[1.7.10] The Ferret Business [WIP][BQ + HQM, 500+ Quests][v 0.2.6]

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like the Slice 'n' Splice won't take the Headcrumbs version; the standard crafting recipes don't seem to mind.
I need to get aroudn to seeing about adding Slice n Splice recipes if I can for some things.

With this pack currently being 'only' in v0.0.8 - is the 200+ quests an indication for the final version or the current version?
That is current quest count.

200+ is current, depending on how you count parts of quests as opposed to whole ones.
Actually its whole quests, but this is including shop quests and contracts.

Also, would it maybe be possible to blacklist the Open Blocks ghost/spirit (WAILA doesn't display the proper name) from Infernal Mobs?
Whoops, meant to do this before.

Reactions: Pudding01

Torezu

Jul 29, 2019
I need to get around to seeing about adding Slice n Splice recipes if I can for some things.
I vote for finishing quest line(s) first. :)

That is current quest count.
Yeah, I see the 700+ quests thing for the ultimate quest pack and think, "Yes, but how many of those have 6 or 7 parts like the ones in the pack I'm playing now?" Not that I don't want to try it, but I'm definitely having fun with this one.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
I vote for finishing quest line(s) first. :)
I can do a bit of both, honestly. I can't churn out nonstop quest dialogue, I have to spend a week learning a mod inside and out as much as I can before writing quests, and if I try forcing it, the text starts to suffer.

I usually split my time between writing quests, and working on contracts and background stuff.

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Does the Ender sword from Ender IO affect Headcrumbs head drops? I've been killing things with it for awhile, and I don't recall much of an increase (or any, really) Headcrumb heads. I even got 3 or so enderman heads from Ender IO while I only got one enderman head from Headcrumbs. Plus, I've had like all of one Headcrumbs doppleganger actually drop their head, all the other ones I've gotten are from chests.

Torezu

Jul 29, 2019
I can do a bit of both, honestly. I can't churn out nonstop quest dialogue, I have to spend a week learning a mod inside and out as much as I can before writing quests, and if I try forcing it, the text starts to suffer.

I usually split my time between writing quests, and working on contracts and background stuff.
Is there some kind of quest quantity limit? If you want suggestions for supply contracts, you could have some additional variety - maybe mob drops like ender pearls/blaze or blizz rods/etc. or non-metals like coal blocks, lapis blocks, glowstone, or redstone. Production contracts could add processed foods (harvestcraft offers a lot of options here), processed building materials (regular or nether bricks in bulk, etc.).

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
Does the Ender sword from Ender IO affect Headcrumbs head drops? I've been killing things with it for awhile, and I don't recall much of an increase (or any, really) Headcrumb heads.
I don't know if Beheading type enchants/effects effect Headcrumbs drops.

Is there some kind of quest quantity limit? I
1023 quests is the max HQM can have right now.

If you want suggestions for supply contracts, you could have some additional variety - maybe mob drops like ender pearls/blaze or blizz rods/etc. or non-metals like coal blocks, lapis blocks, glowstone, or redstone. Production contracts could add processed foods (harvestcraft offers a lot of options here), processed building materials (regular or nether bricks in bulk, etc.).
All of these are planned. I want to slowly add to the supply/production contracts as I finish questlines, so I don't miss anything.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
I am thinking you will not be hitting that number, but props if you do.
Before I had a talk with the HQM devs on various things last year, I would have already hit it. What you see as multiple tasks in a quest right now, used to be separate quests, with longer dialogue explaining things.

I'm really hoping that the rewrite of HQM lifts the limits at least a bit. I'm already looking ahead and condensing some quests as I go, cause its easier to do it now than it is to rework things later.

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if Beheading type enchants/effects effect Headcrumbs drops.

I'll try to get a particularly good death cleaver of death sometime in the next few days to test Tinker's Construct beheading, but no promises since I'm constantly jumping between exploration, quests, and meager attempts to actually prettify the one structure I have set up on my desert island (it's a 6x6x11 smeltery).

Danjal

Jul 29, 2019
Before I had a talk with the HQM devs on various things last year, I would have already hit it. What you see as multiple tasks in a quest right now, used to be separate quests, with longer dialogue explaining things.

I'm really hoping that the rewrite of HQM lifts the limits at least a bit. I'm already looking ahead and condensing some quests as I go, cause its easier to do it now than it is to rework things later.
Just my thoughts on this matter. But I think in many cases you'd be better off with multi-step quests that offer a bit 'larger' of a reward than a ton of tiny ones.
Ofcourse I haven't seen the quests you've made so my thoughts could be entirely off the mark.

Going off of the premise you put, of being this valuable resource to the company on an unexplored world.
I would imagine that the business would largely be interested in resources they do not already have access to.
And not just in handfulls either.
Which leads me to think of a sort-of "progressional" mechanic where they initially want samples, to see what you have that they want.
And later on go for larger supply quests that ask for a range of products or larger quantities.

Ofcourse it entirely depends on the end-result you're hoping for. But just looking at it from here, 1023 quests with a lot of them being repeatable seems like a LOT.
And you think you may need/want more? Thats impressive. =)
Especially when combined with the cool dialogue we've seen of this pack so far. Great work.

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Just my thoughts on this matter. But I think in many cases you'd be better off with multi-step quests that offer a bit 'larger' of a reward than a ton of tiny ones.
Ofcourse I haven't seen the quests you've made so my thoughts could be entirely off the mark.

Going off of the premise you put, of being this valuable resource to the company on an unexplored world.
I would imagine that the business would largely be interested in resources they do not already have access to.
And not just in handfulls either.
Which leads me to think of a sort-of "progressional" mechanic where they initially want samples, to see what you have that they want.
And later on go for larger supply quests that ask for a range of products or larger quantities.

