A Rotarycraft Thread (Meanders a little)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Would smashing a machine with a hammer yield a usable item? No.
well, hitting it with a pick has similar if not same result... but that's probably irrelevant. my point was that using hammer to retrieve machines can be rather awkward because of 3x3 aoe, so not having hammer as a valid tool is rather convenient safety mechanism.

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
Comparator clocks are not fully off-on; they generate a 1-14 signal strength alternation. You need a 0-any.

This (like the ideas of parallel multiplication, heat transfer, boiling point of water, and common sense) falls under "expected prerequisite knowledge". In this case, the fact that moving a magnetic field around a conductor generates a current.

I find this weird. In the real word moving a magnetized conductor around near an sizable AC engine does not cause it to run, nor does it induce anything other than negligible electrical current. I'm talking milliamps when what that motor needs amps or tens of amps. So while yes that a realistic behavior, inducing current by moving a magnetic field over a conductor, it's an entirely unrealistic scenario and not something someone would usually consider when diagnosing in the problems in the real world (shit duh, I had a magnet in my pocket!, no). It's fine if that's how you want your mod to operate, minecraft isn't reality after all, but it seems odd to imply that it's a realistic scenario and something someone should realize.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I find this weird. In the real word moving a magnetized conductor around near an sizable AC engine does not cause it to run, nor does it induce anything other than negligible electrical current. I'm talking milliamps when what that motor needs amps or tens of amps. So while yes that a realistic behavior, inducing current by moving a magnetic field over a conductor, it's an entirely unrealistic scenario and not something would usually consider when diagnosing in the real. It's fine if that's how you want your mod to operate, minecraft isn't reality after all, but it seems odd to imply that it's a realistic scenario and something someone should realize.
Given that the AC engine operates on redstone and not actual electricity, standard quantities do not really apply. This is reinforced by the fact that a signal strength of 1/0 is just as good for the AC engine as 15/0, and thus it is more about the "on/off" nature than the magnitudes. Additionally, a real AC engine does not have long conductors, making the "moving a magnet" phenomenon a lot less powerful. Do the same with a four-meter wire, and it will be rather more pronounced. Finally, shaft core magnetizations are often very large; a tesla is a very large unit - the Earth's magnetic field is only about 30-60 microTeslas over much of the world.

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I agree with your reason, but it differs enough from expected behavior in reality that it seems odd to equate it with basic math skills or boiling water. A simple sentence about odd interactions with electrical or redstone fields would be both intriguing let and connect to dots a little more for people who have the basic knowledge.

But that's just me, I really do like how rotarycraft works and appreciate that a mod like it exists.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
http://pastebin.comelpuqt28f/

You might have changed versions since, but when it happened the first time, it corrupted the world I'd been playing. I was getting ready to change worlds anyway, but it was still mildly distressing. Later attempts to reproduce it for the log did not corrupt, so there was probably something else going on with that.
Check your link, as it is very clearly broken.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
The comparator clock works. You either need to increase distance (to prevent the power-1 tick from working) or add a repeater directly into the comparator to drop output to precisely 1 (but you need a repeater anyway to add one more tick to the cycle times). My first test (without magnetized shaft cores in inventory) worked perfectly.
Really though, on the shaft thing, this is Minecraft. Sometimes you have to tell people when you take realistic forces as far as this example. No other mod stops a machine working if you have something in your inventory (or even your hand), so your mod is the exception in this universe. Misinformed inaccurate speculation on how to solve this problem (I fixed the wiki that spawned these):
  • Make sure your ac redstone signal is actually coming into the side
  • you cant have 2 engines next to each other
  • you have to unload the chunk and come back
  • be sure to use two clocks to give the engine the alternating signal

Last edited:
Reactions: jokermatt999

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
The comparator clock works. You either need to increase distance (to prevent the power-1 tick from working) or add a repeater directly into the comparator to drop output to precisely 1 (but you need a repeater anyway to add one more tick to the cycle times). My first test (without magnetized shaft cores in inventory) worked perfectly.

Thanks for this. The AC engine has been giving me headaches lately and I could not figure out why.

Really though, on the shaft thing, this is Minecraft. Sometimes you have to tell people when you take realistic forces as far as this example. No other mod stops a machine working if you have something in your inventory (or even your hand), so your mod is the exception in this universe.

I second that. I have a Ph.D. in physical chemistry, and this interaction never crossed my mind. Also, my 12 year old son, or my 6 year old son, would never figure that out in a million years.

