Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I like this idea but I'm sorta hesitant to try...my dirt production facilities are somewhat big...110 barrels. I've read hoppers can cause tick lag and 110 hoppers? I may convert a run or 2 and see how it goes.

Normal vanilla hoppers do indeed cause tick rate lag. The ones in AgS (and most of the FTB packs) have been modified by EVOC to greatly improve upon their performance.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking for a few recommendations for setting up an emergency generator for my base to keep my AE system powered. It wouldn't power my entire base and machines, but should keep enough energy flowing while I repair any derps on my part or redoing my main base power. My AE network uses right around 1k RF/tick. I want something that I can turn on and off when necessary, so it has to respond to redstone directly or indirectly.

My most numerous fuel source at the moment is charcoal at bit over 300k. I thought about using a high-temperature furnace, but I would need to regulate the fuel flow to it, and there is no way to turn it on and off, so when my normal power generation system came back online, the rest of the fuel in the furnace would be wasted. Fuel production would not be going on while I fix things, so I would either have to stockpile enough fuel to keep things running for several real life hours or attach a small generation system to this to maintain production while the rest of my base is shut down.

I am in mid-game at the moment, and do have access to bees and can build most items. I haven't gotten into tree breeding or mariculture yet.

Thanks.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Tier 2 altar you can only change the non corner runes...

Corner or non-corner? I ask because I'm seeing conflicting info and can you swap in any run or only Speed Runes in T2 rune spots.

T2 Altar testing:
I was killing cows [on a T2 altar] with a Rune of Sacrifice in both places [tested corner, non-corner, and both] and LP received was always less than 250. With 8 Blood Runes, I was getting 250LP. With 4 Speed Runes in corners, I was getting 250LP. Rune of Sacrifice didn't start to take effect until T3.

It's only the T2 rune spots that are confusing me, and only because I can't figure if they're restricted to certain rune types or not.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking for a few recommendations for setting up an emergency generator for my base to keep my AE system powered. It wouldn't power my entire base and machines, but should keep enough energy flowing while I repair any derps on my part or redoing my main base power. My AE network uses right around 1k RF/tick. I want something that I can turn on and off when necessary, so it has to respond to redstone directly or indirectly.

My most numerous fuel source at the moment is charcoal at bit over 300k. I thought about using a high-temperature furnace, but I would need to regulate the fuel flow to it, and there is no way to turn it on and off, so when my normal power generation system came back online, the rest of the fuel in the furnace would be wasted. Fuel production would not be going on while I fix things, so I would either have to stockpile enough fuel to keep things running for several real life hours or attach a small generation system to this to maintain production while the rest of my base is shut down.

I am in mid-game at the moment, and do have access to bees and can build most items. I haven't gotten into tree breeding or mariculture yet.

Thanks.
In my usage, XU Gens will stop consuming fuel after buffer fills. So after you restore normal power, backup gens would consume fuel until buffers full, then stop. And each XU gen has 500K? RF buffer.

If you have a Bloodwood tree farm... you could use the wood, converted to slabs, as furnace fuel. I have a single bloodwood tree powering 50 furnace gens with plenty of wood to spare.

There's also AE's Backup Battery and/or Resonant Cells. You could chain the cells between power plant and output and/or give each AE system a cell/battery(s).

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Normal vanilla hoppers do indeed cause tick rate lag. The ones in AgS (and most of the FTB packs) have been modified by EVOC to greatly improve upon their performance.
I tried a row on each of my dirt farms and ran into problems with non-compostable items getting into the buffers [flaws in my duct network]. Items enter AE system through ME interface. Duct pulls overflow from Interface and sends it straight to dirt farm [Ex Nihilo barrels where barrels determine duct space calculation] or Tesseract [to ME Condenser]. To make use of the Hopper design, I'd have to filter everything...so project for later.

I'll just have to minimize my Fertilizer usage for now.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
In my usage, XU Gens will stop consuming fuel after buffer fills. So after you restore normal power, backup gens would consume fuel until buffers full, then stop. And each XU gen has 500K? RF buffer.

If you have a Bloodwood tree farm... you could use the wood, converted to slabs, as furnace fuel. I have a single bloodwood tree powering 50 furnace gens with plenty of wood to spare.

There's also AE's Backup Battery and/or Resonant Cells. You could chain the cells between power plant and output and/or give each AE system a cell/battery(s).

I never set up a bloodwood farm as I have a rather massive sieving setup that I run sporadically as needed.

I tried using the backup battery once and my world got really derpy while it was connected. Once I broke the battery, the derpiness went away.

