Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Confirmed that neither molten nor blocks of tcon nether ores work. About to test turbines

Edit: aaand they don't work in turbines either.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna use Shiny then, according to that page they are almost as good as enderium and will not leave me with a bunch of extra coal dust.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.6.4 I have bait give -100 saturation when eaten... As for the questions...Several people have asked me that. I've helped a few of them but honestly it's gotten tiring now.
Doesn't dying reset saturation to a reasonable value?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Fluiducts split fluid output evenly across all exits. That means that while you might have a slight bonus over your magmatic dynamos, your drum is going to fill with the same amount each of your engines is. If that bonus is less than the even split between dynamos and drum, then your dynamos are going to repeatedly run out of lava instead of filling up, until the drum is full. So I'd go with the suggestion to pump lava into your drum, and from the drum to your dynamos. Then you can swap drums later on when it's full, and keep on rolling. Alternately, use Open Blocks tanks in a stack, attaching your overflow output to the upper tank and your dynamos to the lower one. That way you can use the excess lava when it comes, while your dynamos are always fully fueled.

Yeah. The more I use TE3 tubes to move things, the more I am coming to dislike this mod. Brand new world with 1 automated sifter, 1 tree farm, and 1 mob tower...and I'm already being crushed by tick lag. Ensured base is chunkloaded, switched out most of the longer runs with either Tesseracts or Impulse ducts and added an item/fluid drain at the end of each run. I must be missing something simple with how these TE3 tubes work. I just wish there was another option between TE3 tubes and AE in AgS.

As far as the lava gen goes, I need to redesign that anyway. In the future, I think I'll just let the dynamos have their own dedicated lava pool, and create another lava gen for the other uses. I really don't want to worry about my ore gen running out of power on top of the other problems I've been having with this pack. It'll be nice when I've finally gotten this all sorted...then I can have some fun again!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The biggest source of lag is the Ex Nilo Crucibles generating all your lava. Try and reduce your lava requirements by using alternative fuel sources.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest source of lag is the Ex Nilo Crucibles generating all your lava. Try and reduce your lava requirements by using alternative fuel sources.

and if you absolutely need to use crucibles, try other heat sources that'll be more efficient for the crucibles, that way you'll generate more lava with less crucibles

Reactions: Golrith

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. The more I use TE3 tubes to move things, the more I am coming to dislike this mod. Brand new world with 1 automated sifter, 1 tree farm, and 1 mob tower...and I'm already being crushed by tick lag. Ensured base is chunkloaded, switched out most of the longer runs with either Tesseracts or Impulse ducts and added an item/fluid drain at the end of each run. I must be missing something simple with how these TE3 tubes work. I just wish there was another option between TE3 tubes and AE in AgS.

As far as the lava gen goes, I need to redesign that anyway. In the future, I think I'll just let the dynamos have their own dedicated lava pool, and create another lava gen for the other uses. I really don't want to worry about my ore gen running out of power on top of the other problems I've been having with this pack. It'll be nice when I've finally gotten this all sorted...then I can have some fun again!

Use Opis and post your results, because that does not sound like it has anything to do with ducts.

Xtremekiwi

Jul 29, 2019
Use Opis and post your results, because that does not sound like it has anything to do with ducts.
So I need to find the mod page in the agrarian skies folder and just insert Opis (And MobiusCore) into the mod folder to be able to check for lag?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
and if you absolutely need to use crucibles, try other heat sources that'll be more efficient for the crucibles, that way you'll generate more lava with less crucibles
Good idea. I believe you can use Liquid Pyrithium as the best. That's something I need to do. No longer using Magmatic Dynamos and I've completed all the heavy smelting jobs, so just need enough lava to keep my sieving/ore processing going.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Good idea. I believe you can use Liquid Pyrithium as the best. That's something I need to do. No longer using Magmatic Dynamos and I've completed all the heavy smelting jobs, so just need enough lava to keep my sieving/ore processing going.

do watch out though for the pyrotheum, as it creates fire around itself when placed down into the world as a liquid.
also note that you can put down 1 source of pyrotheum, and it'll flow a few blocks, I think about 3 blocks away from the source
this way you can use several crucibles with a pyrotheum source, downside is that the efficiency goes down with flowing pyrotheum when compared with a source block of pyrotheum

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
do watch out though for the pyrotheum, as it creates fire around itself when placed down into the world as a liquid.
also note that you can put down 1 source of pyrotheum, and it'll flow a few blocks, I think about 3 blocks away from the source
this way you can use several crucibles with a pyrotheum source, downside is that the efficiency goes down with flowing pyrotheum when compared with a source block of pyrotheum
Not a problem, having completed almost all the Go with the Flow quests, making Pyrotheum is not a big deal :D

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Not a problem, having completed almost all the Go with the Flow quests, making Pyrotheum is not a big deal :D

you probably already know this, but for those who don't, thanks to added WAILA compatibility you're able to see the efficiency of crucibles with the WAILA tooltip
helpful to find out which heat sources give better efficiency

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019

Use Opis...<runs Opis>. Ok, now what? Seriously, thanks for the interest Jaded!

Right now, I don't have the time to learn how to use this tool. If there's a pastebin-like option for posting the results, it wasn't readily apparent to me. Opis says my tick is running ~4.5mS.

I'll tell you what I think my problems were. First, slow ducts. Output from mob tower was showing as stuffed. These have been replaced/shortened with Tesseracts & Impulse ducts. Second, Tesseract at mob farm collection was redstoned off [oops]. That's fixed. Last, XP orbs not being collected by sewer when sewer is full. For this, I connected a Nullifier at the end of the fluiduct run. This way, the sewer should never be full again and I can change this when I'm ready for the essence.