I have a question about this, and maybe I can just figure it out myself, but it is often better to hash it out with some other people... Is the two clock thing necessary? It doesn't seem to be based on the pic above.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
This is because a drill is not a pick, and the IC2 api changes every 30 minutes.
So I get why the drill won't work on your machines, but does it really require constant copying and including of the IC2 API to make Geostrata rocks break at a reasonable speed? I've never had a problem with stone added by other mods.
Is the two clock thing necessary? It doesn't seem to be based on the pic above.
Nope. Those were examples of bad faulty inaccurate speculations of people. Probably he read somewhere that you need a "2-clock", and misinterpreted that as two clocks.

Last edited:

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I gave it a cursory test and with a touch dig spell I couldn't reproduce a crash. It *did* destroy the machines, though.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So I get why the drill won't work on your machines, but does it really require constant copying and including of the IC2 API to make Geostrata rocks break at a reasonable speed? I've never had a problem with stone added by other mods.
GeoStrata uses special code to calculate hardness, and this then means that I need to check myself if a player is holding a drill. The problem is, such checks can only be done with the IC2 api or with reflection. The former keeps changing so that I cannot use it without it going out of date by the time of upload, and the latter breaks due to the former.

Nope. Those were examples of bad faulty inaccurate speculations of people. Probably he read somewhere that you need a "2-clock", and misinterpreted that as two clocks.
That or the fact some YouTubers are using two ExtraUtils clocks.

I second that. I have a Ph.D. in physical chemistry, and this interaction never crossed my mind. Also, my 12 year old son, or my 6 year old son, would never figure that out in a million years.
RotaryCraft is not intended for people of that age. They can go ahead and try by all means, but RotaryCraft is intended for an adult audience.

As for you, I suspect it is just because it was unexpected. Until now, no mod has really tried to be more realistic than Minecraft itself. Therefore, people have long been trained to just use "mod logic". With RotaryCraft, this fails. A good example of this is people with Steam engines. So many mods have trained them that "lava = hot", not "lava = 1200C, fire = 200C...", so that when they need to boil water, they do not think "water boils at 100C, so I need fire", they think "steam is hot, let's use lava". This results in an overpressure explosion.

You can do that, yes.

Really though, on the shaft thing, this is Minecraft. Sometimes you have to tell people when you take realistic forces as far as this example. No other mod stops a machine working if you have something in your inventory (or even your hand), so your mod is the exception in this universe.
No other mod is designed with "Be as realistic as reasonably possible" as the main rule.

Misinformed inaccurate speculation on how to solve this problem (I fixed the wiki that spawned these):
  • Make sure your ac redstone signal is actually coming into the side
  • you cant have 2 engines next to each other
  • you have to unload the chunk and come back
A beautiful example of humans' tendency to see patterns and/or logic in randomness.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Epic Copy-Pasta Failure. Here's a new one: pastebin.com/MYDchRXi

Version 1.0.10 of Horizons with the default FTB versions of the two mods, clicking on a lubricant filled 16:1 bedrock gearbox.

Also, I just use two Project Red timers. One on either side, with a .050 offset between them. Works brilliantly.

And the reason I think lava is understandable, is because we would have used it to power the Blast Furnace to make the HSLA Steel to make the steam engine. Then again, I didn't have a problem because I added cooling fins to the top to keep it from getting too hot.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Epic Copy-Pasta Failure. Here's a new one: pastebin.com/MYDchRXi

Version 1.0.10 of Horizons with the default FTB versions of the two mods, clicking on a lubricant filled 16:1 bedrock gearbox.

Also, I just use two Project Red timers. One on either side, with a .050 offset between them. Works brilliantly.

And the reason I think lava is understandable, is because we would have used it to power the Blast Furnace to make the HSLA Steel to make the steam engine. Then again, I didn't have a problem because I added cooling fins to the top to keep it from getting too hot.
AM2 dig spell. This never has been supported.

EDIT:
Oops. At the time of replying, I forgot that was what this log was for.

Looking into it, it appears the spell deletes the TE data before actually breaking the block.

Last edited:

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019

Hey Reika, loving rotarycraft especially how messy an exploding gas turbine is :)

I have a question and thought I'd ask it here rather than start a new dialogue, is it possible to pipe jetfuel into gas turbines?

I've tried with fuel lines, TE ducts and Ender IO conduit and nothing wants to put the jet fuel in, buckets is the only way I've got to work so far.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Reika, agree with everything you've said except this:
This (like the ideas of parallel multiplication, heat transfer, boiling point of water, and common sense) falls under "expected prerequisite knowledge". In this case, the fact that moving a magnetic field around a conductor generates a current.

Accidental silliness? You cannot pick and choose which physics we must assume you've handled. There's a million common-sense items you will have to omit from your excellent mod, and we cannot magically infer the list of ones you implemented. Nothin' but love other than that :)