A Rotarycraft Thread (Meanders a little)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Would you care to show your smelting setup with the friction heaters? :D
That one's not quite so elegant.
5rZwBDJ.png
i5mVXjA.png
8 friction heaters running on 2MW each. More magnetostatics because they're convenient and cheap. Friction heaters seem to run best with roughly balanced torque and speed, but there aren't really any shortcuts to getting them running quickly other than dumping in more power. AE export busses supplying a small Extra Utilities piping system to act as a buffer (the extractor ends up putting out like 38 different kinds of flakes, and each export bus can only do 8). Another small piping system to extract from the furnaces, and dumping back into the AE network.

Doesn't come anywhere close to being able to keep up with the extractors. Meh.

Reactions: Geometry

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for barging into the thread like this, but although I haven't played with RotaryCraft yet, it looks really cool! I like to think that I'm pretty good at math and science, so I definitely want to try it out.

Also, I'm taking an engineering course next year, and if I get good at RotaryCraft, well... who knows, I may get a head start! :p

Although it could also be the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for barging into the thread like this, but although I haven't played with RotaryCraft yet, it looks really cool! I like to think that I'm pretty good at math and science, so I definitely want to try it out.

Also, I'm taking an engineering course next year, and if I get good at RotaryCraft, well... who knows, I may get a head start! :p
Be informed, this mod takes much time to master. In fact, it's taken me the most time out of all mods.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Barging in? You must not have read much of the thread, or more condescendingly...
mlfw8187_medium.png

Derpy is Best Poni

But in all seriousness, it's fine, everyone does it. It's one of the only ways to get things done, and it works great here.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
That one's not quite so elegant.
5rZwBDJ.png
i5mVXjA.png
8 friction heaters running on 2MW each. More magnetostatics because they're convenient and cheap. Friction heaters seem to run best with roughly balanced torque and speed, but there aren't really any shortcuts to getting them running quickly other than dumping in more power. AE export busses supplying a small Extra Utilities piping system to act as a buffer (the extractor ends up putting out like 38 different kinds of flakes, and each export bus can only do 8). Another small piping system to extract from the furnaces, and dumping back into the AE network.

Doesn't come anywhere close to being able to keep up with the extractors. Meh.
What temperature do you have the friction heaters running at?

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
What temperature do you have the friction heaters running at?
1345C. At this heat, 8 extractors on 2MW/each collectively work a little faster than a single extractor running off the jet-engine-or-so worth of power it takes to max a single one out at 2000C. The Rotarycraft handbook also mentions something melting furnaces at excessive amounts of heat, but that never actually seems to happen, even putting in a few GW of power from a creative industrial coil.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
1345C. At this heat, 8 extractors on 2MW/each collectively work a little faster than a single extractor running off the jet-engine-or-so worth of power it takes to max a single one out at 2000C. The Rotarycraft handbook also mentions something melting furnaces at excessive amounts of heat, but that never actually seems to happen, even putting in a few GW of power from a creative industrial coil.
You wouldn't happen to have a rotarycraft spawner controller, would you? If so, do you know how much power it takes to make the spawn delay zero? Also, what are you using to produce your RF power?

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
You wouldn't happen to have a rotarycraft spawner controller, would you? If so, do you know how much power it takes to make the spawn delay zero?
Minimum spawn delay is achieved at about 4MW at 1Nm of torque. Gonna have to cook up a few gearboxes.
Also, what are you using to produce your RF power?
eDdKtRO.png
Golem farm with magic crops producing jet fuel components. 13 nether crops, 16 blaze crops, 4 magma cube, 2 water and 4 earth. The item vacuum hovering above for collection is only receiving a steam engine's worth of power. There's a pretty severe surplus of everything except blaze essence. Also about 15 lilypads of fertility buried under the farm, I've been meaning to set up a few Rotarycraft sprinklers fed with bonemeal to see how those work out.

nQ1Vpj1.png
Jet fuel factory, with more magnetostatic abuse. From my notes:
# = ME Assembly chamber

