[1.7.10] Survival industry [rotarycraft based tech]

would you like the modpack to grow bigger with new mod?

• yes, more magic

• yes, more tech

• yes, stronger mobs/other

• no, keep it as it is

Results are only viewable after voting.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed the spike a few times myself. Hmmm.. Perhaps I need some quality time with OPIS... provided I can make it work on Linux...

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I found two thing that don't make a whole lot of sense.
1. The railcraft steam engines aren't disabled like all the other RF engines and generators. The higher tier ones require steam to be piped in which requires a fair amount of infrastructure so they seem fine, but the base engine just needs water and fuel to make RF.
2. The buildcraft redstone engine needs to be enabled. It doesn't make enough RF to run anything so it's useless for power production. It's main use is to put on pipes to allow them to extract items and fluids before you get lasers and assembly table to make autarchic gates. Having it disabled makes BC automation impossible until you have the power to run lasers and make gates.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
I found two thing that don't make a whole lot of sense.
1. The railcraft steam engines aren't disabled like all the other RF engines and generators. The higher tier ones require steam to be piped in which requires a fair amount of infrastructure so they seem fine, but the base engine just needs water and fuel to make RF.

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but the current version of Survival Industry has all Railcraft generators disabled. The only "engines" still enabled are the locomotives. I also left the boilers, in order to fuel up the steam locomotive. The only steam engine that should be available is the RotaryCraft one.

2. The buildcraft redstone engine needs to be enabled. It doesn't make enough RF to run anything so it's useless for power production. It's main use is to put on pipes to allow them to extract items and fluids before you get lasers and assembly table to make autarchic gates. Having it disabled makes BC automation impossible until you have the power to run lasers and make gates.

Actually, Buildcraft pipes should be disabled; in this game, to move liquids, you need to use RotaryCraft pipes (sandstone to pull fluids out of non-RoC containers, HSLA to route the fluids where you want them, and the pipe pump to make sure every last drop is out of the pipes), and to move items, there's the pneumatic item pump. I've also provided Extra Utilities' transfer pipe and nodes as an all-in-one-pipe alternative, once you have the materials to make them.

Are you using the latest version from the FTB launcher?

Last edited:

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what you're looking at, but the current version of Survival Industry has all Railcraft generators disabled. The only "engines" still enabled are the locomotives. I also left the boilers, in order to fuel up the steam locomotive. The only steam engine that should be available is the RotaryCraft one.

Actually, Buildcraft pipes should be disabled; in this game, to move liquids, you need to use RotaryCraft pipes (sandstone to pull fluids out of non-RoC containers, HSLA to route the fluids where you want them, and the pipe pump to make sure every last drop is out of the pipes), and to move items, there's the pneumatic item pump. I've also provided Extra Utilities' transfer pipe and nodes as an all-in-one-pipe alternative, once you have the materials to make them.

Are you using the latest version from the FTB launcher?

That was my mistake on the BC pipes. I haven't gotten far enough to automate anything and didn't notice the pipes weren't there. I just saw the redstone engine with the tooltip saying it was disabled. I should have dug a little deeper. So I guess BC is just there for the oil mostly?

As for the railcraft engines, here's NEI showing the recipe and the tooltip doesn't say they are disabled.

JBAXnql.png

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, good catch. I had thought I had disabled them in railcraft's blocks config, but apparently not. This oversight will be fixed by the next version of the modpack, which should be coming out soon.

Actually, BC is there for the construction machines; no other mod really duplicates the complex means BC has of automating construction to the player's specification.

Finally, a little bit of trivia: If you did have the BC wooden pipe, it would work faster when connected to a RoC DC engine with a rotational dynamo.

Last edited:

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
So I looked up "Harder Wildlife" in NEI for the first time, and saw there's a calendar item. I had no idea that was available before, and that makes a difference. It's a bit fiddly (painting + clock, then place in an item frame and look at it, and in WAILA you finally see the info you want), and only shows the season, not the time of year. I have no idea and no impression of how long a year is in Minecraft days, or when looking at the calendar how far into the current season I am and how soon the next one will be coming. I feel like perhaps being more transparent to the player might make the frustrations less frustrating.