If the XU generators stop consuming fuel when the buffer fills, that may not be a bad idea. I'll have to try it. -- This only works with generators that don't consume the entire input at once. This does not work with the high-temperature furnace.[DOUBLEPOST=1408218692][/DOUBLEPOST]
I tried a row on each of my dirt farms and ran into problems with non-compostable items getting into the buffers [flaws in my duct network]. Items enter AE system through ME interface. Duct pulls overflow from Interface and sends it straight to dirt farm [Ex Nihilo barrels where barrels determine duct space calculation] or Tesseract [to ME Condenser]. To make use of the Hopper design, I'd have to filter everything...so project for later.

I'll just have to minimize my Fertilizer usage for now.

I have my system isolated. I have everything dumping into my AE system, then I have certain items connected to an export bus on a level emitter to maintain my stock levels, and any extra gets dumped into the composting system. My base is a little spread out and on multiple levels, so this allows me to not worry about having related systems near each other.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I never set up a bloodwood farm as I have a rather massive sieving setup that I run sporadically as needed.

I tried using the backup battery once and my world got really derpy while it was connected. Once I broke the battery, the derpiness went away.

If the XU generators stop consuming fuel when the buffer fills, that may not be a bad idea. I'll have to try it. -- This only works with generators that don't consume the entire input at once. This does not work with the high-temperature furnace.[DOUBLEPOST=1408218692][/DOUBLEPOST]

I have my system isolated. I have everything dumping into my AE system, then I have certain items connected to an export bus on a level emitter to maintain my stock levels, and any extra gets dumped into the composting system. My base is a little spread out and on multiple levels, so this allows me to not worry about having related systems near each other.

Didn't know the HT Furnace consumed everything...that'sa bummer. It would work with the regular Furnace Gens [80 RF/t]...13 would get you 1K RF/t. You 'd need to use an AE system to provide the fuel tho [TE tubes aren't quick enough for 13...may be if you turned the charcoal into blocks?]. If you're willing to sacrifice some redstone for less gennys, you could use the Heated Redstone/Magma Crucible combo at 320 RF/t each [minus whatever the Crucible uses]. Heated Redstone gen will shutdown when buffer full. If you want to use dynamos, they can be redstoned off but you're limited to 80/t no matter which you choose.

I also think you can get a Comparator to read a TE Energy Cell [may need to play around with cell levels]. If that works, you could use it to control fuel consumption.

I've got 2 separate dirt farms over each other: trees + sludge processing and crops, each with it's own separate AE system. Dirt from top farm goes into tube network of bottom farm [for dirt compressing]. Filtering each wouldn't be too much of a hassle [crop system denies anything not compostable - not much] + [tree/sludge system whitelist for compostables]. Real problem is making sure AE has chance to grab stuff before the duct pulls it away [I'll need a PRC timer for this] without letting the Interface backup with overflow.

Last edited:

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any good options for status lights outside of mariculture? I tried the illuminators from TE, but they literally just illuminate, and don't change appearance, so I can't tell when a specific one is not lit. I've got redstone lamps in at the moment while I was testing, and will probably add colored wool to the side for the moment to kinda color code the gauge. This will be signaled by a comparator attached to my main resonant energy cell. When the cell is full, all the lights are lit, then as the cell drains, the lights turn off one by one, then if it's very low, the bottom light blinks slowly and if empty or nearly empty, it blinks fast.

I'm just wondering how far into mariculture I need to get to get the neon tetra needed to start producing the lamps.
2014-08-16_19.49.15.png

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any good options for status lights outside of mariculture? I tried the illuminators from TE, but they literally just illuminate, and don't change appearance, so I can't tell when a specific one is not lit. I've got redstone lamps in at the moment while I was testing, and will probably add colored wool to the side for the moment to kinda color code the gauge. This will be signaled by a comparator attached to my main resonant energy cell. When the cell is full, all the lights are lit, then as the cell drains, the lights turn off one by one, then if it's very low, the bottom light blinks slowly and if empty or nearly empty, it blinks fast.

I'm just wondering how far into mariculture I need to get to get the neon tetra needed to start producing the lamps.
Pretty sure I've caught Tetra just derping around with grasshoppers and the reed pole. So not too far in. Breeding them, well...

FYI: TE powered ducts can extract items from an ME Interface faster than AE can put them (all) into storage.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Latest pushed [as of today] is only 3.1.2 but I am seeing brains drop from a simple darkroom with punji killzone.

Odd I tried 3.1.1, 3.1.2, and 3.1.4 in a creative test and server smp and still no brains. I dunno what's wrong. I've actually sat there and watch a cursed earth spawner (17x17) for an hour and no angry zombies. and there's no egg for them either :/

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any good options for status lights outside of mariculture?

Make fishing nets, and throw a vacuum Hopper and chest nearby. You'll have all kinds of random fish popping out at random times, hence the vacuum hopper.