Ofcourse it entirely depends on the end-result you're hoping for. But just looking at it from here, 1023 quests with a lot of them being repeatable seems like a LOT.
Especially when combined with the cool dialogue we've seen of this pack so far. Great work.

You've got the general gist of the pack. Turn in samples to unlock questlines, and then actually do stuff for each mod/questline. And the resource ones mostly seem to have small and large versions available.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
The individual quests allowed me to explain how something functioned better. I make do with using the smaller lore box in the upper right, but I've had people not realize thats more things they should read.

Lore wise, the company is interested in EVERYTHING from your world, as all basic materials and everything made in your world has this inherent 'magicalness' to it.

Its what allows iron buckets and tin capsules to hold Lava, for example. =)

I've got a list of what Mods fit into which of the 31 QUEST pages (the maximum quest pages), and have an upper limit for number of quests for each page designated. With what we have right now, it leaves about 32 quests per remaining page, with 75 quests to spare for more contracts or to increase the quests on another page.

Botania is 42 quests large, with a LOT of condensing. Extra Utilities is 30. MFR and Progressive Automation split 41 quests between the two. There are currently 35 Production Contracts, and I'm expecting this will double before I'm done. Doing a new count, there are actually 440 quests, but roughly 40 of them are invisible 'trigger' quests, or placeholders that will become actual quests later.

Reactions: Danjal

Raetac

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still doing my first quest line of EnderIO and it's been amazing! So many more questlines to go, I could be doing this for at least 6 months plus

Reactions: mike spy

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
@Caigan The Biomes O'Plenty veggie salad is a shaped recipe, and I'm not sure that it should be. I mainly point this out since I'm having difficulty crafting it with the ingredients it allows.

Same with the shroom salad. The fruit salad was no issue, but it only has one possible recipe.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
@Caigan The Biomes O'Plenty veggie salad is a shaped recipe, and I'm not sure that it should be. I mainly point this out since I'm having difficulty crafting it with the ingredients it allows.

Same with the shroom salad. The fruit salad was no issue, but it only has one possible recipe.
Whoops, fixed those. The first fixes for 0.0.9 / 0.1.0 (depending on how much I get done and a few other things).

--------

On that note, the plan is for the last two mods being added are : Draconic Evolution for high tier HQM rewards, and Recurrent Complex for custom worldgen stuff IF I can get it doing what I want and it doesn't add too much issue.

I'm going to work on a separate questline than Mekanism for now. If, in two weeks, the last few mods that have not updated to the new fluid API are still not updated, I will probably drop them until they do update. We'll stay on 0.0.X until either a) they update, or b) it looks like they WON'T update (developer going quiet or stating they won't update), and then they'll be dropped completely.

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
I take it you're going to add more than the green heart purchase to the armament shop, right? Like, I don't mean to be presumptuous, but the placement of it (and the dedication of an entire chapter to a single quest) makes me think that more will be added later on.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
I take it you're going to add more than the green heart purchase to the armament shop, right? Like, I don't mean to be presumptuous, but the placement of it (and the dedication of an entire chapter to a single quest) makes me think that more will be added later on.
Yup, I haven't worked out how I want the armament shop to work just yet. Most likely I'll go with tiers of weapons and armors you can purchase, and they'll basically be similar to blind bags/magic seed bags : they'll have a variety of equipment equal to that tier (so, say, diamond helmet vs mana steel helmet vs dark steel helm would be an example of what you might be able to find). Then there would be potions, accessories, etc.

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, I haven't worked out how I want the armament shop to work just yet. Most likely I'll go with tiers of weapons and armors you can purchase, and they'll basically be similar to blind bags/magic seed bags : they'll have a variety of equipment equal to that tier (so, say, diamond helmet vs mana steel helmet vs dark steel helm would be an example of what you might be able to find). Then there would be potions, accessories, etc.

If I can make a suggestion, maybe add in a few of the Lycanite's Mobs creature treats (for taming guard beasts, of course) since some of them are kind of hard to find/make, and maybe add in some of the modular turret components, maybe the higher tier ones (I honestly don't know, I haven't gotten into that mod yet), and maybe some bulk defense items, like the Tinker's Construct punji sticks or the Witchery stockade-things and Extra Utilities spikes. Maybe we can submit a red and/or yellow heart and we can then buy those since the labs have a copy to clone/synthesize more from. I'd offer more suggestions, but I'm not super familiar with most mods' defense type things.

Ooh! I don't know if you'd be willing to, but maybe instead of augmenting dark steel armor the normal way (and this would mess with your current quests, I think, so I'm aware how much of a pain this would be), you could maybe submit the armor and the augment-item with some kind of fee, and the lab would augment it for you? I'm just kind of spitballing here, so I've got no qualms whether you use these or not.

Last edited:

Danjal

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a list of what Mods fit into which of the 31 QUEST pages (the maximum quest pages), and have an upper limit for number of quests for each page designated. With what we have right now, it leaves about 32 quests per remaining page, with 75 quests to spare for more contracts or to increase the quests on another page.

Botania is 42 quests large, with a LOT of condensing. Extra Utilities is 30. MFR and Progressive Automation split 41 quests between the two. There are currently 35 Production Contracts, and I'm expecting this will double before I'm done. Doing a new count, there are actually 440 quests, but roughly 40 of them are invisible 'trigger' quests, or placeholders that will become actual quests later.
*wow*

You can consider me thoroughly impressed.

Bastian-Bux

Jul 29, 2019
Magical Flowers -> Better Equipment (3) isn't accepting my mana blaster. Any thought? Bug, or does it have to have a specific lens?