Oh, btw reteo I've encountered a couple crashes looking through NEI recipes, like scrolling through the possible recipes for iron for example. Dunno if that's repeatable. Just occasionally when paging through it'd freeze and go back to the launcher.

Edit: In the village Railcraft building they spawn the hobbyist steam engine attached to a rolling machine. Dunno if that can be circumvented though. They're decently rare (or maybe I'm unlucky :p)

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
I've disabled seasons for now; but in any event, one year is 128 minecraft days; each season is 32 days long.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
So I looked up "Harder Wildlife" in NEI for the first time, and saw there's a calendar item. I had no idea that was available before, and that makes a difference. It's a bit fiddly (painting + clock, then place in an item frame and look at it, and in WAILA you finally see the info you want), and only shows the season, not the time of year. I have no idea and no impression of how long a year is in Minecraft days, or when looking at the calendar how far into the current season I am and how soon the next one will be coming. I feel like perhaps being more transparent to the player might make the frustrations less frustrating.

Oh, btw reteo I've encountered a couple crashes looking through NEI recipes, like scrolling through the possible recipes for iron for example. Dunno if that's repeatable. Just occasionally when paging through it'd freeze and go back to the launcher.

Edit: In the village Railcraft building they spawn the hobbyist steam engine attached to a rolling machine. Dunno if that can be circumvented though. They're decently rare (or maybe I'm unlucky :p)
Be glad you found a village. I have found a desert fortress, been through almost every biome while exploring and still haven't found a village.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose I can let the hobbyist engine slide... It's not like it's going to be very useful, early-game, and when it becomes useful, you'll have access to much better sources of power. And just be careful about collecting too many "trophies..." villagers will eventually start attacking you if you break too many of their blocks.

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose I can let the hobbyist engine slide... It's not like it's going to be very useful, early-game. And just be careful about collecting too many "trophies..." villagers will eventually start attacking you if you break too many of their blocks.
I had no idea how that village awareness worked at first, and pissed them off the first time I played with the new update after moving into a village. Planting and harvesting Harvestcraft gardens pissed them off, for some reason, as did upgrading the smeltery in town by taking out some of the walls to add a smeltery controller and letting it actually work. Ingrates. I led them all into a big pit in the middle of town and left them there so I could still trade with them without them bothering me. :p I soon restarted and decided to just live on my own in another file, though.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
As a side note, you can gain standing with the villagers by killing hostile mobs at night within their village. This can be used offset the negative standing you get for breaking blocks in the village. I'm not exactly sure how it works however, so I don't know if you get more standing for killing mobs, or lose more standing for breaking blocks.

As for the crops, did you try right-click harvesting them? Or did you just break and plant?

Draco18s

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea and no impression of how long a year is in Minecraft days, or when looking at the calendar how far into the current season I am and how soon the next one will be coming. I feel like perhaps being more transparent to the player might make the frustrations less frustrating.

I'd be happy to have it provide more info if I had a good idea of what info would actually be transparent. That is, how should I display it, knowing that the year length is variable (based on the config)?

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm... If you're able to find out the current day #, then you can divide it by the configured year length (to get the # of completed years), then subtract (year length * # of completed years) to find out the current day in this year.

Draco18s

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm... If you're able to find out the current day #, then you can divide it by the configured year length (to get the # of completed years), then subtract (year length * # of completed years) to find out the current day in this year.

Sure, but how useful is "Summer: Day 80"?

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Fall = year * 0.5. Fall - current day = number of days left in summer.

Winter = year * 0.75. Winter - current day = number of days left until winter.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
My guess would be "Season, Days left". Maybe add the current year and day if you have room. This would allow the player a way to plan for the end of the season.

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
My guess would be "Season, Days left". Maybe add the current year and day if you have room. This would allow the player a way to plan for the end of the season.

Having some idea of the next change, either by "day x of y year" (I can divide by four in my head), or the preferable more verbose option reteo outlined, would be nice. There's lots of room in the tooltip, I think.

Draco18s

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I'll add that to my notes. Likely won't get to it for a while due to a more important project.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Once you have something, let me know, and I'll give it a test run.