My tick lag was never a steady thing. It came in waves. Game would slowly grind to a crawl, stay there for a bit...and then speed back up. Some time later the process would repeat. More I think about it, more I think it was those damn XP orbs being uncollected and then despawning. Changes were made shortly before bed last night and haven't been in-game much to see if it's fixed.

~mini wall o' text warning-
Difference between this world and previous are a few. Different map [dunno if this matters or not] playing Flat now vs HSH prior. Mob Tower currently moved underneath main platform [my guess is it's producing more this way]. I'm not collecting XP orbs with this iteration where before I was. I also got sick of waiting for a legitly-obtained unbreakable scythe and finally figured out how to make one. So mob tower is constantly producing XP orbs and items.

So many items, in fact, that default ducts are too slow to keep up with the vacuum hopper collecting drops, even when connected to a Tesseract [my setup was literally 2 opaque ducts connected to a Tesseract with receiving Tesseract one tube away from 11 barrels, 4 filing cabinets, a chest, and a trashcan [duct set to dense]. ~20 opaque ducts with a drain at then end and vacuum hopper output showing stuffed!

Slow item movement should not equate to no room at destination [imo]. This is one of the probs I have with TE3 tubes. Another is it matters where you place the overflow terminus because sometimes it's not recognized. I could go on but then this would become an actual wall o' text [if it isn't already]. For me, at least, TE3 tubes aren't intuitive in how you should set them up. But then I dunno how they're supposed to actually work. I just use them as best I can.
~end~

If the tick lag returns, I'll learn how to use Opis and post the results.

10 Crucibles + 5 Dyanmos shouldn't be able to slow my system to a crawl.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
If the Crucibles are powered by fire, then, yes they can.

Java makes for a horrible 3D renderer[DOUBLEPOST=1406049434][/DOUBLEPOST]
I will be fixing this quest in the final "polish" release. If someone wants to make a list of any other derped quests to make sure I get them all please do, it would help a lot.
The "Show me a bucket of mob essence" quest is repeatable while the "feed me a stupid amount of mob essence" quest is not, following the pattern of the rest of the quests in "Go With the Flow" chapter, it should be reversed.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
So many items, in fact, that default ducts are too slow to keep up with the vacuum hopper collecting drops, even when connected to a Tesseract [my setup was literally 2 opaque ducts connected to a Tesseract with receiving Tesseract one tube away from 11 barrels, 4 filing cabinets, a chest, and a trashcan [duct set to dense]. ~20 opaque ducts with a drain at then end and vacuum hopper output showing stuffed!

Slow item movement should not equate to no room at destination [imo]. This is one of the probs I have with TE3 tubes. Another is it matters where you place the overflow terminus because sometimes it's not recognized. I could go on but then this would become an actual wall o' text [if it isn't already]. For me, at least, TE3 tubes aren't intuitive in how you should set them up. But then I dunno how they're supposed to actually work. I just use them as best I can.
I think you are misunderstanding what is happening. The Vacuum hoppers are transferring to the ducts, the ducts are not pulling out of the Hopper. Add more hoppers. I had a similar situation where 1 hopper couldn't keep up with all the item drops from the sieves, so now I have 3 all connected to one duct. Ducts will take any volume you can throw into them. I have 25 Igneous Extruders pumping into one duct system for the Cobblestone quest, and I will need to double that. No lag in that area.

TE3 ducts though are bit little bit unreliable at times due to the change to support FMP, mainly on the chunk boundaries.

Ducts are very easy to use and understand though. Default behaviour is that items will always go to the nearest valid inventory. You can change the behaviour of a duct by switching to either vacuum mode which means items must go down that duct path first (if there is a valid destination), or Dense which means items will only go down that route if there is no where else to go. Hence why having a trash can on the end of a duct system on dense mode will always stop backstuffing. It's basically the same transport system used by RedPower 2 and Mekanism.

10 Crucibles + 5 Dyanmos shouldn't be able to slow my system to a crawl.
I noticed it in my world after I had 3 crucibles, no automation, and no dynamos. Not sure what they are doing, but Minecraft/Java doesn't like it.

Also, since the version 3.1 update to the map, more people have reported lag issues, so there may be another issue going on in the background with some mod.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
I think you are misunderstanding what is happening. The Vacuum hoppers are transferring to the ducts, the ducts are not pulling out of the Hopper. Add more hoppers. I had a similar situation where 1 hopper couldn't keep up with all the item drops from the sieves, so now I have 3 all connected to one duct. Ducts will take any volume you can throw into them.

Ducts are very easy to use and understand though. Default behaviour is that items will always go to the nearest valid inventory. You can change the behaviour of a duct by switching to either vacuum mode which means items must go down that duct path first (if there is a valid destination), or Dense which means items will only go down that route if there is no where else to go. Hence why having a trash can on the end of a duct system on dense mode will always stop backstuffing.

I noticed it in my world after I had 3 crucibles, no automation, and no dynamos. Not sure what they are doing, but Minecraft/Java doesn't like it.

My vacuum hopper wasn't transferring to an item duct on input mode, I had to power the input to empty the hopper. I was confused watching LPs when I'd see folks do that, until I tried it myself. I'll double check in case I goofed, but that's my results.

I don't remember where I saw it, but that's not be vacuum and dense mode work. They make the route calculation effectively 1000 shorter (vacuum) or 1000 longer (dense), so the pathing algorithm will try to take it first (vacuum mode) or prioritize it much lower (dense).

Regarding crucibles, I would suggest grabbing a jetpack or flight potion, a tesseract, and an ender-thermic pump (plus 1 energy conduit and 1 fluiduct), then head to the nether ASAP and set them up as a replacement. If your need is low enough, you'll rarely have to go move it. If higher, well you'd be using a metric tons of crucibles then, which would be terrible for lag and strengthens the argument to setup a pump.