A Shitstorm

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
No name-calling
Quick intro: If you are too moronic to not read this post and choose simply to shout and complain in the comments below, feel free to do so. The rest of the civil, and literate people will understand that you are a total asshole and are most likely incapable of reading sentences with words longer than two syllables. Moderators, feel free to chime in and lock this thread as necessary, if it indeed, lives up to its name.

Also note that this is by no means a complete and objective guide on what happened and why we should care. I did my best, but feel free to comment on anything that I missed.

So. Recent events have sparked the need for a full blown discussion.
Railcraft and Forestry are going away from MJ for their power systems. It appears that after long last, the RF system introduced by Thermal Expansion is about to take over the world. People run, screaming, back to their homes and hide their children.

Well, maybe I should be careful to make this thread not live up to its name.

Anyway, all of this stuff swirling up around the so-called "survival" of MJ is getting some people very happy and others quite angry. I, personally, do not like RF as a system. I love actually thinking about things, worrying about whether machines will receive enough power, or how to properly set up a factory so that things run smoothly. In its current state, with the current set of mods using it, RF simply does not allow that. MJ, before the current implementation without power loss, required compact systems (or really powerful ones). In the current implementation, however, it goes for a different approach (which I quite like) where systems can sprawl without power loss, yet you need to consider the placement of power hungry machines and what machines accept what power. MJ is simple, yet requires thought and care to set up a system. This is also why I prefer EU/GT eNet over RF as well, because I don't like lossless cables that can handle pretty much anything and that require very little thought or effort to set up.

That being said, most of that was my opinion. More on that later.

Now on to the facts:

https://github.com/ForestryMC/ForestryMC/issues/161

CovertJaguar put this up on the Forestry GitHub two days ago. He writes:
I'm giving this my blessing.

In my eyes I no longer see any difference between the MJ and RF APIs. The MJ API is quickly falling to the same level as the RF API. However, since it is a significantly more complicated API that is currently suffering an identify crisis and riddled with bugs, I recommend that Forestry drops all support for the MJ API effective immediately.

The MJ API currently used by Forestry has been demonstrated to no longer be properly supported nor, functioning correctly. Switching to the MJBattery API would require a similar amount of effort as switching to RF. RF seems the better choice.

All engines and machines should be rewritten to natively support RF. Railcraft will likely be following the same path eventually.

However, as we do not want to add a hard dependency on any external code, an internal API that allows Forestry Engines to provide power directly to Forestry Machines should be developed. This API should not be made public, but should be the default for engine-machine interfacing, falling back on RF only if the internal API fails.

Ok now back to opinion. I hate RF. I am bored with RF. RF is shallow and dull to me. KingLemming and all those who worked on RF are brilliant, the API is solid, and I understand that people love their Redstone flux, but I, alongside plenty others, do not like it.

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like it Sam I am.

For me, the fun part in power systems is the act of putting them together in such a way that you have to consider a few main things:

Loss
Storage
Danger
Efficiency

In a system that doesn't model electricity (like RF and MJ), these are important. Does the system have loss? How do you store power? Is there danger to doing it wrong? Is there incentive to be efficient?

I feel that RF does not deliver on those ends in terms of incentivising efficiency and thought while building. Therefore, I feel that the transition to RF is a net loss for the community. Although RF:MJ is a simple 10:1 conversion, and that MJ no longer has power loss, MJ still requires thought and setup. You need gates and different sets of pipes to make a build work properly and still be efficient. Therefore, I feel that since the Buildcraft API's current implementation of MJ as a power system is deemed insufficient and that Redstone flux is the way forward for systems not modeled on electricity (mostly), we need to consider what this entails. We are potentially losing a very interesting power system and replacing it with a robust, yet simple one. I hope that we do not forget this and that people at least recognize this. Whether you like to just plug in a magical cable and play or not, losing MJ could mean a serious loss for the Modded Minecraft community.

--

This was not my finest writing, but I got tired of rewriting things over and over again. Therefore, that was my two cents. Now give me yours. Do you like RF? Do you like MJ? How could we approach this problem? Can we build mods to model MJ, yet still built off of RF? What does this mean for Buildcraft? Buildcraft pipes? Where do we go forward from here?

leFedoraMan

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what your problem is. RF is the best system there is, no comparison to MJ. You want to think in your freetime? GO install GregTech and play Grindcraft.

TechFan

Jul 29, 2019
Why does it matter so much? Its just numbers representing how much coal/ect you have burned.
Seriously, If you think "these" are just numbers, maybe you should play in creative. The tech-mod concept should be making minecraft more of a challendge, and providing tools to accomplish that challendge. Not just "get diamonds from coal".

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Seriously, If you think "these" are just numbers, maybe you should play in creative. The tech-mod concept should be making minecraft more of a challendge, and providing tools to accomplish that challendge. Not just "get diamonds from coal".

I fail to see how "go play creative" is supposed to be an insult. Some people don't want to focus on power gen in their world, and @epidemia78 seems to be in that group. There's nothing wrong with that.

TechFan

Jul 29, 2019
I fail to see how "go play creative" is supposed to be an insult. Some people don't want to focus on power gen in their world, and @epidemia78 seems to be in that group. There's nothing wrong with that.
I never said it was wrong, nor it was intended as an insult. What I mean i, that the playerbase shapes the development. ANd if the players tendency is having "magic block X" doing all the work for him, maybe he should not try to actively shape development of a mod.

leFedoraMan

Jul 29, 2019
I never said it was wrong, nor it was intended as an insult. What I mean i, that the playerbase shapes the development. ANd if the players tendency is having "magic block X" doing all the work for him, maybe he should not try to actively shape development of a mod.
LOL why should YOU care how I play? We like the new awesome system, it is easy to understand, easy to comprehend, and most of all, it does not force us to do stuff like they want. Please, just keep your opinion to yourself.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
My idea of a good system is the following:

A cable can carry x amount of power without reaching y amount of ohms if y amount of ohms is reached the cable looses z% of power. So certain cables will have different values. This will allow more powerful cables to carry currents longer distances without losing power. To get rid of ohms put the cable through a moderately expensive repeater for the power system.[DOUBLEPOST=1409507974][/DOUBLEPOST]
LOL why should YOU care how I play? We like the new awesome system, it is easy to understand, easy to comprehend, and most of all, it does not force us to do stuff like they want. Please, just keep your opinion to yourself.
This should be a civil debate no harsh comments should be exchanged.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

That's great. You can keep playing it, no one is saying you aren't allowed to. But insulting GT and people who like it isn't keeping your opinion to yourself, and is saying that your opinion is the only correct one. Please, take your own advice in this matter as well.

leFedoraMan

Jul 29, 2019
Sure, sorry, I am new here, he made me really angry with his statements. But come on, everyone loves RF?

TechFan

Jul 29, 2019
Now also I do love the voltage "blow up" thing that GT has and IC2 used to have. I also like systematic internal energy loss and many other things. I do believe the highest tier of anything should have an energy loss.
Sadly, ic2 experimental has it's ups and downs with the enet right now, and losses are disabled. THe latest GT 5.0 is great though.

leFedoraMan

Jul 29, 2019
WEll, I mean, there are always people who dislike stuff. It's not bad. But why do they always have to hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.