Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
the real beauty comes from the jewelry

but yeah some quests relating to that instead of only making the sifter would be nice

Ghooostie

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how big of a border around an auto spawner you'll need to prevent enemies getting spawning outside of it ? I have a 5by5 inner room, surrounded with a two thick wall on three sides and a one thick wall on the fourth, and a total height of 6 blocks (spawner is at the 4th, leaving 3 blocks below it and 2 above), and mobs occasionally spawn outside it. Worst case was just now when I found a wisp flying around my world (spawned in the magical forest I guess? First one I've seen) and I captured it in the safari net and left it running for a while, and while the majority (I'd guess around 90%) or them stayed inside the room and got grinded up nicely, a bunch also spawned outside and started flying all around. Blazes don't, which is what makes me most curious. Blue slimes will (only small ones), and wisps will seemingly too. So it's a small gap I'd estimate.

Anyone have any ideas to prevent this ? Do I need to make the front one thicker ? Because it would be nice to not have to worry about a million wisps flying about sapping me :'D

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Nearly no quests to help familiarize me with the mod, out of game documentation is out of date, in game documentation is not really sufficient.

I highlighted the important bit, if the mod documentation is out of date how is Jaded supposed to write quest lines for it?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I highlighted the important bit, if the mod documentation is out of date how is Jaded supposed to write quest lines for it?

Yeah. 'Tis a bit sad, really. From what I've been able to puzzle out, it is a rather nifty mod. But the mechanics are more than a little confusing in spots. I'm always looking for alternate ways of doing things, because, to me, that is what playing modded Minecraft is about.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how big of a border around an auto spawner you'll need to prevent enemies getting spawning outside of it ? I have a 5by5 inner room, surrounded with a two thick wall on three sides and a one thick wall on the fourth, and a total height of 6 blocks (spawner is at the 4th, leaving 3 blocks below it and 2 above), and mobs occasionally spawn outside it. Worst case was just now when I found a wisp flying around my world (spawned in the magical forest I guess? First one I've seen) and I captured it in the safari net and left it running for a while, and while the majority (I'd guess around 90%) or them stayed inside the room and got grinded up nicely, a bunch also spawned outside and started flying all around. Blazes don't, which is what makes me most curious. Blue slimes will (only small ones), and wisps will seemingly too. So it's a small gap I'd estimate.

Anyone have any ideas to prevent this ? Do I need to make the front one thicker ? Because it would be nice to not have to worry about a million wisps flying about sapping me :'D

Your spawner is too high up. I think they can spawn up to 3 blocks above it. I think they have the same range as a grinder but 5x5 around, 1 down and 3 up.. I always make a 5x5x5 interior room with the spawner being at level 2 and never have any problems.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. 'Tis a bit sad, really. From what I've been able to puzzle out, it is a rather nifty mod. But the mechanics are more than a little confusing in spots. I'm always looking for alternate ways of doing things, because, to me, that is what playing modded Minecraft is about.

Ahh well according to Twitter Joshie is without internet due to him moving so that may explain a lot.

Ghooostie

Jul 29, 2019
Your spawner is too high up. I think they can spawn up to 3 blocks above it. I think they have the same range as a grinder but 5x5 around, 1 down and 3 up.. I always make a 5x5x5 interior room with the spawner being at level 2 and never have any problems.
The roof is two thick, so I guess that would explain why the blazes wont spawn outside of it. Alright, I'll try to add another layer on it and see if that does the trick. I designed it the way I did because the grinder only reaches 3 blocks up, so I wanted the entire room covered by it

Edit: Okay, that helped, but I'm still seeing the occasional one escaping out somehow. There's three solid blocks above the spawner, I doubt they're going that way now. I guess I'll have to try adding another layer to the front, since that's thinnest area with only 3 blocks from the spawner (2 being air). All other sides have 4 blocks (two being air). Or just completely redo the design.

@malicious_bloke you could use Dark Glass from extra utilities. It blocks light and looks pretty neat.

Last edited:

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
The roof is two thick, so I guess that would explain why the blazes wont spawn outside of it. Alright, I'll try to add another layer on it and see if that does the trick. I designed it the way I did because the grinder only reaches 3 blocks up, so I wanted the entire room covered by it

@malicious_bloke you could use Dark Glass from extra utilities. It blocks light and looks pretty neat.

The grinder also grinds 1 block below it. Putting the grinder on the same level as the spawner in the fashion that I describe works 100% of the time for me and does not require a 2 thick wall. You only need a larger room than 5x5x5 (interior) if you plan on spawning larger mobs, but I think most/all of those are blacklisted on the spawner in this pack.

Cellfire

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone found any nether iridium ore?

I ran a few 64x64 quarries in the nether but never found any. Maybe it just really rare or do I need to find some sort of boss?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ya know, I've watched a lot of AS on YouTube and livestream via TwitchTV. Out of all of that, there is one mod in AS that gets barely any mention, or any use: Mariculture. So, when playing my world I thought I'd tinker with it, see if it had any neat toys. And hey, fish breeding to go with bees, trees, and butterflies!

Yeah, this thing really is coming off as half-assed in AS. And this makes me sad. Nearly no quests to help familiarize me with the mod, out of game documentation is out of date, in game documentation is not really sufficient. Oh, and one of the resources critical for the more advanced stuff is simply unavailable in AS. You need hard plastic for something? Sorry, nope.

Which is a shame. It is probably the one mod the majority of players in AS aren't familiar with. It isn't really popular, I've done some poking and there aren't a lot of LPers out there who use it, so it doesn't get the wide exposure it really should.

