A Shitstorm

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still bad for multi-player as there will be some who will stick with it and be left behind

That's the player's choice though. Do they value competing with other players, or do they value complex builds? I would have to question why a server based around competition would be running a complex RF mod in the first place though.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure what is worse in this hypothetical situation honestly. Use only RF, or use only essentia. I would hate both, I know that much.

Edit: Seriously guys, keep the off-topic and picture posting to a minimum.
We're so great :p

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure what is worse in this hypothetical situation honestly. Use only RF, or use only essentia. I would hate both, I know that much.

Edit: Seriously guys, keep the off-topic and picture posting to a minimum.
I have a feeling this is the new NTT.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I have a feeling this is the new NTT.
but the NTT was locked :(

EDIT: Double Ninja'd
That's the player's choice though. Do they value competing with other players, or do they value complex builds? I would have to question why a server based around competition would be running a complex RF mod in the first place though.
true true...I don't know, there are so many scenarios it is almost impossible to generalize them...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
And meanwhile, magic mods, like Blood Magic and Botania, continue to innovate, because they are not limited by a unified power system.

I sincerely think that these unified power systems (even EU and MJ) are killing creativity. TE and RF were amazing, because they brought out a new style of play. But now, RF is taking over everything, and there are less and less mods that go out of their way to make an advanced power system. I like that RF exists, as there does need to be plug and play style mods, for people who want them. But it shouldn't all be plug and play. There should be other options, continueing to be created.
I would have to most emphatically disagree.

RF is not a restrictive API like MJ is. It does not limit innovation in the least. Also, you seem to be equating RF with 'plug and play', when this is not a correct corollary. TE was plug and play, but RF is not limited to plug and play style. That is a function of the mod implementing it, not a function of the API.

Honestly, someone needs to come up with a complex RF mod just to put these fallacies to bed so people can get on with playing minecraft.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't weighed in on this because I almost feel like it's not my place to.

But here's the thing: RF shouldn't be the only power system. Period. If it doesn't fit *thematically* in the mod, it shouldn't be used. It works in TE; it works for "Minecrafty" things. That was the entire point. I took Minecraft physics and ran with them. I do electricity for a living and know more about it than the vast majority of people alive on this planet, by an absurd amount. I didn't want to replicate that in Minecraft.

And while I know I'm repeating salient points from earlier in the thread, I'll throw some sentences out, since they carry a disproportionate amount of weight simply because I'm the one saying them (which is unfortunate, but how things go):

RF isn't electricity, it doesn't "fit" in RoC and GT. They shouldn't use it. End of story. Nobody should bother them to convert to it. It's a very simple API and it can be extremely optimized and customized, but nobody has really done it yet. TE's ducts will be slightly more complex in their next iteration, hence why they're taking a while. ;)

Having said all that, I'm still going to call out @Strikingwolf for the FUD being spread around here.

Yes, if you check Opis in 1.6.4, you'll notice that TE's grid tick handler can occasionally go insane. You can cherry pick that and then cry that the sky is falling and that I'm a big giant liar. Don't do that. You are better than that. The bug is FMP in origin, it's limited to conduits (ducts), and has absolutely nothing to do with RF. I've seen your posts - you are not a stupid person, so please stop conflating an FMP-induced TE grid handler bug with inefficiencies in the API itself.

Thanks.

So in summary, it's a sandbox. Everyone chill. The API is whatever you make of it. Also, I'm getting a degree and no longer have time for this nonsense. Try not to burn the house down, thanks.

TL,DR: No. That wasn't all that long. Go back and read it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Honestly, someone needs to come up with a complex RF mod just to put these fallacies to bed so people can get on with playing minecraft.

This. I have a problem with RF as it currently stands. If several people were to finally go against the mold and create a complex RF mod in terms of power gen and management, I would see it as a step in the right direction. I still dislike the "one system to rule them all" feeling RF has, but that's a personal thing / disagreements with certain things that aren't worth mentioning.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?

