A Rotarycraft Thread (Meanders a little)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I dunno:

Sounds to me like someone might have had an extra magnetized shaft in inventory, then walked away and came back without it.[DOUBLEPOST=1390947140][/DOUBLEPOST]
Looking at his clock, it's roughly identical to mine, unless going through that block adds a tick. You need that repeater to turn that clock (1tick on/1tick off) into a 2-clock.
In MC 1.5, they changed repeaters such that a pulse going through them becomes at least as long as the repeater delay. This then means that feeding a fast signal through a repeater elongates it. I have tested myself, and this does indeed impact AC engine performance.

Also:
@Eyamaz:
Please wait until v15b (coming later today) to include anywhere; v15 has render bugs.

Reactions: NegaNote

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
In MC 1.5, they changed repeaters such that a pulse going through them becomes at least as long as the repeater delay.
Yes, you are correct.
This then means that feeding a fast signal through a repeater elongates it.
That is incorrect. The repeater is capable of preserving a 1-tick pulse as long as you don't give said repeater any additional delay.

Below I have converted redstone state as bits, sampling per redstone tick.
Prior to 1.5, any pattern of bits could be passed through repeaters not set above 1-tick delay except 101. It would always stretch the first 1, creating 111. Even 00100 was fine.
After 1.5, 101 became a valid pattern as long as you fed it through only single-tick repeaters. (In fact, you can use a test repeater by setting at different delays to measure just how long a pulse is if it's 1 to 3 ticks. The repeater stays on continuously one setting above the length of the pulse.)

1. The AC Electrical Engine seems to be designed around: 10101010.
  2. It works OK with: 11001100, 110110, 100100. The speed flickers for a tick on a Dynamometer, but after passing through a flywheel, the power is uniformly 131.072kW on the next Dynamometer in the power train.
You need that repeater to turn that clock (1tick on/1tick off) into a 2-clock.
I was wrong here. I asserted that I had found 11001100 was the way; I retract that after my experiments today show 101010 working a little better. Also, I confused two-period-clock with two-tick clock.

So: A comparator clock with no repeater delivers 101010 (if you place the AC engine not adjacent to dust within two blocks of the comparator), and is perfect.
A comparator clock with repeater delivers 11001100 (has no distance restriction from the comparator), and does fine, unless you're only delivering very precisely the minimum speed or power (but not torque) to a given machine (then you need a flywheel).

@Morberis : Your clock is 11001100 (although I can't personally say if the wireless redstone does something like stretch a pulse. I suspect it's fine but just delays the sequence a tick).

Edit: fixed a bad copypasta

Last edited:

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
My post above revealed something new to me as well, which I believe is an exploit, @Reika.

Prior to doing that experiment, I was running 11001100, and that was fine. The roughly 99% average speed worked fine for my setup.

After switching my clock to 10101010, (because why not go for 100%?) I found that my Magnetized shaft core was demagnetizing MUCH faster, in fact, at 11001100, my magnetized shaft core had sat constantly at 1.830mT for many continuous hours of gameplay.

TL;DR: 11001100 gives you 99+% average speed, but doesn't cause *any* demagnetization of a shaft core.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
My post above revealed something new to me as well, which I believe is an exploit, @Reika.

Prior to doing that experiment, I was running 11001100, and that was fine. The roughly 99% average speed worked fine for my setup.

After switching my clock to 10101010, (because why not go for 100%?) I found that my Magnetized shaft core was demagnetizing MUCH faster, in fact, at 11001100, my magnetized shaft core had sat constantly at 1.830mT for many continuous hours of gameplay.

TL;DR: 11001100 gives you 99+% average speed, but doesn't cause *any* demagnetization of a shaft core.

This may explain why some people say it never demagnetizes. The cause is probably the "reset" of the demagnetization timer. I used to have the same problem with the engines and fuel consumption. I will fix this.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else get a new Rotarycraft handbook every time they log into a world? My wife and I do. We play a LAN game, if that could be what is making it happen to us.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else get a new Rotarycraft handbook every time they log into a world? My wife and I do. We play a LAN game, if that could be what is making it happen to us.

I changed this in the recent pack updates to not spawn anymore. Neither does the tinker's book. Both can still be crafted.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
Pickaxes are the only tools that will work on my machines. IC2 Drills and TiC hammers have been excluded for realism reasons (especially the hammer).

Redstone Arsenal pick seem to be destroying machines (at least in v11b). Was that fixed in newer versions?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I just updated to Monster 1.0.9 and the icon for the liquid pipe (6 hlsa steel + 3 glass) is drawing funny. All the other pipes look ok.
Is this the rendering issue?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I just updated to Monster 1.0.9 and the icon for the liquid pipe (6 hlsa steel + 3 glass) is drawing funny. All the other pipes look ok.
Is this the rendering issue?

No. Do you have a screenshot? Also, do you have Optifine?

Redstone Arsenal pick seem to be destroying machines (at least in v11b). Was that fixed in newer versions?
Is it an instance of ItemPickaxe?

Out of curiosity, is it fixed in V15b, or later?
Later.

YekimonTheMarginal

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps this isn't the proper thread, but kinda sorta seemed to fit. In regards to the AC motor, I seem to be okay with using the motor itself, however, I've had to resort to cheating in a premagnetized shaft core. I cannot seem to get any magnetization on a core. I've even tried powering the magnetizer with a gas turbine, just to see, and nothing. I've tried multiple combinations of torque/speed, making sure they exceed the minimum speed/power requirements for the magnetizers. I'm guessing I'm doing something silly?

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Single-tick on single-tick off is the fastest possible you can deliver signal; if you were to hit the engine from different sides in the opposite phase, you would energize the AC engine constantly.

Reactions: Not_Steve

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I use two timers on a .50 second off-set to run my AC engines. Works well enough to run a boring machine, if run through a gearbox.