I am hoping that Jaded ends up fleshing out some more quests for Mariculture. A few quests to help walk people through fish breeding, a run through of the vat mechanics. A few on the jewelry mechanic. Something.

As an edit, and an aside:
When just starting out it is much, much easier NOT to build a magmatic dynamo to power your automatic sieving system. You sieve gravel, you get coal. I've found it is possible to supply an autonomous activator with all the gravel it needs using one steam dynamo powered strictly by the coal found by sieving.

The dynamo won't run very often, but it will run enough to have a pulverizer spit out enough gravel to keep 1 activator busy all the time.

Done right, you can set it up in a corner using zero fluid dudcts and 2 or 3 item ducts plus a pneumatic servo.
Wanna second this. I know absolutely nothing about mariculture beyond the fact that I was excited to have an excuse to learn it; but the excuse never materialized :(

Would love to see mariculture quests.

Ghooostie

Jul 29, 2019
The grinder also grinds 1 block below it. Putting the grinder on the same level as the spawner in the fashion that I describe works 100% of the time for me and does not require a 2 thick wall. You only need a larger room than 5x5x5 (interior) if you plan on spawning larger mobs, but I think most/all of those are blacklisted on the spawner in this pack.

I'll keep that in mind for future spawner rooms, I got this one working without leaks, by extending the front as well (so much for small and efficient huh). But your design sounds a lot more useful and less annoying to deal with, so I'll definitely use that in for any more I make. Didn't know about the one block below the grinder, thanks for that information.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
I'll keep that in mind for future spawner rooms, I got this one working without leaks, by extending the front as well (so much for small and efficient huh). But your design sounds a lot more useful and less annoying to deal with, so I'll definitely use that in for any more I make. Didn't know about the one block below the grinder, thanks for that information.

Oops did some additional testing and seems some mobs spawn outside what I thought they would. Looks like the exact Grinder dimensions are 5x5x4 (1 down 2 up) in front of grinder. You can check the grinder dimensions by holding a precision sledge hammer in your hand. The spawner seems to have a max of 7x7x5 (1 down 3 up) with spawner in center no matter what mob I tried from this pack. If the mob tries to spawn inside a wall it will either spawn inside or outside of it. So a 9x9x7 walls included seems best if using conveyor belts. Would be nice if the hammer showed ranges for the spawner, it shows all the other MfR machines..

Last edited:

Ghooostie

Jul 29, 2019
That would very much explain it. Although, the confusing thing is why the blazes didn't spawn out the front too then, but only wisps and slimes.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
That would very much explain it. Although, the confusing thing is why the blazes didn't spawn out the front too then, but only wisps and slimes.

Might be the mob's hitbox and orientation when the game tries to spawn it and that might determine if it will spawn inside or outside of the wall.

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know if harvesting enderlilys with the harvester still gives a chance at extra seeds? Or do you have to manually break them for that?

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
I dont think the harvester even works on them, but should give chence if it does( btw you can create seeds using grass seeds and eyes of ender).

Planter and harvester works fine Monster so assuming they should work in AS. Will test tonight when I get home. Thanks for the recipe though. That helps.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Ya know, I've watched a lot of AS on YouTube and livestream via TwitchTV. Out of all of that, there is one mod in AS that gets barely any mention, or any use: Mariculture. So, when playing my world I thought I'd tinker with it, see if it had any neat toys. And hey, fish breeding to go with bees, trees, and butterflies!

Yeah, this thing really is coming off as half-assed in AS. And this makes me sad. Nearly no quests to help familiarize me with the mod, out of game documentation is out of date, in game documentation is not really sufficient. Oh, and one of the resources critical for the more advanced stuff is simply unavailable in AS. You need hard plastic for something? Sorry, nope.

Which is a shame. It is probably the one mod the majority of players in AS aren't familiar with. It isn't really popular, I've done some poking and there aren't a lot of LPers out there who use it, so it doesn't get the wide exposure it really should.

I am hoping that Jaded ends up fleshing out some more quests for Mariculture. A few quests to help walk people through fish breeding, a run through of the vat mechanics. A few on the jewelry mechanic. Something.

As an edit, and an aside:
When just starting out it is much, much easier NOT to build a magmatic dynamo to power your automatic sieving system. You sieve gravel, you get coal. I've found it is possible to supply an autonomous activator with all the gravel it needs using one steam dynamo powered strictly by the coal found by sieving.

The dynamo won't run very often, but it will run enough to have a pulverizer spit out enough gravel to keep 1 activator busy all the time.

Done right, you can set it up in a corner using zero fluid dudcts and 2 or 3 item ducts plus a pneumatic servo.
Just heard on Slow's stream (like 2 minutes ago, lol) that Mariculture has some potential bugs/dupes. She said she's reluctant to create any quests around it until she's decided whether or not she needs to pull it out of the pack. Assuming those issues are resolved, expect to see quests around it in future updates.

Regarding your aside, I'd recommend hoarding all your coal and using charcoal for your steam engines. You may find you have a use for sulfur after you get a reactor going =)

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
Yeeeaaaahhh, Mariculture is nearly impossible to play in this pack due to titanium not being easy to get and the power gen seems extremely bugged, though with the lack of any good documentation on that I can't be 100% sure. Heck, there's barely any good documentation on anything in this mod, even without it being out of date (if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have even been able to make a fish tank), which is a shame because it does look like an interesting mod to mess with.