Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Interesting hint. Setting up a sprinkaler on grass blocks will occasionally cause it to sprout grass and even trees. It's a good way to get seeds.
it is free but slow bonemeal, if you need that you don't have a good enough mob trap

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
AS seems too grindy for my tastes. I mean, once you have enough food going, the rest is just antics. Build up to your first igneous extruder + pulverizer. Run that all with the free lava you get from EN crucibles.

AFK for a few days and come back. Would be better if you can get AE going first.

Then you're back to ~infinite resources. So is the challenge getting there?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Is available in every pack, same with infinite free charcoal. Both fuels are boring and should be avoided for maximum enjoyment, IMO.

I will have both lava and charcoal in my setup, but am maxing the lava output based on what 1 igneous extruder can supply without using a tank for lava. From what others have reported, it ends up at about 20 crucibles. If I used this all for dynamos, it would max me at 12ish. Maybe 1 or 2 more, but not nearly enough to power everything. Lava is needed to power a few things like the smeltery and for crafting, so not all of that can go for power.

Charcoal is needed for the high oven, and even though I would like to not set up a charcoal farm, I am going to need it on this map.

I will definitely be going for the culinary generator as I get my ae system and farms in place. It should be interesting. My power production will go up as the food gets better.

Azhrael

Jul 29, 2019
Is available in every pack, same with infinite free charcoal. Both fuels are boring and should be avoided for maximum enjoyment, IMO.

Definately. The only reason I have lava generation set up at all it to fuel smelteries and for obsidian production; I made one magmatic dynamo to power my pulverizer early on, but that got moved into a chest as soon as I could supply better options. Currently powering my setup on energized glowstone/blaze powder in a bank of reactant dynamos, fed by a cryotheum/glowstone generator and my darkroom mob farm feeding essance to an autospawner for blazes.

Will have to set up charcoal gen soon for the high oven, though, but more raw plastic for AE is something I want anyways, so a rubber tree farm will manage both of those as a good use of the rubber logs.

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
Definately. The only reason I have lava generation set up at all it to fuel smelteries and for obsidian production; I made one magmatic dynamo to power my pulverizer early on, but that got moved into a chest as soon as I could supply better options. Currently powering my setup on energized glowstone/blaze powder in a bank of reactant dynamos, fed by a cryotheum/glowstone generator and my darkroom mob farm feeding essance to an autospawner for blazes.

Will have to set up charcoal gen soon for the high oven, though, but more raw plastic for AE is something I want anyways, so a rubber tree farm will manage both of those as a good use of the rubber logs.
You can also use Alumite in the High Oven, but it isn't as effective as Charcoal. I end up viewing Lava and Charcoal as crafting ingredients, and only making them for recipes I can't make any other way.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
AS seems too grindy for my tastes. I mean, once you have enough food going, the rest is just antics. Build up to your first igneous extruder + pulverizer. Run that all with the free lava you get from EN crucibles.

AFK for a few days and come back. Would be better if you can get AE going first.

Then you're back to ~infinite resources. So is the challenge getting there?

If you are looking for a challenge, I suggest the Blood and Bones pack. Play on Hard or Hardcore if you like losing your world often. Be paranoid during the day. Spend 20+ hours before your food self sufficient. You will either love it or rage quit delete the pack :p

try2bcool

Jul 29, 2019
I've not managed to get anything to spawn from my slime bucket. I've built out a large grassed area over in the plains/swamp biome area including a nice looking pond so I thought I'd try emptying out the slime bucket in that area. I knocked out a few torches too. I got lots of green slimes spawning but no blue ones.
Just pour it in a 1x1 hole, don't spread it out all over, it doesn't work like pink slimes

Azhrael

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use Alumite in the High Oven, but it isn't as effective as Charcoal. I end up viewing Lava and Charcoal as crafting ingredients, and only making them for recipes I can't make any other way.

Do you mean Alumentum? If so, that is something I did not know. Might be interesting to tinker around with that, though if it's notably less efficient, might be kind of pointless turning charcoal into alumentum to burn at an inferior rate. Could use it as a way to use up coal from sifting, but I prefer to reserve that for turning into pyrotheum.

Edit: Hmm, actually, looks like that is false; alumentum burns 4x charcoal does, just like in a normal furnace, so it would definately be an improvement in efficiency, as well as more interesting to do. Well, there's my next project to take care of!

Last edited:

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mean Alumentum? If so, that is something I did not know. Might be interesting to tinker around with that, though if it's notably less efficient, might be kind of pointless turning charcoal into alumentum to burn at an inferior rate. Could use it as a way to use up coal from sifting, but I prefer to reserve that for turning into pyrotheum.
I did. Apologies, tired and frustrated with computer not working properly. I believe the Alumentum has a similar burn duration to a block of charcoal, but does not increase temperature as fast. I think it is likely better than a single piece of charcoal, and probably the more efficient fuel option. I would need to do more testing to be certain.

Azhrael

Jul 29, 2019
I did. Apologies, tired and frustrated with computer not working properly. I believe the Alumentum has a similar burn duration to a block of charcoal, but does not increase temperature as fast. I think it is likely better than a single piece of charcoal, and probably the more efficient fuel option. I would need to do more testing to be certain.

I dug into the code a bit, and from what I can see, and a bit of math, alumentum is about double the efficiency of individual charcoal, and about 5/6th that of charcoal blocks, based off of resources needed to make it. The blocks really do offer a substantial boost; there's really no reason not to use them in favor of normal charcoal. That said, I'll probably still go with alumentum, just for the fun of building the system.

Reactions: PurpleMentat

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
I dug into the code a bit, and from what I can see, and a bit of math, alumentum is about double the efficiency of individual charcoal, and about 5/6th that of charcoal blocks, based off of resources needed to make it. The blocks really do offer a substantial boost; there's really no reason not to use them in favor of normal charcoal. That said, I'll probably still go with alumentum, just for the fun of building the system.
Thanks for doing that research!

Kwequay

Jul 29, 2019
As a tip, if you get this as a quest reward, don't tell Jaded.
2014-04-30_20.52.00.jpg

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ya know, I've watched a lot of AS on YouTube and livestream via TwitchTV. Out of all of that, there is one mod in AS that gets barely any mention, or any use: Mariculture. So, when playing my world I thought I'd tinker with it, see if it had any neat toys. And hey, fish breeding to go with bees, trees, and butterflies!

Yeah, this thing really is coming off as half-assed in AS. And this makes me sad. Nearly no quests to help familiarize me with the mod, out of game documentation is out of date, in game documentation is not really sufficient. Oh, and one of the resources critical for the more advanced stuff is simply unavailable in AS. You need hard plastic for something? Sorry, nope.

Which is a shame. It is probably the one mod the majority of players in AS aren't familiar with. It isn't really popular, I've done some poking and there aren't a lot of LPers out there who use it, so it doesn't get the wide exposure it really should.

I am hoping that Jaded ends up fleshing out some more quests for Mariculture. A few quests to help walk people through fish breeding, a run through of the vat mechanics. A few on the jewelry mechanic. Something.

As an edit, and an aside:
When just starting out it is much, much easier NOT to build a magmatic dynamo to power your automatic sieving system. You sieve gravel, you get coal. I've found it is possible to supply an autonomous activator with all the gravel it needs using one steam dynamo powered strictly by the coal found by sieving.

The dynamo won't run very often, but it will run enough to have a pulverizer spit out enough gravel to keep 1 activator busy all the time.

Done right, you can set it up in a corner using zero fluid dudcts and 2 or 3 item ducts plus a pneumatic servo.

Last edited: