Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My vacuum hopper wasn't transferring to an item duct on input mode, I had to power the input to empty the hopper. I was confused watching LPs when I'd see folks do that, until I tried it myself. I'll double check in case I goofed, but that's my results.

I don't remember where I saw it, but that's not be vacuum and dense mode work. They make the route calculation effectively 1000 shorter (vacuum) or 1000 longer (dense), so the pathing algorithm will try to take it first (vacuum mode) or prioritize it much lower (dense).
Yeah, some mods need the duct to be "powered", while others will transfer to "unpowered" ducts, some in output mode, some in normal mode. Bit inconsistent, just needs a bit of whacking with your tools until items start transferring.

You are right about the 1000 business, but for any sort of short network, is easier to remember that dense will be the last destination.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
rule of thumb: often if the machine will auto output to an inventory (chest) then unpowered will work otherwise you need powered

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I think you are misunderstanding what is happening. The Vacuum hoppers are transferring to the ducts, the ducts are not pulling out of the Hopper...

It's quite possible that I am misunderstanding something but if what you say above is true, then a duct with a valid destination connected to a vacuum hopper would NEVER show as stuffed. Mine did.

...Ducts are very easy to use and understand though. Default behaviour is that items will always go to the nearest valid inventory. You can change the behaviour of a duct by switching to either vacuum mode which means items must go down that duct path first (if there is a valid destination), or Dense which means items will only go down that route if there is no where else to go...

This may be what is stated as correct behaviour, but I cannot agree with it. I had a setup in my last AgS iteration where my bloodwood harvester kept getting backed-up with saplings, even though I had a blank QDS, trashcan, and nullifier as item dumps at the end of the run [all set as dense]. What made it even stranger was the duct output never showed as stuffed? The fix was adding another storage barrel for the saplings. Only then did items start flowing again. Remove that sapling barrel and the farm locked up again, even with all 3 dumps still connected.

I noticed it in my world after I had 3 crucibles, no automation, and no dynamos. Not sure what they are doing, but Minecraft/Java doesn't like it.

Also, since the version 3.1 update to the map, more people have reported lag issues, so there may be another issue going on in the background with some mod.

Seriously? I was hoping to run this iteration without going there at all (Sigh). Hehe, maybe that's why the Nether isn't a void dim then. Hidden workaround [that maybe shouldn't be as hidden].

Anyway, tks for the reply and infos. I've been in-game for a couple hrs so far and no lag spikes like before [knock-on-wood].

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
This may be what is stated as correct behaviour, but I cannot agree with it. I had a setup in my last AgS iteration where my bloodwood harvester kept getting backed-up with saplings, even though I had a blank QDS, trashcan, and nullifier as item dumps at the end of the run [all set as dense]. What made it even stranger was the duct output never showed as stuffed? The fix was adding another storage barrel for the saplings. Only then did items start flowing again. Remove that sapling barrel and the farm locked up again, even with all 3 dumps still connected.
Can you do a screenshot? As you really only need the one dense duct. Using the joys of Ascii Art

Code:
F----D
.BBBBT
F=Farm
- = Normal Duct
D = Dense Mode Duct
B = Barrel/Storage
T = Trash Can

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Can you do a screenshot? As you really only need the one dense duct. Using the joys of Ascii Art

Code:
F----D
.BBBBT
F=Farm
- = Normal Duct
D = Dense Mode Duct
B = Barrel/Storage
T = Trash Can

Screenies impossible as everything described as a problem was corrected and/or deleted world save. All I could give you now is my current build which is working so far [until I screw something up again].

Stronp

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone found a decent source of ardite? I've found a way of getting tons of cobalt, but that's kinda meh without having ardite by the side

Edit: also, is there an use for iridium aside from the ender quarry?

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone found a decent source of ardite? I've found a way of getting tons of cobalt, but that's kinda meh without having ardite by the side

Bees for everything.

About the iridium, not that I know of.

Stronp

Jul 29, 2019
A quest requires some, doesn't it?

Yes, but is There any use for crafting/use in machines that doesnt appear in NEI?

I remember back when Iridium was the rarest material in the entire game....

