Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad these break so easy. After just a few trees my shears are used up and iron is in short supply.
But yes, leaves are the easiest way for composting

grayduster

Jul 29, 2019
Well, okay, but that is a lot of cyclic assemblers.

Yeah, I went with lots of cyclics myself (wasn't using a smeltery) - If you can pull the schematic out of a cyclic via itemducts, and find a way to round robin insert them back, you could cut it down to a single cyclic. Not sure if that's doable though.

Jul 29, 2019
Ok guys, another derp and this is the place to vent rage:
p5yZaw2.png

That is what happens when you try summon a blaze in a wooden barrel, and not stone >.<

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad these break so easy. After just a few trees my shears are used up and iron is in short supply.
But yes, leaves are the easiest way for composting

No shears can beat an early mob farm, gets you both bonemeal and flesh to compost and other stuff that is useful for later :p.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
No shears can beat an early mob farm, gets you both bonemeal and flesh to compost and other stuff that is useful for later :p.
I've been watching the direwolf20 + pahimar AS walkthrough. Pahimar made a mobfarm that had me scratching my head till it was "activated." (I couldn't imagine the mobs stupidly wandering onto the water from their large, safe platforms)

Frankly it blew my mind. I hate my noob mobfarm now.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I went with lots of cyclics myself (wasn't using a smeltery) - If you can pull the schematic out of a cyclic via itemducts, and find a way to round robin insert them back, you could cut it down to a single cyclic. Not sure if that's doable though.
I just put them in my MAC after all, and it took me all day to realize that the ores aren't being crafted because the Induction Smelter was full.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
Ok guys, another derp and this is the place to vent rage:
p5yZaw2.png

That is what happens when you try summon a blaze in a wooden barrel, and not stone >.<

OUCH!

Besides the blaze, what about putting lava inside a wooden container sounds right to you in the first place?

Reactions: immibis

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
I've been watching the direwolf20 + pahimar AS walkthrough. Pahimar made a mobfarm that had me scratching my head till it was "activated." (I couldn't imagine the mobs stupidly wandering onto the water from their large, safe platforms)

Frankly it blew my mind. I hate my noob mobfarm now.

Putting trap doors makes it even more efficient, because that way you dont rely on mobs pushing each other off. Also there is far more efficient design. Watch GennyB's episode 7 or 8 I think it was where he shows his design.

Btw: With the most recent update there is a 8th quest tab, forgot how it was called, nor know how to unlock it since I started from scratch because I didnt like my progression and how I tried to not add much platforms at all, making stupidly unplayable area.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
Putting trap doors makes it even more efficient, because that way you dont rely on mobs pushing each other off. Also there is far more efficient design. Watch GennyB's episode 7 or 8 I think it was where he shows his design.

You can also use buttons, signs, micro blocks and a few others to trick the mobs into walking off the edges. Later you can replace water channels with conveyor belts. Even later you can skip the funneling of mobs altogether and just have a large dark room with MfR Grinders along the walls to cover the area.[DOUBLEPOST=1397746586][/DOUBLEPOST]
You mean replacing the floor with trapdoors? I gather ideally it would be redstone-clocked to auto-open them occassionally.

Trap doors at the edge where you want them to fall into water, onto conveyor belts or into your long drop. Mobs see retracted trap doors as being a full block and try to walk onto them and just fall through. You can also use a "shifting floor" design with pistons and timers, but that is more for vanilla where you don't have the tools available to you in this mod pack. Youtube has some great videos all about different mob farms.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
When starting off, you often get rain on the first night so be ready with the barrels :p

Also, for a starting boost, get hell's kitchen done asap and make 2 shears. This will get you around 40 dirt, enough for a cobble gen and expanding your farms.

Reactions: KKeys

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
When starting off, you often get rain on the first night so be ready with the barrels :p

Also, for a starting boost, get hell's kitchen done asap and make 2 shears. This will get you around 40 dirt, enough for a cobble gen and expanding your farms.

Food quests lead you to ways of getting hunger satisfied in efficient ways like turning 1 wheat into 1 bread instead of using 3 by making flour and dough. I definitely agree with getting shears as early as possible as the amount of dirt you get allows you to get a decent wheat farm going early and if sieved into stones and made into cobble, hammered into gravel then sieved to get broken ores put together to get ore gravel then hammered to get ore sand then hammered to get ore dust then cooked into ingots.... One set of shears will get you enough iron to make 2-3 new shears plus all the extra stuff you get out of the process. Win Win..

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
You mean replacing the floor with trapdoors? I gather ideally it would be redstone-clocked to auto-open them occassionally.
Mobs have basic AI that tries to prevents them from walking off things that count as 'ledges' without reason, but blocks with trapdoors (or signs, or a few other block types) don't count as ledges to the AI. So if you line the drop hole and canals with trapdoors or signs, the mobs will drop into the water much faster as long as you're within distance. Just leave them open and generally unconnected to redstone (unless you want an off switch). This becomes more important with larger mob grinders.

In practice, I'd recommend going straight to an MFR Conveyer-based system directly once you've got a furnace and smeltery -- they're not that expensive to make a stack -- and are a bit simpler to set up. More importantly, they can also grind Endermen if you set up a 3-block tall darkroom, and Ender Pearls are vastly more important at the early skyblock stages.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Mobs have basic AI that tries to prevents them from walking off things that count as 'ledges' without reason, but blocks with trapdoors (or signs, or a few other block types) don't count as ledges to the AI. So if you line the drop hole and canals with trapdoors or signs, the mobs will drop into the water much faster as long as you're within distance. Just leave them open and generally unconnected to redstone (unless you want an off switch). This becomes more important with larger mob grinders.
^ ahhhhhh. Thanks :)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I read that they patched out that effect with signs but trapdoors still work fine. Bonus for trapdoors is that they make it easier to finish/adjust the mob trap. :)

Grunden

Jul 29, 2019
once you get some iron make some shears and compost leaves

I'd argue it is the best use for your first two iron. Even better, since you probably have a ferrous ingot at that point, make them invar shears which last longer. Note that sheared leaves still drop saplings at the vanilla rate. That'll net you enough dirt to get a decent farm going.

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still new to Agrarian Skies and I'm finding it really fun, the biggest problem I have been having is getting things to compost.
If you mean they won't compost, make sure the barrel is completely full.

If you're running out of things to compost, make a vanilla-style mob farm. Rotten Flesh makes great composting material.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
If you mean they won't compost, make sure the barrel is completely full.

If you're running out of things to compost, make a vanilla-style mob farm. Rotten Flesh makes great composting material.

You can also add different composting materials to a single barrel, so if you don't have enough leaves to fill it up, add something else to top it off.