Blaze powder line:
1: # Blaze rods -> Pulverizer -> Blaze powder
Netherrack dust line:
1: # Netherrack -> Grinder -> Netherrack Dust
Tar sand line:
1: # Soul sand -> Grinder -> Tar sand
Ethanol line:
1: Sugar cane -> Grinder -> Sugar
2: Sugar + # Dirt -> Fermenter -> Yeast
3: Yeast + Vines -> Fermenter -> Sludge
4: Sludge -> Redstone Furnace -> Ethanol Crystals

Blaze powder + # Coal + Netherrack dust + Tar sand + Ethanol crystals + # Magma cream -> Fractionation Unit* -> Jet fuel
Currently the grinder magnetostatic is producing 262 kW and splitting it almost evenly to three grinders, grinding sugar cane, netherrack and soul sand. Hooking a gasoline engine up to each grinder would produce exactly the same effect.

Next up there are two fermenters running off 65 kW, one being fed with sugar from a grinder and dirt from earth essence, and the other with yeast from the previous one and leaves made from water and earth essence. Another gasoline engine would work here instead. The resultant sludge is being fed to a redstone furnace to produce ethanol crystals.

Finally, the products of all these machines are being exported to a fractionation unit to produce jet fuel, with a third magnetostatic producing 524 kW, geared to 1 Nm of torque. A microturbine turned down to 25% with an engine control unit would work here, too, with the appropriate gearing.

This setup is making enough fuel to run probably 5 or 6 gas turbines continuously.

fk1QlTP.png
The intake range of a gas turbine is pretty big, so they've got their own containment room. Standing on any of the yellow striped areas will get you stuck against the iron bars in front of the gas turbines, where your only real hope of getting out is by suicide or teleportation. Without the iron bars you'd just die instead, and your engine isn't going to come out of the incident too well either (read: break and replace it within a few minutes of ingestion if you don't want your power room converted into a large crater).

KSrUCuY.png
Lastly, magnetostatics rotational dynamos, with the appropriate measures to ensure they aren't receiving more than 8192 Nm or rad/s. Each one is producing 8943 RF/t.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Minimum spawn delay is achieved at about 4MW at 1Nm of torque. Gonna have to cook up a few gearboxes.

Golem farm with magic crops producing jet fuel components. 13 nether crops, 16 blaze crops, 4 magma cube, 2 water and 4 earth. The item vacuum hovering above for collection is only receiving a steam engine's worth of power. There's a pretty severe surplus of everything except blaze essence. Also about 15 lilypads of fertility buried under the farm, I've been meaning to set up a few Rotarycraft sprinklers fed with bonemeal to see how those work out.

Jet fuel factory, with more magnetostatic abuse. From my notes:

Currently the grinder magnetostatic is producing 262 kW and splitting it almost evenly to three grinders, grinding sugar cane, netherrack and soul sand. Hooking a gasoline engine up to each grinder would produce exactly the same effect.

Next up there are two fermenters running off 65 kW, one being fed with sugar from a grinder and dirt from earth essence, and the other with yeast from the previous one and leaves made from water and earth essence. Another gasoline engine would work here instead. The resultant sludge is being fed to a redstone furnace to produce ethanol crystals.

Finally, the products of all these machines are being exported to a fractionation unit to produce jet fuel, with a third magnetostatic producing 524 kW, geared to 1 Nm of torque. A microturbine turned down to 25% with an engine control unit would work here, too, with the appropriate gearing.

This setup is making enough fuel to run probably 5 or 6 gas turbines continuously.

The intake range of a gas turbine is pretty big, so they've got their own containment room. Standing on any of the yellow striped areas will get you stuck against the iron bars in front of the gas turbines, where your only real hope of getting out is by suicide or teleportation. Without the iron bars you'd just die instead, and your engine isn't going to come out of the incident too well either (read: break and replace it within a few minutes of ingestion if you don't want your power room converted into a large crater).

Lastly, magnetostatics rotational dynamos, with the appropriate measures to ensure they aren't receiving more than 8192 Nm or rad/s. Each one is producing 8943 RF/t.
I like that. Where does the "caution floor" come from?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You need a big "DEATH TO ALL WHO INTRUDES!" Signage outside the room.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk