Age of Engineering Series!

C

Closet Gamer

!!FUN!! Of course, I'm a Dwarf Fortress player, so my definition of fun is a bit skewed.
Man I love that game, it's insanely additive. Have you seen the new game from the Zachtronics?(creators of Spacechem and ShenzenIO) it's called Opus Magnum http://www.zachtronics.com/opus-magnum/
Looks to be all about automation and timing but as with most Zachtronics games there are hidden depths :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

C

Closet Gamer

Episode 30! I can't be the only one that was terrified I would die in quick sand when I was growing up?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Build a nuclear reactor they said... It'll be fun they said...
f4a4d21f2b7eb29983c67af1e63010a1.jpg

Daaaaamn dude! Test world?

No, I'm talking about a very hot design, that's allowed to cool off when the timer runs out. Last time I did it, I used concentric, alternating rings of Hull Plating and Quad fuel rods.

Oh wow so I actually wasn't a million miles away then!

Episode 30! I can't be the only one that was terrified I would die in quick sand when I was growing up?

Woop-woop! :D And no, no you weren't. I was scared of a lot of things. Weirdly nuclear apocalypse was a lot more heavily on my mind than it probably should have been as a kid.

C

Closet Gamer

Daaaaamn dude! Test world?

Woop-woop! :D And no, no you weren't. I was scared of a lot of things. Weirdly nuclear apocalypse was a lot more heavily on my mind than it probably should have been as a kid.

Yes luckily a test world, melons everywhere! That was the result of putting the wrong voltage in the mass fabricator. Didn't realise they were so explosive!

Nuclear apocalypse! Me too! Child if the 80's?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yes luckily a test world, melons everywhere! That was the result of putting the wrong voltage in the mass fabricator. Didn't realise they were so explosive!
It always seems daft to me that the MassFab isn't higher tier. I swear they just do that to screw with you.

Nuclear apocalypse! Me too! Child if the 80's?
Yep! So that wasn't just me then? :p

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019

For me it was the 'undertow' when we used to go to Southend for weekends (my cousins lived there).

PS Did you get sorted with GP? It's passive and nothing to do with RF. The more you've got, the more extrautils machines and upgrades you can use.

The lava mills will give you 2GP for each side that has lava, so you can get 8GP for each mill (not sure if you can put lava above and below). Same for the water mills but you need flowing water (not source blocks) touching the sides. There's some nice setups for getting the most out of them in the least space - a quick google will help with that!

PPS I've never used the wireless transmitter so not sure how best to use that, but it doesn't help to power the extrautils blocks themselves.

C

Closet Gamer

For me it was the 'undertow' when we used to go to Southend for weekends (my cousins lived there).

PS Did you get sorted with GP? It's passive and nothing to do with RF. The more you've got, the more extrautils machines and upgrades you can use.

The lava mills will give you 2GP for each side that has lava, so you can get 8GP for each mill (not sure if you can put lava above and below). Same for the water mills but you need flowing water (not source blocks) touching the sides. There's some nice setups for getting the most out of them in the least space - a quick google will help with that!

PPS I've never used the wireless transmitter so not sure how best to use that, but it doesn't help to power the extrautils blocks themselves.

I grew up in Margate, I remember when I was about 13 I was in the sea with one of my pal's. We got swept out pretty far! It was terrifying! Luckily the coast guard paddled out in his kayak and asked us wtf we were playing at lol

Ah my beloved GP, yea I think I got it sorted, I watched a guide and read the wiki (for once lol). I'm gonna setup a ton of watermills chunk loaded in the mining dimension :)

C

Closet Gamer

It always seems daft to me that the MassFab isn't higher tier. I swear they just do that to screw with you.

Yep! So that wasn't just me then? :p
Yea they did that on purpose I think! It needs tons of power but is tier3!? What the hell...

No mate, your not alone. And the ghost in the library from ghost busters scored pretty high with me at the time too xD

C

Closet Gamer

Closet gamer is in France! But that cannot stand in the way of progress! So Bonjour Rodney and here is episode 31! Uranium processing :)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I had another potential tip that occurred to me today!

If you're getting close to needing IC2 reinforced stone (needs IC2 scaffolding, made with metal fences and iron plates, and construction foam, made with CF powder and water in a machine - can't remember which Fluid/solid canning machine - cheers @KingTriaxx!), something that might make your life quicker and easier is the Actually Additions drill. You've already made one, for the vertical digger, and I reckon you're resource-rich enough now to consider investing in a new one. I'd recommend getting the 3x3 and 5x5 upgrades for it, and if you can afford it all 3 speed upgrades (you need the lower levels for the top tier to work) too.

