A Rotarycraft Thread (Meanders a little)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. I once saw this on a container of grease: "Do not apply by hand to moving saw blades".

I think it's just that companies are so paranoid about getting sued that they have to put warnings for things that are incredibly obvious. I seem to recall once seeing "Never use while sleeping" on a propane blowtorch. Is it even physically possible to do that?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's just that companies are so paranoid about getting sued that they have to put warnings for things that are incredibly obvious. I seem to recall once seeing "Never use while sleeping" on a propane blowtorch. Is it even physically possible to do that?
It could also be because of McDonalds bring sued for millions of dollars because some woman spilled hot coffee on herself.

Reactions: PierceSG

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It could also be because of McDonalds bring sued for millions of dollars because some woman spilled hot coffee on herself.
Contrary to popular belief, that one was in fact partially their fault. They were apparently serving the coffee hotter than normal, so took some of the blame. Additionally, and probably more importantly, she was found partially liable as well; her final settlement, rather than the absurd $10-50M I see quoted in many places, was $640K, much of that for medical bills.
(And that is only in the US, too. Anywhere where the healthcare was government-funded, she probably would have gotten less than $100K).

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
In rotarycraft, Is there a way to combine 2 engines' output if both are outputting different amounts of power?

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Not really sure how I would set them up.

You have two sources of power, A and B, putting out different powers at different speeds. Let's say A is twice as fast as B. Then put a 2x gearbox in speed mode on the output of B. That will make B the same speed as A. Or you could put a 2x gearbox in torque mode on the output of A. That will make A the same speed as B.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Not really sure how I would set them up.
Truthfully, this is when you need a calculator and actually have to do some math. You have to use gearboxes to match the rad/s, then feed them into a shaft junction. All of the torque will combine with no issues once the speed is the same.

Reactions: kilteroff

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
The numbers would have to line up perfectly to do it with gearboxes alone. It could be done in some cases, you'd probably save yourself a lot of headache and fiddling by using CVT's instead.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
It's not that the speeds are fluctuating, they're just different.
Gearboxes are one of the most important things to understand the usage of in Rotarycraft.

Keep in mind that, because of the way the RoC power system works, there aren't a whole lot of situations where you're going to want to combine the power of different kinds of engines. If you had, for example, a gasoline engine at 65 kW (512 rad/s @ 128 Nm), and a performance engine at 262 kW (1024 @ 256), you could gear the performance engine down to 512 rad/s @ 512 Nm and run the output through a shaft junction for 512 rad/s @ 640 Nm. The only problem is, doing so isn't really going to be especially useful because you're probably going to end up wasting that added power from the gasoline engine anyway, unless you're using it to wind an industrial coil or converting it to RF/etc.

With the above example setup, if you had a machine that required, say, at least 65kW @ 512 Nm to run, there isn't really any simple way to gear your 512 rad/640 Nm output up to 640 rad/512 Nm, so the end result is going to be precisely the same if you remove the extra torque added from the gasoline engine. When a machine in the handbook says it requires a certain torque, with few (any?) exceptions adding extra torque isn't going to make it do its job any faster, so any torque over the requirement will be wasted.