A Shitstorm

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
Player choice is important. Every mod should have very detailed config options to allow any type of player to enjoy the mod. If it floats your boat to make a bucket of UU matter with 1 EU, you should have that option.

On a multiplayer server, it is different. If you are using an "overpowered" mod, cross-mods, exploits, etc, then it affects the other players on the server. For example: You are using a mod capable of duplicating blocks within a week of playtime. The other players are using mods that take a month to duplicate blocks. You have an enormous advantage in this situation. Your massive growth will have an impact on the world and server economy.

Yes? Obviously if your goal is to compete with other players than you have to use the most "op option." That doesn't mean other options shouldn't exist for people who don't give a damn about what their neighbor has.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Implying that the thread is his fault? No. He didn't start it nor am I assigning any sort of blame to anyone for the existence of this thread. I see this as a somewhat reasonable debate thread with a rather sensational title.
This thread is definitely my fault as I may have brought the PT here :p. Though that is beside the point

Reactions: buggirlexpres

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
So you won't try to investigate the problem that you know exists because noone reports it?

Problem is this, all I get is "Hey man your stuff is laggy."

I need a modlist. I need logs. I need *something.* Maybe a world save. Don't be dense - you know how many combinations and permutations of conditions exist in modded MC.

Let's go back a couple of patches. If someone said, "OMG your GUI errors out all the time" and then NEVER provides me a modlist, we never would have found out that RailCraft's hidden heat block triggers a fundamental error in vanilla's code which Forge failed to patch.

There is a huge difference between hearing a rumor and receiving a bug report. Again, I have never received a proper report. Care to provide one?

EDIT to emphasize: This is a hell of a corner case. 99% of everyone goes about their days just fine. If this were a universal, server-killing lag-box, we'd see it every time. It's setup specific and nobody cares to share their setups with me. See the problem yet?

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
So you won't try to investigate the problem that you know exists because noone reports it?
A problem that is probably nearly impossible to replicate or find, and in 1.6. And honestly, I have seen Blood Magic armor, Galacticraft pipes, Translocators, AE Interfaces and even zombies all lag out servers in niche cases. That Cyclic Assembler pic didn't phase me.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
A problem that is probably nearly impossible to replicate or find, and in 1.6. And honestly, I have seen Blood Magic armor, Galacticraft pipes, Translocators, AE Interfaces and even zombies all lag out servers in niche cases. That Cyclic Assembler pic didn't phase me.
Sure 'bout that?

Reactions: buggirlexpres

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
That's because all tech mods do, even as far out as RoC, is automated this, automated that, smelted X stupid amount of items, multiply ores by Y stupid number and instantly mine massive areas. They have all regressed to pure power creep in terms of what they can actually do.
That is why one mod will always be superior to another. Forestry and MFR are both used for automated crop and trees. But, compared to Forestry, MFR is much cheaper, takes less space, is less complex and produces more. Thus, people tend to use MFR instead.

However, both MFR and TE have extensive config options. TE allows you to customize the RF production of every fuel. MFR allows you to adjust the energy consumption of every machine. Thus, you can easily change both to suit your playstyle. Ideally TE would allow the customization of machine energy consumption too. But, I commend @King Lemming for allowing such accessible alteration of his mod.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
That is what all major mods to, when you boil it right down.
ExtraUtilities watering can, OpenBlocks sprinkler, RC sprinklers, Timewood clocks, Lilypad of fertility, Arcane Fertility Lamp, RC fertilizer, Time Torches, they all do the same thing.
Same with the pulverizer, macerator, AE grinder, RC grinder and extractor, and any other ore processor you care to name.
Or the Borer, Quarry, EnderQuarry, Tunnel Bore, Arcane Bore, et cetera.

Point is, all mods ultimately are there to add features to help with gameplay. Truly innovative ideas, like AE or bee breeding, are extremely rare and tend to be very quickly copied if possible. Much more common is taking a new approach to old ideas, or significantly improving upon the existing systems.
I am aware of this. My point is that the vast majority of these rare innovative ideas are coming from magic mods right now. The last big one I could name for tech mods was your Fusion Reactor.

Sure 'bout that?
Nope!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I am aware of this. My point is that the vast majority of these rare innovative ideas are coming from magic mods right now. The last big one I could name for tech mods was your Fusion Reactor.
That is probably because magic mods are less bounded than tech mods are. Magic mods can implement essentially anything they want, and its existence can be handwaved away as "Arcane thingynumberfiftythree". A tech mod, particualrly one with a rigid design aesthetic, has a far harder time doing that.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
That is why one mod will always be superior to another.

"Superior" is entirely subjective. MFR farms being easier to set up and use only makes them superior if your goal is the fastest, easiest farm possible. If your goal is to make something complex or just "cool," then perhaps forestry farms are superior. It all depends on what you value in your play.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
i have been here since the beginning :p
Nice
"Superior" is entirely subjective. MFR farms being easier to set up and use only makes them superior if your goal is the fastest, easiest farm possible. If your goal is to make something complex or just "cool," then perhaps forestry farms are superior. It all depends on what you value in your play.
Let's assume he meant fastest and easiest

Status
Not open for further replies.