Why? Because the reinforced stone can take bloody AGES to break, and if you stack it in a 5x5 and aim for the middle block horizontally and 2nd block up vertically of the 5x5, all 25 should break at once. That's if its needed for recipes; if you are going to put it around your reactor, you could just create it in place, that would work :)

Last edited:
C

Closet Gamer

I had another potential tip that occurred to me today!

If you're getting close to needing IC2 reinforced stone (needs IC2 scaffolding, made with metal fences and iron plates, and construction foam, made with CF powder and water in a machine - can't remember which Fluid/solid canning machine - cheers @KingTriaxx!), something that might make your life quicker and easier is the Actually Additions drill. You've already made one, for the vertical digger, and I reckon you're resource-rich enough now to consider investing in a new one. I'd recommend getting the 3x3 and 5x5 upgrades for it, and if you can afford it all 3 speed upgrades (you need the lower levels for the top tier to work) too.

Why? Because the reinforced stone can take bloody AGES to break, and if you stack it in a 5x5 and aim for the middle block horizontally and 2nd block up vertically of the 5x5, all 25 should break at once. That's if its needed for recipes; if you are going to put it around your reactor, you could just create it in place, that would work :)

I swear to god you are a mind reader. Apologies, I missed your post. I spent most of last night trying to figure out how to make reinforced stone for the IC2 pattern storage, only to come here and find it nicely written out for me! Haha typical.

Did you know, once you have sprayed the scaffold with construction foam you can right click with some sand to speed up the drying process!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Did you know if you use construction foam on an IC2 cable, it will hide it away? And then once you have it down, I'm pretty sure it can be painted with the Painter.

Reactions: Closet Gamer
C

Closet Gamer

Did you know if you use construction foam on an IC2 cable, it will hide it away? And then once you have it down, I'm pretty sure it can be painted with the Painter.
I didn't know that, but I did think the CF sprayer was going to be a slow fire extinguisher style tool, instead it spurted out everywhere and half my house got covered in construction foam! xD

Here is episode 32 - +10 internet points if you also had a tango doll

------------------------
*Never be afraid to ask when you do not understand*
------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I swear to god you are a mind reader. Apologies, I missed your post. I spent most of last night trying to figure out how to make reinforced stone for the IC2 pattern storage, only to come here and find it nicely written out for me! Haha typical.

Did you know, once you have sprayed the scaffold with construction foam you can right click with some sand to speed up the drying process!
I did! :) it works very effectively. You can also spray the foam just by itself and it looks pretty cool once dry.

I had a feeling you'd need the reinforced stone ;)

I never had a tango doll, but I remember there being a big fuss and those adverts being pulled... or perhaps it was the ones before those. I know there were some people who were slapping around the ears instead of the cheeks, and causing actual ear damage!

Do you remember Boglins though?

Weird bloody things.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I would like to say it's possible to left-click and get only a single block, but my memory might be thinking of something else. (Probably something Thaumcraft related.)

I'd never heard of it, and now the Google search will haunt my nightmares. Thank you.

C

Closet Gamer

I did! :) it works very effectively. You can also spray the foam just by itself and it looks pretty cool once dry.

I had a feeling you'd need the reinforced stone ;)

I never had a tango doll, but I remember there being a big fuss and those adverts being pulled... or perhaps it was the ones before those. I know there were some people who were slapping around the ears instead of the cheeks, and causing actual ear damage!

Do you remember Boglins though?

Weird bloody things.

I vividly remember my dad giving me £5 pocket money and spending the lot on boglins. I got 2 silvers and a gold that day! Twas a good day!

Aha, now you mention it I remember slapping people like the tango guy got a number of people expelled from my school, that and scrambling people's pogs xD

I would like to say it's possible to left-click and get only a single block, but my memory might be thinking of something else. (Probably something Thaumcraft related.)

I'd never heard of it, and now the Google search will haunt my nightmares. Thank you.
Glad I left you with some lasting memories haha

------------------------
*Never be afraid to ask when you do not understand*
------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I am back, I got banned. :(
A reactor I see. Hmmmmmmmm, god I miss the days of IE cables converting to EU Power.