Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

firas55556

Jul 29, 2019
Am i mad to be scared to setup a Big reactor? All i've got for power is a array of magmatic engines. Which powers all my machines, my ME network + MAC and I've got alot of the quests done.
There is no danger with the reactors overheating(just fuel consumption) the steel costs are a little daunting and turbines have a top speed....

Xtremekiwi

Jul 29, 2019
In order to make steel to make a big reactor, you need a high oven? How does it work with smelteries, should I replace one or both of them? What if I don't want alloys? Basically, I need to find out about high ovens.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
In order to make steel to make a big reactor, you need a high oven? How does it work with smelteries, should I replace one or both of them? What if I don't want alloys? Basically, I need to find out about high ovens.
Do the quest that requires you to make the "Steelworking and You" book. Read that book. Profit.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Water is pretty much useless as a coolant. Barely better than nothing(air). With resonant ender and destabilized redstone, you only need source blocks on the top layer as flowing blocks cool any rods they are touching just as well as source blocks. With gelid cryotheum, you will need to fill the entire chamber as it flows to the next lower block if nothing is below the source block. I would go with resonant ender if you have enough. How many control rods are you using? If you don't have enough ender pearls, you can go with destabilized redstone as it is almost as good as ender and 90% as good as gelid. Either way, all 3 of these options will most likely double or even triple your output versus water or air cooled. In a pinch, you can use iron, gold, emerald and diamond blocks to fill the spaces in the interior of the reactor. Depending on layout, they can double output. Mineral.Ore blocks have to fill all air spaces in the reactor to be effective.

With some tinkering you can fill a 7x7x* reactor with a single bucket of liquid ender :D

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
But that isn't how it works. You need source blocks in every corner.

Actually the reactor code does not care if it is "still", "source" or "flowing" so long as it is touching the rod it will cool it. If you can find a way for a single bucket to touch all 4 walls of every rod from top to bottom then it should work, but I highly doubt it is possible with a 7x7 reactor that is setup with a 5 rod X format that is the most efficient for a 7x7. If someone can post a solution to the 7x7x7 reactor that I posted earlier that has 5 rods with fewer than 8 buckets of resonant ender and still have it output 11.5k rf/t then you get a virtual cookie :p

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Actually the reactor code does not care if it is "still", "source" or "flowing" so long as it is touching the rod it will cool it. If you can find a way for a single bucket to touch all 4 walls of every rod from top to bottom then it should work, but I highly doubt it is possible with a 7x7 reactor that is setup with a 5 rod X format that is the most efficient for a 7x7. If someone can post a solution to the 7x7x7 reactor that I posted earlier that has 5 rods with fewer than 8 buckets of resonant ender and still have it output 11.5k rf/t then you get a virtual cookie :p

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I use 4-rod reactor. So the bucket is right below of the block where the middle fuel rod controller would be if it was a 5-rod

Xtremekiwi

Jul 29, 2019
I just completed the final prerequisite for the quests that require getting loads of blocks (The ME quest). Some of them (glacial) look too easy, some (oak wood) are just a matter of setting up a planter/harvester/fertilizer setup, some (soul sand) can be done in a single trip to the nether if you're so inclined, and some...well, here's my reaction to "Cobble gen madness".
"Okay, what's this one? "Cobble gen madness"? Well, I got a cobble generator, this might be simple."
dvhqu8.png
"Hmmm. Only one block? This looks too easy. Let's just see how much is it..."
2drk80.png
"FOURTY THREE MILLION? Well, I've got a cobble gen running, maybe this isn't too bad..."
15cg7b9.png
"Well, looks like I'm gonna be on this one for a long time..."

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
I just completed the final prerequisite for the quests that require getting loads of blocks (The ME quest). Some of them (glacial) look too easy, some (oak wood) are just a matter of setting up a planter/harvester/fertilizer setup, some (soul sand) can be done in a single trip to the nether if you're so inclined, and some...well, here's my reaction to "Cobble gen madness".
"Okay, what's this one? "Cobble gen madness"? Well, I got a cobble generator, this might be simple."
dvhqu8.png
"Hmmm. Only one block? This looks too easy. Let's just see how much is it..."
2drk80.png
"FOURTY THREE MILLION? Well, I've got a cobble gen running, maybe this isn't too bad..."
15cg7b9.png
"Well, looks like I'm gonna be on this one for a long time..."
Look at the bright side: it used to be 100 :p

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
If you make a 7x7 you will want an X type with 5 rods for max efficiency. Here is a 7x7x7 setup.

Which gets 11.7k rf/t and really only needs 8 buckets of resonant ender. Four bucket in the inner spaces touching the rods and the other four in the corners of the reactor. Cheapest, best layout capable of running a laser drill with 4 pre-chargers and your typical high end factory with ME system and many machines. With 4 charger laser will harvest enough nether coal/sulfur/yellorium and other materials to keep it fueled and after about 20-40 hours you will have enough waste to get into steam turbines. Converted over to steam mode will give you enough steam to run four 7x7x12 steam turbines each outputting around 20k for a total of 80k if setup correctly.

Good luck!

How do you feed it with enough water? I tested on the first 3.0 version when steam turbines where released and for a 3x3x3 reactor I needed 3 extrautilities liquid nodes with several upgrades and it was BARELY enough

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
How do you feed it with enough water? I tested on the first 3.0 version when steam turbines where released and for a 3x3x3 reactor I needed 3 extrautilities liquid nodes with several upgrades and it was BARELY enough
Send water back from the turbine to the reactor

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, wtf am i doing wrong, it wont output the waste!
yQvxazq.png

P01TxTZ.png
spgyXQc.png

Do you have something to replace the waste with? Are you using 2 ports? One set to input and the other set to output. I think there is an issue with only trying to use a single port that might have been remedied in a newer version of Big Reactors. Which begs the question as to why we are on a version of BR that is 3-4 versions old?

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, wtf am i doing wrong, it wont output the waste!
yQvxazq.png

P01TxTZ.png
spgyXQc.png

Also, you might not have a full ingot worth of waste yet. The reactor will not eject until there is a full ingots worth. It is 1000 mb of waste per ingot. Hover over the yellow and blue bar and it will tell you the exact amounts. A reactor that small holds 4 ingots or 4000 mb of fuel/waste combo. It will not input or output until it has a full ingot to move around.

Reactions: Wagon153

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019

Using blocks it could be possible I think

I end up using the 7x7x7 and it's not enough power for me... I am building a second one beside :) (can't go higher anymore and don't know any really good design for larger...)

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I use 4-rod reactor. So the bucket is right below of the block where the middle fuel rod controller would be if it was a 5-rod

Nice idea, I tried a 4 rod 7x7x7 using a single bucket of resonant ender and placing then breaking blocks to force it to flow around all 4 rods made it work. Pretty nice setup. Most efficient use of materials I have seen yet. Produces 10.1k rf/t at 420% efficiency and only using a single bucket of coolant. Good Job!

Although if you have enough materials to create such a reactor, you probably have enough ender pearls or redstone dust to just fill all of the voids :p