That tower looks good! Are you sure the illuminators don't change appearance? I could swear they did....might be thinking of redstone lamps.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Odd I tried 3.1.1, 3.1.2, and 3.1.4 in a creative test and server smp and still no brains. I dunno what's wrong. I've actually sat there and watch a cursed earth spawner (17x17) for an hour and no angry zombies. and there's no egg for them either :/

I had this same issue in one of my magic farm worlds. Angry zombies *never* spawned anywhere. I ended up making a dark room around a sinister node. A sinister node will convert the biome around it in (I think) a 9 block radius. If it is dark, sinister nodes will spawn angry furious zombies. (This is separate from the normal spawning mechanics.) That was my only source of zombie brains on that map.

Hopefully you can find a sinister node an move it some place convenient for you and make a dark room around it.

Edit: I forgot that the nodes spawn furious zombies and not angry zombies, but both drop brains, so I had what I needed.

Last edited:

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Make fishing nets, and throw a vacuum Hopper and chest nearby. You'll have all kinds of random fish popping out at random times, hence the vacuum hopper.

That tower looks good! Are you sure the illuminators don't change appearance? I could swear they did....might be thinking of redstone lamps.

Here's the tower. Can you tell from the picture which lamps are lit?
2014-08-16_21.47.34.png
Answers:
Only the bottom two--orange and red

Edit:

Same image again, but with redstone lamps... Much easier to tell.

2014-08-16_21.51.45.png

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019

Found this after a quick search [you may have already read it]. Seems Angry Zombie spawns may be biome-restricted. OP of linked post used spawn control mod to fix his problem. I don't think it's related to your problem, but the spawn control mod 'could' solve your problem?[DOUBLEPOST=1408244056][/DOUBLEPOST]While I'm here...what's a good size platform for a multi-level Thaumcraft tower?

Also...Brainy bees?

Last edited:

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
While I'm here...what's a good size platform for a multi-level Thaumcraft tower?

My tower is a 19x19 internal dimensions. The tower wall is 21x21. With the way I have my infusion altar set, it has a footprint of 15x15. My altar will pull essence out of all the jars on the second level utilizing the entire 19x19 area. A wand recharging station will reach an 8 block radius from the wand recharge pedestal giving it a max footprint of 17x17.

Here are the 3 levels of my thaumcraft area.

2014-08-16_22.06.41.png 2014-08-16_22.07.39.png 2014-08-16_22.07.56.png

Edit: So I guess I would recommend a 17x17 area for your tower to give it a nice layout, although you could probably cram everything into a 13x13 if you needed to.

Edit 2: The dimensions I've listed are all the internal usable area. So you would need to add 2 for the walls.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Also...Brainy bees?

I just finished this (thank god for gendustry) but it does not clear the "kill x mobs" due to them not spawning

My spawner is in converted Magical Forrest (from an ocean biome using Silverwood node trees) and I get whisps and pechs, just no angry zombies. It shouldn't be a biome issue.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
My tower is a 19x19 internal dimensions. The tower wall is 21x21. With the way I have my infusion altar set, it has a footprint of 15x15. My altar will pull essence out of all the jars on the second level utilizing the entire 19x19 area. A wand recharging station will reach an 8 block radius from the wand recharge pedestal giving it a max footprint of 17x17.

Here are the 3 levels of my thaumcraft area.

View attachment 12538 View attachment 12539 View attachment 12540

Edit: So I guess I would recommend a 17x17 area for your tower to give it a nice layout, although you could probably cram everything into a 13x13 if you needed to.

Edit 2: The dimensions I've listed are all the internal usable area. So you would need to add 2 for the walls.

Danko. Without looking at the pics, is your Infusion Altar? fully stabilized? I guess I should have mentioned that in my ask [old age]. Space isn't an issue. I've got 100+ blocks in x/z to play with before I have to tack on another chunkloader. I'm trying not to build so cramped this time...but old habits die hard.

I just finished this (thank god for gendustry) but it does not clear the "kill x mobs" due to them not spawning

My spawner is in converted Magical Forrest (from an ocean biome using Silverwood node trees) and I get whisps and pechs, just no angry zombies. It shouldn't be a biome issue.
I'm just throwing out ideas for you while I think about [drag my feet] how I want to setup my mob farm/collection area/Blood Altar/ and where to put my Idiots [villagers].

If I keep my Idiot spawn zone 32+ blocks away from their sacrifice area, can I still trade with them [is there even a point]?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Danko. Without looking at the pics, is your Infusion Altar? fully stabilized? I guess I should have mentioned that in my ask [old age]. Space isn't an issue. I've got 100+ blocks in x/z to play with before I have to tack on another chunkloader. I'm trying not to build so cramped this time...but old habits die hard.

I'm just throwing out ideas for you while I think about [drag my feet] how I want to setup my mob farm/collection area/Blood Altar/ and where to put my Idiots [villagers].

If I keep my Idiot spawn zone 32+ blocks away from their sacrifice area, can I still trade with them [is there even a point]?

Well, if space isn't an issue, I would recommend and internal area of 19x19 blocks. It has worked out pretty well for my thaumcraft layout.

I've been generating more shards to fully stabilize the area. The walls you see in the infusion altar picture actually have a 1 block space behind them. That's where most of my skulls and crystals are going. I've only got a handful in it right now, hence the purple goo on the ceiling in the picture. :D I got far enough with it as is to make a silver capped staff of the primal, so I haven't been putting a lot more attention into my thaumcraft area at the moment.

I ended up using a handful of witches with a well of suffering ritual to power my blood altar. No more need of villager sacrifices. There are a few villagers I will probably want to trade with (bee and tree ones), but most of the villagers can be bypassed entirely.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
I had this same issue in one of my magic farm worlds. Angry zombies *never* spawned anywhere. I ended up making a dark room around a sinister node. A sinister node will convert the biome around it in (I think) a 9 block radius. If it is dark, sinister nodes will spawn angry furious zombies. (This is separate from the normal spawning mechanics.) That was my only source of zombie brains on that map.

Hopefully you can find a sinister node an move it some place convenient for you and make a dark room around it.

Edit: I forgot that the nodes spawn furious zombies and not angry zombies, but both drop brains, so I had what I needed.
This is what I ended up making for magical spawns. I found a magical forest biome, outlined it, then filled it in. Got pechs soon enough to trade with to get my greatwood and silverwood saplings. Later, when looking for angry zombies, I ended up expanding it out (grass/bone brick area) into a Jungle biome. Also spawns ocelots then too, whee! But once I expanded out, plus removed all light, I've had both pechs and angry zombies spawning with regularity at night. Other stuff too obviously, but I just ignore or kill it all.
2014-08-17_00.09.28.png
Here's the tower. Can you tell from the picture which lamps are lit?
Agreed. Did some tests myself, with the available illumination options.

Night
2014-08-17_00.08.25.png
Day
2014-08-17_00.08.37.png
As the road lights have an obvious yellow "lamp" in them, they might be good options too. I agree that the Illuminators are hard to tell apart, especially with different colors. But with one color (redstone lamps/road) you don't get the pretty effect like with the Neon lamps. Just put the cable to the side, not behind, as otherwise you can see it through the lamp. They won't be hard to get to, once you let the fishing nets run for a while. Just make some plastic using the ethanol recipie, and there ya go.

Can't see the bottom of his, but here's the bottom of mine. Not symmetrical due to how heads can be placed on a "wall", as I started the front too far back, I couldn't add the 2 more rows without redoing it all. I was able to craft all the staff cores (thinking I needed the staff cores for the primal staff, not realizing it's merely wand cores and staff research), then the staff core of the primal, with no instability I could tell of. Haven't lost an item except once when I forgot to have an aspect ready first. Runic matrix is above the one with my crosshairs.
2014-08-17_00.16.42.png
Also, bonus pics. You mention your idiot spawn and sacrifice area. For ongoing LP filling, consider a witch room. As pictured below, I have my original conveyor-belted villager spawning area for quick fills if necessary, but also a 51 witch jail right on top of my well of suffering. Probably overkill, especially as I haven't lost one yet thanks to their drinking problem, but it gets me plenty of LP to make a constant supply of slates, sockets, or keep my orbs filled. With 14 runes of sacrifice and 34 speed runs, it'll run continuously making Demonic Slates, topping up in the middle of each one. 1200LP to the altar per "hit" of the well. Actually just tested, and it'll fill blood sockets too without villager sacrifice. They run the altar dry, and I see grey sparkles, but after ~20secs, I still end up with a filled socket. Guess I don't need my villager auto-spawner anymore!
2014-08-17_00.20.08.png

2014-08-17_00.21.21.png

Last edited:

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Just put the cable to the side, not behind, as otherwise you can see it through the lamp. They won't be hard to get to, once you let the fishing nets run for a while. Just make some plastic using the ethanol recipie, and there ya go.

I actually feed my rednet cable through a block to indirectly power the lamps. (This is partially left over from working with vanilla redstone.) I've gotten in the habit of this as you can read redstone from a block away and successfully hide the rednet cable in the wall or under the floor without leaving anything visible.

This is one area I really miss the old redpower. The lamps and cable just worked so well for lots of things...

I looked in AE, and actually have a breeding pair of tetras. Just before calling it a night, I put together a fish feeder. Now I just need to build a tank in the jungle and get things going. That will be tomorrow's project though.