a machine that automatically applies bonemeal? MFR's Fertilizer, from the description, only uses Industrial Fertilizer, and while I'm making that, too, I have tons of bones I have no other use for.

(3) Is there a way to make my cows and pigs grow up faster? The number of baby cows and piglets is a cause for serious lag.

1 there 2 kinds of salt 1 is made with sludge boiler the other is made with water bucket and a pot(?). you can add later recipe into fluid crafting chamber and pour water into ME network to automatically create salt
2 bonemeal can be applied with activator or golem with use core. industrial fertilizer can be also crafted with bonemeal, stick and strings.
Fertilizer can also use Forestry's fertilizer if you want to use that pesky apatite.
3 veterinary station with growth syringes

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
1 there 2 kinds of salt 1 is made with sludge boiler the other is made with water bucket and a pot(?). you can add later recipe into fluid crafting chamber and pour water into ME network to automatically create salt
2 bonemeal can be applied with activator or golem with use core. industrial fertilizer can be also crafted with bonemeal, stick and strings.
Fertilizer can also use Forestry's fertilizer if you want to use that pesky apatite.
3 veterinary station with growth syringes

The 2 salts you mention in (1) are the same salt from different sources. The crafting recipe for salt is Fresh Water + Pot, where Fresh Water(x4: meaning you get 4 Fresh Water from every water bucket) is just a water bucket in any crafting table. So yup, water bucket + pot = salt.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
LOL, there goes my salt problem and my fertilizer problem. Should've looked more closely into NEI, but I never thought you could make salt from basically nothing. Thank you. The growth syringe...not sure if I want to automate something that uses up gold...

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
or catch a priest, turn it into a witch, catch it in a jailers safari net, transfer it to a re-usable safari net, and autospawn the witch with the auto-spawner set to precise spawning, that should also work
Working on getting witches currently, but don't things spawned from the Auto-Spawner despawn if you get too far away? A nametag'd Witch autospawned might not derez...hmmm...[DOUBLEPOST=1408349539][/DOUBLEPOST]
LOL, there goes my salt problem and my fertilizer problem. Should've looked more closely into NEI, but I never thought you could make salt from basically nothing. Thank you. The growth syringe...not sure if I want to automate something that uses up gold...
Gold Armor drops auto-repaired then smelted.

Edit: naming a witch then netting her releases the nametag :(

Last edited:

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
why grow pigs and cows, set up a mob grinder with a grinder and you will have mob essence to spare to spawn them with

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
why grow pigs and cows, set up a mob grinder with a grinder and you will have mob essence to spare to spawn them with
To be honest, I never thought of that. I needed chicken for the eggs and cows for the milk anyway, so it never occurred to me to look for alternatives to breeding. I have more mob essence than I know what to do with, so I might end up auto-spawning them until I have what I need for the quests, and then disable the breeders.

Having said that, I dislike being dependent on mob grinders. I can't avoid it in AgS but I still try minimize it. Ender Pearls used to be my main reason to run mob grinders, but since Blazes occasionally drop Ender Lilies and I've been running a Blaze spawner for the sulfur I need to create yellorium dust, by now I could easily set up a 15x15 Ender Lily farm run by golems. I just haven't got around to it. Which means that mob essence is the only critical output of the mob grinder that gets used on a continual basis at the moment.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Working on getting witches currently, but don't things spawned from the Auto-Spawner despawn if you get too far away? A nametag'd Witch autospawned might not derez...hmmm...

that's why you first catch a witch in a jailers safari net, and then transfer it into a re-usable safari net.
you then autospawn that re-usable safari net with the autospawner set to precise
this will start spawning the witch that you first caught in a jailers safari net, and the witches shouldn't despawn

I did this on my old worlds, worked each and every time