But here's the thing: RF shouldn't be the only power system. Period. If it doesn't fit *thematically* in the mod, it shouldn't be used. It works in TE; it works for "Minecrafty" things. That was the entire point. I took Minecraft physics and ran with them. I do electricity for a living and know more about it than the vast majority of people alive on this planet, by an absurd amount. I didn't want to replicate that in Minecraft.

And while I know I'm repeating salient points from earlier in the thread, I'll throw some sentences out, since they carry a disproportionate amount of weight simply because I'm the one saying them (which is unfortunate, but how things go):

RF isn't electricity, it doesn't "fit" in RoC and GT. They shouldn't use it. End of story. Nobody should bother them to convert to it. It's a very simple API and it can be extremely optimized and customized, but nobody has really done it yet. TE's ducts will be slightly more complex in their next iteration, hence why they're taking a while. ;)

Having said all that, I'm still going to call out @Strikingwolf for the FUD being spread around here.

Yes, if you check Opis in 1.6.4, you'll notice that TE's grid tick handler can occasionally go insane. You can cherry pick that and then cry that the sky is falling and that I'm a big giant liar. Don't do that. You are better than that. The bug is FMP in origin, it's limited to conduits (ducts), and has absolutely nothing to do with RF. I've seen your posts - you are not a stupid person, so please stop conflating an FMP-induced TE grid handler bug with inefficiencies in the API itself.

Thanks.

So in summary, it's a sandbox. Everyone chill. The API is whatever you make of it. Also, I'm getting a degree and no longer have time for this nonsense. Try not to burn the house down, thanks.

nice statement. i agree with this.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019

Yes, if you check Opis in 1.6.4, you'll notice that TE's grid tick handler can occasionally go insane. You can cherry pick that [and then cry that the sky is falling and that I'm a big giant liar. Don't do that. You are better than that. The bug is FMP in origin, it's limited to conduits (ducts), and has absolutely nothing to do with RF. I've seen your posts - you are not a stupid person, so please stop conflating an FMP-induced TE grid handler bug with inefficiencies in the API itself.

Thanks.

> Implying that Strikingwolf was the first to do that

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, didn't know that API inefficiency
I'm so sorry if it sounded like that
although this is also true

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Thanks.

Ignoring that aspect then, I still see Cyclic Assemblers at the top of several lists in comparison to mods that people swear are performance killers, like RotaryCraft. It isn't limited to just the grid handler.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks.

Also, thanks for stating your point of view :)

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

I wasn't going to blame you, but if you want to step up and also admit that you conflated the two in a rather obtuse manner, then alright...

Point is, TE != RF. And you can like or dislike either or both of them and it doesn't affect me in any way. It's your opinion, your game, and your sandbox. Game on.

Reactions: Skyqula

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but like I said, those people clearly didn't want the complicated content in the first place, or at least didn't value it as highly as they do competing with other people.
Player choice is important. Every mod should have very detailed config options to allow any type of player to enjoy the mod. If it floats your boat to make a bucket of UU matter with 1 EU, you should have that option.

On a multiplayer server, it is different. If you are using an "overpowered" mod, cross-mods, exploits, etc, then it affects the other players on the server. For example: You are using a mod capable of duplicating blocks within a week of playtime. The other players are using mods that take a month to duplicate blocks. You have an enormous advantage in this situation. Your massive growth will have an impact on the world and server economy.

Reactions: immibis

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't going to blame you, but if you want to step up and also admit that you conflated the two in a rather obtuse manner, then alright...

Point is, TE != RF. And you can like or dislike either or both of them and it doesn't affect me in any way. It's your opinion, your game, and your sandbox. Game on.
If this thread doesn't get locked soon IDK what the mods are doing :p
No one summon law! The discussion is good for ideas for the mod

Reactions: midi_sec
Status
Not open for further replies.