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

Its still hard to find naturally-spawning, but cross-mod mechanics allow for other ways of getting it :)

As for ardite i guess I'll have to go with bees >_< Not what i would like the most

Reactions: buggirlexpres

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
As for ardite i guess I'll have to go with bees >_< Not what i would like the most
Well, of you aren't opposed to visiting the nether, any ex nihilio type hammer can harvest ardite, great if you need a quick boost. Laser drills from mfr can also get ardite ore.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019

You can get Ardite from the MFR Laser Drill, and from sifting Soulsand, and, as mentioned above, bees. That said, I'm not sure why you would need it in quantity. Manyullyn is probably the best material for a weapon, but Cobalt tends to be better for tools.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
You can get Ardite from the MFR Laser Drill, and from sifting Soulsand, and, as mentioned above, bees. That said, I'm not sure why you would need it in quantity. Manyullyn is probably the best material for a weapon, but Cobalt tends to be better for tools.
You can also sift netherrack to get the broken form of cobalt and ardite.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
You can also sift netherrack to get the broken form of cobalt and ardite.
Edit: Doh! Reading fail...you were saying ALSO netherrack.

Soul sand, perhaps? I was running low in nether quartz, so started tossing the output of my sand->soul sand setup into my sieves and was picking up the occasional broken ardite and cobalt ore. Plus free ghost tears, and other goodies.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest source of lag is the Ex Nilo Crucibles generating all your lava. Try and reduce your lava requirements by using alternative fuel sources.
As far as alternative fuels, in my next run I'm going to attempt to use MFR's biofuel with biofuel generators and/or compression dynamos as my primary energy source as soon as I can, until I get a reactor going. Biofuel gens give 160RF/t while compression dynamos are pretty long-lasting, so with the right mix you get decent power for low cost.
What I've been doing elsewhere was testing to see which things will ferment in a BioReactor. Basically: saplings from all four vanilla trees plus rubber trees, potatoes and carrots, any vanilla seeds, mushrooms (red or brown), and any dye. With the amount of bonemeal and lapis you can get from sifting, combined with the amount of food you can get from a right-clicking AA farm, plus saplings from various tree farms, you should have little trouble keeping the BioReactor filled with enough different items to max its production (if necessary, you can also get bees going and then pick flowers to pulverize and cactus to cook for dyes). Just remember to lock it with redstone until you have the inventory filled properly with enough backstock to keep it running, since item transfer nodes (and thus the rationing pipe) are not available. That way it won't use up an entire stack and end up filling with the wrong item.

Unfortunately, TE itemducts don't send different items once a given network is backstuffed, so you'll have to either build a really wonky duct setup, or get AE going quickly in order to put a pair of interfaces or precision export buses on the BioReactor's sides. Thankfully with AE going, you can feed multiple BioReactors with little trouble. If you place a TE portable tank one block away from the BioReactor, you can place a comparator pointing from the tank to the BioReactor. When there's fluid in the tank, the comparator turns on, shutting off the BioReactor. This is useful for automated flow control, as you can then confirm that you have fuel, and shut off the BioReactor early on when you might not have enough materials. Alternately, you can place a block after the comparator, then a redstone torch on the block, to turn off the BioReactor when you don't have fuel -- or use that trick (comparator switching a redstone torch) on a chest feeding the BioReactor, to turn the reactor off when you don't have supplies.

People love their mod-based engineering, but sometimes vanilla Minecraft has some incredibly useful bits in it even with all these mods. I like to use a redstone setup mixed with a PRC to switch ExU solar generators on and off as they fill up or the sky gets too dark -- even better, use rednet with a CC computer for finer control if you've installed ComputerCraft.. but don't forget the comparators and a light sensor, or you can't read the status of the generators and light level for your system.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
So far so good. Switched over my bloodwood tree farm from on-site power gen to off-site, exporting all items and sludge. Power gen for 6 tree farms running entirely off bloodwood planks and still room for growth.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Doh! Reading fail...you were saying ALSO netherrack.

Soul sand, perhaps? I was running low in nether quartz, so started tossing the output of my sand->soul sand setup into my sieves and was picking up the occasional broken ardite and cobalt ore. Plus free ghost tears, and other goodies.
just to clarify: sifting netherrak produces broken cobalt&ardite, sifting soul sand produces crushed cobalt&ardite

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
How do you blacklist for more than 9 items on a container? Is it possible? Adding another blacklist seems to let in the items on the other blacklist. Whitelist for items I want to see in this inventory are already let in by the blacklist. I'm kinda stuck on this one.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
How do you blacklist for more than 9 items on a container? Is it possible? Adding another blacklist seems to let in the items on the other blacklist. Whitelist for items I want to see in this inventory are already let in by the blacklist. I'm kinda stuck on this one.
Whitelisting would be the obvious decision here....